Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/29/2014 8:47:34 PM EDT
Is this stuff as remarkable as it sounds?

Any videos or comparisons out there?

Why no new products coming out with it?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:10:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not familiar with Gen 3+1, but if you mean Gen 4 I can tell you that the "Gen 4" designation was dropped by the military.  It is now referred to as "filmless" technology and while they can be very sensitive tubes that can have some very high specs, especially in the SNR and PCR numbers, they have been shown to be less durable and have significantly less of a lifespan when compared to standard filmed and thin filmed Gen 3 tubes.  I am one of the least knowledgable people here, but iirc thin film technology was born out of the need created when the military decided to ditch the so called Gen 4 tech, but was still looking for better performance.

Please disregard.  Looks like we are talking about something completely different here, my mistake!
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:17:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote

It is a 25mm tube style that is not in as "common" use as it once was. Tubes like these are expensive to make and it is just not cost effective to produce super tubes in large numbers. I am sure a handful here and there are made for special forces and .Gov entity's.

The 3+1 is just a older technology good Gen 3 25mm tube even more amplified by the addition of a second stage of amplification (simple explanation). CJ can give a more scientific explanation. They don't have the crystal clear resolution of say a modern Omni VIII tube. What they do have is OUTSTANDING light gain. They will destroy the best Gen 3 modern tubes when it gets really dark. Nice tubes but I doubt we will ever see them in full scale production.

Just costs to much to make them and only the Gov with deep pockets will pay for that. They were never mass produced tubes which is why they are rare to find. I have only found one and I keep my eyes peeled. I will find it again before I die.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:20:13 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It is a 25mm tube style that is not in as "common" use as it once was. Tubes like these are expensive to make and it is just not cost effective to produce super tubes in large numbers. I am sure a handful here and there are made for special forces and .Gov entity's.

The 3+1 is just a older technology good Gen 3 25mm tube even more amplified by the addition of a second stage of amplification (simple explanation). CJ can give a more scientific explanation. They don't have the crystal clear resolution of say a modern Omni VIII tube. What they do have is OUTSTANDING light gain. They will destroy the best Gen 3 modern tubes when it gets really dark. Nice tubes but I doubt we will ever see them in full scale production.

Just costs to much to make them and only the Gov with deep pockets will pay for that. They were never mass produced tubes which is why they are rare to find. I have only found one and I keep my eyes peeled. I will find it again before I die.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The more I read about them, the more I want one lol. So they are like the holy grail of nightvision?

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:36:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The more I read about them, the more I want one lol. So they are like the holy grail of nightvision?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty close if not the Holy Grail. I here tale of a film less 25mm tube. Never seen one. I still don't think even a film less version would beat the 3+1. The three stage Gen 1 cascade tubes have very good gain. Glass input 25mm Gen 3 tubes is what you want to look for. They are not marked 3+1 for the naked eye to see. You have to do some detective work. I can't educate future competition to much though.

To be honest I stumbled upon mine purely by accident. It was a Star-Tron surveillance scope I suspected to be Gen 3 (sold as Gen 2). It was Gen 3 but I found a strange contract number on it. Errr, FBI something or other from memory. I learned it was a 3+1. The FBI contract number was a clue this was not a normal production tube off the line. Special tubes.

Never seen another FBI contract number in my life so far. I used to have pics and all that of the tube and its performance. Sadly they were lost. Was around the Agent Wu scare and pictures were flying out of the night vision forums all across the land. We can't have nice things anymore and fewer pics get posted of cool gear.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 11:19:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Slightly off topic, but I was one day reading Photonis tube specs and they say you can order a tube with one, two or three layers of MCP. I guess that would lead to extreme gains too, but with a different effect on image quality than what I'd think 3+1 looks like.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:45:06 AM EDT
[#6]
As someone who finds thin filmed Gen 3 technology lacking on really dark nights, this is an interesting topic...
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:23:12 AM EDT
[#7]

Gen 3+1 tubes are hybrid tubes.

One of the issues with high gain tubes ( eg, multiple MCPs or high-voltage over the MCP ) is that they introduce noise, and can have a higher EBI level. Hybrids are a special class of cascade tube that uses either a Gen2 or Gen3 tube for one stage and a Gen1 tube for the other. Some have Gen3 tubes at the front and Gen1 at the back. Others have a diode-tube at the front and a Gen2 at the back. There are possibly also GaAs Gen1 to Gen3 tubes out there, and I know of at least one record of a Gen1 diode tube with a GaAs photocathode.

The hybrid tubes were developed as the "ultimate" form of tube, and had special power supplies and very high gains, often in excess of 100,000x and with S/N way above normal tubes. They can produce very low noise images that lend themselves to NV photography with longer exposures.

The last I heard of hybrid tubes was around the turn of the century - and they were Gen3+1 and were used in some of th Stinger Night Sights, and used a 25mm tube.

Generally, they have fantastic resolution, very low noise, high signal and can outperform most Gen3 tubes.

However, they don't easily support features like autogating in some configurations, and unless a diode-tube is used, there will be some pincushion distortion. Power supplies are quite expensive to make for them, and although they are complicated, they were made in both 25mm and 18mm tube formats, so they could be retrofitted to existing housings.

They make excellent astronomy tubes, and the information on them is a little sketchy - something that was only realized when a "known" model of 3+1 tube failed, but was found to be a Gen3 tube with an extended fiber plate.

A modern high-performance PVS-14 would give similar results to a Gen3+1 - but they are still collectors items.

Regards

David.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:48:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Does these high gain tubes help in very low light situations? Is the photocathode the limiting factor or MCP or something else? I don't fully grasp how a cascade Gen1 for example works because if the first photocathode fails to generate electrons then there just is nothing to amplify. And then, when I use my NV in very low light all I get is that weird noise and no image what so ever - is there still electrons being formed in the photocathode but their energy is so low that MCP fails to amplify them? I have been in the belief that if an electron is generated from the photocathode then it will almost surely get amplified in the MCP. If that was the case then these high gain tubes would not help in very low light, but how is it in reality?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:47:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

One of the issues with high gain tubes ( eg, multiple MCPs or high-voltage over the MCP ) is that they introduce noise, and can have a higher EBI level. Hybrids are a special class of cascade tube that uses either a Gen2 or Gen3 tube for one stage and a Gen1 tube for the other. Some have Gen3 tubes at the front and Gen1 at the back. Others have a diode-tube at the front and a Gen2 at the back. There are possibly also GaAs Gen1 to Gen3 tubes out there, and I know of at least one record of a Gen1 diode tube with a GaAs photocathode.

The hybrid tubes were developed as the "ultimate" form of tube, and had special power supplies and very high gains, often in excess of 100,000x and with S/N way above normal tubes. They can produce very low noise images that lend themselves to NV photography with longer exposures.

The last I heard of hybrid tubes was around the turn of the century - and they were Gen3+1 and were used in some of th Stinger Night Sights, and used a 25mm tube.

Generally, they have fantastic resolution, very low noise, high signal and can outperform most Gen3 tubes.

However, they don't easily support features like autogating in some configurations, and unless a diode-tube is used, there will be some pincushion distortion. Power supplies are quite expensive to make for them, and although they are complicated, they were made in both 25mm and 18mm tube formats, so they could be retrofitted to existing housings.

They make excellent astronomy tubes, and the information on them is a little sketchy - something that was only realized when a "known" model of 3+1 tube failed, but was found to be a Gen3 tube with an extended fiber plate.

A modern high-performance PVS-14 would give similar results to a Gen3+1 - but they are still collectors items.

Regards
David.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:32:16 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Regards

David.

Yes, it was quite sad to hear...  The owner of the tube had been helping me classify each of the model numbers for the  PVS-4 Wikipedia entry and all the information that came out of the factory pegged it at Gen3+1 for that model number, but they had a tube fail and when they took it apart, they discovered the long FO tube and informed me that the records I had were inaccurate - So it looks like some of the SNS records are incorrect. Weight used to be how we classified them, but even this does not help with certainly anymore.  It makes finding these tubes even harder now.

Murtis - The issue is that when an electron is amplified at the MCP, the MCP add's noise, and other factors such as the MCP-PC voltage also add's noise ( and noise that get's amplified ) -

MCPs contribute significant amounts of noise to an image when turned up to very high levels, and this is why only single-layer MCPs are used in modern military tubes and multi-MCP tubes are purely for research purposes.

A cascade is just another form of amplification, but the cascade does not add noise in the same way that a MCP does - and the noise from the subsequent image tubes is a hundred times lower than natural noise int he primary photocathode, so is negligible - as a result, cascades have very low noise for the amount of gain they produce, although they do have other losses at each stage.

This is how a 40 year of cascade tube such as you can get for a few hundred dollars ( see the DIY cascade thread ) can perform similarly to an older Gen3 tube, and has more gain, typically, than a PVS-14.

A hybrid tube takes advantage of this and uses a second electro-optical amplifier to amplify the image from the prior tube, rather than use a MCP which is in-tube but adds additional noise.

However...

At some point, a Gen2 tube photocathode ( or a Gen1 cascade photocathode ) lacks sensitivity sufficient that the image, even if amplified over 100,000x , will start to break up - This is the only area a Gen3 tube will show an image where a cascade will start to fail - and of course, the Gen3 single-stage benefits from a higher resolution at lower light levels also.

Usually this is under overcast starlight conditions - where the light levels matter enough that the PC sensitivity is the main limiting factor.  ( Under about NL6 - night level 6 ).

Also, modern tubes have much lower MCP noise levels than you might imagine from reading the above - this is one area in which technology keeps improving. Photonis have phenomenal low-noise MCPs in their tubes, which allow tubes with around half of the sensitivity of Gen3 tubes to compete in terms of functionality, so you can read between the lines and guess that their MCPs probably generate about half the noise of US based MCPs. After all, with the gain levels and noise levels being equivalent, they have to make up for the shortfall in input signal somewhere - and in their older tubes, it was with higher low-noise amplification. In their newer tubes, they've done something else with the photocathode also -

Regards

David

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:03:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Thank you once again for a great explanation. Also interesting thoughts on the Photonis tubes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top