Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2014 5:17:18 PM EDT
I'm getting ready to purchase one for a pretty good price out of the EE. This one is an OTS-X F314 and has a 19mm lens while the specs say it should have a 14mm. I found one other forum post online where someone else got one from the factory with a 19mm. Any chance anyone can clarify on this? I'm happy to have a 19 over a 14, just curious what the deal is.

I posted this same question in the ATN industry forum but haven't gotten any responses yet.

Also, I read somewhere else that these can be helmet mounted with PVS-14 accessories or weapon mounted. The ATN website nor the documentation for the OTS says anything about this. Any chance y'all can clarify on that as well? Looks like it is a great unit either way, just curious to learn more details on it from those in the know. Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:23:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm getting ready to purchase one for a pretty good price out of the EE. This one is an OTS-X F314 and has a 19mm lens while the specs say it should have a 14mm. I found one other forum post online where someone else got one from the factory with a 19mm. Any chance anyone can clarify on this? I'm happy to have a 19 over a 14, just curious what the deal is.

I posted this same question in the ATN industry forum but haven't gotten any responses yet.

Also, I read somewhere else that these can be helmet mounted with PVS-14 accessories or weapon mounted. The ATN website nor the documentation for the OTS says anything about this. Any chance y'all can clarify on that as well? Looks like it is a great unit either way, just curious to learn more details on it from those in the know. Thanks!
View Quote

I had one, it said "19mm" on the lens housing, but I didnt have a way to measure anything.  The cool thing is the lenses are changeable.

my PVS j-arm worked with the OTS-X, the threads work, but the screen will be at an angle (screen is a square, and is not level with jarm) but it will work
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:24:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote

Heineken has the most experience with that model, and it *should* come with a 14mm lens stock, but the nice thing is the lens is interchangeable, which can be a huge advantage. If it comes with a 19mm lens, all the better. 14mm is nice for FOV, but the little extra on the 19mm is worthwhile.

I don't know about standard PVS J-arms, but it should be able to helmet mount without difficulty.

ETA: Speak of the devil...  
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:22:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks dudes, much obliged!

I don't really plan to helmet mount it right now.  Just mainly asking out of curiosity.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 9:30:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Talked to Sachal with ATN and he says all 314 OTS-X thermals come with a 19mm lens.    I'm all good with that!  But why not make that publicly known?   Seems like they'd sell more with the improved specs of the actual unit.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:38:46 AM EDT
[#5]
You're not going to want to helmet mount it - at least I wouldn't. It is great as a spotting device (Like your X320), but I would probably kill myself if I had to walk through the woods with it, or drive with it. It isn't that the image isn't clear, it just isn't the best suited device for that purpose. I also wouldn't advise having a PVS-14 on one eye and the ATN OTS-X on the other.

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 2:48:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't plan to just curious is all.   I saw a pic online of one helmet mounted and it interested me.  I intend to use it handheld only or possibly on a small tripod as well.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 3:06:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't plan to just curious is all.   I saw a pic online of one helmet mounted and it interested me.  I intend to use it handheld only or possibly on a small tripod as well.
View Quote

For that purpose - it is excellent.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 4:19:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Talked to Sachal with ATN and he says all 314 OTS-X thermals come with a 19mm lens.    I'm all good with that!  But why not make that publicly known?   Seems like they'd sell more with the improved specs of the actual unit.
View Quote

I wondered all the same things, but if you look at their web sight you can see attention to detail is not always their strong suit.  they have numerous typos and/or conflicts of info.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 4:50:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I kinda gathered that.  No matter as it sounds like the unit is top notch.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:52:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I kinda gathered that.  No matter as it sounds like the unit is top notch.
View Quote

I was very happy with the unit...at one point I had a loner unit and I put it thru some tough tests.  I would buy again.

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 12:18:19 AM EDT
[#11]
That's awesome.   I'm glad to hear good things.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top