Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/16/2014 2:40:23 PM EDT
After serious consideration of Night Vision scopes and performance in general, the IR Defense "IR Hunter MK II" has me second guessing myself.

Is the increased price in a Thermal scope worth it?  Granted at ~$6500, you are talking about twice the cost of a good 3rd generation NV solution.  However, I'm not really interested in the general observation capabilities of most NV solutions so, the ability to pick out HOGS at night in overcast skies or a moonless night, though fog or precipitation in general, and picking out animals camouflaged by the landscape seem to favor a thermal solution.  I should also note that I have easy access to a great pair of PVS-7's so, I can use those for general observation duties and grab the rifle as needed when I see a hog.

Why did you choose one over the other?  Any regrets with your choice?

TIA,
Sid
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 2:48:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 3:45:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Note that I have zero experience. Just hours of watching hog hunting videos. And I am currently lusting after the IR Hunter MKII as well.

But it seems like thermal is the way to go. When they start scattering and running you just look for the hot spots.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 4:30:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Since you've already got 7's spend your money on a handheld thermal and a gun mounted ir laser.  I wouldn't like just having gun mounted thermal because it wouldn't be convenient to use from a vehicle and you don't usually want to point your gun at everything.   I'm wanting to get the mark II before long but I already have a handheld thermal and gen 3 nv.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 4:31:33 PM EDT
[#4]
It's pretty hard to beat a helmet mounted nv and rifle mounted ir laser for the shot
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 4:32:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I went with NV, since I'm in Texas and it gets pretty warm.   What I'm thinking is that anything thermal will be a problem at longer ranges.   So, I went with thermal handheld and NV binocs and IR laser.  Can anyone comment on thermal use during summer months and warmer times?
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 8:10:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Based all my experience, if I could have only one NV device it would be thermal.

Even if you are just using it to locate, it simply blows NV away.

ID is a problem, you either have to get very close to ID, or just use white light when it comes to shooty time.

It also sucks for all around night activity and situation awareness.  But all of this can be handled with white light as well.  

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 8:13:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Can anyone comment on thermal use during summer months and warmer times?
View Quote

It really isn't an issue for the most part.  You might get some false posatives if there are lot of rocks around but you just observe for a while and watch for movement.  Rainy weather is just about the only that that makes thermal suck.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 8:33:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Even in the pouring down rain in the middle of a severe thunderstorm it works better than anything else!

When I shot these at night in the middle of a terrible thunderstorm, I was concerned for my own safety from all the lightning!
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 8:56:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Yall stop, you are making me want thermals
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 8:58:22 PM EDT
[#10]
You've read the comments above from season vets.   As a rookie, and brand new owner of a thermal weapon scope, I wish I would have made the investment a while ago.  I've used a Gen 3 D740 for  over a year.   The D740 NV scope is nice but it will be staying behind if I can only pack one gun.  

Granted I wear a PVS14 helmet mounted.  But if u can borrow the 7's, you'll be glad u got a thermal rig.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:01:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Well I picked up the IRHunterMKII-640-480-35 last week and it is incredible, and you can use it during the day.

No problem IDing rabbits, skunks. coyotes, Dillos, birds, ducks etc. Obviously there is relationship between size and distance you can ID at, but it seems for distances I shoot at, not an issue.

Actual video in the viewfinder is significantly better (Wild Thing rabbits are 50 yards out).

http://youtu.be/kB4cc6HP1ss
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:11:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Having the better clarity of a 640 detector vs a 320 detector will help  with some of the identification problems. I believe most of the youtube vids are 320. I never carry my 3x nvg magnifier since my mark 2 is 2.5X. The more you use thermal the more you will be able to tell the difference between coyotes, deer, hogs, etc. Based on body shape and also thier behavior. For example, if it raises its head above its shoulder its not a hog. A black hog still looks black with nv, but deer, coyotes, and most other animals retain thier camo colors when viewed with nv. All thier camo goes away when viewed with thermal.  I have noticed that high humidity nights really degrade thermal images, regardless of temperature. You can still see what is hot, but the background all blends together. I am going to make it a point to take some pics of the same scene right after a rain when the humidity is in the upper 90s.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:13:43 PM EDT
[#13]
While ideally they're complementary technologies, if it were a matter of either / or, and if I had to be specific, it would be the UTM-x (thermal). Take a FLIR M18 Recon 640, mash it together with a FLIR T70 clip-on and the IR Hunter Mk2 35mm, then add in a dash of PEQ-15 and roll it into a package that fits in the palm of your hand and mates to your weapon via a Wilcox STS mount -- then make it better than every single one of those units at their specific individual task.

Voila! Nirvana.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:28:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Weeeeell, the utm only has 2x digital zoom. The mark 2 image still looks pretty good at 10x, but almost useless for me at 20x. I think the smaller the front lens equals less detection range too. Having a ten year warranty makes me feel warm and fuzzy also.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:36:16 PM EDT
[#15]
This large boar died in an absolute downpour.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qn21PGQXamw
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:48:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
While ideally they're complementary technologies, if it were a matter of either / or, and if I had to be specific, it would be the UTM-x (thermal). Take a FLIR M18 Recon 640, mash it together with a FLIR T70 clip-on and the IR Hunter Mk2 35mm, then add in a dash of PEQ-15 and roll it into a package that fits in the palm of your hand and mates to your weapon via a Wilcox STS mount -- then make it better than every single one of those units at their specific individual task.

Voila! Nirvana.
View Quote

The more I hear you talk about your UTM-X, the more I want to stack it up against my LWTS.  I'm not interested so much in the additional laser capabilities, just the image quality.  
Drawing from my experience hunting small vermin at night, and my one and only hog hunting adventure (a successful adventure ), I would absolutely take a QUALITY thermal sight over gen 3 NV.  If you already have access to a gen 3 to use, then get a thermal sight.  On SUPER dark nights, plus or minus being under a thick tree canopy, even gen 3 starts to run out of gas.  A good illuminator will improve things dramatically in those circumstances, but still not as good as thermal IMHO.  I will hang onto my PVS-14 and Crye Nightcap because they are indispensable for walking around hands free and using an IR laser.  Any thermal will provide you, at the very least, with LOTS more opportunities to take shots...  truly good thermal provides much, much more.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:54:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Weeeeell, the utm only has 2x digital zoom. The mark 2 image still looks pretty good at 10x, but almost useless for me at 20x. I think the smaller the front lens equals less detection range too. Having a ten year warranty makes me feel warm and fuzzy also.
View Quote

Good luck carrying that Mk2 around your neck or on your helmet.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 2:16:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Have to say I have used the I2 for years. I'm getting thermal now.

I'll let you know
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 12:41:55 PM EDT
[#19]
If you are shooting around cows you are crazy to use only thermal unless it is a high end unit.  Of course I am crazy careful since all my hunting is around cows and 2/3 of the time they are mixed.  All fun and games until I can't hunt an area for killing a calf.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 1:44:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It's pretty hard to beat a helmet mounted nv and rifle mounted ir laser for the shot
View Quote

I disagree, unless you are shooting from a supported position. With the NOD flipped down you can't get a good cheek weld (with a scope on the rifle) and have to shoot from high ready. It is harder to get a good hold. The thermal scope is far easier to get a good sight picture and make a precise shot. I use my laser as a backup to the FLIR, or for pointing pigs out to others without thermal who CANT SEE THEM in their II NV. Yes it happens. I'll take a thermal scope over a laser any night.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 2:38:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
This topic has been covered many times.... <snip>
View Quote

Yes, I was a little surprised my search yielded nothing and there wasn't a 'sticky' about this topic.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 2:51:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If you are shooting around cows you are crazy to use only thermal unless it is a high end unit.  Of course I am crazy careful since all my hunting is around cows and 2/3 of the time they are mixed.  All fun and games until I can't hunt an area for killing a calf.
View Quote

Same here.  We've got cows on most of our property and the pigs will mix in on occasion.  

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 2:52:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I disagree, unless you are shooting from a supported position. With the NOD flipped down you can't get a good cheek weld (with a scope on the rifle) and have to shoot from high ready. It is harder to get a good hold. The thermal scope is far easier to get a good sight picture and make a precise shot. I use my laser as a backup to the FLIR, or for pointing pigs out to others without thermal who CANT SEE THEM in their II NV. Yes it happens. I'll take a thermal scope over a laser any night.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

With a PVS-7 or dual tubes, yes very hard to get a cheek weld.  I have zero trouble with it though with a 14 on the non dominant eye.  That said, the OP has access to 7's so that could very well be an issue for him.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 2:53:16 PM EDT
[#24]
First, let me say THANK YOU to everyone who contributed to this thread.  Turns out the two Gen 3 NV scopes I was looking at (TNVC) are no longer available so, I'm basically starting over regarding NV scopes.  However, it really seems like I should go ahead and pony up the extra $$ and go with a thermal solution.

I can still use the bins with a laser for "walking around" and target confirmation but, is seems like the thermal solution is the best for what I want to use it for.

Best Regards,
Sid
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 2:56:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

With a PVS-7 or dual tubes, yes very hard to get a cheek weld.  I have zero trouble with it though with a 14 on the non dominant eye.  That said, the OP has access to 7's so that could very well be an issue for him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is no way I could use the PVS-7's with a rifle on my shoulder and any type of cheek weld.  I could "John Wayne" it with a laser though for something close.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:37:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have no problem differentiating animals of that size out to hundreds of yards with my IRHunter 640x480x35

Last night I differentiated a skunk from 4-5 rabbits at 75+ yards.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 5:56:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:47:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Thermal is far superior for hog hunting IMHO.
http://youtu.be/251i3NVuE_k?list=UUAAKdTOoK-w7mVAj3VP7evg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
After serious consideration of Night Vision scopes and performance in general, the IR Defense "IR Hunter MK II" has me second guessing myself.

Is the increased price in a Thermal scope worth it?  Granted at ~$6500, you are talking about twice the cost of a good 3rd generation NV solution.  However, I'm not really interested in the general observation capabilities of most NV solutions so, the ability to pick out HOGS at night in overcast skies or a moonless night, though fog or precipitation in general, and picking out animals camouflaged by the landscape seem to favor a thermal solution.  I should also note that I have easy access to a great pair of PVS-7's so, I can use those for general observation duties and grab the rifle as needed when I see a hog.

Why did you choose one over the other?  Any regrets with your choice?

TIA,
Sid
Thermal is far superior for hog hunting IMHO.
http://youtu.be/251i3NVuE_k?list=UUAAKdTOoK-w7mVAj3VP7evg

What NV and thermal sight was used? That thermal video was incredibly clear
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:52:31 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

First, let me say THANK YOU to everyone who contributed to this thread.  Turns out the two Gen 3 NV scopes I was looking at (TNVC) are no longer available so, I'm basically starting over regarding NV scopes.  However, it really seems like I should go ahead and pony up the extra $$ and go with a thermal solution.

I can still use the bins with a laser for "walking around" and target confirmation but, is seems like the thermal solution is the best for what I want to use it for.

Best Regards,

Sid
View Quote

BE CAREFUL if you buy a thermal weapon scope.  Especially when you first start using it, it takes a while for your brain to really get used to what it is seeing in a thermal scope.  

Even today after literally hundreds of hours of eyeball time behind one form of thermal sensor or another, my first impression of what I'm looking at can be wrong.  

Be patient, get close, observe observe observe until you are sure.  I know people who have screwed up and they were experienced hunters.

Also be aware that if it is a weapon scope, you will probably want a quick disconnect mount.  It keeps you from having to point a gun at everything you want to look at.  Even if that isn't an issue, there are times when you just want to observe and not deal with the bulk of a rifle.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:02:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:04:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Eggsactly, as BushmanLA stated, you just don't get a new thermal and go out blasting every thermal signature you see, it take lots of time, practice, and experience to become proficient in its use, especially under various changing environmental climate conditions.

It becomes easy to ID, but only with experience!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpH6W8RjyYo
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:10:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:15:37 PM EDT
[#33]
what is WPT night vision?
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:21:49 PM EDT
[#34]
My biggest hassle with thermal is stalking bedded down deer, there will be 4, 6,8 bedded down deer and I walk a half mile to stalk them out and discover they are deer. Deer do have a distinctive head portrait and body shape and walk though so not a problem when close enough, but still allot of false positives....

Also, I call in allot of bobcats and gray foxes when calling coyotes and have to discriminate them.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:22:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
what is WPT night vision?
View Quote

A "white" instead of "green" tube output.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:32:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Here is a video of a herd of bedded down deer I saw from over 1/2 mile away and stalked up to them only to find they were deer, however on the way back came up on some hogs, easy to tell the difference in the video and in real life....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mv8kf28SkrI
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:48:04 PM EDT
[#37]
I bought thermal first and then decided I'd need some NV to positively ID, especially since we've got lots of deer and cows on the property.  So I had TNVC hook me up with their PVS-14.  The combo of gen 3 NV and thermal is where it's at.  I don't think I could go back to just one or the other.  I would have a gun mounted thermal only if I already had a handheld thermal and some sort of head mounted NV.  I'm very pleased with my setup right now.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:59:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I bought thermal first and then decided I'd need some NV to positively ID, especially since we've got lots of deer and cows on the property.  So I had TNVC hook me up with their PVS-14.  The combo of gen 3 NV and thermal is where it's at.  I don't think I could go back to just one or the other.  I would have a gun mounted thermal only if I already had a handheld thermal and some sort of head mounted NV.  I'm very pleased with my setup right now.
View Quote

Pics of setup please
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:05:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Will do.  It's up at the ranch but I'll be up there Sunday and will take a pic.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:50:29 AM EDT
[#40]
Here's a video I made that includes a split-screen comparison of night vision vs. thermal footage that was taken simultaneously during a recent hog hunt. The thermal was recorded on a Thor 336 3x through the video out and the night vision video was through an L3 Omni VIII PVS-14 taken with an iPhone

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:42:26 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:49:01 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:04:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Here's a video I made that includes a split-screen comparison of night vision vs. thermal footage that was taken simultaneously during a recent hog hunt. The thermal was recorded on a Thor 336 3x through the video out and the night vision video was through an L3 Omni VIII PVS-14 taken with an iPhone

http://youtu.be/LypWxDb1A_M?list=UUotuDuYyKE3VLA4fcs_5ihA
View Quote

Cool vid and those were not nerves
I went through your playlist and that vid comparing the different tubes was eye opening.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:11:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Great video!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://youtu.be/LypWxDb1A_M?list=UUotuDuYyKE3VLA4fcs_5ihA
Great video!

Thanks! I enjoy watching all your videos
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:15:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

BE CAREFUL if you buy a thermal weapon scope.  Especially when you first start using it, it takes a while for your brain to really get used to what it is seeing in a thermal scope.  
Even today after literally hundreds of hours of eyeball time behind one form of thermal sensor or another, my first impression of what I'm looking at can be wrong.  

Be patient, get close, observe observe observe until you are sure.  I know people who have screwed up and they were experienced hunters.

Also be aware that if it is a weapon scope, you will probably want a quick disconnect mount.  It keeps you from having to point a gun at everything you want to look at.  Even if that isn't an issue, there are times when you just want to observe and not deal with the bulk of a rifle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Best Regards,
Sid

Every damn thing Bushman said is 100% reflected in my experience.  Every single damn word.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:35:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Thanks again everyone!  These posts are really helpful to this NV novice.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:01:16 PM EDT
[#47]
You can kill a shit ton of hogs with a good gen 3 740/760 or clip on unit. Does one work better than the other?  That depends on conditions. If your hog hunting black really stands out using I2. With a good tube you can hunt the darkest nights without a illuminator and still have good range. Open areas like pastures are much better than river bottoms. Nights with a little moon or more you can see clear as day, and have great id on targets. Rain, fog can be a issue and give you limited range, and have issues with lens fogging.  

Now Thermal is far superior in detection over I2. In the past proper id was a hinderance due to lack of resolution. While still not on par with I2 a 640 core is dam good to ID a animal. Like someone previously mentioned the more you use thermal the easier it will become to ID a animal due to the way the animal moves. Thermal can still have problems in certain conditions. Take a relatively cool overcast day that is windy and you will be looking at a washed out image in your viewer.  Also, on nights were a front comes through and you have a wind chill effect your image will degrade over the course of he night.

Navigation I2 can't be beat. A pvs or dual set up with a thermal viewer paired with a quality gen 3 scope is pretty hard to beat for hog hunting.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:36:51 PM EDT
[#48]
At the moment all I have is a PVS-7 and a DBAL I2. It has worked great for me, but I am generally shooting less than 100 yards due to the property I hunt. I will say if you're walking around, and laser mounted on a rifle is a hell of a lot lighter than a rifle mounted NV or thermal optic.

Dad bought a D-760 from TNVC several years ago, and I must say for that kind of weight, I would rather have a thermal optic to compliment helmet mounted NVG's. However, if you want to be able to positively ID a target at 100+ yards, you pretty much need a magnified NV optic.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:11:21 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
You can kill a shit ton of hogs with a good gen 3 740/760 or clip on unit. Does one work better than the other?  That depends on conditions. If your hog hunting black really stands out using I2. With a good tube you can hunt the darkest nights without a illuminator and still have good range. Open areas like pastures are much better than river bottoms. Nights with a little moon or more you can see clear as day, and have great id on targets. Rain, fog can be a issue and give you limited range, and have issues with lens fogging.  

Now Thermal is far superior in detection over I2. In the past proper id was a hinderance due to lack of resolution. While still not on par with I2 a 640 core is dam good to ID a animal. Like someone previously mentioned the more you use thermal the easier it will become to ID a animal due to the way the animal moves. Thermal can still have problems in certain conditions. Take a relatively cool overcast day that is windy and you will be looking at a washed out image in your viewer.  Also, on nights were a front comes through and you have a wind chill effect your image will degrade over the course of he night.

Navigation I2 can't be beat. A pvs or dual set up with a thermal viewer paired with a quality gen 3 scope is pretty hard to beat for hog hunting.
View Quote

Lots of very good info above!  I have several thermal and NV mono/scope's plus have used them in lots of conditions over the past few years. To be honest  neither is perfect all the time.

Thermal is great on really dark nights and provides a bright pictures while my NV scopes may need extra IR to really enhance the image in extreme darkness.    

Thermal seems faster to find and put rounds on a target even critters hidden in high grass or light brush.

Thermal can often see through fog or light rain that makes my NV near useless.

NV provides higher overall resolution helping to positive ID targets better.

NV is way better on battery life as most thermals eat batteries like candy

NV is much simpler to use and shoot having less controls ,buttons ,modes and etc to mess around with.

This last week we had lite drizzle and overcast skies so when darkness came my thermal systems really didn't perform well. My NV scope allowed me a much better image that night.

Overall it's a hard choice to pick one or the other and there's really not a right or wrong anwser. My favorite combo would be a  good thermal mono for scanning followed up by a gen 3 NV scope for ID and shot. This combo really works well to cover a lot of ground quickly.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:36:31 AM EDT
[#50]
Is this a thermal vs. night vision thread ??? If so I am here to defend my night vision scopes !!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top