Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/22/2014 11:50:53 AM EDT
I'm new to gen III NV since it was mostly out of my budget  range. I managed to pick up this unit used from a retailer (usnightvision pvs14). Over all it seems to be in good shape besides some signs of use, like the battery cover capture wire was broken and there is a small nick in the ocular lens.  I detect no burn marks or other anomalies in the image, the edges are crisp. In low light viewing it will do the small black traces when looking at a relatively bright light compared to the ambient light, like a light bulb on a distant house. In brighter conditions it does not do this. There were some tiny black spots which turned out to be dirt on the tube. I figure the nitrogen purge is long since compromised. No writing on the part of the tube that was visible with the ocular lens removed (is that normal?) I suppose I would have to disassemble the unit further to determine the type of tube (I would like to know).

I read somewhere here that to truly test the tube you need to see how it performs in a very dark environment.  Last night was heavy cloud cover and no moon, so I snapped a couple pics. The first is nearly pitch black to the naked eye, the second there was a little more ambient.  The ipad does not take very good pics, I had to turn the gain up to get an image.  Through the naked eye the image was much better on  a lower gain setting. I'm interested in the opinion of those with more experience.  The unit cost me $1200. Thanks in advance.

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:20:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I am sure most will agree the value is mostly in the tube. I personally would pay $300 to $600 for a used housing depending on the condition. The ability to see in the dark is priceless to me, since its my passion. Doing that for $1200 seems like a great deal. Knowing the performance specs. On the tube is the only way to truly judge its value. Even that does not help when trying to sell it to a buddy. Letting him look through it  and say " damn it looks like daylight out here" has the most value then . I am sure you could get your money back anytime.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:26:34 PM EDT
[#2]
It freaked me out he first time I look through it, and then looked with naked eyes to make sure it was will dark outside lol. With a good amount of starlight it looks like late afternoon. My only previous experience  was with a crappy Russian gen I. Can I do any damage disassembling further to check for numbers on the tube?
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:55:41 PM EDT
[#3]
The tube retaining ring removal tool can be bought off ebay for about $30 . Runing a screwdriver across the output screen after it slips will greatly depreciate its value:) . If it was mine I would send it to I2 technologies for cleaning, reassembly, collamination, purging. All for less than $100 . Pete can also give you some performance specs.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 1:08:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It freaked me out he first time I look through it, and then looked with naked eyes to make sure it was will dark outside lol. With a good amount of starlight it looks like late afternoon. My only previous experience  was with a crappy Russian gen I. Can I do any damage disassembling further to check for numbers on the tube?
View Quote

You should be able to see any relevant tube numbers without having to remove the retaining ring.

Snap a clear photo and post it here with the S/N blurred or covered.

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 2:28:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll snap a pic, but I can see no numbers with the ocular removed.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 2:34:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'll snap a pic, but I can see no numbers with the ocular removed.
View Quote

Then it's either not a .MIL-spec tube or the label has been removed.

Either way, not a tragedy. If you're happy with the performance and price that's all that matters.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 2:41:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Here is a pic:

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 2:54:24 PM EDT
[#8]

Hmmm... can someone confirm if this is a repot?
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 3:05:02 PM EDT
[#9]
What is a repot?
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 6:45:56 PM EDT
[#10]
"In low light viewing it will do the small black traces when looking at a relatively bright light compared to the ambient light, like a light bulb on a distant house."

i think it s the phosphor persistence effect
it s not a big deal
Some tubes show this more than others
It is caused by panning the scope across bright lights and they disappear quickly once you move the scope away from the bright light that caused it

http://www.ndia.org/Divisions/Divisions/ScienceAndEngineeringTechnology/Documents/Pan,%20Lu,%20-%20Lu.pdf
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 6:49:19 PM EDT
[#11]
if you can open the house,maybe there are more informations on the tube side
and the pigtail can give us more clues

this kind of photo for example

thx
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:39:08 PM EDT
[#12]
repotting = a tube that someone had an issue with and repaired it either themelves, or professionally. The potentiometer screws that you see below the light pipe (clear plastic ring with 2 tabs) are generally filled in - I'm guessing that is why Horta is asking about repotting.

If it works for you, and it came from a legit retailer, I wouldn't worry a whole lot. $1200 is a pretty good price on a PVS-14 - especially if you have a receipt and possibly a warranty. Heck, for the price you paid, you could buy two of those and use them in a binocular setup and still be under the going price of a new PVS-14.

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:21:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Pretty sure the US night vision label was on the recent batch of APEX gen 3 14s. The one I looked thru was a great deal for $1200.
Op I sent you an IM.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 6:14:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks everyone who has responded, this forum is a nv treasure trove of information..

I did ooen the housing. The pigtail looks like l3 style and no numbers written on it that I can see. The kids woke up early from their nap so i didn't get a pic.

The tube has a hand engraved number on its side. It looks a lot like the repot tube in the tube id sticky (see quote below)) except i know mine is autogated.

Can any info be gleaned off the engraved number on the tube?

Quoted:
OK, let us do this tube. This is going to be harder. Still, we have clues ! (One of my tubes I sold a few years back) We have already learned it has a L3 power supply due to the pigtail design. We can assume it is a L3 MX-11769 tube but it does not look factory and is missing numbers. What is going on here ? These type of tubes are the absolute hardest to decipher. I bought this tube new for a comparison test I did awhile back. I know what it is but had it just came out of the blue I would have a VERY hard time telling you what it is.

I got close up shots of the pigtail because I want to see if the pigtail design looks different from L3 autogated tubes to L3 non gated or DC power supplies. This tube is not autogated.

http://imageshack.com/a/img708/5192/gen3pinnacle005.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img502/2229/gen3pinnacle007.jpg

I have already found out who designed and made the pigtail.

http://www.lenthor.com/

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 7:58:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Another tube with similar features:

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=18&t=363314

The exposed pots and hand etched number. I'm thinking my tube is an AEO, sound like a reasonably accurate conclusion? I wonder how it ended up in a usnightvision housing.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 8:00:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Double post.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 8:51:11 PM EDT
[#17]
the serial can start with the company name
like AOE or ANV for american night vision

do you know if it s autogated??
if you have a doubt, autogated tube emits a slight whistle.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 8:58:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 12:08:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Here are some pics of the pigtail. I was mistaken earlier, there is some writing on it.

If I put my ear up to the batt compartment I detect a slight high pitched whine that seems to change based on brightness level.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1080x768q90/540/DxntUk.jpg

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1080x768q90/538/8rWNEr.jpg
View Quote

Sounds like it is autogated, then.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top