Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 12:23:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Any updates? I'm still hoping to see screenshots showing hogs @ 100 yards or more.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 11:30:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any updates? I'm still hoping to see screenshots showing hogs @ 100 yards or more.
View Quote

This, preferably from the XR.  There just isn't much XR footage out there.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 10:07:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

That's a good question. I was wondering the same thing in terms of detection for coyotes and deer out to 100 yards give or take. I really like the compact design of it as well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That YouTube video may have just convinced me to get the seek XR. I've been waiting for some videos and/or reviews to pop up. From what I see for the money, it's a worthy little thermal imager at a pretty impressive price. It puts my flir one to shame in terms of pure darkness usefulness and image quality!

Me too. Wondering if you'd be able to detect a coyote 100-200yds out. I don't need to ID between different game because it's just me and the coyotes.

That's a good question. I was wondering the same thing in terms of detection for coyotes and deer out to 100 yards give or take. I really like the compact design of it as well.

I EASILY detected five deer moving in to my property from 300 yards away this evening using my newly arrived XR......awesome awesome imager!  Once they closed to around 100 yds they were easily ID'd by their outline and gait.

As soon as my screenshots are up on photobucket will post them.  Here is the vid I took of them.  First part they are roughly 30-40 yds out then at the end about 125....someone feel free to embed this for me since I suck at the internet.....

seek thermal xr deer at 40-120 yds

This screenshot is from about 150 away.....had the filter set at 72 degrees hence the yellow color.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 7:34:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Very nice and useable!
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 11:27:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Very nice and useable!
View Quote

I agree.  Many thanks molardog!
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 3:27:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 9:34:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Very nice and useable!
View Quote

Never been one of those who like to use the term " for the money".....but in this case it is true.  Insanely fun little device.

Just waiting on my amazon fire stick to show up now so I can mirror my phone screen to my living room TV.  Front yard surveillance ftw!

May even set me up a bait pile in the yard for 'yotes to be ambushed.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 10:16:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Question

Is Seek better or FlirOne for a guy inspecting houses?

Got a buddy who is looking to get one for his new business
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 8:34:55 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Question

View Quote
WAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYY better.......

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 9:40:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Home Depot was selling the regular Seek for $199 the other day when I was in there.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 4:49:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Here is the vid I took of them.  First part they are roughly 30-40 yds out then at the end about 125....someone feel free to embed this for me since I suck at the internet.....

seek thermal xr deer at 40-120 yds
View Quote

Thanks for the video.  Please for the love of god turn your phone sideways next time you record.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 8:53:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Question

Which model of Thermal Seek?
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 11:01:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Question

Non XR version.  He'll want the wider angle of the non XR version.  The XR is too zoomed in for indoor use...IMO.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:34:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Been reading about these tonight, when my wallet recovers I'm probably going to give one of these a try.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 7:53:55 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm new to the forums and bought a Seek Thermal XR for IOS about a month ago. I wanted to throw some feedback in the ring for those considering one based on my experiences. I bought one for home and hunting uses around the house it's not bad if a bit zoomed in. Outside where my true interest for this fell I was mixed almost every time I used it. The first thing everyone should now about these is that you need to let these warm up and calibrate themselves. Per Seek it can take 5-7 min for it to settle in before each device is working optimally. By optimally they say they have a margin of error of 5 degrees and I can confirm this as I ordered a second one and used on another IOS device and it consistently register 2 or 3 degrees hotter across the board. Now given certain circumstances it seemed to work well and others not so much. Where it seems to struggle has to do with the ambient temps, here in South Carolina it's warm a fair bit and in this first picture from my backyard I tried to find my dog taking a leak while it was like 78 outside at approx 40ft. This is the best the Seek could come up with because the thermal signature of my dog only registers in the low 80's the temp differential between ambient and the subject is quite close. The distance isn't all that far either.

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 7:55:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Part2

Here is one where the temps outside are closer to 62 and I was in a large field probably over 200 yards away with a hunting buddy of mine. With some tweaking on the focus this is what I'd see.

Fairly usable but I can tell you from experience on that same evening that even at sub 30yd range the same unit could not see turkey or other large birds in the trees at the same temps no matter how I focused it. It also seemed to be picky on whether the subject was broadside or bladed to you quite more than I thought. This was probably one of the best distant heat sigs I got the whole time I used it, many times like when in the woods behind my buddy it had trouble seeing him in front of me only 20 yards. It also was nearly unable to see my parked car heat from 50yds away when looking through the trees because of the ambient mix the sensor experienced.

In the end I think the Seek is a nice item for certain uses like around the house but the sensor is still a bit small for really good outdoor use ie hunting or scouting and to really get the most/best out of this it seems you need to have a large temp differences like 30-40 outside and looking for person/animal heat signatures. Other devices seem to do this better as I saw on a separate site and write up someone did using these for birding. The ThermApp handily beat the Seek XR for detecting smaller animals especially at distance even in the cold winter.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 12:17:09 PM EDT
[#17]
ill have a Seek Thermal XR tomorrow, for droid.... will be playing this weekend and will post pics and vids when i can...
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 8:07:46 PM EDT
[#18]
ARGH!!!!... i got it today, but i get nothing when i plug it in... cell is a moto g
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 7:37:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Hi. I'm with Inteliscope. We make the rifle mounts for smartphones. We have just completed initial re-design of our mount to integrate the Seek XR Thermal Imaging Camera. I've attached a couple design renderings. We are working on integrating Seek's SDK into our app so that our reticles and heads-up info will be interlaced with the thermal image--this will allow the shooter to switch from daytime to nighttime use and still have the rifle sighted in. This total solution (including the camera) will be under $500. We expect to have this ready for the market in a couple months. We'd be interested in feedback from folks on this forum.

Link Posted: 5/20/2015 8:12:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Hi. I'm with Inteliscope. We make the rifle mounts for smartphones. We have just completed initial re-design of our mount to integrate the Seek XR Thermal Imaging Camera. I've attached a couple design renderings. We are working on integrating Seek's SDK into our app so that our reticles and heads-up info will be interlaced with the thermal image--this will allow the shooter to switch from daytime to nighttime use and still have the rifle sighted in. This total solution (including the camera) will be under $500. We expect to have this ready for the market in a couple months. We'd be interested in feedback from folks on this forum.

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/21/2015 8:16:12 AM EDT
[#21]
anyone test this to see if you can use this, and get it to work on both phones?

Link Posted: 5/21/2015 12:12:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://headwatersbamboo.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Pig_sm.jpg

http://headwatersbamboo.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/With-Cable_sm.jpg

I like the idea. Was thinking of something similar to what Therm-App has with a handle and holder for a tablet.

Inteliscope, I sure hope your mount would allow for 7 to 8in tablets.

My goal was to get a Seek, fashion together a handle holder for my tablet. Attach an inexpensive IR laser to the handle. This way I could be wearing my NVGs and have my friend using the thermals with the IR laser to mark targets for identification with the night vision.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 8:51:37 AM EDT
[#23]

got the new XR last week from brownells.. had some time to play on the weekend..

the bad, it didnt want to work on my Moto G, so i got it working on a OLD galaxy Nexus, the the framerate was SOOOO slow, i couldnt do any video, "1 frame every 2 to 3 seconds"

i spotted a cat or raccoon at 60+y walking from a wood line and crossing a road.

this was it at night

day...

people fishing

car

Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top