Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/25/2014 9:10:59 PM EDT
Howdy yall, wanting to get a set of PVS14's and want to use a helmet instead of the supplied strapped head mount. Thing is I dont want to spend a grand.
I dont really care about ballistic protection (would be nice but is expensive)
I dont mind buying parts building them up either.
I just want a decent (low) priced helmet that can stand a lot of NVG use.
Oh yeah none of teh regular size army helmets I wore those enough already
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 9:19:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Check out TNVC, they have several different ones.  The cheapest you'll find is the Pro-Tec

Edit: If your willing to spend a bit more, the Team Wendy Exfil LTP Bump is probably the best option for the money.  I have one and it's very comfortable.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 9:22:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Crye NightCap is both lighter and more comfortable than the ProTec. It's a little more $$$, but worth the few extra clams. That, and you can stuff it in your pocket when not in use.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 10:30:14 PM EDT
[#3]
A lot of people on the cheap go with a skate-board helmet plus cheap used flip up mount from Ebay (you can score a horn style TATM plus shroud for 150 on ebay). Just need to add the PVS14 swing arm mount (pretty cheap)...
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 10:36:14 PM EDT
[#4]
The Team Wendy is 10x more comfortable than the Protech.  Also the shroud on the Team Wendy is a lot more solid and secure than the Ops Core VAS on the Protech.   I bought the Protech as my starter and quickly upgraded.  You can save the money by skipping the first step brother.

Protech $79 + Vas Shroud $59 ($138)
http://tnvc.com/shop/pro-tec-bravo-half-shell-helmet/
http://tnvc.com/shop/ops-core-vas-shroud/

Team Wendy LTP $279 with shroud included
http://tnvc.com/shop/team-wendy-exfil-ltp-bump-helmet/

What mount are you using?  Rhino?  Used Rhinos can be had for $30 on the EE here.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 10:57:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Here is what i did. I have $35-40 in to it. Including mounts. I already had velcro and bungee cord, and paint. It works fine, but it could use a chin strap system, and a counter-weight.

Prior to this i have a cvc helmet that i did a sohah conversion on and it way too heavy.

Quoted:
I wanted a Team Wendy Exfil, but couldn't justify spending that much, since I likely won't use it a whole lot. I think I have a total of $35-$40 invested in this rig and it serves my purposes fine.

Rhino mount with plate was $25.
Nearly New Protec Ace was $10.
I had the coyote Alumahyde II paint, and I had the bungee and marine grade velcro already so they were free.

http://www.ifshtf.com/pic/nvg/protec2.png
http://www.ifshtf.com/pic/nvg/protec3.png
http://www.ifshtf.com/pic/nvg/protec4.png

I cut the bottom portion of the Mounting plate off the mount, since it was designed for a thick ballistic helmet. I just needed the portion that pushes against the helmet, anyhow. I was debating on a shroud type mount, but this came free with the rhino arm, so free won. It is 100% rock solid and quite comfy. The only thing I might change is the chinstrap.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 12:59:45 AM EDT
[#6]
I also recommend the team wendy helmet first. But if I was looking at the pro-tech, I'd also look into the tac pro gear helmet. It looks just like the ops-core helmet but has a removable night vision shroud. The price on it was $125.00 and there are some youtube video's on it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 3:10:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Cheap ?? PT helmets or the Nightcap. I love my Nightcap as I don't need any noggin protection and the nightcap is comfy and cool on those hot summer nights. Did I say I love my Nightcap ? I did...

You need to buy a shroud as the Nightcap does not come with one. PT Alpha helmets are OK and cheap. Not terribly comfy but they are cheap. As some have already said comfort on your head is not where you want to go cheap. Buy once and get it right the first time. The Team Wendy helmets are top notch. OpsCore is nice also.

I don't need a helmet and don't really like wearing them so I use the Nightcap mostly.

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 4:00:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cheap ?? PT helmets or the Nightcap. I love my Nightcap as I don't need any noggin protection and the nightcap is comfy and cool on those hot summer nights. Did I say I love my Nightcap ? I did...

You need to buy a shroud as the Nightcap does not come with one. PT Alpha helmets are OK and cheap. Not terribly comfy but they are cheap. As some have already said comfort on your head is not where you want to go cheap. Buy once and get it right the first time. The Team Wendy helmets are top notch. OpsCore is nice also.

I don't need a helmet and don't really like wearing them so I use the Nightcap mostly.

View Quote

I second this, the Nightcap is super comfortable and sits surprisingly solid on your head, doesn't wobble around.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 10:14:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 12:15:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

All joking aside, What's a shroud?  What other parts are needed to mount a pvs14 to the nightcap?

I think I answered my own question.  The TNVC Full kit (Entire Weapon Kit + Standard Issue ACH/MICH Shroud w/ Ratchet Strap, USGI Rhino Mount Arm)  Is everything that's needed to mount to a helmet, correct?
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 1:46:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

All joking aside, What's a shroud?  What other parts are needed to mount a pvs14 to the nightcap?

I think I answered my own question.  The TNVC Full kit (Entire Weapon Kit + Standard Issue ACH/MICH Shroud w/ Ratchet Strap, USGI Rhino Mount Arm)  Is everything that's needed to mount to a helmet, correct?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is a Shroud. There are several shrouds on the TNVC website. Helmets like the Opscore and Team Wendy have a shroud integrated into the helmet so you don't need one. The nightcap is set up for a shroud but sold separate. I like the three hole shroud as I feel it is more solid. That is it. Pick the kind of mount you like and a shroud.

I am not up on ALL of the mounts and shrouds as there are MANY. Call TNVC and they will help you pick out the combination best suited to you. Everybody seems to have a favorite they like best. Some mounts defeat wobble and others are lighter and the list goes on and on forever. I could tell you what I use and like but that might not be what you like or need. Best to gather lots of info and a call to TNVC will help a lot IMHO. Their advice is free whether you buy from them or not.

Last thing you want is a 400 dollar mount that does not work for you. Do lots of research. Also read Murdemans night vision helmet rigs thread here. Tons of great information of what others use and like. I just bumped it to the first page for you.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 3:06:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Thank you.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 4:57:22 PM EDT
[#13]
OP, since Dino mentioned my name and it is Friday so I got off work a little early, I thought that I might chime in....hopefully productively for a change.  

After quite a bit of time, effort, and expense over the past several years, I am staring at six helmets, a NightCap, seven different mounts, a few different shrouds, a few "arms", etc., and have tried all of them personally in various combinations with the distinct exception of my wife's itty-bitty OpsCore helmet that would sit on top of my head rather than around it.  

The executive summary for your application is this:

-A properly fitting helmet is essential to comfort, and comfort is essential to success.  We are all very fortunate in that these days there are some superb off-the-shelf options available for a reasonable price versus the days when one had to do a fair bit of personal customization for a proper fit....and would probably spend just as much after all of the modifications, not counting one's time and effort.

-I run OpsCore bumps because I often run OTH comms headsets [between the suspension and the shell], and no one yet has demonstrated an effective means by which to obtain comparable compatibility with the TW offerings to the best of my knowledge.  That said, the vast majority of folks do not run my configuration, and the TW seems to be a slightly more refined product excepting that consideration.

-Going down the "skateboard" path which many of us were forced to do in the past due to lack of availability of better alternatives, regardless of perceived low price, is wasted money these days.

-The slightly more refined PT options do not offer the adjustability, and therefore the associated comfort necessary for prolonged continuous utilization.  They are also not a whole lot less expensive when the shroud is considered.

-The TW seems to be the state-of-the-art for "value", i.e. all of the beneficial features at a reasonable price.  There is very minimal negative feedback from users, and one does not hardly see any in the used  market.  The OpsCore is also a great option at a slightly reduced cost.  Folks contend that the integral shroud is less robust, and there is probably some theoretical merit behind that, but I haven't had any problems with the three that we own.  Neither my wife nor I is HSLD though.

On the mounts front, the obvious choice for the most cost effective solution is the "legacy" USGI rhino and J-arm.  They have always worked just fine for me, and I have all of the high dollar "Gucci" mounts sitting in front of me whenever I want to use any them.

The evolution from the .mil perspective is the Norotos "Rhino II" and the Wilcox G11.  They are fairly reasonably priced at $200+ retail, and are a significant improvement, particularly due to the available height adjustment.  There are some really low priced RIIs on eGay, but the sources are grey.

In a nutshell, for a little over $300 you can get a TW, a legacy rhino, and a USGI J-arm if you don't already have one, and you will be plenty good to go.  Should you choose to "upgrade" any of the components in the future, it will be the ones that cost $20-30 to start with; you don't hear of many folks "upgrading" their TWs or complaining about fitment.  For about $200, you can get a NightCap, shroud [I recommend the Wilcox 3-hole], and legacy rhino.  While the NC is really nice, i don't find it quite as stable as a helmet, and I am getting pretty clumsy in my old age, so bump protection isn't necessarily a bad thing....I've fallen, and I can't get up.  

In any configuration, don't forget your dummy cord.  A short piece of 550 and some form of clip might cost you $2-3, but could save a device costing 1,000 times that much from damage.  

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 8:38:24 PM EDT
[#14]
I highly recommend the TW LTP

Has the machined interface for the mount, TNVC carries them
But if you plan on going to knob creek again this year mod armory always has them at the booth as well as others you can try one on.

ETA: I also picked up a used rhino mount for $25 at the April shoot for my budget minded pvs14 setup. Lots of good surplus nvg stuff at the shoot.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 9:02:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanx for the tips guys, especially the Knob Creek info. I will indeed be there
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:06:41 AM EDT
[#16]
For anyone who has used both, is the TW that much more comfy over the PT? I have the PT Bravo and was already thinking of upgrading to the TW but its 3X the cost of the PT. Honestly my converted Bell skateboard helmet is more comfy then the PT....
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 12:24:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I also recommend the team wendy helmet first. But if I was looking at the pro-tech, I'd also look into the tac pro gear helmet. It looks just like the ops-core helmet but has a removable night vision shroud. The price on it was $125.00 and there are some youtube video's on it.
View Quote

Where can I find a tacprogear bump helmet for $125.  Could you send me the link?

Thanks,
Rob
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:03:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Slydog68, optics planet had them listed for 150.00 and now has them listed for 125.00. Personally I have no experience with them, but I have found out that the ops-core helmet covers and such will fit on it. I've been thinking about picking one up myself because my sisters son-in-law recently got out of the Marines. He found out I had a couple of 14's and wants to go light'em up.
   I Would like to here from someone who has used one. They seem to have been built with night vision use in mind. I have seen video's by tactiholics that make's me think there above air-soft quality bump helmets. Also you can see them listed on tacprogear web site. Hopefully that helps someone looking in the right direction for a good bump helmet.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 6:16:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
For anyone who has used both, is the TW that much more comfy over the PT? I have the PT Bravo and was already thinking of upgrading to the TW but its 3X the cost of the PT. Honestly my converted Bell skateboard helmet is more comfy then the PT....
View Quote

Absolutely yes - worth every penny.  I started with the PT Alpha.  Upgraded to a Ops Core that was much more comfortable but didn't have a solid shroud arrangement (although just as solid as the PT).  Then switched to a Team Wendy LTP that is the most comfortable of all and has solid shroud lockup.  I still have the PT as a loaner but it never goes on my head anymore.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:53:19 PM EDT
[#20]
I put the ops core as about as comfortable as my hard hat at work. After about an hour, I do get a slight head ache. I am curious to see how much more comfortable the tw is.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 7:14:57 AM EDT
[#21]
+1 on the Nightcap. I love mine. If you need a helmet, go TW. The OC Base is decently comfortable, but their customer service screwed over a guy (just browse this forum) and it looks like they're having some durability problems with their built-in shroud.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 9:00:28 AM EDT
[#22]
It looks like the price for the tacprogear helmet is back up to $150 at optics planet.  A friend of mine has one and says it's very comfortable
and configurable.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 9:57:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Thanks TDunn, I foresee Vic getting some more of my money very soon. I keep hearing good things on the Night Cap as well, any comments on long term comfort and stability?
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 2:47:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Thanks TDunn, I foresee Vic getting some more of my money very soon. I keep hearing good things on the Night Cap as well, any comments on long term comfort and stability?
View Quote

As my addiction would have it, I have a Night Cap too.    I find it very comfortable but not as stable or steady over time as a helmet like the TW.  I use the Night Cap mostly when traveling so that I can keep my gear with me without having the bulk of carrying a helmet.  So for me, each one is situational in use.  The PT is the only one that doesn't get much time any more.    Hit me IM with address and I'd be happy to loan the PT to you for check out if you like.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 4:41:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Can somebody that has tried tw, oc and pt please rate in order from rigid to flimsy?  I've only tried pt and it is super flimsy.  Feels like it can bend in half.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 8:24:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Can somebody that has tried tw, oc and pt please rate in order from rigid to flimsy?  I've only tried pt and it is super flimsy.  Feels like it can bend in half.
View Quote

I own all 3.  PT is much thinner and flexible material.  Team Wendy LTP (polymer) and Ops Core Bump (polymer) are much tougher and do not flex.  In flex, I'd call them equal which is to say none.   The carbon fiber versions and ballistic ones obviously don't flex either.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 8:25:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have worn my nightcap for a couple hours at a time without an issue. I wish I could compare it to a TW for you, but alas, I can't just yet. I would say my comfort level in the nightcap is better than my OC Base, but part of that is heat. The Hard helmet is a sturdier patform, but the nightcap, once adjusted properly, isn't that far behind. For the low price, it's a no-brainer to have around.

I still think one should own both though (a nightcap and a good helmet)
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 10:45:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I own all 3.  PT is much thinner and flexible material.  Team Wendy LTP (polymer) and Ops Core Bump (polymer) are much tougher and do not flex.  In flex, I'd call them equal which is to say none.   The carbon fiber versions and ballistic ones obviously don't flex either.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 10:52:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Pro Tech Bravo w/ surplus old school RINO.  I have tried better helmets and they are nicer, but not at the price point.  You can get a ACH pad set and play with it and get something much more comfy.  I would also look at the night cap.  I'm putting together a ballistic helmet, but will get a night cap as a creeping through the woods option.

Video showing some different rigs

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 10:59:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Get the team Wendy.   Hats can give me a headache.    I love that thing.   I was wearing it around the house to build up my neck muscles until my wife made me take it off.   She said I look like a dork in it.   Maybe so but its comfy and the pigs don't complain.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:53:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Thanks for the offer TDunn, I may take you up on that offer. Seams like the TW is where its at but can't hurt to try the PT first. I'm definitely going to pick up a night cap. From what I've heard here its a no brained for $100 and the ability to toss in my bag and go.

As a side note, what about starting a borrowing program to let folks try before they buy? I could have used that very recently. It would obviously need to be done with trust worthy members otherwise it could go up in flames.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:59:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Thanks for the offer TDunn, I may take you up on that offer. Seams like the TW is where its at but can't hurt to try the PT first. I'm definitely going to pick up a night cap. From what I've heard here its a no brained for $100 and the ability to toss in my bag and go.

As a side note, what about starting a borrowing program to let folks try before they buy? I could have used that very recently. It would obviously need to be done with trust worthy members otherwise it could go up in flames.
View Quote

That "program" already exists.    I have both loaned and borrowed on multiple occasions with several different folks.  As you allude, establishing mutual trust is the essential element.

As far as the PT alpha, it was a real disappointment to me, but fit is highly individualized and it simply didn't fit MY head very well.  At least I was able to use the VAS shroud on my MICH.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:15:49 PM EDT
[#33]
So how do I get accepted into the fold? I have a few things I can loan out myself.

DWC
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:18:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

That "program" already exists.    I have both loaned and borrowed on multiple occasions with several different folks.  As you allude, establishing mutual trust is the essential element.

As far as the PT alpha, it was a real disappointment to me, but fit is highly individualized and it simply didn't fit MY head very well.  At least I was able to use the VAS shroud on my MICH.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't like the PT fit initially either, but got a couple of MICH pads and played with it till I liked it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:33:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I didn't like the PT fit initially either, but got a couple of MICH pads and played with it till I liked it.
View Quote

That is precisely how I got my skateboard rig to fit well, long before the PT alpha was even available.

The OC came along not too long afterwards, and the dial suspension is substantially analogous to the MSA hardhats that I have been wearing at work for a couple of decades, so I gave it a try.  The adjustability was so much better that I simply abandoned the PT since it was no longer worth putting the effort into.

Now the TW is available, and it seems even more "refined" than the OC.  The problem for me is that it doesn't work with my OTH comms headsets.  Considering that we are suppressed when at the range, I may end up getting a TW for that application, but will still use the OC when out and about in the field and the comms is about comms rather than just earpro.  Folks might suggest swapping the OTH for swing ups, but I don't always use the headsets with a helmet, i.e during the day, with a Nightcap, or inside GA aircraft.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:06:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

That is precisely how I got my skateboard rig to fit well, long before the PT alpha was even available.

The OC came along not too long afterwards, and the dial suspension is substantially analogous to the MSA hardhats that I have been wearing at work for a couple of decades, so I gave it a try.  The adjustability was so much better that I simply abandoned the PT since it was no longer worth putting the effort into.

Now the TW is available, and it seems even more "refined" than the OC.  The problem for me is that it doesn't work with my OTH comms headsets.  Considering that we are suppressed when at the range, I may end up getting a TW for that application, but will still use the OC when out and about in the field and the comms is about comms rather than just earpro.  Folks might suggest swapping the OTH for swing ups, but I don't always use the headsets with a helmet, i.e during the day, with a Nightcap, or inside GA aircraft.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do like that I can use my $40 Howard Leights with my nightcap. Not sure how I'm going to afford comms with the TW when I get around to ordering it. Everything I see is more expensive than the helmet itself.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:14:06 AM EDT
[#37]
I've got a PT Alpha that used to have a VAS shroud on it (cannibalized onto a Night Cap).  I am pretty sure it is a L/XL.  But no shroud on it now.  I've also got an OpsCore Fast Base in L/XL with a chipped shroud.  It still holds a Rhino mount though, but I'd reinforce it or grind the entire plastic shroud off and screw another one in before really using it hard.  

Thank being said, if anyone want to borrow either for testing, send me a PM.  Hell, if anyone want to pay for shipping on the PT, they can keep it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:38:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I've got a PT Alpha that used to have a VAS shroud on it (cannibalized onto a Night Cap).  I am pretty sure it is a L/XL.  But no shroud on it now.  I've also got an OpsCore Fast Base in L/XL with a chipped shroud.  It still holds a Rhino mount though, but I'd reinforce it or grind the entire plastic shroud off and screw another one in before really using it hard.  

Thank being said, if anyone want to borrow either for testing, send me a PM.  Hell, if anyone want to pay for shipping on the PT, they can keep it.
View Quote

Nice pay it forward!  
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:17:49 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Nice pay it forward!  
View Quote

Kinda what I was thinking.  I've gotten a lot of valuable advice on this forum.  Some I followed and didn't regret.  Some I didn't follow and, for the most part, regretted.  So, I figure that mailing off a helmet for someone to try out is the least I could do.  DevilWillCry got a PM to me first with GMC454 in second.  Assuming I remember to bring it back from the farm AND that I can find it.....
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:18:06 AM EDT
[#40]
Thanks ncorry,I'm glad it found a good home. I'd rather see it go to someone who needs it than just as a loner. Glad to see there are great people in this forum who do this.I owe Murderman a big Thankyou too for giving me the correct Allen Key to adjust my focus on my pvs-14 build. Also want to thank others who helped me in one way or another Dino 1130, Echo2 and Terry1. I wouldn't be as far along in this night vision adventure if it wasn't for them. Take care and wishing you all a Great Day!
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:48:11 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've got a Night Cap and love it.  I wear it w/ a PVS-14 and counterweight for a couple hours at night two or three times a week and have not gotten uncomfortable yet.  I took a piece of flexible padding from my original NV helmet and used it to supplement the forehead padding a week or so after getting it.  It was fine as it came BUT the extra padding made it even more comfortable.  I also placed some padding underneath the weights in the counterweight pouch.  I also added a Princeton Tec switch MPLS to the top which works great since the flexible boom can get around the shroud/mount and allow you to put light right where you want it.  I haven't worn my helmet since getting my Night Cap set up, it's that good.  Can't beat the portability either, I can get my PVS-14, 3x magnifier and pouch, and the Night Cap w/ counterweight/mount attached all inside the ITT carry bag.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 4:58:37 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Kinda what I was thinking.  I've gotten a lot of valuable advice on this forum.  Some I followed and didn't regret.  Some I didn't follow and, for the most part, regretted.  So, I figure that mailing off a helmet for someone to try out is the least I could do.  DevilWillCry got a PM to me first with GMC454 in second.  Assuming I remember to bring it back from the farm AND that I can find it.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice pay it forward!  

I'm bowing out on the request. I wasn't thinking, and got posts confused and thought it was a Ops core. I have a PT Bravo which can't be that different then the Alpha model. GMC454 should have first crack at it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 11:57:05 PM EDT
[#43]
I received the pt alpha bump helmet today. It was in like new condition and came with extra pads, both picatiny rails and bungee cords, and a rhino mount! I haven't had a chance to mount a shroud and run it yet  due to company and football games but it seems like it will work great for my intended purpose. All I can say is ncorry deserves a big from me. Thankyou Man!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top