Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/11/2014 4:06:37 PM EDT

There have been threads in the recent past where folks were looking for lower cost, high output IR flashlights.

I waited till I got these parts from two different sources and saw how they worked before putting up this post.

The first part is the flashlight - the ExtremeBeam XT8-M Pro-Ranger kit is currently on sale on Dvor for $ 46.00 (which is ~ $ 15 less than the next lowest price on the internet at BuyExtremeBEam[dot]com

http://www.dvor.com/extremebeam-xt8-m-pro-ranger-weapon-mountable-flashlight-kit-w-nylon-holster-and-2-li.html

The second is the IR bulb and interestingly enough the XT8 was designed from the get-go to have lots of bulb options and accessories

http://buyextremebeam.com/collections/xt8-series

And specifically an IR bulb for $ 29.95

http://buyextremebeam.com/collections/xt8-series/products/infrared-xt8-bulb

It has a tight 12 - 15 degree beam and while it is not a Torch Pro - I can tell an illumination difference on my neighbors house 250 yards away on a night with a full moon. At 100 yards I have a spotlight effect with about 30 degree spillover outside of it.

So for $ 76 plus shipping I have an IR source that works really well with my Gen2 NOD.

Link Posted: 11/11/2014 10:07:36 PM EDT
[#1]
that looks just like a $9 ultrafire 502b

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 10:28:25 PM EDT
[#2]
For anyone looking for a complete unit, the Streamlight SuperTac IR offers freaking off the hook performance for about $90.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 10:34:32 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

It looks EXACTLY like it.

Thanks xjronx, I'm going to order an ultrafire 502b and do a side by side comparison when I get it.

Link Posted: 11/12/2014 12:58:26 AM EDT
[#4]
I paid 69$ for my NiteCore CI6 Chameleon flashlight makes a huge difference with my Gen 2 Nod plus it has white light, red, green, blue, SOS and strobe features you should check it out!
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 8:51:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Thanks xjronx, I'm going to order an ultrafire 502b and do a side by side comparison when I get it.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

the 502b has been around a long time, and was a go to host for lots of custom light and laser builds. the hot set up for the 502b is one of ahorton's drop in IR pills with a spacer/non reflector and an aspheric lens. he sells or sold conplete units too. they arent too shabby, but cost about as much (pre made) as the pro tac.

the new DIY hotness is the t-20 ir build. larger aspheric and twist head for flood to zoom focus.

Link Posted: 11/12/2014 1:01:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Anyone ever try one of these for $26?
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 1:13:48 PM EDT
[#7]
*tag*
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 2:27:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

ultrafire 501b and 502b are essentially the same housing, just a little different looking.
That 3w ir led is pretty bright, its actually 3 led's , very small next to one another, so the output is very floody and hard to focus into a tight beam in any light. I think that drop in runs about $11 on some websites

with cr123s when the battery voltage drops a little the led goes into blink mode. with those rechargeables you should get better runtime.

Link Posted: 11/12/2014 4:15:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

ultrafire 501b and 502b are essentially the same housing, just a little different looking.
That 3w ir led is pretty bright, its actually 3 led's , very small next to one another, so the output is very floody and hard to focus into a tight beam in any light. I think that drop in runs about $11 on some websites

with cr123s when the battery voltage drops a little the led goes into blink mode. with those rechargeables you should get better runtime.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Since the 501b is only 1 LED at the same wattage, is it a tighter beam and about the same brightness?  If so, it would definitely be a better option since it's also $10 cheaper.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 7:37:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Since the 501b is only 1 LED at the same wattage, is it a tighter beam and about the same brightness?  If so, it would definitely be a better option since it's also $10 cheaper.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

if its listed as "3 watt" its a 3 led die.

you're better off with a 1 watt or less light with a focusable aspheric. at 3 watts the red glow of the leds is pretty visible. the aspheric lens are less visible from the side, and put more light where you want it.

Link Posted: 11/12/2014 9:17:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I paid 69$ for my NiteCore CI6 Chameleon flashlight makes a huge difference with my Gen 2 Nod plus it has white light, red, green, blue, SOS and strobe features you should check it out!
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 5:26:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote

Let's start with the photos:

Side view

And top view (the XT8 LED does not show up in this picture - it was about 1/3 the size of the UF1000's LED)

The Hwa0wys Ultrafire 1000 included two 18650 batteries and a charger for a total of $ 15 from Amazon.

Side by side the two units are more like brothers than identical twins. There is the same design to each but the head, body and tail cap of the UF 1000 were all slightly shorter than the XT8's and the wall thickness was less as well.

The XT8 bulb/reflector and tail cap were of higher quality than the UF 1000. I think the pictures illustrate my point.

I put the two beans up side by side on the wall. The UF 1000's spot was definitely a truer "white" color but it covered an area roughly 250% larger and had a more diffuse & larger flood effect beyond the spot.

The XT8's spot was slightly "yellow" but was a very tight spot with a sharply defined edge with the flood area being brighter and more tight around the spot than the UF 1000.

My intent was to take a picture of the beams side by side ... but before I could the UF1000 blinked once, went out and has refused to light back up since then.  

Any suggestions on resurrecting the UF1000 or shall I just contact Amazon and express my displeasure with their "Prime qualifying" product?

Link Posted: 11/13/2014 6:44:52 PM EDT
[#13]
even 2 501's or 502's can have sublte differences.

the difference in the throw and spill can be just the reflector, I see one is smooth and one is orange peel.

sometimes the reflector screws onto the pill and shifts the heatsink breaking the wores or shorting. sometimes the large spring on the back needs tweaking to make contact. and sometimes you just have a bad drop in. one of about every 10 I buy is defective somehow, but the rest work

Link Posted: 11/13/2014 7:46:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
For anyone looking for a complete unit, the Streamlight SuperTac IR offers freaking off the hook performance for about $90.
View Quote

Where did you find it for the price?  Does it have visible light setting as well?
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 11:07:14 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

the difference in the throw and spill can be just the reflector, I see one is smooth and one is orange peel.

sometimes the reflector screws onto the pill and shifts the heatsink breaking the wores or shorting. sometimes the large spring on the back needs tweaking to make contact. and sometimes you just have a bad drop in. one of about every 10 I buy is defective somehow, but the rest work

View Quote

Just had a few minutes so I swapped out the LED/reflector/"bulb" unit from the UF1000 for the LED/reflector/"bulb" I had removed from an XT8 into which I had put the Extremebeam IR LED/reflector/"bulb".

Tightened down the UF1000 lens cap and it fired right up.

So the UF1000 LED/reflector/"bulb" delivered about 4 minutes of run time before burn out.

Link Posted: 11/13/2014 11:25:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Where did you find it for the price?  Does it have visible light setting as well?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IR only. Amazon.com
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 8:46:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Just had a few minutes so I swapped out the LED/reflector/"bulb" unit from the UF1000 for the LED/reflector/"bulb" I had removed from an XT8 into which I had put the Extremebeam IR LED/reflector/"bulb".

So the UF1000 LED/reflector/"bulb" delivered about 4 minutes of run time before burn out.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

hard to say what the problem was but it could be an issue with those rechargeable batteries and the the voltage the led was meant to run at. just because the seller supplied rechargeables, doesnt mean that drop in was meant to run at that voltage. when too much voltage is applied, most drivers dissipate the extra as heat, and that usually fries the driver ot led.

its a good host, so get another drop in, just read the specs and make sure its spec'd for the voltage from that battery.

Link Posted: 11/14/2014 11:59:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

I second this. Can't figure out why these don't get more love.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 9:37:12 AM EDT
[#19]
I've tried every low cost IR light out there and this one is by far the best.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/T20-high-power-long-range-850nm-IR-infrared-flashlight-illuminator-/321442401282?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ad775cc02
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 6:57:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

IR only. Amazon.com
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

IR only. Amazon.com

is this a 1" dia body
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 7:15:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

is this a 1" dia body
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

IR only. Amazon.com

is this a 1" dia body

Here's the spec sheet. .090" Dia. SuperTac IR Specs
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 10:17:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

IR only. Amazon.com

is this a 1" dia body

so can it be mounted it with a 1" rings or does it need special rings
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 10:29:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Good thread. Nice cheap options. Anyone know of some cheaper IR/white light options?
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 9:54:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Good thread. Nice cheap options. Anyone know of some cheaper IR/white light options?
View Quote

In DIY, none that I know of. I played around with making my own, but the only drivers I could find that switched between led's had too many modes and no memory, or were built to fit inside bike lights and headlights.

Nitecore has a couple lights with vis and IR amd they run under $100 iirc.

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 4:08:54 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Side view

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=70298
And top view (the XT8 LED does not show up in this picture - it was about 1/3 the size of the UF1000's LED)

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=70299
The Hwa0wys Ultrafire 1000 included two 18650 batteries and a charger for a total of $ 15 from Amazon.

Side by side the two units are more like brothers than identical twins. There is the same design to each but the head, body and tail cap of the UF 1000 were all slightly shorter than the XT8's and the wall thickness was less as well.

The XT8 bulb/reflector and tail cap were of higher quality than the UF 1000. I think the pictures illustrate my point.

I put the two beans up side by side on the wall. The UF 1000's spot was definitely a truer "white" color but it covered an area roughly 250% larger and had a more diffuse & larger flood effect beyond the spot.

The XT8's spot was slightly "yellow" but was a very tight spot with a sharply defined edge with the flood area being brighter and more tight around the spot than the UF 1000.

My intent was to take a picture of the beams side by side ... but before I could the UF1000 blinked once, went out and has refused to light back up since then.  

Any suggestions on resurrecting the UF1000 or shall I just contact Amazon and express my displeasure with their "Prime qualifying" product?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Side view

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=70298

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=70299

The 501b IR bulb ($ 15 on Amazon) finally showed up and I've used a sealed basement room for a quick comparison with the XT8 IR bulb.

As mentioned above the XT8 IR bulb puts out a crisp, tight circular spot beam of 12 - 15 degrees from its three LED's.

The 501b IR beam is almost as bright but has an irregular distortion along one side of the spot - there is nothing visible on the aspheric plastic drop over the three LED's and the spot is more on the order of 20 - 22 degrees across with some spillover.

After it get's dark, I'll check them both outside against one another and update this post  ... if there is anything else to add.

I am considering buying another XT8 IR bulb and placing that in the Ultrafire 1000 body. That would provide the somewhat better IR beam (for $ 30 from ExtremeBeam) paired with a $ 15 flashlight body from Amazon.  The "hybrid" would have a total cost of $ 45, provide theoretically the same performance and save $ 31 compared to my original post on this thread.

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 6:15:05 PM EDT
[#26]
try, carefully, to adjust the reflector position by screwing it in and out a little. you might find a better sweet spot. they are interchangeable too, you can try swapping reflectors.

you can find an aspheric for the 501 on several domestic and foreign websites. I think mine came from deal extreme and cost $3. the key though is making a spacer for it, or buying ahorton's.

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 10:57:45 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

The 501b IR bulb ($ 15 on Amazon) finally showed up and I've used a sealed basement room for a quick comparison with the XT8 IR bulb.

As mentioned above the XT8 IR bulb puts out a crisp, tight circular spot beam of 12 - 15 degrees from its three LED's.

The 501b IR beam is almost as bright but has an irregular distortion along one side of the spot - there is nothing visible on the aspheric plastic drop over the three LED's and the spot is more on the order of 20 - 22 degrees across with some spillover.

After it get's dark, I'll check them both outside against one another and update this post  ... if there is anything else to add.

I am considering buying another XT8 IR bulb and placing that in the Ultrafire 1000 body. That would provide the somewhat better IR beam (for $ 30 from ExtremeBeam) paired with a $ 15 flashlight body from Amazon.  The "hybrid" would have a total cost of $ 45, provide theoretically the same performance and save $ 31 compared to my original post on this thread.

View Quote

Outdoors the difference between the XT8 and 501b IR LED units is even more pronounced. The 501b loses a good deal of its "spot" characteristics after 50 yards.

It isn't a Torch Pro by any means but then again the Ultrafire 1000 flashlight body with the XT8 IR LED "bulb" will cost a lot less money.

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 3:59:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Is 850nm the best wavelength led for IR detection devices Gen1 and up? I see 940nm offered but from what I can tell they are best for IR camcorders. Anywhere to get more information on what works best with what?
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 4:40:53 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Is 850nm the best wavelength led for IR detection devices Gen1 and up? I see 940nm offered but from what I can tell they are best for IR camcorders. Anywhere to get more information on what works best with what?
View Quote

I just checked on TNVC and their Torch Pro is 805 nm. Most everything else I am aware of is 850 nm.  The 940 nm source is supposed to be invisible to the naked eye unlike the dull red glow of the 850 nm LED's.

Unless you are hunting those two gazelles with NVG, you should be fine with an 850 nm unit.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:04:16 AM EDT
[#30]
I am talking with the Chinese mfg. of these
T20 HP output  850nm Osram led light.
and believe I can do a shipped to your door cont.us for around $60.00 if there is enough interest for a group buy.  I have to buy qty of 10 or up though so want to see if there is interest.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 7:42:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
and believe I can do a shipped to your door cont.us for around $60.00 if there is enough interest for a group buy.  I have to buy qty of 10 or up though so want to see if there is interest.
View Quote

They are noticeably dimmer. They use paper thin 16mm PCBs that don't absorb the LED's heat for shit. I've used both.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 8:00:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

thats probably using a 16mm star, at least yhats what i've heard fron others. the correct 20mm star (made just for that olson led) transfers heat much better and therefor allows more light output.
http://www.mouser.com/Search/m_ProductDetail.aspx?Bergquist-Company%2f804087%2f&qs=%2fha2pyFaduhLdutGmS1pYjEZoyTldBRlZqmHu%252bod0cQ%3d

you can buy them already on a star
http://www.mtnelectronics.com/opencart/index.php?route=product/product&path=60_105&product_id=294
which takes most of the difficulty out of a diy build.

i'd prefer cr123 drivers just to keep them common with other lights

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 9:22:22 PM EDT
[#33]
What ma driver circuit would it require? Digikey shows 320mW/sr @ 1A  at 2.9V , 1000ma or up? Digikey Olson 4715S specs And where is a good place to get parts to roll your own?
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 6:08:39 AM EDT
[#34]
You want to drive the Osram led at 1050ma or 1.05 amps.  Directly driven at that amperage the light will be to bright for 3rd gen intensifier tubes.  I used a single mode 1.05 amp driver and removed 2 out of 3 of the 7135 chips reducing the amperage to 0.3 amps +/- and I was still getting burn under 50 yards focused to a spot.  I didn't play with it much at full power as I wanted something I could actually use but I was lighting up trees over 1/2 mile away.  I ended up buying a custom programed driver and set it for 2 modes.  Low and lower.

I posted a shopping list a month or two ago to build one of these.  You can do it for less than $40.  It's not kosher here to repeatedly plug non paying venders so I won't.  I will say about the link posted above for the emitters, the owner is gtg and will build one for you if you ask.  If anyone is adventurous and wants to build one and needs some advice send me a pm.  I would be glad to help.  All you have to do is some basic soldering.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 6:46:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Thanks for the info all, hate to get a light that only works for a few minutes before getting too hot to use.  I am interested in any info on diy IR flashlights. For now just wanting something to use with cheap Gen 1 devices to hunt hogs with.
Can you post a link to the shopping list please?
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:46:42 PM EDT
[#36]
what driver will drive the Osram led at 1050ma and allow 3 brightness settings?
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 5:25:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
what driver will drive the Osram led at 1050ma and allow 3 brightness settings?
View Quote

These work but looks like their out of them.
http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=67&product_id=240

Email me if you're interested in a complete IR T20.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top