Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/22/2014 10:06:39 AM EDT
COME ONE COME ALL -

Don't matter what Generation, what technology it is, or whether you truly believe it to be technically possible BUT I want to know - If your night vision scope was capable of doing 1 additional thing that would make it an even more useful tool in the field what would that be?

The market is evolving at a pretty good rate and I am seeing features that frankly I never knew to be possible and others that I had thought of as plausible but perhaps not offered in the style or type of scope that I am using.

I wish my riflescope had the ability to take in an external video feed and display a Picture in Picture (PiP) image.  I would find this useful with my thermal monocular mounted on a tripod at the widest possible field of view (FOV) overlooking an area along with my standard scope view for precision shots with magnification.

I would have ultimate discretion before I pull the trigger say for example I am seeing Pigs 1 - 5 under the feeder and about as I am going to take the shot what I am not seeing is Pig #6 hanging back a few yards away.  I have actually had this happen, I took an animal and when I returned home and loaded the video footage on my computer I realized that additional animals were recorded on the video output's wider FOV that I didn't see via the viewfinder.

This feature isn't make or break BUT it'd sure be nice to have............

HTXH
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:11:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Internet access so I can surf the ARF NV forum while blasting stuff.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:16:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Thermal Overlay

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:20:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

Now THAT I want
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:27:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Dino - you're such a trip, good one!

Grim  -  I think that is an awesome feature, much to my surprise it hasn't come into focus for the civilian market with respect to prices falling and incorporation across many products, at least not as quickly as I'd like to see it happen
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:01:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Besides more options for the overseas guys.

Laser range finder, I reckon would be a good feature. Similar to the Burris eliminator line but in the Green or in digi.

Surpose it wouldn't realy be needed with a centerfire but with PCP's and or subs out a 22lr for little game I think would be a winner.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:24:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Besides more options for the overseas guys.

Laser range finder, I reckon would be a good feature. Similar to the Burris eliminator line but in the Green or in digi.

View Quote

Built in LRF would be near the top of my "could-be-afforded" list, but thermal I^2 fusion leads the pack.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:26:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Since you asked about NV and not thermal I have to agree that a LRF would be it.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:31:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Since you asked about NV and not thermal I have to agree that a LRF would be it.
View Quote

Edited the threads title to include additional scope technologies - Thx
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:19:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

See what happens while I am thinking and typing.

While I have no experience with the PVS-10 I always thought it would have been a great idea if someone
could have reduced the size of the technology, as being able to switch from D to N with a flip of a switch would have been great.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:48:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Wilcox RAPTAR already does LRF
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:13:42 PM EDT
[#11]
rotary switch for the display brightness - i know some have this but mine does not - and those displays can be very bright , a proper old fashioned  switch to turn it up or right down quickly i think is a must have
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:42:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

For the low, low price of one BILLION dollars... each.

I would like LRF, but with a twist. I would like the LRF to range, then for it to auto-adjust the reticle for precise BDC without having to use hold-overs.

Then, of course, fusion overlay, but the current state of thermal means it would have to be nominal magnification, so no 10x scopes.

Then it would be PiP with video out.

Of course, by the time all is said and done, we're looking at a digital scope, which is OK... I suppose.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:46:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I would like LRF, but with a twist. I would like the LRF to range, then for it to auto-adjust the reticle for precise BDC without having to use hold-overs.

Then, of course, fusion overlay, but the current state of thermal means it would have to be nominal magnification, so no 10x scopes.

Of course, by the time all is said and done, we're looking at a digital scope, which is OK... I suppose.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You need more training. What you describe is sexy as hell in a video game world, but an epic nightmare in the real world.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:54:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You need more training. What you describe is sexy as hell in a video game world, but an epic nightmare in the real world.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess it's a good thing I didn't mention what I really want -- a helmet-mounted HUD that turns the gun on an articulating gimbal, a la Apache  
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:59:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I guess it's a good thing I didn't mention what I really want -- a helmet-mounted HUD that turns the gun on an articulating gimbal, a la Apache  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It works in theory. The difference between theory and reality is that in theory there is no difference, while in reality, there is.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:22:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You do realize the hazards invloved with being the Beta tester on something like this, right?  I mean if you accidently happen to glance down at your lower extremities and forgot to disarm, well that could be a bit hairy
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 4:16:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

We are or at least I am referring to a LRF that is incorporated into a NV scope.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:13:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Since I only get to pick one...

The ability to read the wind between me and what is in my crosshairs... I can already range it with an LRF but something to integrate the wind velocity over the flight path of a bullet would be nice...

I know darpa was working on something like this a decade ago coupled with an LRF for sniper teams but AFAIK it didn't pan out...
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:18:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Since I only get to pick one...

The ability to read the wind between me and what is in my crosshairs... I can already range it with an LRF but something to integrate the wind velocity over the flight path of a bullet would be nice...

I know darpa was working on something like this a decade ago coupled with an LRF for sniper teams but AFAIK it didn't pan out...
View Quote

IIRC, its being test fielded. Problem being, if someone is on the laser frequency, you would look like a disco ball with all the lasers necessary for an accurate computation for a shot.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:16:51 AM EDT
[#20]
another vote for LRF+ballistic calculator.
"must have" for subsonic.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:05:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Higher resolution thermal with pseudo-realtime response, fused with I^2 and having either/or/both manual [mechanical not menu] switching capability.

Bonus points for doesn't cost a small fortune, doesn't weigh a ton, doesn't eat batteries like candy, and is hardened (waterproof and shock resistant).
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:57:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Video-out for non-digital NV would be nice. Maybe wi-if/bluetooth connectivity to record and/or transmit in real time to a phone, iPad or other device.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:02:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Thus far -

Laser Range Finding - 4

Thermal Overlay - 4

I^2 video output - 1

Picture in Picture - 1

Wind reading with calculated ballistic hold - 1

Rotary dial for display brightness control - 1

Internet Access - 1

Note:  Pulsar is introducing a digital system with LRF within 1 year and a thermal system with Picture in Picture (small window is 2x magnification)

What else???  I'm surprised nobody has asked for pink/white color palette or digital scope with color palette (white/black hot or etc)

HTXH
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:38:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Pink palette meh...just give me acceptable image resolution without the lag and need for active IR.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top