Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2014 5:05:59 PM EDT
Just passing this deal on.

Sportsman's Guide Sale

Hell of a deal for $30 for a pair of them.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 7:17:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Do these take a special bulb? Or is it an off the shelf truck/tractor bulb?
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 7:36:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do these take a special bulb? Or is it an off the shelf truck/tractor bulb?
View Quote

Youll need to get a 12v sealed beam.

Edit: mine came from napa but its the same sealed beam that goes in those universal tractor work lights. Many different beam patterns and wattage including landing lights.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 7:39:59 PM EDT
[#3]
The 12 volt bulbs are $5 on eBay.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 7:43:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a pair of lights similar to this.
Mine use the GE4811 Military Bulb. 28V, PAR-36, which is a standard bulb size.
The IR lenses on mine are absolutely black. Even on the darkest night, you can't see a hint of light through mine.
I bet these are as good, and the lenses (they are filters) alone are worth the price.

If 28 (24) Volts is inconvenient, it would be easy to replace with a 12V or other PAR36 bulb, or any incandescent bulb of your choice. Using NODs on an ATV or other low-speed vehicle would require only a low power bulb.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 1:00:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Cool, good to know these can use 12V bulbs.
Definitely more affordable at the moment than the LED lights I've seen.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 1:19:03 AM EDT
[#6]
I bought some, not sure why, but I bought some. Now, how am I gonna mount these on my CRV.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 6:30:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I bought some, not sure why, but I bought some. Now, how am I gonna mount these on my CRV.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/14/2014 12:01:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Sold out now.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 12:17:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s588.photobucket.com/user/miker84/media/jeep/2013-05-03_16-50-25_57_zps2dc5fef2.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss328/miker84/jeep/2013-05-03_16-50-25_57_zps2dc5fef2.jpg</a>
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s588.photobucket.com/user/miker84/media/jeep/2013-05-03_16-50-25_57_zps2dc5fef2.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss328/miker84/jeep/2013-05-03_16-50-25_57_zps2dc5fef2.jpg</a>

Duck tape and JB weld
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 4:27:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The IR lenses on mine are absolutely black. Even on the darkest night, you can't see a hint of light through mine.
I bet these are as good, and the lenses (they are filters) alone are worth the price.

If 28 (24) Volts is inconvenient, it would be easy to replace with a 12V or other PAR36 bulb, or any incandescent bulb of your choice. Using NODs on an ATV or other low-speed vehicle would require only a low power bulb.
View Quote

I jumped on this deal, they came today and what I got is exactly what you describe.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 7:22:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Too bad they were sold out when I clicked on the link...
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 7:37:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Damn... I wish they were still in stock.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 7:37:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I jumped on this deal, they came today and what I got is exactly what you describe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It would be great if someone would document the process of 24V to 12V with part numbers, where they got them from, how you decided to run the wires thru the back, if you have a source for the .mil wires that match, etc... etc... with lots of pic's.

I have a pair coming too . I know to go to NAPA and look at the light bulb books in the sealed beam section and will figure it out on the fly from there. There's been good info so far and it's been very helpful.

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 8:04:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Mine (4 lights) came in today. Where can I find the cables to get power to them?

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 8:13:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It would be great if someone would document the process of 24V to 12V with part numbers, where they got them from, how you decided to run the wires thru the back, if you have a source for the .mil wires that match, etc... etc... with lots of pic's.

I have a pair coming too . I know to go to NAPA and look at the light bulb books in the sealed beam section and will figure it out on the fly from there. There's been good info so far and it's been very helpful.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here is what you will find inside...

The outer ring/housing comes off with 4 screws. It has an inner retainer to hold the glass filter in place. The sealed beam is held in the main housing by a metal ring with 3 screws.

Remove the 3 screws and this is what you will find. The black harness connector won't be used because it won't match up to the aftermarket lamps. 2 wires are 12v and one is ground.  You'll only need one 12v and 1 ground.

The center wire is ground and the other two are 12v that lead to the connectors outside the shell. For my install, I kept the ground on where it is because I grounded through the mounting bolt. If you can't ground that way, you'll need to use one of the existing 12v wires as a ground,

24v lamp on right, 12v on left. One 12v wire to one post and ground to the other.

In my case, only one of the plugs on the outside of the shell is "hot", the other isn't connected to anything, but it could be used as ground if needed.

I'm just using a butt connector like this with some heat shrink on it for the outside connection

Lousy wiring diagram
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:30:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Nice write-up, Miker84.
Well done.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:36:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Got any pics of it in action yet?  How is the beam?
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:40:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

It is silly easy. Put in a 12V bulb, and then just use the existing wires for POS & NEG.

I will post pix next day. I took it apart and it is getting painted black right now. Tomorrow I will go to Lowes and get a 12V PAR36 bulb.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 10:06:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

With the lights. The grass is as tall as the lights so the light wasn't dispersed very well.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:51:32 PM EDT
[#20]
There seems to be a dizzying array of PAR36 bulbs in 12v to choose from including various wattages and beam angles. I would think having one light with a tight beam angle and the other with wide angle would be the best overall combo but I have no idea what wattage to get. Any suggestions from those of you who have them?

https://www.1000bulbs.com/category/halogen-xenon-par36-sealed-beam-flood-lights/

http://www.bulbs.com/PAR--36-Sealed_Beam-Light_Bulbs-Category/10V_--_19V/results.aspx?Ns=P_Volts+Sort%7C0
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:52:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Were I to attach the lights to an off-pavement vehicle, I would choose the widest angle flood bulbs I could find. You don't have the option of conveniently aiming the lights where you want to peer, so you make up for that by flooding a wide swath and peering where you do wish to see. If you wanna see all around, you will need lights on all 4 sides of the rig.
Besides, a too narrow, too bright beam is hard to see into when it is often lighting up nearby brush off the trails and in the corners.

If I rigged the light in an aim-able configuration, I'd narrow down the beam.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:00:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s588.photobucket.com/user/miker84/media/ARFCOM/20140916_204421_zpsdzvzbtmw.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss328/miker84/ARFCOM/20140916_204421_zpsdzvzbtmw.jpg</a>

With the lights. The grass is as tall as the lights so the light wasn't dispersed very well.

<a href="http://s588.photobucket.com/user/miker84/media/ARFCOM/20140916_204558_zpstxhgr6nb.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss328/miker84/ARFCOM/20140916_204558_zpstxhgr6nb.jpg</a>

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s588.photobucket.com/user/miker84/media/ARFCOM/20140916_204421_zpsdzvzbtmw.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss328/miker84/ARFCOM/20140916_204421_zpsdzvzbtmw.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s588.photobucket.com/user/miker84/media/ARFCOM/20140916_204558_zpstxhgr6nb.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss328/miker84/ARFCOM/20140916_204558_zpstxhgr6nb.jpg</a>

Looks pretty awesome man.  Wish I would have grabbed a few pairs before they sold out.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:04:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Were I to attach the lights to an off-pavement vehicle, I would choose the widest angle flood bulbs I could find. You don't have the option of conveniently aiming the lights where you want to peer, so you make up for that by flooding a wide swath and peering where you do wish to see. If you wanna see all around, you will need lights on all 4 sides of the rig.
Besides, a too narrow, too bright beam is hard to see into when it is often lighting up nearby brush off the trails and in the corners.

If I rigged the light in an aim-able configuration, I'd narrow down the beam.

View Quote

The factory GE4811 light they come with is a fog lamp, which would give good wide area coverage.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:16:14 AM EDT
[#24]
I've got one flood and one spot in mine. The flood is aimed at the center of my line of sight near the vehicle and the spot is aimed out a little further. The trouble is that the spot hits tall grass or brush and then doesn't do much unless I aim it so high that it never hits the ground. If I mounted them higher, they'd work better.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:52:03 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm glad I could help.  Seems like several of you jumped on the deal.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:57:37 AM EDT
[#26]
You guys might want to keep an eye on this thread too:

Offroad IR Lighting- Gauging Interest

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_18/428080_.html&page=3
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:18:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I'm glad I could help.  Seems like several of you jumped on the deal.
View Quote

Thank you! For real.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:20:15 PM EDT
[#28]
miker84

Big help. Thank you very much!

Feeble-Prize
You too. Thank you!
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 2:30:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Installed mine today waiting for it to get dark so I can adjust them.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:06:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Just passing this deal on.

Sportsman's Guide Sale

Hell of a deal for $30 for a pair of them.
View Quote

IF anyone bought a pair and doesn't want/need them, let me know and I'll be more than happy to take them off your hands. :-)

I just refuse to order form SG after they cancelled all my ammo backorders, raised the prices, and them emailed me inviting me to buy all the ammo I originally had on back order for 140% of my backorder price. </rant> lol.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:42:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/uibyNjA.jpg
View Quote

Very cool. What bulbs did you go with and how did you connect them?

Thank you
Mark
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 7:00:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Went with a pair of sealed 12v 35 watt bulbs they were in stock at tractor supply. I terms of hooking them up I just followed the diagrams posted here on page 1 but instead of using the ground post as my ground I used the second plug on the back?

I had an extra light bar wiring harness with relays etc that I tied them into
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 5:12:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

What kind of brackets did you use to mount the lights on the roll cage?
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 6:27:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Is that a plasti-dipped Razr?
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 9:02:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Looks like a Can-Am.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:47:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/uibyNjA.jpg
View Quote

That looks badass! Exactly what brand and color paint did you use on that commander? What kind of prep work was involved? Do you have any bad paint-chipping issues? The IR lights look great, but I missed out of the deal so i'll have to wait and see about the IR LED lights in ncorry's thread.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 12:51:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

They are just Tusk 2" Whip mounts.

Quoted:

That looks badass! Exactly what brand and color paint did you use on that commander? What kind of prep work was involved? Do you have any bad paint-chipping issues? The IR lights look great, but I missed out of the deal so i'll have to wait and see about the IR LED lights in ncorry's thread.

I used Rapco Part's Carc 686 Tan replacement first time it didn't go so well I tried using a brillo pad and AJAX to scuff up the plastic I still ended up with some peeling and scratching so I took it apart and media blasted it all then primed and now there are no issues.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks like a Can-Am.

2014 Can Am Maverick XRS this was a pic before the paint

Link Posted: 9/25/2014 12:59:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Awesome! Thanks for the info. It looks really good.

What primer did you use? Sorry for so many questions- I'd just like to get it right.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 2:58:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Awesome! Thanks for the info. It looks really good.

What primer did you use? Sorry for so many questions- I'd just like to get it right.
View Quote

I had some multi purpose primer laying around in rattle cans nothing special
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 9:29:16 PM EDT
[#40]
How do you like that Maverick? Does is stack up to the RZR? They seem to have similar numbers, but the Can-Am is quite a bit cheaper.  The prices on these things are getting ridiculous, one RAZR model is $29K.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 10:35:26 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
How do you like that Maverick? Does is stack up to the RZR? They seem to have similar numbers, but the Can-Am is quite a bit cheaper.  The prices on these things are getting ridiculous, one RAZR model is $29K.
View Quote

I think the cabin / creature comforts of the Maverick outweigh the slightly slower speeds. I put a new primary and secondary clutch in and now it smokes my neighbors RZR 1K and it cost less in the long run. Next step for me is sending my shocks in for revalve / re spring and then it'll be like riding on a cloud of tities.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:22:22 PM EDT
[#42]
I found the OEM connectors for the back of the lights if anyone is interested.

Ebay listing

I'm waiting on a combined shipping price and asking for a DIY kit with a few spares thrown in incase I botch a crimp or something. Just contact him.

I replaced my windshield mounted KC's with IRs. The KCs up there where getting a little too flashy looking for my taste these days but I'm not sure if these IRs say "sleeper sort of cool" or look at this shady dude with these strange black lens thingies.

I hit the housings with Rustoleum Flexi Dip. I wanted instant gratification while at Home Depot so I grabbed a pair of 25W PAR36 wide flood bulbs off the shelf which btw are not bright enough for this application but served their purpose for the install. They'll go back and I'm trying 50W narrow spot bulbs next. Keeping a wide light pattern off the hood is the thought but I may do a blacked out patch of Flexi Dip on the hood and and maybe the grill for fun too.

I got a roll of duct tape for the dash and I came up with a way to bag my tail lights if I want to drive blacked out.  
Double bagged. Fold three times & turn inside out. Kinda like folding an SAS scarf into a hat.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:19:27 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 8:13:19 AM EDT
[#44]
So they are a 24volt dc, what is the watts on the lights?

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 12:23:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Thanks
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks

Quoted:

The factory GE4811 light they come with is a fog lamp, which would give good wide area coverage.

Link Posted: 10/9/2014 12:43:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Are they 100 Watts 120Watts?
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 12:53:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Are they 100 Watts 120Watts?
View Quote

Pretty sure the oem lights are 110watt/55watt. You get 110w on 24v and 55w if only one 12v lug is connected.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 1:17:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 4:54:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Another source for the Packard wiring connectors:   Packard Connectors

10 packs for $12.95 + shipping
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top