Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2014 11:06:26 PM EDT
SureFire X400V Review

So my first thought when handed the new SF X400V was it looked a lot like the Stream Light TLR1s but had a bigger head, that could twist to white light , off and IR light and well an IR laser! There is a lot of features in a small package on this light/laser combo. I did however have a little hard time trying to use the momentary on feature. The thumb lever was acting like it was stuck as it was hard to turn on and off and I could not get to go into momentary on at all. I am used to the Stream light TLR1 with the soft push down for momentary on and a quick double to strobe and a hard click for constant on. So when all else fails read the instructions! The X400 you just push the tail cap lever for the momentary on with your thumb. It took me a few minutes to get used to this pushing but once I did it felt more natural than the stream light. I do advise though to use gloves as the tail light switch is a little pointed and can get the thumb sore pretty quick.

So the first full day of use was in a DARC CQB class. I did not have time to zero the laser but it was pretty close for the distance we were shooting. ( to keep the cost of the class down we were all using airsoft) I came to the class with my rifle set up running a DBAL in IR-Green and a Inforce WML IR/White light. I have this set up on two guns and it works well for me. Even though I have never been a big fan of tape switches to operate my devices because it never fails sooner or later I rub it up against a wall, rock, tree, etc and mess one up.

Not long into the class I could tell a huge difference in the weight on the front of the rifle. After running around holding your rifle in a high ready every ounce hanging on your rifle feels like a 100 pounds. I also like the fact of the 12 o'clock hold on the laser. I took a tape and measured the offset from the center of the barrel to the laser and it was right at 2 1/2 " so not a bad offset at all and makes your point of aiming at close CQB ranges really easy to remember and train with as point of aim point of impact is almost the same as that of my aimpoint.

But with the good also comes the one down side of the light. With the laser in the 12 o’clock position like it is it blocks a little of the bottom of my aimpoint as well as the front iron sights. However since I shoot with both eyes open after a few hours with it I had no problems making iron shot only hits with both airsoft and 5.56 in a later range session out to 200 yards.

So as stated before like some of SureFire’s others Vampires lights the bezel rotates to the desired position with good positive clicks so that at night with gloves on in total darkness I had no issues switching from white light to IR light and back again. The mode selector is located on the tail of the laser portion of the light so that when the bezel is in IR mode and the mode switch in the 9 o'clock position the light is off, rotate up to the 10 o'clock position and you have just IR laser, rotate to the 12 o'clock position and you have IR laser/light, rotate to the 2 o'clock position and you have IR light only and lastly to 3 o'clock and your back to another off position. With the bezel in the white light position everything is the same except with white light. Once again all of these changes are easy to make with gloves on in total darkness and under stress.

Once I got the X400 mounted on my working gun it took only a few shots to get a rough zero at 25 yards then fined tuned to just where I wanted it 2.5" above point of impact at 50 yards. Then the live fire fun started. With just white light I was able to easily engage a 12" gong out to 75 yards. with the IR laser only as well as the 100 yard gong but needed to add the IR light to really see and engage the 12" gong at 150 yards. From there I worked a series of targets with the IR laser/ IR light from 50, 75, 100 and 150 yards with no issues acquiring any of them and then hitting them when I did my part and not rush the shots before I was on target.
http://www.shooters101.com/images/online/X400V-3oclock.JPG
To sum things up after using this in the CQB two day class , and two nights of live fire at the range I would give it a 4 out of five stars! I think I will place my DBALs and Inforce's up for sale and upgrade to the X400s on both of my rifles.
Thanks for you time and I hope you find this helpful.
May God Bless America!
Patrick(shooters101)

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 11:14:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks awesome! I have one on preorder! Looking forward to the video.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 11:32:38 PM EDT
[#2]
That's actually really badass.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:02:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I hate I missed last weekend even more now.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:03:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I really like the looks of that but wish it was just a tad lower profile so it wouldn't block the front sight.  Was that a problem for you when you ran it?
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:43:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Isn't this the same product that Vic has an thread on? X400V
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 4:03:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I really like the looks of that but wish it was just a tad lower profile so it wouldn't block the front sight.  Was that a problem for you when you ran it?
View Quote

I'm also curious about that.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 7:23:33 AM EDT
[#7]
I want one now!
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:13:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Thank you for sharing! I am happy with my choice!
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 8:03:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Will the pressure switch work with these?
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 8:48:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Will the pressure switch work with these?
View Quote

This is what surefire list on their website.

Link

Looks like it would kill a 12oclock mount but should work with an offset, side or 6oclock mount.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 1:58:29 AM EDT
[#11]
anymore updates on this....I was thinking about getting this for my 300bo pistol.  How is IR light and vis light?
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 12:08:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
anymore updates on this....I was thinking about getting this for my 300bo pistol.  How is IR light and vis light?
View Quote

The video has a lot of the IR light in it.  I did not do much on white light due to well its a sure fire and they always have good white light.

It is rated at 150 lumens of white light and 120mW of IR light.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:56:17 AM EDT
[#13]
i m curious to see the difference with the Streamlight TLR VIR rated white light at 300 lumens and IR at 1000mW
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 10:26:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
i m curious to see the difference with the Streamlight TLR VIR rated white light at 300 lumens and IR at 1000mW
View Quote

The X300V would be the one to compete with the TLR VIR as they both lack an IR laser.  The IR performance would be interesting to compare as the Streamlight doesn't have any reflector for its IR LED.  

I just picked up an X400V today and plan to use it along with an XT-07 tape switch as a replacement for the CQBL and 952V I currently run on my 11.5 SBR.  I am trying to lighten up both of my NVD capable rifles and this will be a huge chunk of weight loss.  Losing the visible laser isn't a big deal to me, but I am a little disappointed that Surefire hasn't placed the lasers on the 400 series lights closer to the bore.  The height of the unit precludes it from being run at the 12 o'clock position, so I will have to be a lot more aware of my left to right holds.  That being said, I do understand that Surefire designed this for handgun use, and in that role neither of these "issues" matter much.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:03:05 PM EDT
[#15]
If you want to dump the weight look into a lighter suppressor as well.

I'm really interested in this light for my M&P, but I need to get rid of my PEQ-14 first.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 3:16:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If you want to dump the weight look into a lighter suppressor as well.

I'm really interested in this light for my M&P, but I need to get rid of my PEQ-14 first.
View Quote

Definitely.  When my stamp cleared for my MINI4 I remember being very surprised at how much of a difference those missing 5oz made in the feel and balance of the rifle vs the M4-2000. Removing weight that is way out at the end of the barrel is easily three times as noticeable as removing the same amount of weight back near the receiver.  Moving back from the suppressor, the D2 was the next furthest forward accessory that I want to lighten.

My X400V was supposed to be here today but got rescheduled for Monday delivery.  So much for zeroing it this weekend.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:24:10 PM EDT
[#17]
I managed to snag the x400vir on Saturday for a cool $325. Now if I can get home to test it out.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:25:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Double tap.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:46:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I managed to snag the x400vir on Saturday for a cool $325. Now if I can get home to test it out.
View Quote

How!?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:58:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

How!?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How!?

The Noctober shoot on Saturday. Let's just say, it was worth it.

I'll just leave this here. " />
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:50:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Half price, eh?  You lucky so and so

That GPNVG-18 is a dream of mine, can't imagine how awesome it is to have that kind of FOV.  There's one on eBay right now for around 35K.  

My 400V showed up today, but my XT-07 has been MIA within the depths of the postal services tracking system for the past 4 days
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:59:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That GPNVG-18 is a dream of mine, can't imagine how awesome it is to have that kind of FOV.  There's one on eBay right now for around 35K.  

My 400V showed up today, but my XT-07 has been MIA within the depths of the postal services tracking system for the past 4 days
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Between playing with those and seeing the new atpial that tnvc was demoing, it was a good night. Getting the 400ir was just icing on the cake.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:02:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Did you get a chance to test out the illuminator on the ATPIAL at all?  I'm curious to see how it performs as it's the first attempt that I know of for a civilian legal laser illuminator.

EDIT: sorry for the hijack...so, how did the ATPIAL illuminator compare the the X400V's illuminator?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:15:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Did you get a chance to test out the illuminator on the ATPIAL at all?  I'm curious to see how it performs as it's the first attempt that I know of for a civilian legal laser illuminator.

EDIT: sorry for the hijack...so, how did the ATPIAL illuminator compare the the X400V's illuminator?
View Quote

To me the ATPIAL-C was better in the aspect of range. The 400v was in the pistol Bay and the range was limited but it had very very good illumination. Both the peq15 and ATPIAL-C were on the 100 yard range.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:28:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Well, not so happy with my "white" light on the 400V.  It has that hideous purple/blue tint that plagued a lot of the 620V's and some 720V's.  Comparing it to my 300Ultras, 952V and 620Ultra it is by far the worst tint. Also seems lower in output than the 952V which is also rated at 150 lumens.  I sold two 620V's because of the horrible tint.  White wall hunting does exacerbate the tint issues, but the 620V's were so bad that even in real world use they made everything look off enough that it was distracting. I also felt like the tint flattened the image, if that makes sense.  I may contact Surefire and see if they will swap it out for me.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:31:48 PM EDT
[#26]
You might see if shooters can comment on his experience with the white light and how well it works. Mine is still in the box.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:00:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Mine has no blue tint.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:38:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Mine has no blue tint.
View Quote

I must have got a lemon then, which is good news really.  

I tried getting a few pics of the color difference between an X300Ultra and the X400V I just received. As with most of my lame iPad photos, I had a hard time capturing what I was actually seeing. I tried to edit the pics to more accurately represent what I am seeing, but I'll include the originals as well.

Original image, X400V left, X300U right.  This photo makes the 300 look more yellow than it actually is, and the 400 less blue than it actually is.

Same picture as above, adjusted to represent more accurately what my eyes are seeing.

Original picture, X300U left, X400V right.  Again, the 300 is much more neutral/less yellow than is depicted here, and the 400 is a bit more blue than is seen here.

Adjusted version of above picture.

Having dealt with Surefire's customer service before a few times I know they will take care of me so I'm not really worried at all, it just sucks that I'm going to have to wait again a while as my light travels to CA and back.  

PS If anyone who has a 400V likes cooler, bluer tints over more neutral or yellow tints and wants to trade IM me ;)
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:29:03 AM EDT
[#29]
I feel like running that at the 12 oclock position would be annoying, im planning to keep mine under the rifle at 6 oclock.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:53:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I feel like running that at the 12 oclock position would be annoying, im planning to keep mine under the rifle at 6 oclock.
View Quote

I agree, however running it at 6 has its own limitations.  I'm going to try mine at 3 and see how bad the offset is.  With the laser that far off to the right I know it will be less than optimal, but the 11.5 I have it on isn't my main night rifle and I don't shoot past 100 with it very often at all.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:22:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I agree, however running it at 6 has its own limitations.  I'm going to try mine at 3 and see how bad the offset is.  With the laser that far off to the right I know it will be less than optimal, but the 11.5 I have it on isn't my main night rifle and I don't shoot past 100 with it very often at all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So is yours the ir laser or the visible laser x400?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:00:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

IR version. Replaced my 952V and CQBL-1 with it to save weight.  Never used the visible laser on the CQBL so I didn't lose any functionality, just weight.

EDIT: just realized the question is probably not directed at me but at Spartikis
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 4:31:16 PM EDT
[#33]
FUCK!

Apparently anything over finger tight snaps the bolt. That was finger tight plus just a little torque with a screw driver. " />
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:55:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
FUCK!

Apparently anything over finger tight snaps the bolt. That was finger tight plus just a little torque with a screw driver. http://<a href=http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg575/pumbaajk/Mobile%20Uploads/20141021_144602_zps7zgsslmg.jpg</a>" />
View Quote

That seems like a materials defect. Ive taken mine on and off a couple of pistols using a screwdriver.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:09:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

That seems like a materials defect. Ive taken mine on and off a couple of pistols using a screwdriver.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
FUCK!

Apparently anything over finger tight snaps the bolt. That was finger tight plus just a little torque with a screw driver. http://<a href=http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg575/pumbaajk/Mobile%20Uploads/20141021_144602_zps7zgsslmg.jpg</a>" />

I think so too, already moved mine around on a few different weapons using a screwdriver with not so gentle torque (bad habit of mine) with no issues.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:37:42 PM EDT
[#36]
I called surefire and they said torque it with a dime or penny. Apparently since mine broke up and yalls haven't, I can see yall need to hit the gym more.

To clarify the height of the unit, this thing sticks way up there. It makes the buis useless and with my leupold vxr patrol 1.25-4, it takes up half the view. I am not sure how I am liking that...
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:55:07 PM EDT
[#37]
I have the regular 400 and after reading this article I think I would like to step up.  BUT, I would be very cautious with Surefire's customer service.  I sent my 400 in a second time (1 st was a stuck screw for windage adjustment).  The second time the cross bolt broke.  I also had a XM switch attached which had a broken foot (I used the XM switch twice and was told to include with my light).  I wrote a note regarding the problem with the light, the XM switch, and that the last time I sent the light in they returned it with the opposite rail mounting tab and asked for a second one.  They lost/stole/did not return my XM switch.  I have called several times and gotten the run around.  They included a mount system for the X200/300 lights.  SO it was clear they received my detailed note.

Sorry for the rant about their poor customer service.  Just document well what you send them (I wish I did a video and took pictures).  The light looks like it would be just the ticket for those of us with NVGs.  

Mike
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top