Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2014 12:19:56 AM EDT
I have been looking for a dual mount for my 14's and some brief searching lead me to the "Integrated Components Night Vision Helmet Mount (IC) D-14 Dual PVS-14 Mounting System" seen HERE.  Does anyone have any experience with this mount?  For reference i run an Ops Core Ballistic high cut helmet with a Wilcox G24 mount so I am looking for something with the dovetail interface.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:59:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Check with Horta as he has one and I am sure he can provide some good end user info.
Murderman might be able to offer some info as well he has a little time with it.
It is on my list after getting to play with one.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:54:18 AM EDT
[#2]
I did a review on it like a month or two ago. Should be in this forum somewhere. Its good to go.

<edit> Nevermind, I'm an idiot - I reviewed the NV Depot Bridge, not ModArmory. Totally different.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_18/427787_Does_anyone_own_an_NVDepot_Dual_Headmount_Adapter_.html
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:58:49 AM EDT
[#3]
At least until the Wilcox model becomes available, the MA bridge is, IMO, the best dual PVS bridge on the market.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:33:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies guys.  I'm probably going to pull the trigger on it.  I'm sure the Wilcox will be very nice, but I'm guessing it will be more expensive as well, and who knows when they will be released.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 1:48:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Agree with everyone above, although I have only had one for two weeks it is a great unit.  I had a N vision unit that I sent back, don't waste your time and money on that one.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:21:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I currently have in my possession both the IC/MOD Armory mount (borrowed) and the N-Vision standard not the Advanced mount.

Haven't had them for very long at all - but have got some initial observations that I will be posting in a direct side-by-side review sometime later this week.  

The MOD Armory mount is heavy - but feature rich -

The N-Vision is noticeably lighter, but lacks some of the convenience and some of the features of the MOD Armory mount.

They've both got their good and their bad - and I think they reflect different design philosophies that might tie into the best ways of employment for both as well.  

Either way - I think both are very viable options - looking forward to seeing what the Wilcox mount brings to the table, though it will probably have a commensurate cost with whatever new features brings with it.    

~Augee
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:01:46 PM EDT
[#7]
What size counter weight are you thinking about running on the back?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:56:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What size counter weight are you thinking about running on the back?
View Quote

This may have been directed at Augee, but I ordered the EOG low profile long counterweight.  I'm guessing around 1.5lbs or so should be about right, but that's just a guess.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:26:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I should have clarified. After Augees post, if you want modular options the Mod Armory is king. If having dual pvs -14s is the goal Mod armory  dual mount is king. Stay away from the advanced N vision  mount mind you, it is complete shit,  But the non- modular mount Augee is talking about is a nice unit.l

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:46:44 AM EDT
[#10]
I don't know the exact weight of the counterweight I'm using - but I'm currently running around with an MS2000 and eight AA batteries.

It could probably be a little bit heavier, honestly - though it's more noticeable with the MOD Armory over the N-Vision mount.

I'm thinking of picking up the Original SOE NSW Helmet Ballast, since it should more or less carry about the same amount of weight.  

Been trying to re-evaluate what I want to do with the counterweights myself, personally - I've got a somewhat haphazardly rigged Velcro-modified dual pistol magazine pouch which works great when the magazines are full - but not all training environments under NODs will allow me to walk around with unaccounted for live ammunition...

I'm still trying to avoid the concept of simply putting "dead" weight on my the back of my helmet if it's not necessary to do so - but we will see as I continue to develop exactly what I want to do in terms of counterweighting.  

A "mixed bag" of batteries in the NSW helmet ballast for a "full set" of replacement batteries for all of my electronics would probably give me the weight I needed, and would free up some pouch space elsewhere - and I've not yet had to replace batteries in the field, as I've managed to do a fairly good job of checking my electronics before going out, and swapping them out if I'm even the least bit unsure.  

~Augee  
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:33:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I don't know the exact weight of the counterweight I'm using - but I'm currently running around with an MS2000 and eight AA batteries.

It could probably be a little bit heavier, honestly - though it's more noticeable with the MOD Armory over the N-Vision mount.

I'm thinking of picking up the Original SOE NSW Helmet Ballast, since it should more or less carry about the same amount of weight.  

Been trying to re-evaluate what I want to do with the counterweights myself, personally - I've got a somewhat haphazardly rigged Velcro-modified dual pistol magazine pouch which works great when the magazines are full - but not all training environments under NODs will allow me to walk around with unaccounted for live ammunition...

I'm still trying to avoid the concept of simply putting "dead" weight on my the back of my helmet if it's not necessary to do so - but we will see as I continue to develop exactly what I want to do in terms of counterweighting.  

A "mixed bag" of batteries in the NSW helmet ballast for a "full set" of replacement batteries for all of my electronics would probably give me the weight I needed, and would free up some pouch space elsewhere - and I've not yet had to replace batteries in the field, as I've managed to do a fairly good job of checking my electronics before going out, and swapping them out if I'm even the least bit unsure.  

~Augee  
View Quote

Man, you guys must have some beefy necks! That NSW looks massive.

I went the maxpedition volta route. http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/Volta-Battery-Case-p581.htm
I used adhesive marine grade velcro and hand stitched the perimeter of the velcro to the molle webbing on the maxpedition. I couldn't imagine running full mags on my head, and I'm built like a pack mule - short and stout.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:36:41 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm waiting to see what Wilcox brings to the table.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:11:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

This, the Mod armory mount seems very Wilcox like. I had the chance to examine one.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:37:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This, the Mod armory mount seems very Wilcox like. I had the chance to examine one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shouldn't that be the other way around
Are there any advatages to the Wilcox over the Mod Armory or are you under orders to keep it under wraps?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:37:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

it sure would be nice if both of the dovetails that hold the monocular could have left to right screw adjustments or if the arms could swap from the Wilcox mum mount so you could have a dovetail on one side and a mum on the other
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:42:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can anyone that's seen it at least comment on how similar it will be to their other bridge mounts that they have available?  

I see this -

Wilcox Modular Monocular/Binocular Bridge System | BAE SkeetIRx / PVS-14 supposedly for sale for $575

Wilcox lists it with an MSRP of $594.11 -

http://www.wilcoxind.com/Binocular-Bridge-for-BAE-SkeetIRx-P170C870.aspx

According to Wilcox's listing -

The Bino-Bridge for the BAE SkeetIRx and PVS-14 provides the operator the ability to use these devices as either a monocular or binocular. The SkeetIRx Bridge fits into our standard G24 NVG mount and provides a solid mounting platform and several adjustment points for a precise fit. The SkeetIRx Bridge also allows the operator to flip up the thermal/NVG flat against the helmet when not being used and can be switched between the different mounting options without the need of special tools or having to take the mount off the helmet.
[empahsis added]

Is this it?  Or is there another one coming?  

I would assume that they're going to use what looks to be a common center piece with the mounting interface - based on their other bridge mounts, I would think the major difference to expect from the Wilcox will be lateral IP distance adjustments, rather than some variation of rotating the monoculars as on both N-Vision and the MOD Armory unit.  

Whether or not the above is "the" upcoming PVS-14 bridge - depending on how similar it will be to their already existing bridge mounts from Wilcox, it might be able to give us a decent idea about at least some of its properties - the most important one to me being weight - looking at their other bridge mounts -

The Mini N-SEAS bridge is listed at 5.64 oz.

The MUM-14/GT-14 bridge is listed at 4.7 oz.

and the BAE SkeetIRx / PVS-14(?) bridge is listed at 6.08 oz.  

In comparison, the MOD Armory mount is listed to weigh in at 5.5 oz., and the N-Vision standard bridge is listed at 3.3 oz.

I'm definitely in anticipation of the Wilcox mount to see what it is and what it offers - but I ran across a post by TNVC from June of 2013 saying "later this year," as well as a post from this year saying "August."  

Given the cost and the fact that it may end up being pretty much just as heavy as the MOD Armory, I'm glad I didn't choose to try to wait it out.  

This of course, is no criticism of Wilcox Industries, as I'm sure it'll be a great product and I'm glad they're not rushing it to market - and I'm still on the hunt for a G24.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:42:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Are there any advatages to the Wilcox over the Mod Armory or are you under orders to keep it under wraps?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Said more than I already should have so I will go hide in the corner and keep my mouth shut.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:51:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Can anyone that's seen it at least comment on how similar it will be to their other bridge mounts that they have available?  

I see this -

http://www.wilcoxind.com/Assets/ProductImages/SKEETIR-assembly.jpg

Wilcox Modular Monocular/Binocular Bridge System | BAE SkeetIRx / PVS-14 supposedly for sale for $575

[empahsis added]

I would assume that they're going to use what looks to be a common center piece with the mounting interface - based on their other bridge mounts, I would think the major difference to expect from the Wilcox will be lateral IP distance adjustments, rather than some variation of rotating the monoculars as on both N-Vision and the MOD Armory unit.  

Whether or not the above is "the" upcoming PVS-14 bridge - depending on how similar it will be to their already existing bridge mounts from Wilcox, it might be able to give us a decent idea about at least some of its properties - the most important one to me being weight - looking at their other bridge mounts -

In comparison, the MOD Armory mount is listed to weigh in at 5.5 oz., and the N-Vision standard bridge is listed at 3.3 oz.

I'm definitely in anticipation of the Wilcox mount to see what it is and what it offers - but I ran across a post by TNVC from June of 2013 saying "later this year," as well as a post from this year saying "August."  

Given the cost and the fact that it may end up being pretty much just as heavy as the MOD Armory, I'm glad I didn't choose to try to wait it out.  

This of course, is no criticism of Wilcox Industries, as I'm sure it'll be a great product and I'm glad they're not rushing it to market - and I'm still on the hunt for a G24.  

~Augee
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see this -

http://www.wilcoxind.com/Assets/ProductImages/SKEETIR-assembly.jpg

The Bino-Bridge for the BAE SkeetIRx and PVS-14 provides the operator the ability to use these devices as either a monocular or binocular. The SkeetIRx Bridge fits into our standard G24 NVG mount and provides a solid mounting platform and several adjustment points for a precise fit. The SkeetIRx Bridge also allows the operator to flip up the thermal/NVG flat against the helmet when not being used and can be switched between the different mounting options without the need of special tools or having to take the mount off the helmet.
[empahsis added]

~Augee

I calle wilcox because I wondered a the same thing.
There is another one coming that will allow 2 14s to be put together.
This mount allows one 14 and one other device as it was explained to me.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 3:23:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Man, you guys must have some beefy necks! That NSW looks massive.

I went the maxpedition volta route. http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/Volta-Battery-Case-p581.htm
I used adhesive marine grade velcro and hand stitched the perimeter of the velcro to the molle webbing on the maxpedition. I couldn't imagine running full mags on my head, and I'm built like a pack mule - short and stout.
View Quote

While the size of the pouch might be a little bit larger - the "capacity" loadout of an MS2000 strobe, x2 AA batteries to power the strobe, 3x AAs in the pouch, 6x CR123s, and 3x AAAs as designed will weight roughly 12.5 oz. depending on what kind of batteries you're using - which comes to just a smidge over 3/4 lbs.  

A lot of the EOG counterweight pouches, which just use lead seem to max out at 1.5 lbs and going in 1.5 oz. increments - TNVC recommends using a single .5 lb weight for monoculars (MS2000 with batteries is around .33 lb) - two weights (1 lb) for BNVDs - and the ful 1.5 lb weight for AN/PVS-21s or other heavier NODs.  

PVS-14s on average seem to show a listed weight of around 13 oz. with battery - meaning that two monoculars and the MOD Armory mount combine to a 31.5 oz. binocular unit, while the N-Vision mount creates a 29.3 oz. unit.  

The AN/PVS-15 is listed as weighing between 22.9 to 25.6 oz., while TNVC lists the BNVD-G at 22.9 oz. and the Sentinel at 20.8 oz. (with dovetail).  

Finally, the AN/PVS-7 is listed at around 23.9 oz.

(Apparently what I really need to do is get a postal scale so I can just measure all of these things, rather than searching for listed weights )

What the point of collecting all that information was?  I don't really know.    

But it's food for thought - I guess the point was that while the NSW Helment Ballast might look big - as far as I can tell, it's not particularly heavy - even "loaded up" - compared to other commonly used counter weights, except the weight has some sort of utility besides "simply" being a counterweight.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:40:06 PM EDT
[#20]
I have the Mod Armory mount. It's really nice and works well, but it is super heavy. I'm sure it's just the nature of running dual 14's. I can wear my Anvis 9's all night no problem, but the dual 14's start to fee like a work out very quickly.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:56:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have the Mod Armory mount. It's really nice and works well, but it is super heavy. I'm sure it's just the nature of running dual 14's. I can wear my Anvis 9's all night no problem, but the dual 14's start to fee like a work out very quickly.

View Quote

What type of helmet do you have?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:02:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ops-core Base Jump:

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:16:48 PM EDT
[#23]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ops-core Base Jump:

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5611/15594537771_58964b91eb_c.jpg

Sweet setups!  Very jealous of your ANVIS9's!
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:30:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ops-core Base Jump:

Thanks! The Mod armory mount is real nice. I think you'll be happy with it. If it gets too heavy, you can always detach one of the monoculars.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:43:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Thanks! The Mod armory mount is real nice. I think you'll be happy with it. If it gets too heavy, you can always detach one of the monoculars.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ops-core Base Jump:

I really am looking forward to it.  I haven't actually used a bino setup before, just briefly held my second 14 up to my dominant eye while wearing my other 14.  I have a very strong 18" neck thanks to a decade of powerlifting and bodybuilding so hopefully I can handle the added weight!  I definitely like the versatility of the MOD unit, and it really is great that it can be switched to a single monocular setup without any hassle.  

I will be using the EOG low profile counterweight to help balance it out, what kind of  and how much counterweight are you using?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:04:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I really am looking forward to it.  I haven't actually used a bino setup before, just briefly held my second 14 up to my dominant eye while wearing my other 14.  I have a very strong 18" neck thanks to a decade of powerlifting and bodybuilding so hopefully I can handle the added weight!  I definitely like the versatility of the MOD unit, and it really is great that it can be switched to a single monocular setup without any hassle.  

I will be using the EOG low profile counterweight to help balance it out, what kind of  and how much counterweight are you using?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ops-core Base Jump:

I've experimented with a bunch of stuff. Still not sure what I prefer. I switch between the EOG Gen II NVG counterweight, EOG battery pouch, an external usb battery pack with Velcro stuck to it, and no counterweight at all. I've found that having a comfortable, proper fitting helmet seems to help a lot no matter what I use for a counterweight.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top