Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2014 4:15:53 PM EDT
I've been looking for a good way to use my phone and other LCD devices (digital camera etc.) without blooming out my night vision or drawing unwanted attention to myself when I'm hunting. While browsing Edmunds Optics' website looking for beam splitters for my DIY MHRS project, I stumbled upon these Optical Cast IR filters. http://www.edmundoptics.com/optics/optical-filters/longpass-edge-filters/optical-cast-infrared-ir-longpass-filters/1918

I ordered a couple of the 5x7" version and plan to cut them up and figure out a way to attach them to my phone and digital camera. I'm sure there's probably a cheaper place to get these, but this is the first place I've seen them.

Here's a quick test I did today when they came in:

Now I can make waiver wire pickups for my fantasy football team without alerting the hogs Also helpful for people using FLIR One cases and other phone-based thermal devices.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:22:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Nifty think I'll pick one up
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:43:09 PM EDT
[#2]
That's pretty cool.... lots of possibilities.

I wonder how much it would "tone down" IR lasers.... or red dot sights that won't get dim enough....
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:44:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you for that info.

I have a FLIR M-324XP Pan/Tilt marine yacht thermal in my UTV with a 7" LCD screen in the cockpit and will check this out....

Interesting that it states you need a carbide drill bit to drill holes in this special plastic?

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:56:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thank you for that info.

I have a FLIR M-324XP Pan/Tilt marine yacht thermal in my UTV with a 7" LCD screen in the cockpit and will check this out....

Interesting that it states you need a carbide drill bit to drill holes in this special plastic?
View Quote

No problem! I think I got the idea from your post about using a 720nm filter on the PVS-14 objective.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:01:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thank you for that info.

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/Pioneer%20700/Finished%20FLIR%20Install/Hondini%20FLIR%20Finished.jpg

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/Pioneer%20700/FLIR%20M%20Series/FLIR%20M324%20Monitor.jpg

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/Pioneer%20700/FLIR%20M%20Series/Coyote%20On%20Truck.jpg
View Quote

Some plastics don't cut well at lower speeds with HSS, so carbide is a better bet. However, for guys like us that are not doing anything in a production run, I would guess you could use regular old HSS tooling, it will just need sharpened when you are done.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:16:18 PM EDT
[#6]
How do you plan to mount it so that you'll still be able to use the devise. Do you plan on using some space so your fingers can get under it?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:18:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, I obviously didn't think this thing all the way through. The plastic is too thick to work with a touchscreen. Complete use of my phone without a workaround is probably out of the question. I wonder how well Siri can understand whispering

Maybe I will attach the filter to a box or a pouch that is big enough to fit my hand, and then use it as a window to see whatever device is inside.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:22:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

No problem! I think I got the idea from your post about using a 720nm filter on the PVS-14 objective.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thank you for that info.

haha!
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:38:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm not sure if this is the same stuff but if it is then it's considerably less expensive here http://www.eplastics.com/Plexiglass_Acrylic_Sheet_Infrared_Transmitting
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:59:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm not sure if this is the same stuff but if it is then it's considerably less expensive here http://www.eplastics.com/Plexiglass_Acrylic_Sheet_Infrared_Transmitting
View Quote

Awesome! Thanks for this!
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:46:00 AM EDT
[#11]
I was looking for something like this for my garmin screen, might try to stick it on with velcro, or a dab of spray foam as adhesive and buffer.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:59:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Very nice piece of gear, I would have loved to have this for BFT...
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:11:26 AM EDT
[#13]
We need a type of moldable kydex style to mold and snap onto stuff.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:04:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've been looking for a good way to use my phone and other LCD devices (digital camera etc.) without blooming out my night vision or drawing unwanted attention to myself when I'm hunting. While browsing Edmunds Optics' website looking for beam splitters for my DIY MHRS project, I stumbled upon these Optical Cast IR filters. http://www.edmundoptics.com/optics/optical-filters/longpass-edge-filters/optical-cast-infrared-ir-longpass-filters/1918

I ordered a couple of the 5x7" version and plan to cut them up and figure out a way to attach them to my phone and digital camera. I'm sure there's probably a cheaper place to get these, but this is the first place I've seen them.

Here's a quick test I did today when they came in:
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3931/15227015630_6a0f2fa6be_c.jpg
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3930/15227155997_8f59215ffa_c.jpg

Now I can make waiver wire pickups for my fantasy football team without alerting the hogs Also helpful for people using FLIR One cases and other phone-based thermal devices.
View Quote

Please start a new thread with about your DIY MHRS project.  I am all ears.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:43:20 AM EDT
[#15]
For android devices there are several apps available that will dim the screen well below the normal range. For example "screen filter" by quantitative labs, will make the screen so dark that you almost cannot see it in a darkened room.

Another filter app allows you to tint the color of your display. Color screen filter by knatech, allows you to add or remove red, green and blue tint to your display.

both applications can be run simultaneously.  a combo of red filter and reduced brightness from the two apps works very well.

there are literally dozens of other apps out there to experiment with.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:51:07 AM EDT
[#16]
We need a thread dedicated to hunting UTVs and their mods for hunting with NV.

Skypup......we will follow your lead.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:18:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Mounting that kind of gear into a UTV takes allot of careful planning and judging as there is limited space, electrical amperage requirements, aux battery install, vibrations, and allot of custom one off innovations, you don't just hire someone to install something like that into a UTV, I would charge a $2,000 fee for the work I did putting my gear in my Honda Pioneer 700!

I decided NOT to install the mobile wireless WiFi setup and went with the Ethernet cable to CPU setup to decrease the complexity and susceptibility to water intrusion in my setup, everything is IP67 waterproof, not just water resistant, and I simply spray all the dust and mud off everything with a hose all the time, not a problem....WiFi would have been nice to broadcast to my I-Phone or I-Pad, but too much to go wrong at night out in the woods all the time....
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:32:20 AM EDT
[#18]
OP, do you by chance have access to a regular red laser like from Crimson Trace?  

I'd be very interested to see what this filter did to the beam.... both with and without NV.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:04:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Haha okay. It sounds a lot more impressive than it really is. I made a couple posts about it in CJ7Hawk's NV Camera Adapter thread: https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_18/431959_A_quick_NV_adapter_for_a_Canon_DSLR_camera___.html  Might as well stop hijacking and start a new thread.

Quoted:
OP, do you by chance have access to a regular red laser like from Crimson Trace?  

I'd be very interested to see what this filter did to the beam.... both with and without NV.

I don't have a red aiming laser, but I have a red laser bore sight. Not sure if this would be relevant to you but I also have a DBAL I2 with a visible green laser I could try. Also have a couple neutral density filters to throw in the mix. Let me know if you're interested and I will try to do some comparisons.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:17:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Has anyone tied using dark window tint material? It might have possibilities?
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:04:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I don't have a red aiming laser, but I have a red laser bore sight. Not sure if this would be relevant to you but I also have a DBAL I2 with a visible green laser I could try. Also have a couple neutral density filters to throw in the mix. Let me know if you're interested and I will try to do some comparisons.
View Quote

That would be awesome, thanks.  I'm sure the red laser in your boresighter is more than adequate.  I have a couple of obscure CT lasergrips that are never going to have the IR equivalent made... I'm looking for an easy alternative to swapping laser diodes that doesn't involve me burning myself with a soldering iron.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 2:17:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That would be awesome, thanks.  I'm sure the red laser in your boresighter is more than adequate.  I have a couple of obscure CT lasergrips that are never going to have the IR equivalent made... I'm looking for an easy alternative to swapping laser diodes that doesn't involve me burning myself with a soldering iron.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not an expert on the matter so I should probably just shut up, but knowing that lasers are monochromatic a filter will only dim or block it, so it will either become so dim that it's invisible to everything, barely visible to eyes and just right for NV, or visible to eyes and too bright for NV. If only would someone invent a filter that actually offsets the spectrum to whatever direction would be the most awesome invention for long time.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 2:54:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I'm not an expert on the matter so I should probably just shut up, but knowing that lasers are monochromatic a filter will only dim or block it, so it will either become so dim that it's invisible to everything, barely visible to eyes and just right for NV, or visible to eyes and too bright for NV.
View Quote

That's the one I'm hoping for.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:57:40 PM EDT
[#24]
im going to guess, based on my own experiments, the long pass filter will completely block the red laser. the green laser from the dbal may actually still show up through the filter under nv, because the dpss green is actually an ir laser to begin with amd some of the ir is still present in the beam.

if you want to tame a red laser use a little bit of film negative.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:44:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 10:13:39 AM EDT
[#26]
I wanted to bump this back up and see if anyone has any more input...
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 12:43:38 PM EDT
[#27]
since op is using an apple product

stick on privacy filters like these reduce visability of the screen from any direction other than straight on viewing, and still allow touch input.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004W2T332/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/187-5696662-2986830

combined with an app to reduce brightness well below normal usuability, and or add a more night vision friendly tint.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dimmer/id446306807?mt=8

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 12:46:12 PM EDT
[#28]
this might help too

http://dimmy.net/main/

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 11:51:28 PM EDT
[#29]
I just bought two sheets and will update with my results.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:10:58 AM EDT
[#30]
very interesting!
tag for internet search later..
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 10:17:41 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View Quote
Have you had a chance to tinker with this stuff yet?

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 1:23:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No but it should be this week sometime. The video,review should be pretty awesome.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 1:29:53 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
No but it should be this week sometime. The video,review should be pretty awesome.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sweet, I subbed this thread a while back, can't wait to see the results.

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:52:54 AM EDT
[#34]
If you want a good diy project for an IR laser pointer read this post. Did it and it works well.
IR Laser
More recent info here

As for using a screen in a dark environment you might try a red jell filter (plastic) check some of the photography equipment sites.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:00:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

As for using a screen in a dark environment you might try a red jell filter (plastic) check some of the photography equipment sites.
View Quote

Murderman has done this on his M24 and it works fantastically.  Green filter though.  I'm going to do the same thing on my RS64 after getting to fool around with his M24.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top