Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/6/2014 2:17:20 PM EDT
I live in the suburbs and have a postage stamp yard with lots of neighbors so am reliant on shooting ranges.

I would love to buy some NVG but none of the ranges near me allow night time shooting.

Where is everyone doing their night time shooting w/ NVG at?
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 2:24:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I farm, so I typically go out and shoot in my fields. How far do you live from a rural area? If it is not a terrible commute, I would drive around and ask local farmers if you could shoot on their property. The best way to get permission would be to start predator hunting. Farmers love coyote hunters.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 2:28:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 2:41:28 PM EDT
[#3]
My backyard is 2,400 acres starting at the backdoor, hogs and coyotes come to me and I use NV/Thermal to fend them off....
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 3:13:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My backyard is 2,400 acres starting at the backdoor, hogs and coyotes come to me and I use NV/Thermal to fend them off....
View Quote

Adopt me?
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 5:22:03 PM EDT
[#5]
im lucky enough to have this for a back yard

back in the hill for when I dont want anyone to hear the racket

right behind the garage where I do all the testing/workups

your best best like others have stated is to find a farmer in the area and ask if you can hunt coyotes.
There are some boondock area's in ohio too, also look on google maps for places around you that are rural far enough away so people wont hear you shooting
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 7:08:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 8:11:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a 25 yard range just across the driveway, and 300 yard hollow with a narrow cleared lane about 100 yards from the house, on the other side of a hill. Rural land is cheap

ETA: I still have 'neighbors' though (500+ yards away, couple hollows over), so suppressed subs is a good idea, lest we get a visit from the sheriff.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 8:14:30 PM EDT
[#8]
On a farm here also.  I try to keep a low profile on the shooting.  300 Blackout in the woods up to 150 yards is OK.  Anything louder is reserved for the occasional sight conformation or to dust a coyote.  I won't take the shot unless I'm sure it's safe and think one will do it.  Now it's about 30 minutes to state forest land.  There I can set up steel or paper and shoot just under 600 yards.  Occasionally I will take the back way in and drive with the pvs14.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 8:16:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Let your buddies with property or hunting leases know that you have NVD and are willing to share.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 9:25:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Make friends with a farmer.

I'm lucky to have lots of family land and lots more customers that I do pig eradication for.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:06:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Doesn't everyone have an underground shooting range beneath their homestead?  It gets plenty dark in such places when the artificial lights are switched off.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 11:39:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Doesn't everyone have an underground shooting range beneath their homestead?  It gets plenty dark in such places when the artificial lights are switched off.
View Quote

That reminds me, I need to get a lasermax uni for my 22LR
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 11:40:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s12.photobucket.com/user/xXLucidXx/media/image3-1_zps352c6a64.jpeg.html" target="_blank">http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a218/xXLucidXx/image3-1_zps352c6a64.jpeg</a>

<a href="http://s12.photobucket.com/user/xXLucidXx/media/photo-2_zpsab44e419.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a218/xXLucidXx/photo-2_zpsab44e419.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s12.photobucket.com/user/xXLucidXx/media/6_zps3ffda7d6.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a218/xXLucidXx/6_zps3ffda7d6.jpg</a>

your best best like others have stated is to find a farmer in the area and ask if you can hunt coyotes.
There are some boondock area's in ohio too, also look on google maps for places around you that are rural far enough away so people wont hear you shooting
View Quote

So...need any coyote control in this, the early deer/bow season? I figure if we make a team effort, it could be productive!
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 2:22:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Move out into the country and get some land, at least 20 acres.  More if you can swing it.  I can walk out the back door and shoot at a target 100 yards away off of the porch.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 2:46:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Move out into the country and get some land, at least 20 acres.  More if you can swing it.  I can walk out the back door and shoot at a target 100 yards away off of the porch.
View Quote

Ditto. Cup of coffee in the morning on my porch... with an AR or AK. Shoot in between sips as I watch Farm TV.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 10:58:28 AM EDT
[#16]
About 200 yards to the bottom of the field on the left of the pond.

I so want to let a few "IR" 7.62 rounds go out into this
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 11:16:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

So...need any coyote control in this, the early deer/bow season? I figure if we make a team effort, it could be productive!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<a href="http://s12.photobucket.com/user/xXLucidXx/media/image3-1_zps352c6a64.jpeg.html" target="_blank">http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a218/xXLucidXx/image3-1_zps352c6a64.jpeg</a>

<a href="http://s12.photobucket.com/user/xXLucidXx/media/photo-2_zpsab44e419.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a218/xXLucidXx/photo-2_zpsab44e419.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s12.photobucket.com/user/xXLucidXx/media/6_zps3ffda7d6.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a218/xXLucidXx/6_zps3ffda7d6.jpg</a>

Exactly how you do it. Look for farmers that have livestock as well. They always want the predators killed
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:19:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ehh, easier said than done. Will be hard to convince the wife to move to the country so i can shoot more haha

My parents have a beautiful 5 acre lot in the country, even have a 25 yard shooting range with a back stop, problem is they live 3 hours away and i only get to visit a few times a year, plus its usually the holidays with little kids running all over the place, not ideal to go out in the dark and start shooting stuff
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:30:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

absolutely, Its tough going at them by myself.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:40:20 AM EDT
[#20]
I think most people dropping $3K or more on good night optics, typically own a good chunk of land. I don't have either, but I know rural property is higher on my buying list than NVG's.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 2:15:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I think most people dropping $3K or more on good night optics, typically own a good chunk of land. I don't have either, but I know rural property is higher on my buying list than NVG's.
View Quote

I would love to toss a PVS-14 on my helmet but i just dont think i can justify the cost for the once or twice a year i would use it at my parents place. Guess i need to work on getting some land first
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 2:28:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Once I get the suppressed 22 done, whereever I want... nobody will see me or hear me.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 2:33:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Once I get the suppressed 22 done, whereever I want... nobody will see me or hear me.  
View Quote

Exactly, I got my first rimfire can and gen3 NV in 2006 so I've been able to shoot any night I want out at our place in the country.  No neighbors are disturbed
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 4:08:57 PM EDT
[#24]
My family owns a ranch in South Texas (RVG) that I hunt deer on. I always love going down there throughout the year and using my NVG.

I live in the Houston area and occasionally try and get a hook up close by so I don't have to drive as far just to use my toys.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:45:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Anything in green or brown, and about half of the land in white is good to go

And like many people, night vision is what is getting me into silencers.  Because telling everybody within 10 miles that I'm blasting shit at night seems like a not-so-great idea.

Edit:
Quoted:
I would love to toss a PVS-14 on my helmet but i just dont think i can justify the cost for the once or twice a year i would use it at my parents place. Guess i need to work on getting some land first
View Quote

I know it seems like a sacrilege around here to suggest such a thing, but just because you have night vision and it's dark, doesn't mean you have to shoot things

It's pretty nice for just going outside and looking.  I think I've gone night shooting less than five times in the year that I've had nvgs, but I use them for looking at least twice a week.
Probably going to go shooting more when I get my silencers though
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:10:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Ah man!  You gave away my secret spot.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:56:34 PM EDT
[#27]
150 yards out my backdoor last night:

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:24:55 AM EDT
[#29]

I think that hog has a hearing problem.
View Quote

What?

Unfortunately I haven't found anywhere that I can do this (large city in NC = lots of driving before I can find a place to plink at night). However I do go on the occasional hiking trip & break out my PVS 14 at night. So you can still have fun with NODs even without the use of gunpowder.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:23:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Ah man!  You gave away my secret spot.
View Quote

X2
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 5:47:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I think that hog has a hearing problem.
View All Quotes

Apparently so, he did not hear me coming either!
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:58:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Besides looking for a farm, look for a different range.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:09:57 PM EDT
[#33]
I'll lay out many nights just watching the stars and meteors. I don't know what it is, but I still "Ewww and Ahhh..." when I see various things shoot across the sky that generally aren't visible with the nekkid aye.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:36:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'll lay out many nights just watching the stars and meteors. I don't know what it is, but I still "Ewww and Ahhh..." when I see various things shoot across the sky that generally aren't visible with the nekkid aye.

View Quote

People have no idea how many shooting stars there really are until you spend some time watching the sky under NV.
I do a ton of it while sitting in a treestand when predaor hunting.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:52:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

People have no idea how many shooting stras there really are until you spend some time watching the sky under NV.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

People have no idea how many shooting stras there really are until you spend some time watching the sky under NV.

Every night is meteor night when your eyes are green

Except for the next six months, because it's going to be cloudy as hell.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:44:06 PM EDT
[#36]
According to the Google, which cannot lie:

"On any given day, the estimates are than the Earth intercepts about 19,000 meteorites weighing over 3.5 ounces, every year of which fewer than 10 are ever recovered. About 2800 meteorites are in museums from previous 'falls' and are chemically found to represent about 20 or so distinct parent-bodies. The Earth acquires about 100 tons per day of dust-sized micro- meteoroids."
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:01:02 PM EDT
[#37]
mental note need new enter button
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 4:29:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Rural land is not cheap in NorthEast GA.

Link Posted: 11/4/2014 10:02:20 AM EDT
[#39]
Problem is a lot of states don't allow night hunting or limit it to certain times of the year or certain species, and even when they do, many allow night hunting but not silencers.  Finding the perfect blend of shoot whatever you want whenever you want with NV AND suppressors is rare.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 10:13:47 AM EDT
[#40]
Amen to that cmantera.  If there's any advantage about the restrictions it's that it forces me to limit my NV spending on things I can use in my neck of the woods.   So I'm not using the money for NV rifle mounted systems for example in PA

Two simple questions for hunting in PA when using night vision or other technology.

1. Does it look like it would be fun to use the technology to hunt?   Yes/No
2. Has the technology been invented within the past 80 years?  Yes/No

If yes to one or both, you can't use it to hunt in PA

Sorry for the rant, they even have the wording so we can't use Particle beams to hunt in the far future here.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 11:28:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Dang that sucks. I guess we're some of the lucky ones here. We can use NV and suppressors to hunt hogs/varmints anytime. We can use suppressors for deer as well, but obviously not NV as that would be after legal deer hunting hours. It sure is fun sitting out in complete darkness calling in predators though! It's also fun stalking up to a sounder of pigs and opening fire!
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 11:56:41 AM EDT
[#42]
It sure looks like fun when I see the videos and hear the tales you guys tell of the night hunts.  You don't know how lucky you are to be able to use the new tech to hunt like that.  We're certainly envious when we see the kill shots and the gear you guys use on the forums to manage pest animals.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 12:19:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Cola Warrior
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 2:29:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Any where back here I want
" />
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 2:45:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ever see a UFO?   I hear with night vision you can spot them.  Well, that's what they say.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 3:22:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Ever see a UFO?   I hear with night vision you can spot them.  Well, that's what they say.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've seen some pretty strange things, honestly, but I usually don't remember much and my ass always hurts.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 2:51:15 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I've seen some pretty strange things, honestly, but I usually don't remember much and my ass always hurts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wanna go camping?
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 10:52:38 AM EDT
[#48]
View Quote

Wanna go camping?
View Quote

*snort* LOL
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top