BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:07:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well well well, what do we have here.....(prototypes for sure, but still!)

http://i.imgur.com/qc4A5HE.jpg
View Quote

Jimmybp, is the binocular bridge the same as on the MOD-3?
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:53:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm digging the optical pod concept. But I'm not 100% on the ANVIS style execution.

I'd like to see a PVS-31 style body with internal/external power options and the ability to run it as a monocular.

This way, you could build it over time starting as a useable externally powered monocular, and it would allow the monocular to be flipped out of the way and fold flat (like an invg) when stowed.

The ANVIS style is useable, but there's a ton that could be done with the pod concept in a more versatile manner.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:04:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well well well, what do we have here.....(prototypes for sure, but still!)

http://i.imgur.com/qc4A5HE.jpg

Really dont know, I just found that pic last night, googling around. I'd assume so, I guess we'll all find out when you or anyone else gets their builds back.

I'll admit that I'd would also prefer a PVS15/ BNVD style bridge to the ANVIS style. That said, they are more than functional and because they are modular, there's no reason a pivoting style bridge couldn't be fabbed up at some other point down the road. Don't know if it ever will be, I think Augee mentioned floating the idea to AB and that it wasn't really on the table for the foreseeable future.

Still, the prototype for 11769 tubes is out there, no idea on cost, but the MOD-3 is less than a Sentinel at the moment and you can break it into individual monocular's, RAD
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:57:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Maybe we'll get a mod four :)

I want a PVS18 style socket, with built in dovetails, and a PVS15 style too.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 3:50:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
OK Augee, how's this going?
View Quote

Pretty well.  

More complete report forthcoming - hopefully sooner than later!  

~Augee
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 3:55:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Augee, I am so jealous.  Ryan is still building mine......(cue up Anticipation by Carly Simon )
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 10:21:17 AM EDT
[#7]
So when is this complete report coming? I am debating on one of these, too. :-)
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 11:43:12 AM EDT
[#8]
UPS decided to delay mine so instead of getting them tomorrow I have to wait until Monday to hold them in my grubby mitts.

I have to give a great big 2 thumbs up for rbhoover and Nightlong Ind.  Great guy to work with on getting my MOD-3's built.  Can't say enough positive things about them, easy to work with, answers questions quickly and thoroughly, and does what he says he will.  He even went above and beyond and threw some eyepiece adapter rings on my ocular lenses at no charge so if anyone is thinking of getting a MOD-3 built you really need to talk to them first.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 1:46:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So when is this complete report coming? I am debating on one of these, too. :-)
View Quote

Soon.  

All I can say is it's going to be a big post, and I've been quite busy... and yes, I selfishly took some time that I could have been using to write a review for ARFCOM re-painting my MK 12 MOD 0 clone last night.  

Because NV gear is so expensive, and I'm so tight-assed when it comes to buying stuff, I'd like to do a decent review that covers a lot of information, and I've gotten a pretty good amount of use out of these over the last month or so, so I don't want to just post a "hey, lookit what I got, these are cool and good" "review," I'd like to do a good job of covering them so that other tight-asses can use the information to make their own better informed decisions.  

One issue is that even over the course of a month - you can accumulate a lot of minor issues and things that could be better or simply improved to the point where, when you write them all up, it looks like you've got nothing but a laundry list of complaints - but that doesn't accurately convey your overall impressions/feelings.  

But - to keep the wolves at bay () - the TL;DR version:

Love 'em, extremely glad I got 'em, IMHO, worth the cost, particularly considering that you not only get a set of great binoculars, but you also get two monocular adapters and the capability to run them both independently.  

A couple of minor compatibility issues - kind of inevitable given the number of mounts and accessories available, it's pretty difficult to try every single combination ahead of time -

The binocular bridge works with the Norotos TATM Short-Arm and locks in solidly, and works very well - however, once installed - the power knob housing almost completely restricts easy access to the release knob on the TATM, making it difficult to remove the NOD from the mount - personally, I *have* to remove the mount from the helmet to remove the NOD.  

The monocular adapter with the Norotos DDA will not allow you to mount the monocular over your left eye when using a Wilcox mount, which, unfortunately for me is my non-dominant and preferred eye, and has me looking to trade my DDA, which I otherwise love - for a Wilcox I-Arm, because I love my Wilcox L4 G24 even more.    Mounts over the right eye no problem in this configuration, though.  

Posted these already in the helmet thread, but -

They're a way better solution, IMHO, than bridged monoculars, as their lighter weight, lower profile, and still maintain full functionality of both - the only thing it doesn't have that a dual PVS-14 setup would is manual gain, and there are MX-11769 tube optical pods in the works already, that should make converting PVS-14s too easy.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 3:05:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Awesome post.

Can you check and see if they work with an AKA2?
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 3:38:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Awesome post.

Can you check and see if they work with an AKA2?
View Quote

Send me one, and I'll let you know.  

No, no, kidding, seriously, I have more mounts than I know what to deal with right now already that I've somehow managed to accumulate from having nothing but legacy Rhinos until relatively recently.    Despite the difficulty releasing the device from the mount, I still love the TATM, and intend to continue using it - luckily, the Norotos shroud footprint is very nice and smooth and easy to remove and mount.  

That being said, rbhoover has posted pictures using the MOD-3 with an AKA2, and he was consulted designing it as well, so I assume it works without issue with it - just looking at the two without trying it, the AKA2's device release is on the front, vice the side, and a different format, and it doesn't appear as though it would interfere with the MOD-3 at all.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 10:23:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Best contact for rbhoover (Ryan)?  Through site or company email?
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 11:18:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Best contact for rbhoover (Ryan)?  Through site or company email?
View Quote

I would just email him through his company.  He replies pretty quickly.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 7:40:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The monocular adapter with the Norotos DDA will not allow you to mount the monocular over your left eye when using a Wilcox mount, which, unfortunately for me is my non-dominant and preferred eye, and has me looking to trade my DDA, which I otherwise love - for a Wilcox I-Arm, because I love my Wilcox L4 G24 even more.    Mounts over the right eye no problem in this configuration, though.  
View Quote

were you able to get the monocular pod over your left eye using the DDA with the TATM (or AKA2 or w/e norotos mount)?
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 8:19:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

were you able to get the monocular pod over your left eye using the DDA with the TATM (or AKA2 or w/e norotos mount)?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, works just fine with the TATM and DDA on either eye, and I think a couple of folks are using them with AKA2s as well.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_18/441007_AB_Night_Vision_MOD_3_Modular_Night_Vision_Device.html&page=1#i4265163

~Augee
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 12:41:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Is there a ball/detent mount option available to use these in a Surface Anvis Mount?
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 7:24:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Is there a ball/detent mount option available to use these in a Surface Anvis Mount?
View Quote

99% sure it is dovetail only,
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 10:07:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not yet.  

I'm hoping that an ANVIS mount bridge will eventually become available, but as I understand, there are no current plans.    

~Augee
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 1:35:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

There is no plan for an ANVIS ball/detent type mount that I am aware of. Comparing the MOD-3's bridge to the ANVIS and Sentinel, I don't believe there would be enough 'real estate' to have that style mount without significant redesign. I would imagine if there is enough of a market for it, Adam would be willing to design one though. What is 'enough' I have no idea?
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 1:53:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 1:29:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I'd settle for a modular battery pack on the bridge so you could run an external battery pack or stand alone battery. Think PVS31s
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is no plan for an ANVIS ball/detent type mount that I am aware of. Comparing the MOD-3's bridge to the ANVIS and Sentinel, I don't believe there would be enough 'real estate' to have that style mount without significant redesign. I would imagine if there is enough of a market for it, Adam would be willing to design one though. What is 'enough' I have no idea?

I'd settle for a modular battery pack on the bridge so you could run an external battery pack or stand alone battery. Think PVS31s

I would be happy with this.

In an ideal world, I would want to have both a lightweight, external battery only ANVIS-style bridge with the ball detent mount, and PVS-31-style bridge.

E-mail write-in campaign to AB Night Vision, anyone?  

~Augee
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 6:38:58 AM EDT
[#22]
I already emailed Adam telling him he nearly lost my business due to not having an external battery pack option. I also requested a ball/detent mount.

I move through a lot of gear, so if i tend to still dig my ANVIS setup better. These will probably go on the chopping block so I can get the sentinel from Chris at AI ($1700).

I like having the option to run AA batteries.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 7:21:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I already emailed Adam telling him he nearly lost my business due to not having an external battery pack option. I also requested a ball/detent mount.

I move through a lot of gear, so if i tend to still dig my ANVIS setup better. These will probably go on the chopping block so I can get the sentinel from Chris at AI ($1700).

I like having the option to run AA batteries.
View Quote

Sentinel battery pack is pretty nice being able to run AA's or CR123's in it
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top