Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2014 3:06:17 AM EDT

Hi All,

While it's easy to assume that SWIR, MWIR and SWIR sensors may eventually replace image intensifiers with pure-digital systems, there are still many advantages that Image-Intensifier based systems have that will keep them around for a long time. The technology is far from fully-developed and it's likely that we'll yet see significant improvements in performance over today's technology.

This month I've separated the questions from the article as some readers may wish to read the article before responding and some already know how they work and don't need to read it before responding. For those who would like to know more about Image Intensifiers, and some of the ways the technology within them affects how they perform, I've posted an article on how Image Intensifiers work here:

Which I hope will help with some understanding of image tube technology.

Some questions then – for voluntary participation – These questions are similar to last month's, but are specifically around the tube itself – not the entire NOD. Consider these to be about a "drop-in” replacement tube in your favourite NOD.

1. What is the performance improvement that would be a compelling reason to upgrade or change your Image intensifier tubes inside an existing NVG?

2. What is the added feature that would be a compelling reason to upgrade or change your Image intensifier tubes inside an existing NVG?

3. What is the change in image quality/"comfort” of image that would be a compelling reason to upgrade or change your Image intensifier tubes inside an existing NVG?

Feel free to ask questions, to speculate or to go crazy with ideas, or to respond to either post.

Also feel free to point out simple or complicated things – would you upgrade to a tube with double the battery life? Half the weight? Significant contrast improvement? Autogating for full day/night operation? An easier image to view ( Screen phosphor and sharper image )? Higher recoil ratings? Or would it take something like a digital display or infinite digital depth-of-field to make you replace the insides of your NOD?

Thanks

David.

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:12:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hi All,

While it's easy to assume that SWIR, MWIR and SWIR sensors may eventually replace image intensifiers with pure-digital systems, there are still many advantages that Image-Intensifier based systems have that will keep them around for a long time. The technology is far from fully-developed and it's likely that we'll yet see significant improvements in performance over today's technology.

This month I've separated the questions from the article as some readers may wish to read the article before responding and some already know how they work and don't need to read it before responding. For those who would like to know more about Image Intensifiers, and some of the ways the technology within them affects how they perform, I've posted an article on how Image Intensifiers work here:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_18/435505_Image_Intensifier_Operation_and_Performance___What_would_make_it_better__Pictures_included_.html
Which I hope will help with some understanding of image tube technology.

Some questions then – for voluntary participation – These questions are similar to last month's, but are specifically around the tube itself – not the entire NOD. Consider these to be about a "drop-in” replacement tube in your favourite NOD.

1. What is the performance improvement that would be a compelling reason to upgrade or change your Image intensifier tubes inside an existing NVG?

2. What is the added feature that would be a compelling reason to upgrade or change your Image intensifier tubes inside an existing NVG?

3. What is the change in image quality/"comfort” of image that would be a compelling reason to upgrade or change your Image intensifier tubes inside an existing NVG?

Feel free to ask questions, to speculate or to go crazy with ideas, or to respond to either post.

Also feel free to point out simple or complicated things – would you upgrade to a tube with double the battery life? Half the weight? Significant contrast improvement? Autogating for full day/night operation? An easier image to view ( Screen phosphor and sharper image )? Higher recoil ratings? Or would it take something like a digital display or infinite digital depth-of-field to make you replace the insides of your NOD?

Thanks
David.
View Quote

I feel like I am being data-mined by a Manufacturer. lol.

1. Higher S/N, and Resolution, Less Blemishes, Longer Tube Life.
2. Integrated Thermal Overlay or some type of digital Hybrid setup that eliminates the need for manual objective focus.
3. Not sure how this differs from Q1.

My major issue is the form factor of current night vision technology in terms of what is readily available to the consumer market or devices that I know about, can afford, or have used. It is my understanding that the PVS-14 is currently fielded. I own early MX-10160 format tubes dating all the way back to 1990 and I own current production tubes still under warranty. They are nearly exactly the same format and fit in the same housings, despite one being new and the other a quarter century old. This is great in terms of upgrading and reusing the housing, but in 25 years we've made no strides in size reduction!?! Why aren't these things the size of 2 Liter bottle caps at a minimum? In 1990 we were using VHS Tapes and Cassettes, yet today we're down to Blue Ray and MicroSD cards. With a world of 1080p OLED displays, and nano manufacturing, I am waiting for this industry to catch up.

I think one of the largest issues is that the manufacturers don't seem to be leveraging this product to the consumer market to increase demand, growth, and offset R&D costs. Instead, night vision remains purely a boutique item available at high cost. The current form factor seems to favor large scale military bids, with no real competition to drive a reduction in size / weight.

I'm waiting for this technology to mature to the point where NVG's become much like battery operated 3D TV glasses, in exactly the same size and form factor, with auto-sensing capabilities that turn the device, on, off, or adjust the gain to match environmental needs. I would also expect this type of device to be modular to accept video data feed overlays for military, law enforcement, or consumer needs. Maybe the future device is a pure digital device that utilizes a transparent OLED display and provides a amplified light overlay (NVG), a thermal overlay, or external data overlays through a port connection on the device. Maybe it has the ability to sync with other units in the field to color overlay friendly targets to minimize friendly fire incidents.

Form Factor example:

You can't tell me that for a 2+ decades we can't do any better.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:14:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Most of my gen 3 systems I am pretty happy with, and considering the cost of current production intensifiers, I am not really looking to replace the intensifiers, as at the current cost it's just about equally practical to replace the entire system, and even then that system will be pretty equivalent to the old one, so the only real benefit would be upgrading away from wear & tear, or into a warrantied device.

My first reason, just because I thought of it first, would be cost. If an equally well performing tube to say, Omni 6 functionality were made available around the $500-750 point with waranty and all that I would jump on that for all of my out of warranty tubes, blemished tubes etc. At that point it would just make sense to. Even if it wasnt quite as good bit still pretty good, especially of the warranty was solid.

Second reason, a decrease in size, especially depth, or other new improved form factor. I've REALLY wanted pvs21 form factor goggles because they stay close to your face, and maybe today the form factor likely here be more like an Oculus virtual-reality headset, or google glass style hud. the pvs14 is pretty good but it is like 5" long. My iphone has a lense, sensor, and screen stacked in a quarter of an inch. getting a pvs14 type device that was only 2.5" long would be an AMAZING improvement, nevermind a truly flat device, or a pair of glasses as previously mentioned.

A third reason would be new functionality - picture-in-picture, thermal or visible spectrum fusion, ability to take screen shot, connecting to external data.. get your buddies POV sent over to your goggles so he can show you what's going on, or SMS messages to your eyecup. Really anything that enhances the experience. Oh how about recording video/audio/G forces/gps data to an onboard microSD card? Get your riflescope's POV wirelessly into your goggles.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 3:07:22 PM EDT
[#3]
A photocathode that would see way further to infrared would be very nice.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:08:50 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Well, as I've said before, you are. These questions provide a basis for feedback to one of the biggest manufacturers in the world, and they are taking the responses seriously.

The problem with most tubes is the MX10160 and the MX11769. Long ago, these formats were standardized and except for a few systems line the PVS-21, very little innovation has occured in this area.

16mm tubes have been with us for a few years now, but no compact US systems available seem to use them. Very little has made it into the market out of band from today's Gen3 also -

It's almost like it became commercially convenient for US R&D in this area to stagnate -

But imagine what you could do with a 10mm tube? Think of head-mounted camera applications... And the objective lenses would be tiny in comparison.

Even then, within the 18mm tube environment, there's still huge room for improvement - as much as Omni I to Omni IV... And let's face it, not much improvement has been made since Omni iV... Well over a decade ago.

Regards

David

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:14:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Autofocus...
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:40:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Autofocus...
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:44:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Autofocus
Full Color

Integrated Thermal

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:44:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Well, as I've said before, you are. These questions provide a basis for feedback to one of the biggest manufacturers in the world, and they are taking the responses seriously.

The problem with most tubes is the MX10160 and the MX11769. Long ago, these formats were standardized and except for a few systems line the PVS-21, very little innovation has occured in this area.

16mm tubes have been with us for a few years now, but no compact US systems available seem to use them. Very little has made it into the market out of band from today's Gen3 also -

It's almost like it became commercially convenient for US R&D in this area to stagnate -

But imagine what you could do with a 10mm tube? Think of head-mounted camera applications... And the objective lenses would be tiny in comparison.

Even then, within the 18mm tube environment, there's still huge room for improvement - as much as Omni I to Omni IV... And let's face it, not much improvement has been made since Omni iV... Well over a decade ago.

Regards
David

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Regards
David

Which manufacturer is making use of this data? Do you work directly for them, or are you being paid for this research in any way? Just curious how this is all being used. lol.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:28:16 PM EDT
[#9]
If a manufacturer really wanted to make some $$$, figuring out a way to offer current technology at a reduced price would probably be the way to go. Let's face it, $3,500 is a bit steep for most folks. If a PVS14 was $2000, I bet sales would quadruple.

As for tech advances, autofocus would be awesome. So would enhanced gain, FOV, contrast, etc.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:28:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Higher resolution and SN.  Think of no need for ir, that is crazy but I would pay for it.   I use it for hunting pigs that are often mixed with cows and changing resolution from 45-64 was great.  So increase the lp to 100 or so and have a 3x zoom like a camera.  It could be digital zoom not true zoom and it might save weight not having the different lense.  I know once you get past 72 lp the human eye can't tell but I don't think you can do a digital zoom and it not be blurry unless you increase lp.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:45:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Higher resolution and SN.  Think of no need for ir, that is crazy but I would pay for it.   I use it for hunting pigs that are often mixed with cows and changing resolution from 45-64 was great.  So increase the lp to 100 or so and have a 3x zoom like a camera.  It could be digital zoom not true zoom and it might save weight not having the different lense.  I know once you get past 72 lp the human eye can't tell but I don't think you can do a digital zoom and it not be blurry unless you increase lp.
View Quote

It's probably true the human eye cannot resolve beyond what the current lp/mm values are, but that would be only if they were at 100% MTF. My guess, based on nothing but looking trough NV devices, is that the difference in resolution between my eyes and Gen3 tubes is somehere 4:1. So raising the resolution up would help even if the resolution would exceed that of the human eye.

I would upgrade without a doubt if I could have 120lp/mm and 80 degrees of FOV for the same price as a PVS14 is at the moment.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 7:22:53 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Which manufacturer is making use of this data? Do you work directly for them, or are you being paid for this research in any way? Just curious how this is all being used. lol.
View Quote

Unfortunately, due to ITAR specific restrictions, I'm not permitted to say who it is. This is required of me by both US and Australian laws.

That said, I'd be surprised if all the big manufacturers aren't taking notes of this thread - There's many useful ideas in this part of ARFcom and I know they all watch it closely.

The information being collected is being used to determine what people are looking for in the next generation of NV equipment being developed.

Overall, it's a good thing, and it's rare that we get a chance to influence R&D at all - normally, we only get the table scraps that the .mil chooses to leave on the floor, but this time our comments are being heard right at the front-end of development and we get to help write the menu... Well, at least to put our ideas before those who write the menu. I think Autofocus is a very strong thread throughout the process so far, and if you follow where development is leading, that's pretty much a new area that hasn't been looked into before... So if it does start coming out, you can be pretty sure it originated here. Multifield focus? Now that's a truly advanced idea, digitally extending infinite depth of field to an image... And it's right on the fringe of what is technically feasible only in recent years.

Anyway, the comments made about resolution are spot on. There's still a significant increase in resolution our eyes could make out that could be achieved at the tube.  Contrast is where I expect the most development though - probably as spectral ranges extend and the amount of light collected started to head into the blue region. 64 lp/mm might be on the limit of our ability to discern angularly, but tubes only transmit that kind of detail at around 3% efficiency... Imagine if that was around 20%? You'd be closer to that "green pane of glass" that is the ideal for NV...

And what about spectral output? There's a trend towards white of late, but very little take up outside the military.

There's still a lot of scope for development even within existing tube technologies? How about tubes that can't see headlights so you can wear nods while driving? Or that only see your light at a distance so you don't get blinded by backscatter when using additional IR? Faster/Better autogating?

Or user-adjustable settings - I'd love to be able to tinker with my tube PSU output with a PC.

Regards

David.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 9:58:16 AM EDT
[#13]

Or user-adjustable settings - I'd love to be able to tinker with my tube PSU output with a PC.

Regards
David.
View Quote

Correct me if I am wrong but I want to say the latest and greatest tubes have omitted manually adjustable pots in favor of a digital sensor, and gain and brightness are adjusted with an IR gun. So the tubes are ready to be adjusted by your computer, it's just a matter of getting your PC to talk with the tube AFAIK.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 6:44:36 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Correct me if I am wrong but I want to say the latest and greatest tubes have omitted manually adjustable pots in favor of a digital sensor, and gain and brightness are adjusted with an IR gun. So the tubes are ready to be adjusted by your computer, it's just a matter of getting your PC to talk with the tube AFAIK.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Regards

David.

The tubes before that, with the two pins that soldered onto the pigtail for the mx11769? They could be programmed as well, via those pins, but I don't think any of the programming information was made public.

So asking for a user-programmable tube would be a new feature - since at the moment, it's factory only.

Regards

David
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 7:55:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Performance is fine. As has been said, it's time to shrink the package. Diameter is fine, the length and weight needs to be worked on.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 5:22:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Is it the aspheric lenses that change instantly.  Might be an easy way to switch between 1x and 3-5x.  Already have the power.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 6:57:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Weight isn't even all that bad. It's the length of the housing. Pvs 21s are an excellent starting point but pricey ( I get it R&D, etc.)  PVS 5Cs weren't all that bad. An upgraded version would do nicely for us civilians. Wider field of view would be nice as well, a semi-fisheye lense to increase field of view maybe? Just a thought.

Immediate wish lists would be for lower cost tubes, my omni viii is great but omni v at a lower cost would probably be fine for me. That's really just a wish list for a dual tube setup
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 12:42:26 AM EDT
[#18]
I've stated what I'd like to see in your previous threads, but I'll do so again. Ideally I'd like to see something lighter, smaller (shorter in OAL is more important to me then width) , larger FOV, and auto focus with the option to disable. The thought of adding TI into the mix is also intriguing as I'm about to pony up cash for a PAS-29. Overall price of a unit like this would definitely have my money if it cost no more then current offerings. The addition of thermal obviously would drive cost up, so I'm seeing 3 potential unit types for market.

A entry level unit at the $2000 price point like another member suggested with all or at least some of the mentioned improvements. I can currently build a bare bones, albeit well performing unit for $1300-1500. I'd gladly pay the remainder to have it factory assembled, purged, and with a warranty. I think a unit like this would sell like hot cakes especially if it was of Omni VI performance or better.

A mid level unit applying all desired improvements mentioned above, sans thermal, with the best performing tubes available.

A higher end unit that includes everything from the mid unit, plus thermal.

Battery life should stay the same, or better. I'd like to see more battery options for the same housing slyle like on the MUM. Having the choice of AA or 123 on the most widely available housing style would be most welcome.

A better IR flood would also be welcome. While not a necessity, it would potentially eliminate a light (ie weight) from my helmet.

Just my thought and a wish list of sorts, feel free to critique.

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 1:23:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Wider field of view - say 50 degrees would be a good place to start.  Greater contrast / resolution.  Those two improvements would make me upgrade.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:10:01 PM EDT
[#20]
My wish list ? Smaller and lighter is ALWAYS appreciated. Maybe we can get to the point of simply slipping on some eyeglasses in the future. Higher resolution and contrast would be high on my list with contrast probably being the most important to me.

Smaller and lighter would require different housings and I am not sure that would work just yet with most everyone having housings designed for the standard MX-10160 or 11769 style tubes. This would most likely be a entire new scope rather than tube replacement.

I think tube life is good. I would like to see power supply's more user friendly. See far to many with a blown PSU that can't be fixed by most economically. The module is fine but the tube is trashed due to a bad PSU. A system where a new PSU could be simply plugged in would be a fantastic upgrade for all !

A wider FOV would also be a bonus for me. All I can think of off the top of my head today. I will add if I come up with more on my wish list.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 8:09:29 AM EDT
[#21]

Extended FOV with a tube drop-in is theoretically possible - but it would destroy any eye relief ( working with glasses would not be possible ) and it would require some clever lenses in the tube - I'm not sure that that would be an option with the tube - And as a drop-in, a smaller tube or lighter tube would have less FOV.

Things like contrast and resolution are possible, and I guess that would provide immediate benefits while allowing an upgrade path to greater FOV ( Contrast would work either way ).

To ask the question in a different way, think of the difference between Gen2 and Gen3 - Back with Gen2 ( about 10 years ago on this forum ) we all thought it was pretty good, because lots of people had it, and it worked under the conditions we wanted it to, and then Gen3 came out and if we went from Gen2 to Gen3 we didn't notice much difference... Until we had both side by side...

And then... Gen3 ruined Gen2 for us... Suddenly wire fences jumped out of the scene and into our monocular eyepieces... We could see fine wires now, and up-close detail.

So although I think we're all pretty happy with Gen3, Personally, I'd love something that went the extra distance - a brighter image on those really dark nights when I can't quite see the detail in the shadows.

As for autofocus, I'm going to put that into the "plausible" basket - I think tubes of the future may be able to do things there...  With virtual depth of field adjustment.

As a thought, what about reticles? Would the ability to add ( and even adjust ) a reticle be enough reason to change?

Or out of band? How about a tube that could see all the way to 1064 nm? Or down to 400nm?

Also, I'm thinking of that filter set that came out - Was it adams industries? The one that made grass and concrete look different to NV gear, and provided a whole new world of contrast...

Or how about color?

There seems to be a long way yet to go, and better tubes will keep on coming out - what other features might you want to see in a drop-in tube replacement if you could have your cake and eat it to?

Thanks

David
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 9:21:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Hard to say about the bandwidth as I don't know how things look when extended like that. The Photonis INTENS would be an interesting thing to see just for that reason though.

But, my cake would have (false) color vision, some thermal fusion to see in the absolute dark too, more resolution and contrast. Can the photocathode response be streched to having both visible & IR? That'd be the best kind of fusion until digital is better.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:15:24 PM EDT
[#23]
I say for the general consumer including myself it would be 100% cost.

Pump out an optic that has a s/n upgrade or light gathering ability for around $500

Until then I'm stating on the used market.

If there was a tube out there that double all the current specs on the market but cost $3000 a tube I wouldn't even consider it...
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 5:17:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Another point for consumer market would be to allow worldwide sales. If nothing else it would bring prices down, and quite possibly speed up the innovation.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 8:32:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Another point for consumer market would be to allow worldwide sales. If nothing else it would bring prices down, and quite possibly speed up the innovation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would also put them in the hands of the enemy of the U.S. essentially erasing the nighttime advantage we have in warfare
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 8:47:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

That would also put them in the hands of the enemy of the U.S. essentially erasing the nighttime advantage we have in warfare
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are multiple manufacturers that already supply anyone who has the money. While what you say was true in the past, it no longer is. Photonis and Katod for example have tubes that compare to US Gen3 and in some aspects surpass them. The price differences are not that big to by itself prevent armies buying NV. The countries that are the biggest real threats to the US already have night vision, but the difference is more in training and the sheer amount of NODs fielded in US. That would not change just by allowing US tubes for export.

I do understand the ITAR restrictions, but I think they are outdated in some aspects.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 10:03:29 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

There are multiple manufacturers that already supply anyone who has the money. While what you say was true in the past, it no longer is. Photonis and Katod for example have tubes that compare to US Gen3 and in some aspects surpass them. The price differences are not that big to by itself prevent armies buying NV. The countries that are the biggest real threats to the US already have night vision, but the difference is more in training and the sheer amount of NODs fielded in US. That would not change just by allowing US tubes for export.

I do understand the ITAR restrictions, but I think they are outdated in some aspects.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't think that other manufacturers outside the US will supply "anyone who has the money" - Though certainly some countries do not support ITAR or related treaties. Even the Russian's won't go selling to just anyone. Also, if you watch the contracts, the US is exporting NV gear to just about any government - just not in large quantities or with high specs.

And in any event, it's bad politics if a US manufacturer goes selling equipment to countries that might end up using that same equipment against the US...

However the current situation is that in most countries, housings have a longer lifespan than tubes, so I'd guess the upgrade/repair market is moving.

But none of that really deals with technological advances at all -

As a thought, how about hybrid tubes? eg, 2+1 and 3+1? They are just about a drop-in replacement - though it's not until you see such a supertube that you realize their potential.

Regards

David

Link Posted: 11/30/2014 10:26:35 AM EDT
[#28]
I spend a couple hundred hours a year under NODs so any serious improvements have me interested. Can you expand on these "super tubes"? Also, in your opinion, what do you think it would take to shorten the OAL and widen the FOV of the pvs14/15 series NODs?
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 5:09:20 PM EDT
[#29]
::shrug::

I guess like last time - without any of the technical knowledge to really know how to make any of this work - assuming the same form factor (i.e. a PVS-14 sized device still has to be a PVS-14 sized device - weight and form reduction always being a goal and perhaps more desirable with comparable capabilities than any "drop-in" type module would be) also assuming that we're discussing I^2 only, rather than thermal and/or fusion systems - some things I would want to see an NVD be able to do in no particular order (I'm just spit-balling here):

1. I will agree that auto-focus would be nice

2. "See through" optics - that is to say, perhaps more durable?  This goes beyond automatic gain adjustment to the point where you could move between different lighting conditions without any fear of wash out and/or damage to the tube - that would not simply just fade to dark/shut-off/etc. etc. but to adjust to ambient light conditions so that you could move between a fully lit room and "see through" the optic with white light, and then move into total darkness with the tube doing the hard work of adjustment "on the fly."  Not sure if my explanation makes sense... but basically, NODs that you could see through when you didn't need them without having to be flipped up.  

3. On-board overlays - nothing too complicated - but it might be nice to have the ability to have an on-board overlay that displayed as an HUD inside the NOD - integrating with GPS, I would imagine would be the easiest way - but if there could be some sort of way to integrate it for both navigation with a heading/azimuth display that could be switched on and off, as well as an IFF capability - maybe in conjunction with a small IR strobe/GPS beacon that team-members could wear and pre-program that would give you the direction and distance to friendlies wearing the device.  A more complicated system could even integrate with C4ISR platforms to give you distance/direction to potential enemies, OBJs, etc.  This, of course, could easily become "too busy" under the wrong circumstances - so a way to select and turn-off unneeded functions depending on the situation, and easily would be critical for this as well.  

4. Is green strictly necessary?  I don't know how other people perceive the green - but when I've been under NOD for a while, I suppose the red cones in my eyes have been over-compensating for so long that everything tends to have a reddish/purplish tinge for a while after.  Not to mention how visible green is, and the "splash-back" necessitating, or at least inspiring the creation of such things as the Wilcox amber filter - could a different color primary color choice mitigate this without causing too many other issues?  

5. Color - or even false color would be great - however, I would settle for increased resolution and contrast - I^2 is great for identification, but that doesn't mean it can't be better.  This combined with auto-focus, IMHO, would be fantastic.

6. Increased FOV - could it be done within the same package size and/or as a retro-fit/drop in configuration?  

7. I'm not sure what the weight of a tube is relative to the housing and other associated equipment - but could it simply be made lighter?  With or without the above capabilities?  

8. Per unit price reduction - once again, with or without the above capabilities - bringing the price down alone would be worthwhile - though it would not, of course, cause me to replace something that I already have.  

9. CNVD capability out of the box - it tends to be agreed to that an NVD behind a day optic is a less than ideal solution - and that in general - current NV monoculars make poor CNVDs - does it have to be that way?  Could a tube/monocular not be designed for instant CNVD capability?  Perhaps in conjunction with my previous "modular" NVD idea - wear binoculars to a hide site - then unclip one monocular and pop it into a mount ahead of the day optic for a passive NV weapon sight capability?  

~Augee
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 8:29:33 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I spend a couple hundred hours a year under NODs so any serious improvements have me interested. Can you expand on these "super tubes"? Also, in your opinion, what do you think it would take to shorten the OAL and widen the FOV of the pvs14/15 series NODs?
View Quote

Hi Wag_bag,

It would possibly be more practical to change the lenses of a PVS-14 to achieve FOV increase than the build it into the tube -

It's not that it's impossible to do it with the tube, but there are limitations - The first is that once you reach eye relief distance, the physical FOV to the lens is 40 degrees,  so the first thing you'd have to do is bring the monocular permanently closer to your eye so you could see more of the unlit section of tube - Let's say you'd need to get it close enough to see another 2mm of tube radius ( 22~23mm dia ) just to see 50 degrees. Then because lenses alone won't make a difference now, you'd need to increase the FOV area by shaving back the PSU and increasing the optic twister diameter to 22mm over 18mm.

Then you'd either need a lens system at the objective, or more likely, you'd need to use either FO plate, or increase photocathode diameter.

At this point, you'd theoretically have a tube that could be dropped into a modern PVS-14 and would provide extended vision out to about 50 degrees without modification...

Is that practical? I don't know. Changing the lenses would do the same, and would be easier and I imagine more cost effective.

As for supertubes? Gen3+1 were, for a long time, considered the next step from Gen3 for special purposes, and to be fair, they did use them for those purposes for a while, specifically where light amplification was critical, so in the SNS (Stinger Night Sight ) and in surveillance equipment. A good 3+1 tube gives a fantastic image and the reason is the low-noise amplification from the +1 stage, rather than the MCP. They even made filmless 3+1's. They call them a 3+1 because they use a Gen3 front-end and a Gen1 back end to form a cascade - If you look at the Cascade project in the sticky's you'll see some spectacular results at starlight level with just 3 Gen1's cascaded together - A gen3+1 goes further because of better photosensitivity, initial gain and less per-stage losses.

But a 3+1 is an expensive option, because of the power supply and it has some inherent limitations also - Though the technology does exist to make cascades that small.

However in recent years, MCP technology has improved - noise levels are dropping, and the limitations are being overcome - because this is a pure gain issue, it's difficult for most people to spot when looking through tubes, but if you look closely, you'll notice that tubes are getting better. As a result, manufacturers in the US have been able to meet requirements with cheaper technology, and so have not had to turn to other options to provide newer and better tubes.

Because of this, most design within NV using intensifier tubes has somewhat stagnated for the past 20 years,  and after Omni IV, only small improvements were made.

So I used a Gen3+1 as an example of a radical change that's known to be able to produce a reasonable result and with better R&D, could well push usable gain levels up into the 150K~200Kx amplification range. The tactical advantage there is that you could see better into shadows than with a Gen3.

However, it's not the only change - Just as autogating really has made a usable difference from DC power supplies, which provides benefits going from bright to dark areas, there are other areas that changes would be useful - In my mind they are;

From a quick brainstorm... And these are just the improvements I can think of within an existing form factor - ie, drop-in replacement.

1) Physical shock improvements within the tube itself -

2) Power consumption within the tube.

3) Photocathode response and band

4) Contrast in the image

5) Ultra-dark performance

6) Optimised operation for different theatres.

7) Inclusion of digital display capability

8) Externally reprogrammable and adjustable in the field, in the NOD.

9) Modular power supply options ( It would be nice to be able to service them easily - and it is possible to make and operate tubes without elastomer - I know someone in the UK who does this.

10) Inclusion of gated function

11) Inclusion of OOB input to the tube

12) Inclusion of In-band input to the tube.

13) Modular link-up technology

14) Inclusion of digital output from tube.

15) Resolution Increase

16) Gain increase in a non-linear function across portions of the screen.

17) Noise decrease

18) Options to change FO bundle characteristics ( modular )

19) Open specification for operation ( standards )

20) Built-in motion detection and highlight.  ( This is a complicated one ).

21) Electronic focus.

22) Eye focal detection ( Eye focus )

23) Linking Eye Focus Detection and Electronic Focus so that the tubes can be focussed by the user's eyes...  ( That would be SOOOOO nice ).

24) Micro-range radio/IR link to control board, on the side... ( for later upgrades )

25) Adjustable Optical Axis alignment ( imagine, ALL NODs would be boresighted... Much less eyestrain - I know this is possible - and the PVS-14 really really sucks here )

26) Smart image adjustment - Lock in brightness, etc, manual or physical control over automatic as required.

27) Make the tail a) Universal and b) Detachable...  NO MORE BROKEN TAILS ! :)

28) Smart power grid where the contacts go - No need to align tube anymore -  and rotating tubes wouldn't fail due to contact loss.. Did I mention shorting out when a metal can spins in the NOD? Melts the battery contacts usually.

29) A bigger or better KEY for locating tubes...

30) Makes coffee for you, without burning it...

Any one of these would provide a reason to upgrade for me - as long as the change was significant - And that's really the key - small improvements ( eg, Omni IV to Omni VIII ) are difficult to notice, and except for autogating, tube development hasn't gone far - However over this time, I've watched this board shift - SNR of 21 used to be considered "good" but now, everyone's pushing for more than 26.... If the new standard was suddenly 31, that alone would start to push people to upgrade again, and those tubes do exist - they just aren't all that common, but a few on this forum managed to get them - :)

Imagine the possible future of tubes - better contrast and suddenly images open up - or a tube that can ignore city lights and near-field reflections by fitting into the zero point crossover gaps in the 50/60hz AC cycle? Or a tube that can automatically fit in with a pulsed IR light on the PVS-14 circuit board so that it dynamically adjusts gain to eliminate near-field reflections and maximize gain when the light is a distance away, so that the illumination is uniform?

It's not necessary to understand the technology to make suggestions - even just thinking  of an aspect of how the technology is used and commenting on it - it may not be possible to fix by the tube alone, but it also might be... :)

Regards

David

Link Posted: 12/1/2014 7:23:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Sounds like you just need a pair of small SWIR goggles.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 8:18:05 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View Quote

SWIR is mostly digital and has it's drawbacks - power consumption being the main one that comes to mind - I'd love to see SWIR added to vis/near-IR but current photocathode technology needs another generational jump to get there :)

Besides, SWIR isn't a drop-in replacement for the tube in our PVS-14's yet... Are you thinking that would be a useful system? A drop-in SWIR module?

Regards

David
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 9:40:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

SWIR is mostly digital and has it's drawbacks - power consumption being the main one that comes to mind - I'd love to see SWIR added to vis/near-IR but current photocathode technology needs another generational jump to get there :)

Besides, SWIR isn't a drop-in replacement for the tube in our PVS-14's yet... Are you thinking that would be a useful system? A drop-in SWIR module?

Regards
David
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Regards
David

It would have to advance some yet. I got to play with a prototype SWIR setup and there were several things that would need to change in order to make it a good head borne system. I think it will be a while before I2 systems are dramatically improved in the consumer market.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 1:35:57 PM EDT
[#34]
How about we forget the mx10160 and mx11769 and pvs14 main body housing for a bit.

The PVS14 ocular is pretty good so lets keep that part as well as the battery housing/electronics package which is pretty well conceived also. The objective lense does it's job well too but this is all about progress so I am not totally married to those lenses at this point, but having at least some parts commonality with a milspec device has it's perks when it comes time to fixing it or finding parts.

In the end I think digital output screen will be best for many of the reasons mentioned in this thread. So put a digital output device in my hands that uses some pvs14 parts and in an equivalent or better package as the current pvs14.

Link Posted: 12/1/2014 7:15:21 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

How about we forget the mx10160 and mx11769 and pvs14 main body housing for a bit.

The PVS14 ocular is pretty good so lets keep that part as well as the battery housing/electronics package which is pretty well conceived also. The objective lense does it's job well too but this is all about progress so I am not totally married to those lenses at this point, but having at least some parts commonality with a milspec device has it's perks when it comes time to fixing it or finding parts.

In the end I think digital output screen will be best for many of the reasons mentioned in this thread. So put a digital output device in my hands that uses some pvs14 parts and in an equivalent or better package as the current pvs14.
View Quote

A good point that I hadn't considered - replacing the tube doesn't necessarily mean keeping the form factor - an upgrade could easily re-use parts from the existing NOD and replace more than just the tube - so it might replace parts of the housing as well -

An excellent idea - thank you -

Same for the head gear too - Mount formats needs to be consistent I'd assume.

Regards

David
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 10:01:38 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I don't think that other manufacturers outside the US will supply "anyone who has the money" - Though certainly some countries do not support ITAR or related treaties. Even the Russian's won't go selling to just anyone. Also, if you watch the contracts, the US is exporting NV gear to just about any government - just not in large quantities or with high specs.

And in any event, it's bad politics if a US manufacturer goes selling equipment to countries that might end up using that same equipment against the US...

However the current situation is that in most countries, housings have a longer lifespan than tubes, so I'd guess the upgrade/repair market is moving.

As a thought, how about hybrid tubes? eg, 2+1 and 3+1? They are just about a drop-in replacement - though it's not until you see such a supertube that you realize their potential.

Regards
David

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Regards
David

Did someone say 3+1 drop in replacement ? Take my money now please...
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 12:50:20 PM EDT
[#37]
An 18mm drop in with a 3+1 intensifier would be great.

I would like no halo or almost no halo, and higher MTF and contrast before I'd upgrade from Omni 7 spec tubes.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 6:21:14 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

An 18mm drop in with a 3+1 intensifier would be great.

I would like no halo or almost no halo, and higher MTF and contrast before I'd upgrade from Omni 7 spec tubes.
View Quote

Ahh, yes, we'd all like a nice 3+1 intensifier in 18mm :) I know they existed, but I've never seen one or even heard from someone who saw one... :(

It's interesting how a change in contrast and MTF can work - I've digitally edited this photo by adjusting the contrast and brightness so that the Gen2 image is about as bright as the Gen3 image -

That's pretty much the difference that we can make out with our eyes too - Gen3 Omni IV is that far ahead of better Gen2 - though only about 10 points different in the S/N -

Still the image detail variation is significant - so even a small change like that would be a good reason to upgrade - Under brighter conditions these two tubes would look almost the same, but when it's darker, then the Gen2 tube struggles, and more rapidly loses the image -

So I'd agree, even just contrast and MTF would be enough reason for me to change - Especially if the resultant was as different as the images above -

Regards

David.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top