Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/16/2014 4:34:26 PM EDT
My guess is that much of the market is probably using whatever came stock on your setup, but I know there are LOTS of variation in the glass for night vision monoculars, and binoculars, as well as various coatings for all of the ANVIS setups.

I read in another thread that someone suggested using ANVIS eyepieces instead of PVS-14 eyepieces because they offer greater eye relief for a rifle setup. Is there anything you specifically use for all of your builds because you've found it to have better qualities for certain types of usage? If so, what?

I mainly raise topic because I am in the middle of a build right now, and I'm actually debating on which glass and housing to use. I've been tossing around the idea of picking up AB Night Vision's new MOD-3. I also have an AVS-9 housing currently on its way to me, so I'm wondering how that will compare to my AVS-6, my PVS-14, or my MUM.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 5:31:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I was told that the PVS-14 30mm eyepiece and the ANVIS eyepiece are the same except that the PVS-14 eyepiece has the threaded inner ring for the eyecup whereas the ANVIS does not.

The coatings on the ANVIS objective lense are supposed to reduce green cockpit glare... and they are a full turn for focusing vs. 1/2 a turn for the PVS-14 objective lens.

I am sure others will have more information.

G.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 5:46:01 PM EDT
[#2]
there are a few different anvis eyepiece types.

There's this one:

and this.

They don't take the same parts, because I'm currently sitting on 2 lens cells for #2, that I was hoping would fit in #1. #2 looks like the same setup as a PVS-14 eyepiece.

I know when I've torn them down, I've come across lenses where the inside of the lenses isn't always the same either, so there is likely more variances, as well.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:40:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, there are actually like 4 or 5 different kinds, I've read a thread about that in the archive I think...

My PVS-14 Pitbull has an eyepiece just like #2, with a thread inside the lens ring for screwing the rubber eyecup.

I think the #1 one is from an older device (I think AVS-6). The new style for ANVIS and PVS-14 is 30mm AFAIK.

G.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 10:52:26 PM EDT
[#4]

Or a fully printable ocular lens, with threads the same as the objective ( doesn't take much to work out that has a few uses ) - And takes COTS astronomy lenses for different purposes.

Regards

David
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 12:26:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Or a fully printable ocular lens, with threads the same as the objective ( doesn't take much to work out that has a few uses ) - And takes COTS astronomy lenses for different purposes.

http://aunv.blackice.com.au/userfiles/david-IMG_0932_Custom_2.JPG

Regards
David
View Quote

Pretty nice housing! :) I downloaded the STL files from your site and maybe I'll attempt to build it.. :)

G.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:24:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Regards
David
View Quote

I've often thought about picking up a 3d printer and trying to improve upon bnvd designs.

How solid is one of your housings? What printer are you using?
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:32:24 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I've often thought about picking up a 3d printer and trying to improve upon bnvd designs.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Regards

David

General estimates are that printed parts are about 1/2 as strong as injection moulded parts, which is plenty when you consider what that means, and you can always add structural mass since it's very light anyway.

I use a PP3DP UP! Mini, and black ABS, with CorelCAD for designwork -

Regards

David

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 12:33:40 PM EDT
[#8]
is the pp3dp mini good enough for your needs, or would the Plus 2 be better suited, since it is a higher resolution, albeit at 2x the price.

I was also looking at XYZ's DiVinci 1.0 http://www.amazon.com/XYZprinting-Da-Vinci-1-0-Printer/dp/B00H7VEU0G/ref=lp_6066127011_1_1?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1418833349&sr=1-1

Are you happy with your setup?
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:29:04 PM EDT
[#9]
oh jeez, thanks...

guess what I walked out of Home Depot with today. lol.

It'll print 100 Micron resolution. $999. $25 bucks a spool. It is a rebadged flashforge, but the support comes from AutoDesk, Dremel/Bosch.

Is there any place that has the 3d cad drawings of the pvs parts? I wanted to print up some eyepiece parts, tube retention rings, etc. :-)
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:49:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've been interested in getting a 3D printer for a while now, and I think I'm ready to bite.

What do you think is the best printer in the $5,000 - $7500 range?

From what I understand, it's a balance between speed, quality / fine detail ability, project size, and material handling ability. I'd like to be able to print at least 305mm (12-inches) in all three axis with probably a maximum layer thickness of 0.02mm at a minimum of 150mm/s, at least two (2) heads and would be able to handle all 6-7 of the popular materials.

Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:20:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Very nice find, I might have to check it out!!

Thanks.

G.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 8:51:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I've been interested in getting a 3D printer for a while now, and I think I'm ready to bite.

From what I understand, it's a balance between speed, quality / fine detail ability, project size, and material handling ability. I'd like to be able to print at least 305mm (12-inches) in all three axis with probably a maximum layer thickness of 0.02mm at a minimum of 150mm/s, at least two (2) heads and would be able to handle all 6-7 of the popular materials.

Any thoughts?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any thoughts?

You can get an insanely good printer for that range take a look at

http://www.3ders.org/pricecompare/3dprinters/
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:11:42 AM EDT
[#13]
You would still need the drawings and software for what you wish to make. I picked up the cheaper version, because I just plan to prototype my designs, and I'll likely still send stuff off to places like http://www.shapeways.com/

I'm not sure how the 5k versions compare, other than giving you a much larger design platform. I'm still not sure I made the better choice, because David's printer was much more economical. I just wanted the 30 day in store return policy through Home Depot to make sure the technology works for me and that the unit is up to par with my needs.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:33:07 AM EDT
[#14]

Apologies to the OP for hijacking the thread, but since the OP has joined in, I'll take that as an endorsement -

Horta - an important question is what kind of modelling are you looking at? FDM ( Fused Deposition Modelling ) has limits on the Z-axis and I don't think anything past around 50 micron is all that practical at the moment, also even once you look past technical limitations, there are questions such as how the unit puts together the models, what you're using it for, etc.

If you're looking at higher resolutions, SLS or laser-hardened resin systems might be more practical depending on application -

I am pushing the limits of 200 micron technology with a 1mm thread ( five layers/thread ) and this may not be improved at lower resolutions - I've yet to see any detailed fine prints that qualify -

One thing is certain, we're only touching the very beginning of what 3D printers will do for NV - Future upgrades will be very commonly disseminated through files, though in this sense, ITAR is more of a problem than with physical items, as files posted to the Internet are considered as exports under ITAR.

Regards

David
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:58:23 AM EDT
[#15]
You're good - I've adjusted the title. Its okay that the thread went a little off course. I guess nobody cared about optics anyhow. lol.

With you being much more versed in ITAR than I am, do you know what can and can't be shared within the realm of ITAR - at least from an AU perspective? Is the entire design of anything 3rd gen off limits, or are things like lenses, and empty battery housings free game?

Like you, I also want to make sure I don't violate ITAR if I get into this, but I'd also like to start posting my drawings so the open source community can improve upon them - as that is the spirit of innovation. What if I build my own custom housing to hold dual MX-10160 tubes, that is threaded for PVS-14 Objectives, and eyepieces - will my design also be subject to ITAR restrictions and not freely sharable or open to discussion on the public domain?

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 3:53:10 PM EDT
[#16]
If you guys want to print up a bridge for two PVS 14s I will offer my services as product test/evaluator
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 4:16:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If you guys want to print up a bridge for two PVS 14s I will offer my services as product test/evaluator
View Quote

Or maybe an ANVIS setup?
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 4:25:50 PM EDT
[#18]
can't print the electronics, so either way, there will be some custom fab work.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 4:29:09 PM EDT
[#19]
yeah, but think of it.....a pair of Gen2 D300's from eBay and a custom ANVIS style housing that fits the internals of the D300's would be relatively inexpensive and should work pretty well.  Or if you made the custom ANVIS housing to fit PVS-14 internals that would be extremely nice.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 4:30:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Man, you guys are sucking me in to the darkside of night vision......must resist the force......
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 4:44:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Man, you guys are sucking me in to the darkside of night vision......must resist the force......
View Quote

I hear ya!!

G.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 5:06:05 PM EDT
[#22]
I am talking about just a twin j arm thing kind of like the nightvision depot setup. You could then cannibalise a j arm for the clip.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 6:26:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I am talking about just a twin j arm thing kind of like the nightvision depot setup. You could then cannibalise a j arm for the clip.
View Quote

Considering how cheap that piece is, it would be more economical to buy it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 7:49:51 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

You're good - I've adjusted the title. Its okay that the thread went a little off course. I guess nobody cared about optics anyhow. lol.

With you being much more versed in ITAR than I am, do you know what can and can't be shared within the realm of ITAR - at least from an AU perspective? Is the entire design of anything 3rd gen off limits, or are things like lenses, and empty battery housings free game?

Like you, I also want to make sure I don't violate ITAR if I get into this, but I'd also like to start posting my drawings so the open source community can improve upon them - as that is the spirit of innovation. What if I build my own custom housing to hold dual MX-10160 tubes, that is threaded for PVS-14 Objectives, and eyepieces - will my design also be subject to ITAR restrictions and not freely sharable or open to discussion on the public domain?

View Quote

Trying to predict ITAR is like trying to nail jelly to a tree. About the only real way to be certain is to request an technical evaluation - In my case, it's all done under treaty and the details are specified by the US State Dept, so I imagine that ITAR is very similar here and in the US, except we don't call it ITAR here, we call it defence trade controls ( and the USML we "rebadge" as the DSGL ) - so if something is controlled in Australia, it's automatically controlled in the US, and vice versa. I guess it's possible that something could be controlled in one country and not the other, but I'd imagine that a part in Australia which is determined as not controlled could reasonably be trusted to be not-controlled in the US also.

Anyway, I don't try to guess, I send in the paperwork to defence and they have analysts who compare my request to the US requirements and then either tell me it's not controlled, or send me permits as required. Generally a very helpful bunch, and nice guys to deal with.

As for posting the stuff to the Internet? A good question - that's what got Cody Wilson ( 3d Printed Gun guy - defence distributed, etc ) in hot water - He got caught out for posting the stuff to the Internet, and the files were deemed "controlled" - and it was pretty obvious they were going to do that to begin with, so if he foresaw that, he would have made a request to the PMDDTC for a technical evaluation before he started talking about the products - posting photo's is fine, but since a 3D file lets you build something, that's a different matter - Of course, I have no idea what the PMDDTC charge for the service in the US - It's probably fairly expensive in Australia, but the government is footing the bill for me, so I can operate as a smaller manufacturer.

They do have a "sharing" group - it's called "defence community" but things can't be shared publicly.

Yeah, it does kind of destroy innovation somewhat - :(

Regards

David
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 6:41:08 PM EDT
[#25]
I was bummed about not having dual print heads, so I ran over to micro center today and picked up a PowerSpec 3D Pro Printer - which is a clone of Flashforges Creator Pro / Makerbot. It is less locked down than the dremel, and handles more media types. It is on sale for $799 until the end of the month. Some minor assembly required.

The dremel unit is a really well put together package, and the instructions are top notch. I just don't like that it can't print support material using a filament that dissolves. I figure I'll run both and see which one prints better. I ran into some issues with the Dremel printing some of its clear media, so I was debating on returning it for that reason.

I wanted clear so I can print my own light pipes.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top