Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/22/2014 10:23:37 AM EDT
I am ready to drop $4K - $7K on a thermal scope or a viewer.  I really want to buy from FLIR.  They have the best customer support of any company I have ever purchased from.  In the past, I have owned:

PS32 - not impressed at all. Sold it.
LS64 - Good.  But, not great.  Didn't like the small screen and internal battery.  I could live with the battery.  Hated the screen.  Sold it.

The IR Hunter Mark II and IR Patrol (I am guessing it will have the same performance of the Hunter Mark II) look like exactly what I want.  No internal battery and a decent display.  

My problem is that I don't trust the company like I trust FLIR.  This is a HUGE investment.  

So, the question is does FLIR plan to upgrade the RS series scopes or LS64 soon to match the performance from the Hunter Mark II or IR Patrol?  I really would rather buy from FLIR.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 10:40:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Tag
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 10:46:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd be reasonably certain that FLIR knows its current products are becoming less competitive and will have a response soon. I can't see them falling much farther behind.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:07:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Just for clarrification. Flir is the manufacturer of thermal cores, monoculars, scopes, etc. BAE systems is the manufacturer of the core that IR Defense uses in thier products. BAE systems core is also used in several military sights. SkeetIR x, UTM x, UTB x, UTC x. I am in no way affiliated with with any of these companies. Other than the fact I own a Mark II
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:27:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm asking myself the same thing.  Surely FLIR will respond soon.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:29:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Do all of the FLIR commercial units have the same display?  I wasn't impressed w/ the one FLIR handheld I used a couple years ago but the InstAlert was nice.  I'm thinking they were supposed to come out w/ a software or firmware revision s to improve the image.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:51:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do all of the FLIR commercial units have the same display?  I wasn't impressed w/ the one FLIR handheld I used a couple years ago but the InstAlert was nice.  I'm thinking they were supposed to come out w/ a software or firmware revision s to improve the image.
View Quote

I think you can only do so much with the lower-end LCD screens they use in their consumer products. It's surprising how much a good display enhances the product, even if everything else is the same. If / when FLIR starts using OLED screens (or whatever is best) and takes some feature and design cues from some of their competitors they will get back in formation again. The RS/PS/LS line is aging quickly, but I'm sure this isn't lost on FLIR. I presume the loss of IRH as a customer was a bitter pill.

That said, the BAE sensor in the UTM-x and SkeetIR-x is astonishingly good. I can only assume they use the best they have in their in-house .MIL products, so I don't know if that translates into anything for the IRH Mk2 or not.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top