BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:08:14 AM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Sounds like the latter part of this off the TNVC website might ought be removed. I'm highly disappointed to see this level of poor customer service from OpsCore.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:43:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

This
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sounds like the latter part of this off the TNVC website might ought be removed. I'm highly disappointed to see this level of poor customer service from OpsCore.

This

I sold my OpsCore and just use my Nightcap now. Never had any issues with my OpsCore but to be honest I used it little. The correct response from OpsCore would just be to give the Man his money back and be done with it.

After two breaking in the same spot you don't want to send the customer a third to continue the hurt. Regardless of where the problem is the product is obviously not suited for the customer. I would have issued a refund and been done with it. Not much thinking going on at OpsCore. How to handle this should be a no brainer in customer service 101. I am not even a customer service guy and I can figure it out.

At the very least some kind of store credit to purchase something more heavy duty. To get bad press like this over a 200 dollar helmet is pretty stupid. Even IF it was customer abuse 200 in store credit makes the problem go away. Some people are harder on things than others and not every product is sufficient for every customer.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:04:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I sold my OpsCore and just use my Nightcap now. Never had any issues with my OpsCore but to be honest I used it little. The correct response from OpsCore would just be to give the Man his money back and be done with it.

After two breaking in the same spot you don't want to send the customer a third to continue the hurt. Regardless of where the problem is the product is obviously not suited for the customer. I would have issued a refund and been done with it. Not much thinking going on at OpsCore. How to handle this should be a no brainer in customer service 101. I am not even a customer service guy and I can figure it out.

At the very least some kind of store credit to purchase something more heavy duty. To get bad press like this over a 200 dollar helmet is pretty stupid. Even IF it was customer abuse 200 in store credit makes the problem go away. Some people are harder on things than others and not every product is sufficient for every customer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

Yup. To boot, I'm floored that they haven't responded in this thread - I'm sure they know about it and have read it (then again, maybe not, given the derpage in the custserv response). Their silence says a good bit.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:06:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Yup. To boot, I'm floored that they haven't responded in this thread - I'm sure they know about it and have read it (then again, maybe not, given the derpage in the custserv response). Their silence says a good bit.
View Quote

I sent them a link to this thread and the one I put up at SH.  E-mailed it to the customer service people I was speaking with and sent it in on the contact us part of their webpage.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:20:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Reminds me of a issue I had with a certain night vision company many moons ago. It broke in half twice and had they just refunded me it could have saved them years of a pounding by me and they would have a lot more money in their pocket. Sometimes "principle" or the lack thereof overrides common sense. Textbook example of a teachable moment on what not to do.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:48:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I sent them a link to this thread and the one I put up at SH.  E-mailed it to the customer service people I was speaking with and sent it in on the contact us part of their webpage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If they have been made aware of it and still choose to ignore it, then I think their position on the issue is quite clear.  I will not be spending any money with them and will do my best to steer others away from them as well.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:36:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

If they have been made aware of it and still choose to ignore it, then I think their position on the issue is quite clear.  I will not be spending any money with them and will do my best to steer others away from them as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would've been happy with a VAS shroud to screw into the Fast Base after grinding the plastic shroud off.  But NOoooooo, they forced my hand.  Actually, I'm pretty surprised that this thread has gotten so much attention.  Let's face it, the NV community is pretty small (growing every day) in the scheme of things, but this place seems to be a pretty common denominator to get info out to it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:39:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:20:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

same here, even before this thread I always recommended the team wendy after trying the ops core on.

as far as im concerned the OC isnt even a viable option anymore.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:07:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Interesting read, I have been looking at bump helmets today and the OC was at the top of the list until I read this.  I dont see any reason to buy a product that wont be supported by the manufacturer when it doesnt look like it was abused (and will drop my $2K+ NV Device).
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:08:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Interesting read, I have been looking at bump helmets today and the OC was at the top of the list until I read this.  I dont see any reason to buy a product that wont be supported by the manufacturer when it doesnt look like it was abused (and will drop my $2K+ NV Device).
View Quote

Go with the Team Wendy, it is more comfortable than the Ops Core anyway and the built in shroud has an aluminum mount inside of it so it wont break like the Ops Core.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:43:13 AM EDT
[#12]
I got my pvs14 and helmet right before TW came out. I have never really had a good nights hunt with the OC on my head. (I think i have a weird shaped head) I think i might look at buying a TW just for the  hell of it. I hate that i spent that much money on a helmet that can be broke by "user error" not once but twice in the exact same spot.

Customer service does alot for me. Ill spend a considerable more amount of money somewhere if i know that if something goes wrong, my shit will be fixed. OC, looks like you failed at that simple business model.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:56:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
...and will drop my $2K+ NV Device
View Quote

Regardless of what helmet you run, the NOD needs to be tied down. ALWAYS.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:59:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I got my pvs14 and helmet right before TW came out. I have never really had a good nights hunt with the OC on my head. (I think i have a weird shaped head) I think i might look at buying a TW just for the  hell of it. I hate that i spent that much money on a helmet that can be broke by "user error" not once but twice in the exact same spot.

Customer service does alot for me. Ill spend a considerable more amount of money somewhere if i know that if something goes wrong, my shit will be fixed. OC, looks like you failed at that simple business model.
View Quote

I didn't really start this thread to personally bash OC, but did so more to just report my personal experience with them.  When I sent the first one back (I bought used of the EE) they really took care of me- considering it was a non-transferable warranty.  I came here and posted that experience too, and was quite happy with them.  That being said, no, I didn't really want to have to pony up for another bump helmet and got a hell of a deal on a TW from a buddy.  I'd like to think that I'm not so biased against OC that my bias would change my opinion on which helmet is more comfortable.  TW is definitely more comfy on my extra large noggin than the OC is.  And TW has a metal shroud (for the most part).
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:37:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
...and will drop my $2K+ NV Device

That is correct, I would just rather use a bracket that isnt plastic.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:03:23 PM EDT
[#16]
They haven't responded publicly, perhaps I will remember to ask them about it at Shot Show.  They will be in booth 8109-8111 if anyone else is interested to do the same.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:53:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I didn't really start this thread to personally bash OC, but did so more to just report my personal experience with them.  When I sent the first one back (I bought used of the EE) they really took care of me- considering it was a non-transferable warranty.  I came here and posted that experience too, and was quite happy with them.  That being said, no, I didn't really want to have to pony up for another bump helmet and got a hell of a deal on a TW from a buddy.  I'd like to think that I'm not so biased against OC that my bias would change my opinion on which helmet is more comfortable.  TW is definitely more comfy on my extra large noggin than the OC is.  And TW has a metal shroud (for the most part).
View Quote

What you did is tell your story. I don't see the intent as an OC bash. They should have taken care of you and should beef up the mount system on the Base Jump. Of course, on a web forum, people are going to jump in and turn the thread into a bash.

Other than the mount (and mine is now fixed), the Base Jump is a very nice set up. Comfort is good, if it is properly fitted and set up. Color choice and overall aesthetics are better than their competition. All they need to do is dump the molded mount and add a VAS shroud.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:10:40 PM EDT
[#18]
As I said I liked my OpsCore and had 0 problems with mine. I get the fact he bought it used and the warranty is not transferable and all that. Had it not been the same exact issue in the same place twice I would probably say you win some and lose some when you buy used stuff. That issue looks like a design flaw and I know others are not happy with the polymer shroud (mostly fitment issues). Just out of pride for your product and the whole standing behind it I would have sent him something more heavy duty or some store credit to buy something else.

I don't think he deserves full "new" value on it as he bought it used but some mutual agreement could be worked out if they tried. I think they should make it right.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:00:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
In October 2012, my first OpsCore Fast Base helmet broke while using a single PVS14 with a standard legacy USGI Rhino mount.  I contacted Ops Core and they had me send it in to take a look at it, and about a month and half after first contacting them, they sent me a replacement.  Here are pictures of the first helmet and the break:

http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m548/ncorry/Shroud1.jpg

http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m548/ncorry/Shroud3-1.jpg

As was well and good for about 18 months, during which the helmet saw maybe 30 nights' worth of hog hunting, always using a single PVS14 and either a Rhino legacy mount or a Rhino II Ti mount.  I usually left the Rhino attached and unhooked the 14 at the J-Arm.  The Rhino was mounted and re-mounted maybe a total of 15 times, and that's overstated.  

On August 4th, I was rearranging some stuff on the helmet and removed the Rhino II mount (using the release lever, not a hammer), and when the mount released, a piece of the shroud came with it.  The EXACT same piece as on the first one.

http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m548/ncorry/break1.jpg

http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m548/ncorry/Break5.jpg

http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m548/ncorry/Break4.jpg

So, I sent an e-mail to OpsCore using their website's contact us form on August 5th.  I got a quick reply asking to send some pictures, which I did the same day.  Again, got a quick response and was told that the pictures would be sent to engineering to see what could be done.  I followed back up with e-mails on August 7th and August 12th and left a voice mail on August 12th.  I received a call back on 8/13 requesting that I supply them with the Return Authorization # I received from them in 2012 when the first one broke.  All I could come up with was a copy of the e-mail I received from OpsCore in October 2012 stating that I didn't need a RA # to send my first one back, which I forwarded to OpsCore's customer service rep on 8/13.  I sent a follow up e-mail on 8/18, and finally got the following as a response on 8/26:  

http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m548/ncorry/8-26-14Emailp1.jpg

I'd already sent them one that broke in the exact same place and manner, and the helmet didn't pass the military's drop test since the shroud kept breaking (from 3 or 4 feet, IIRC), but "Engineering has not heard of the shroud breaking in the manner ".  I replied the same day stating that I would like to get a RA, but that I didn't get a "sales number" when they replaced the first one.  No response, so 3 days later, I asked again for an RA # to send the broken helmet in for review.  

On 9/2, I got a response asking for me to send a picture of the break so that "our team to look at the helmet".  So, I sent the same pictures I sent on August 5th along with two more.  The next day, I received the following response:

http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m548/ncorry/9-3-14E-mail.jpg

Trying hard to keep this post to the facts and keep opinion (and my default mode of smart ass) out of it.  In short, I started this process on 8/5, and 4 weeks later, was asked to send the same pictures I initially sent on 8/5 to finally be told that a review of those pictures "determined that use of the helmet caused the damage which would not be covered."  Use of the helmet caused it to break, as opposed to what, rust?

I'm thinking about trying some metal JB Weld and/ or screwing a Rhino into the shroud might get it to work.  Or maybe something involving a mannequin head and some tannerite.....

BTW, my new Team Wendy ExFIl is better all the way around.

ETA: Chip and Jaime at at TNVC did all they could for me, and I feel that they went above and beyond and that should be noted.  I bought the first one used off the EE here, and couldn't find the seller's invoice.  They really, really tried, and I appreciate it.
View Quote

Since this thread keeps getting mentioned or linked elsewhere even though it seems to be a very isolated incident, I feel compelled to ask a question of the OP since there may be relevant information omitted.

In the pictures of both of the helmets, there appears to be some form of adhesive residue inside the shroud.

Did you insert some form of non-factory shim between the mount and the helmet within the shroud in an effort to tighten up the fit of the interface?

Doing so quite possibly put excessive preload on the shroud leading to a creep induced failure since you mention that you typically left the mounts in place.

Looking forward to your candid response so that we can all better understand the real issue.  Thank you.

ETA - I am not defending OC's CS, but neither have I had any issues with my multiple Fast Base Jumps after a good bit of use.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 1:09:55 PM EDT
[#20]

Since this thread keeps getting mentioned or linked elsewhere even though it seems to be a very isolated incident, I feel compelled to ask a question of the OP since there may be relevant information omitted.

In the pictures of both of the helmets, there appears to be some form of adhesive residue inside the shroud.

Did you insert some form of non-factory shim between the mount and the helmet within the shroud in an effort to tighten up the fit of the interface?

Doing so quite possibly put excessive preload on the shroud leading to a creep induced failure since you mention that you typically left the mounts in place.

Looking forward to your candid response so that we can all better understand the real issue.  Thank you.

ETA - I am not defending OC's CS, but neither have I had any issues with my multiple Fast Base Jumps after a good bit of use.
View Quote

On the first helmet, I didn't use anything.  When I got the replacement #2 helmet back from OpsCore, it came with a rectangular piece of adhesive black foam rubber that I put in the shroud's recess.  In the third picture of the OP (one sitting on a white towel), you can see it kind of.  The piece of foam was maybe 1/8" or 3/32", but not 1/4" deep.  So, to answer the question, no, I didn't use a non-factory shim as it came directly from the factory with it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 1:49:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Thank you for your response.  

I only have three of these helmets, all purchased from a reputable distributer and received in sealed factory packaging, and none of them have included the "rectangular piece of adhesive black foam rubber that I put in the shroud's recess".  I also see no reference to same in the instruction manuals that came with mine, but that mainly relates to installation of the internal pads and adjustment of the suspension system.  Maybe this is something new that OpsCore is doing, since I have had mine for a while?

One can only speculate that the original owner of the first helmet that you bought on the EE must have also installed this manufacturer-provided "rectangular piece of adhesive black foam rubber", and then for some reason removed it prior to shipping to you since the adhesive residue pattern is quite analogous?

Has anyone else here installed this piece of factory-provided foam rubber shim on their helmet?  If so, how has it worked out for you?

I guess that it was also good to remove that piece of foam so that the pics of the second failure would not be obscured in any way by same.

To reiterate, I only have three of these helmets, but want them all to perform up to their optimum potential without catastrophic failure as presented in this thread.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 3:18:37 PM EDT
[#22]
The shroud on the first helmet fit great.  I don't remember it coming with a piece of foam, but then again, I don't remember the adhesive residue-looking thing on the helmet either, but it sure does look like it in the pics.  The  shroud on the second one was loose- the same Rhino that fit nice and tight in the first one was sloppy in the second one.  When extended (i.e. 14 over eye), the 14 would move side to side maybe 3/8" each way if you wiggled it.  The little piece of foam took care of that, but it is not like I had to push hard to compress the foam to get the Rhino to snap into place.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 3:50:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 3:55:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:56:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I've stated this elsewhere.  We have sold hundreds, if not a thousand of these helmets since they've been released and  we have not had one return for anything breaking in this fashion. I could only hope one of our customers would have informed of such a defect, but it's never happened.   Could it happen? Sure, anything can break and anything from a mold can get defective when you're talking thousands of pieces.

To be completely transparent, we were told this original EE sale helmet was supposedly purchased from us and we tried extensively as Ncorry mentioned to gather who the original owner was so we could try to run interference like we do with all our products if the need arises when a situation exits. In this case we could not ascertain who the customer was and if was indeed purchased from us.  

Vic
View Quote

Thanks Vic. That is good news for us base jump users.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 9:41:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The shroud on the first helmet fit great.  I don't remember it coming with a piece of foam, but then again, I don't remember the adhesive residue-looking thing on the helmet either, but it sure does look like it in the pics.  The  shroud on the second one was loose- the same Rhino that fit nice and tight in the first one was sloppy in the second one.  When extended (i.e. 14 over eye), the 14 would move side to side maybe 3/8" each way if you wiggled it.  The little piece of foam took care of that, but it is not like I had to push hard to compress the foam to get the Rhino to snap into place.
View Quote

Ncorry, the only things that are consistent with your tale of woes are inconsistency and omission.

The hard data is that out of hundreds or thousands of units in service there have been two unique and isolated reported failures of a nearly identical nature under questionable circumstances, and that the only common factor of those failures is you.

If this is such an inherent design flaw as you have suggested, why are we not reading about dozens or more of similar failures from folks who use them much harder than you have suggested that you do?   I guess that statement might encourage some folks to go out and intentionally break shit as has been done in the past on arfcom.

The manufacturer apparently sent you the first replacement without question in good faith even though you had no paperwork as to the provenance of the failed item.  When you asked for a second replacement, they wanted to take a closer look due to the uniqueness of the failures, but you chose not to send that unit to them for whatever reason.  

At that point you determined independently that it was appropriate to blast on the internet that not only did the particular product have an inherent design flaw, but that OpsCore as a whole sucks because of your perception of poor CS.  

Neither of these suppositions appears to be supported by fact, but the internet mob mentality has propagated this slander of OC in many threads and forums anyway.

So how will TW be trashed when brand Z comes out with the next latest and greatest cool guy gear?  

Your whole misrepresented discussion and the response to it by the forum is somewhere between disappointing and disgusting…...whatever happened to the concept of innocent until proven guilty?

Maybe the thread subject should be, “I fucked up a pair of OpsCore helmets through improper modification, and they wouldn’t send me a third one for free, so I created an internet thread stating that not only does the product itself suck, but so does the whole Company.”

All y’all have a great evening…..geez.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:03:04 PM EDT
[#27]
To be fair, he did say that he was just reporting the events as they happened to him and that it was up to each one of to decide for ourselves.

Normally, I would agree with you that the possible problem was him, however the company's response rubbed me the wrong way.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top