Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2014 9:37:49 PM EDT
Does anyone have any experience with the SPI PAS-15 long range thermal scope.  The SPI website claims some pretty impressive specs at a really great price. $4390.  Seems too good to be true for a 4.5x scope with a 60hz 388 x 260 sensor... It apparently debuted at the 2014 SHOT show but I can't really find any reviews or anything for it.  The videos from it look impressive as well.  I'm going to call about it on Monday and get some info.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 10:31:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Does anyone have any experience with the SPI PAS-15 long range thermal scope.  The SPI website claims some pretty impressive specs at a really great price. $4390.  Seems too good to be true for a 4.5x scope with a 60hz 388 x 260 sensor... It apparently debuted at the 2014 SHOT show but I can't really find any reviews or anything for it.  The videos from it look impressive as well.  I'm going to call about it on Monday and get some info.
View Quote

That's a LOT of Germanium for $4400.

Not sure why they're calling it a "PAS-15" since I question whether it has true .MIL designation. Also, and this is admittedly at quick glance, the unit does not "look" as though it's built to .MIL rigor.

If that price is correct, and those specs are as well, it looks like a promising piece of kit.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 10:36:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll let you know what I find out.  Did you try googling "SPI PAS-15" and see the information site?  I don't know if that was the SHOT 2014 promotional pricing. I see a couple sites claiming to have this unit in stock but selling it for over $6k.. The direct SPI site still claims it to cost 4390 for the whole kit including case, SD card, video cable, etc...
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 7:08:13 PM EDT
[#3]
They were listed when they came out for 5999.95

The lens looks different from the first models.

The pic of the unit with the hog was what was posted when the units first came out last year..

4400 price range looks good, but mount point looks small if body is polymer.

The 2x zoom looks bad compared to other thermals 2x zoom from the posted video.

Need someone with hands on and better video.

Made by chinese co that makes the t14 from what I remember.

Here is a thread of the T14HD  T14HD on ar15.com
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 8:02:06 PM EDT
[#4]
If that's the case, they've got shriveled donkey balls calling it a "PAS" -Anything.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 8:22:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm going to call them first thing in the morning.  For $4390 and 4.5x optical zoom it looks like a decent deal as long as it has all the other features that they claim.  They say it has a 3 year warrantee as well which is a plus if it's a chinese sensor... The footage looks about on par with an ATN 320 thor picture wise but the reticle looks like it's not that great though.  I dont know how they are claiming it has manual gain and levels control but there is no dedicated buttons for this.. I only see brightness along with zoom, capture, etc.  

I agree that they shouldn't be calling it a "PAS" too. Doesn't look on par with a true mil spec PAS.  

Hey Horta, do you still have that genuine PAS-13C v3? Wanna sell it anytime soon?
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 10:45:07 PM EDT
[#6]
JETDS naming

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joint_Electronics_Type_Designation_System

PAS in chinese =  Piece A $hit  

Hope unit is better then the BS naming, the 75mm lens and 60hz should be able to make good images.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 1:53:51 AM EDT
[#7]
I made a large purchase with SPI Corp earlier this year and would not give them my repeat business after that whole thing.  The product is AWESOME (AN/PAS-13G made by L3) but the service was substandard IMHO,  Offers were made and not followed through on, as well as lots of misleading info regarding availability.   I have no experience with that particular product or anything else in their proprietary line but I must day they wreak of CHEAP...  not in a good way.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 10:38:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I made a large purchase with SPI Corp earlier this year and would not give them my repeat business after that whole thing.  The product is AWESOME (AN/PAS-13G made by L3) but the service was substandard IMHO,  Offers were made and not followed through on, as well as lots of misleading info regarding availability.   I have no experience with that particular product or anything else in their proprietary line but I must day they wreak of CHEAP...  not in a good way.
View Quote

I am wrong in thinking that they seem to copy another product in the market place and slap a misleading name on it, like the PAS.
Having watched some of their thermal vids and how they swagger in the vids I am reminded of the "Yo Tony's" you see strutting around in Brooklyn. (no offense to my Italian friends ) . They also have one of the worst web sites on the net. I was interested in their DVR and for the life of me I could not find a price.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:28:34 AM EDT
[#9]
I've seen a bunch of their "reviews" on YouTube, and they more resemble an HSN infomercial you'll see at 2AM than anything of substance. They also use those fake photos in the background leading one to believe the 160px product they're pushing will produce those type of result.

When I see them I get the same feeling I do when you're at a stoplight and an unmarked van pulls up next to you with a couple of guys who want to offer you a deal on some speakers.

Shady.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 1:07:51 PM EDT
[#10]
HAHA! Get a load of this.... I called SPI this morning about the PAS-15 and their price they advertise on the website.  Whoever answered the phone didn't know anything about it and said they would have sales call me right back.  Of course it's been over an hour now with no return phone call.  I then got an email from Jim at SPI (I guess he's the owner or boss or something..) he says that the PAS-15 is only sold to the military. Hahahaha.  I don't think I buy this statement for even a second.  So now they are false advertising on their website on a product that might not even exist (except for maybe a few prototypes).  I let you know if  I actually get a call back from these guys and what they say.  Of course on the Ad page for the PAS-15 they are blatantly bashing their competitors compatible scope models such as ATN..
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 1:45:16 PM EDT
[#11]
They are even advertising this unit on a website they own called "killhogs.com".  I didn't know that law enforcement agencies or the military hunted hogs.... Ha
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 3:15:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
They are even advertising this unit on a website they own called "killhogs.com".  I didn't know that law enforcement agencies and military's hunted hogs.... Ha
View Quote

Wait, you never saw "Black Hawg Down"?
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 4:56:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
HAHA! Get a load of this.... I called SPI this morning about the PAS-15 and their price they advertise on the website.  Whoever answered the phone didn't know anything about it and said they would have sales call me right back.  Of course it's been over an hour now with no return phone call.  I then got an email from Jim at SPI (I guess he's the owner or boss or something..) he says that the PAS-15 is only sold to the military. Hahahaha.  I don't think I buy this statement for even a second.  So now they are false advertising on their website on a product that might not even exist (except for maybe a few prototypes).  I let you know if  I actually get a call back from these guys and what they say.  Of course on the Ad page for the PAS-15 they are blatantly bashing their competitors compatible scope models such as ATN..
View Quote

If a vendor doesn't pass my "smell test" I always just walk away.  In this instance they had the best price and swore up and down it was in stock and ready to roll.  At the same time their sales person on sniper's hide was offering a free video cable with each lwts purchase.  Two and a half months later I finally received this "in stock" device without the free cable (worth a few hundred bones), and without the software upgrade it was supposedly off receiving.  Luckily the L3 product I purchased from them is absolutely amazing.   I don't foresee another situation when SPI would receive another dime from me.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 6:00:50 PM EDT
[#14]
But they do put cute girls in some of their videos.. something important to look for when ready to drop a few g's on something...
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:19:07 PM EDT
[#15]
I ditched the idea of dealing with SPI and trying to find more about the non existent PAS-15.  Jim over there treated me like an ass&@$#  like I didn't know anything about thermal optics.  So instead, I made the better choice and bought Horta's Flir M18 .  Can't wait to get it!!
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:19:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I ditched the idea of dealing with SPI and trying to find more about the non existent PAS-15.  Jim over there treated me like an ass&@$#  like I didn't know anything about thermal optics.  So instead, I made the better choice and bought Horta's Flir M18 .  Can't wait to get it!!
View Quote

I got a similar feeling when I asked one of them how big the lens was on one of their proprietary clip on sights...  "who cares, it's a clip on it doesn't matter"
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:01:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

and because of that you are no longer welcome here

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:09:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:18:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fear not! You'll be scoffing at mere mortals with lowly FLIR M18 Recons in a few short hours.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 8:48:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Fear not! You'll be scoffing at mere mortals with lowly FLIR M18 Recons in a few short hours.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would it be inappropriate of me to get in my car and hunt the brown truck down so I do not have to wait.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 8:49:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Inside joke between TheHorta and I.
Flyboy101 can enjoy one of the steals of the century  

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:02:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:12:01 AM EDT
[#23]
If you want to get something real good from SPI, get a FLIR T-60 at a marked down price.....it is a high powered thermal that few others can match.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:42:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Would it be inappropriate of me to get in my car and hunt the brown truck down so I do not have to wait.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have all of my various drivers (Both UPS and FedEx) on speed-dial. When I have something coming in, I call them up and meet them the moment they set out on their route.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 10:22:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Well, today is the day I join the Flir M18 club! Now if only work would go by quicker so that I can go pick it up from the UPS facility.... I may need to sneak out later for an "extended lunch" break to go pick it up then

I know I'm going to want a 3x extender for it now...
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 10:36:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Be sure to load up on CR123 lithium batteries.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 12:24:38 PM EDT
[#27]
I'll have to order some up in bulk from online.  In the mean time I'll probably have to buy them individually at over $4.00 each from RadioShack or Walmart.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top