Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2014 7:18:39 AM EDT
While switching tubes between a m644 raptor and envis m703 I noticed previously lubricated areas that I would like to re-lube.  What is the proper lube or the "good enough" commercially available lube for this purpose?
Petroleum jelly?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:15:28 AM EDT
[#1]
mispost, sorry.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:05:02 AM EDT
[#2]

Silicon Grease would be the easy answer - There have been more accurate posts about which one to get in the past, but a small tub of $3 silicon flashlight-o-ring grease will do the trick. Mainly, you don't want to corrode the rubber o-rings... And so any O-ring grease is the second answer.

Vaseline is not suitable as it will corrode some plastics and rubbers.

Though if you have used vaseline, it's not a huge problem - just clean it out sometime in the next six months and replace with silicon grease.

Regards

David
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:25:30 PM EDT
[#3]
How critical is it to use grease?

I'm a tinkerer and have disassembled and reassembled many of the NODs I own just for my own experimentation and education. I've never lubed any of them.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:30:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I know it was pretty critical in paintball to lube the o-rings to keep an air tight seal. For these devices, I'd imagine its the same situation, unless you don't care about getting a new purge.

When I played (and you weren't using a branded/dedicated Paintball product) Castrol Red Rubber grease and Lucas Red 'N Tacky were popular on the o-rings due to low costs. Dow Corning MolyKote #33 is also a nice o-ring lube. #55 MolyKote also works great.

For the price, it is hard to beat the automotive synthetic lubes. I've never had an issue with Lucas Red 'N Tacky, which is lithium based, when using it on my O-rings.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:39:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How critical is it to use grease?

I'm a tinkerer and have disassembled and reassembled many of the NODs I own just for my own experimentation and education. I've never lubed any of them.
View Quote

When you start to need vice grips to focus either end of the scope it is past time. The grease dries gradually so most don't realize the ever increasing force needed to adjust the focuses. In my experience it is good to do every three years. At about 4 it is pretty stiff which tears up the O rings. Not a big deal as you can put new O rings in but some grease eliminates all that noise.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:05:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm not sure about what really qualifies as "proper" or not. But I can tell you that military PVS-15's (and likely numerous other models) that get sent in for depot level repair get a light application of Krytox grease, which is a specialized dupont lubricant.

It is NOT cheap; IE a small 2 oz tooth-past style tube will run you close to $100...
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:44:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I always use Permatex dielectric grease from any auto parts store. Silicone grease that is cheap and lasts a long time. Won't damage any rubber seals. It is also known as tune-up grease around my way.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:51:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Dow Corning MolyKote #33 and #55 both meet military standards for o-ring usage. I don't recall the exact spec #. I want to say #33 is the extreme low temp version, which is why I always used it here in Michigan. Significantly cheaper than the Dupont product mentioned. Not sure which is the best - I'm sure all of them work. Hell, olive oil and butter would work better than nothing or dirt/sand.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:43:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I have repaired lots of optics that have fogged tubes from someone  (including manufacturers) using the wrong grease. It usually doesn't matter unless they are exposed to high temperature ( like the sand box) or the dashboard of a car. The volatile chemicals evaporate and form condensation on the lenses.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:54:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have repaired lots of optics that have fogged tubes from someone  (including manufacturers) using the wrong grease. It usually doesn't matter unless they are exposed to high temperature ( like the sand box) or the dashboard of a car. The volatile chemicals evaporate and form condensation on the lenses.
View Quote

Upon repair, what are you using to grease the o-rings?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:27:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Krytox. Any grease that is non reactive to the parts of your scope and has this key phrase "Contain no volatile organic compound (VOC) materials "
You don't want anything that will evaporate and leave a residue inside the scope.

A small tube of Krytox is $15 on Amazon and should last dozens of scopes.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:24:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks guys
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:44:08 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't know about the "fancy" high dollar grease but I have done hundreds on the same tube of Permatex dielectric grease without one complaint. Has worked for me for years. Never any issue.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top