Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/27/2014 7:51:43 PM EDT
Thinking of setting up a dedicated NV weapon.  Ideas on caliber & features welcomed.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 9:21:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a gen 1 scope on a silenced 7in AR22. Works wonders on pest control duty.
Pic f I'm before fo m 1 cleared.
Yes it's five different colors. It'll be magpul fde or hydro dipped sooner or later.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 9:42:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Be aware of recoil and the NV optic you are planning on using.
Most stock pvs-14 units are fine with .223 but not much heavier recoil impulse cartdriges.

My rig is a SIG 556 swat & pvs-14 &  Eotech red dot.

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 9:52:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I really want something like that eventually. I could get it now, but the added cost of a divorce would put it over my limit.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:09:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Thinking of setting up a dedicated NV weapon.  Ideas on caliber & features welcomed.
View Quote

What are you hunting, and how often?

Of course, an AR is the most versatile and with certain loads you can take some good-sized game. An AR in .308 is just as versatile, but as has already been mentioned you'll want something that is stated to support that caliber.

A suppressed AR with IR laser and / or thermal scope riding a PVS-14 on your melon seems to offer the best of all worlds.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:19:54 PM EDT
[#5]
That really depends on what you plan to use it for.  You can't go wrong with a quality flat top AR type rifle with a forend that provides a full length top rail in addition to some rail estate at 3, 6, and 9 o'clock.  The lighter the better IMHO.  I like to have BUIS, X300U (or a convenient spot to stick one), grip-pod, and a sling on mine but that is preference.  Bottom line, get something flexible so it will be easily adapted for different night setups.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:40:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Want to use it for coyotes and an occassional raccoon.  No hogs where I hunt.  Probably stick with a light profile .223 AR threaded for a suppressor.  I see the value/importance of the rails for mounting an EoTech + magnifier or other combinations of NV gear.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:58:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Want to use it for coyotes and an occassional raccoon.  No hogs where I hunt.  Probably stick with a light profile .223 AR threaded for a suppressor.  I see the value/importance of the rails for mounting an EoTech + magnifier or other combinations of NV gear.
View Quote

So trips out of state as no cans in IL

Start out with an AR and it does not have to be be a high dollar one as they all kill the same way.
Pick up a PVS-14 and an IR laser as suggested and add a helmet. You can add additional items as you go if you so desire.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:07:14 AM EDT
[#8]
If I could find a green visible/ ir slaved lasers unit with a high/low switch and density filter, I would.  Sighting in non-slaved lasers seems like a PIA, and I'm worried that without a high/low setting and filter the dot size will be too large for hunting.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 11:44:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Use this for coyotes and Texas hogs I really dig the Pulsar N750, the rifle is a DSA upper 300 Blackout with Multicam dipped magpul furniture.

The pulsar does a great job here is me in Texas with two hogs taken out around 120 yards out, really dark and rainy night. (This is not my rifle..it was the guides but same scope)
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 3:05:04 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Of course, an AR is the most versatile and with certain loads you can take some good-sized game. An AR in .308 is just as versatile, but as has already been mentioned you'll want something that is stated to support that caliber.

A suppressed AR with IR laser and / or thermal scope riding a PVS-14 on your melon seems to offer the best of all worlds.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree with Horta, this is what I use for my dedicated night rig. It is the most versatile set up for my use here for n TX.  From Coyotes to Hogs it can do it all very effectively.

Larue tOBR 14.5" 7.62

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top