Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2014 4:40:28 PM EDT
I am still somewhat new to NVG………………………..

I noticed that my envis a MUCH clearer than pitbull.  I assume its due to the difference between optics. Has anybody else noticed Envis optics are clearer?

I’ve only had a few chances to try out my new NOD (pitbull), but I noticed that the objective lens on my is usually  set to near infinity (about couple mm away from all the way to infitity).  Most of the adjustments are far viewing about 3 feet and closer.  This makes most of the focus useless unless your looking at something close.    (hopefully you understand what I am trying to describe) Is this normal?  I was thinking that maybe the objective lens wasn’t installed properly, but doubt because it was installed & purged by AB Nightvision.

Off topic: Which one do you prefer better?  Both pics using same tube (mx10160c)

Envis

Pitbull / PVS 14 optics / DIY screw in amber filter / 680nm IR Filter

Thanks,

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:50:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Envis optics are glorious. I noticed the same thing when i switched my tube out. Miss the more accurate focusing too
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:24:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Envis optics are glorious. I noticed the same thing when i switched my tube out. Miss the more accurate focusing too
View Quote

This, not sure what optics the Pit has but probably not milspec and Envis optics are milspec and hard to beat. Some commercial lenses are pretty good especially when you factor in the cost difference.

I like the factory Micro lens but it is not a Envis lens so I swap them.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:36:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

This, not sure what optics the Pit has but probably not milspec and Envis optics are milspec and hard to beat. Some commercial lenses are pretty good especially when you factor in the cost difference.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Having not seen an ENVIS nor any ANVIS for that matter, how big is the image quality difference to MUM-14 (the one's I have are with the blue coating if that makes any difference, are there different MUM objective lenses even?)? Every day reading this forum you learn something new. I had no idea that there were that noticeable differences between these goggles that are generally thought as very good quality.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:25:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I would rate the Envis lens slightly above a Mum but both are darn good lenses. Anvis lenses are probably the best but most have coatings for cockpit lighting and such which can SLIGHTLY degrade ground performance. The PVS-14 lenses are very good. The Envis has a more slow focus for lack of a better word. You can just really fine tune it and get crisp focus. And Envis lenses are C mount which guys like me like because I swap lenses around.

To swap out a objective on a PVS-14 I have to disassemble the entire scope. With a Micro I just unscrew it and go. Your Mum lens coating I am sure is just a anti reflective coating which most quality lenses have.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:45:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I would rate the Envis lens slightly above a Mum but both are darn good lenses. Anvis lenses are probably the best but most have coatings for cockpit lighting and such which can SLIGHTLY degrade ground performance. The PVS-14 lenses are very good. The Envis has a more slow focus for lack of a better word. You can just really fine tune it and get crisp focus. And Envis lenses are C mount which guys like me like because I swap lenses around.

To swap out a objective on a PVS-14 I have to disassemble the entire scope. With a Micro I just unscrew it and go. Your Mum lens coating I am sure is just a anti reflective coating which most quality lenses have.
View Quote

That's reassuring to hear, no need to start longing for better optics then
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 7:44:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I purchased both lens off ebay for the pitbull.  Are all pvs 14 optics created equally?   I say lens in my pitbull is 80% as clear as my envis.  How far is object clear When your pvs 14 objective lens is turned 1/2 way?
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 3:51:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I purchased both lens off ebay for the pitbull.  Are all pvs 14 optics created equally?   I say lens in my pitbull is 80% as clear as my envis.  How far is object clear When your pvs 14 objective lens is turned 1/2 way?
View Quote

As long as it is a milspec PVS-14 lens and not some cheap copy they all should perform similar and have to meet the same QC.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 7:04:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

As long as it is a milspec PVS-14 lens and not some cheap copy they all should perform similar and have to meet the same QC.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is there a way to determine if its mil spec?
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 7:26:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can usually tell by looking through it. Milspec lenses have markings but they can be faked. I am not aware of fake ones though I am sure they exist. If you have a lens you suspect post some pics and we will see if it passes the smell test.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 1:43:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You can usually tell by looking through it. Milspec lenses have markings but they can be faked. I am not aware of fake ones though I am sure they exist. If you have a lens you suspect post some pics and we will see if it passes the smell test.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My lens (pvs 14 optics) are already installed on my pitbull.  I posted some pics on instagram (username: datsthat) and a response I got was that the image was very nice and clear so maybe lens are milspec.  I thought it might be fake because i was comparing with envis.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 7:13:18 PM EDT
[#11]
To me it seems that the biggest difference could be in the ocular in this case. In your Envis pics the "grain" & scintillations are more clearly pronounced as if (at least) the camera was able to better focus to the view. With your 14 optics those are not as clearly visible so it might be getting just as fine a pic to the intensifier tube, but what you see isn't as good. I think the objective lens is the one that usually makes the most difference to image quality and light gathering ability so I really am surprised if the 14 ocular is worse than one from Envis. Just some random thoughts if that gets you thinking.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 5:25:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Do you have a picture through the Pitbull without the Amber filter and IR filter?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top