Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 18
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 9:42:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't have any real need to drop the dough on one of these, but since I have a damn nice pvs-14 and want to get IR laser and illum on my rifle,  it's tempting.  I need an excuse.
View Quote

my excuse was I spent 3k on a pvs14, bought IR lights, and I had a cheapo aiming laser

why not have a quality laser if you are that deep into the game
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 9:59:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

my excuse was I spent 3k on a pvs14, bought IR lights, and I had a cheapo aiming laser

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't have any real need to drop the dough on one of these, but since I have a damn nice pvs-14 and want to get IR laser and illum on my rifle,  it's tempting.  I need an excuse.

You have a good point, no doubt.  My counter point is that I can do a lot of things with my PVS-14 that don't involve a rifle, so the investment could stand alone.  I'm not a LEO and I don't night hunt currently, so I could spend $300 on a Lasermax Unimax and a WML IR light and get some of the night time capability at a fraction of the cost.  But after researching the options on the civilian market, this ATPIAL-C unit really does seem to be the cat's ass.   So I'm still tempted.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 2:41:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I had the opportunity to play around with a new ATPIAL this weekend.  The illumination was a complete circle, not a bar as some have photographed...
View Quote

Mine is rectangular as others have posted. I was going to buy two more, but decided against it because of this. Wonder why that one wasn't. You sure it was the C model?
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 11:06:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes.  It was a c- model.  I have heard that the ambient lighting can affect the perceived shape.  I was in an indoor controlled lighting facility, almost zero ambient light, perfect circle.

Quoted:

Mine is rectangular as others have posted. I was going to buy two more, but decided against it because of this. Wonder why that one wasn't. You sure it was the C model?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had the opportunity to play around with a new ATPIAL this weekend.  The illumination was a complete circle, not a bar as some have photographed...

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:12:21 AM EDT
[#5]
I suspect lighting plays a large role.
The edges of the circle may not be as bright as dead center so any ambient light may wash the circle out some.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:04:14 PM EDT
[#6]
No. It is not round, period, in any ambient light. I notice it every time I use it, especially since mine is mounted on the side of my rail since the FLIR is so low. This means I get a vertical rectangle. It is real, and is NOT an optical illusion.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:15:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:55:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Couple of NV pics of my ATPIAL-C 850nm IR laser at 20 and 175 yards tonight:

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:16:57 PM EDT
[#9]
It was really too bright out tonight to take a decent pic of the IR Illuminator, but on both low and high it was perfectly round.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:57:11 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

No. It is not round, period, in any ambient light. I notice it every time I use it, especially since mine is mounted on the side of my rail since the FLIR is so low. This means I get a vertical rectangle. It is real, and is NOT an optical illusion.
View Quote
Mine is like this as well, I just assumed it was the way they are.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 3:30:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, I want to know if it can be fixed before I send it in. I have hunts scheduled this week and next week. How fast can it be turned around, Vic?
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 4:08:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Well, I want to know if it can be fixed before I send it in. I have hunts scheduled this week and next week. How fast can it be turned around, Vic?
View Quote

Here is the explanation  I received as to why it is what it is:

"Yes we're aware of the rectangular (oblong) shape of the IR Lum. Regarding our test unit, if you look closely this unit also has a brighter rectangle in the center but not as pronounced as what you're seeing. In talking with the L3 Engineers, here is what the lead has informed us on the rectangular shaping. So you know, my restricted unit is also oblong as well, but much brighter at 25mW.

I am aware of the condition you and your customers are describing on the fixed focus, Class 3R, IR illuminator. As you already know, solid state laser diodes normally emit a rectangular pattern that is managed, through a combination of optics and apertures, to be as circular as possible. At the time I joined this effort (August), there was some question concerning the allowable illuminator output for civilian consumption consistent with the IEC 60825 specification. In order to be Class 3R compliant, we slightly modified the longstanding, existing illuminator design to permanently fix the focus and reduce the energy density from the aperture. During production, we even individually optimized each illuminator for the best looking beam possible. "

So the configuration of the diode, being rectangular, is conveyed to image because of a fixed focus.    Why some are circular and some are not may be that they fix focus each individual unit as best as the illumination puts out.  There does not seem to be a standard other than what looks best......evidently some are rectangular, so I don't know how this is what looks best.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 4:26:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:13:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks, but that doesn't work for me. I'll consider sending it directly to L3, but not back to the store. If and when L3 owns up and fixes the issue, I'll send it in. That, or I'll dump it on the EE and buy the LDI with better features when they come out.

Funny, none of my LED flashlights with LED chips have rectangular illumination patterns, even my Chinese knock-offs with IR heads have round illum patterns.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:17:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:23:23 PM EDT
[#16]
You weren't clear about that. It sounded like you wanted to see it yourself as if you don't trust my opinion.

ETA: email or IM shipping address/RMA number to me and I'll get it in the mail tomorrow.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:34:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 7:13:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Please post your results of the investigation.   If it is a problem with the unit and it gets fixed...I'll be honest.  I want mine round too.  If it's not an issue that can be fixed and is a design flaw.  I also want to know that information.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 7:47:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Please post your results of the investigation.   If it is a problem with the unit and it gets fixed...I'll be honest.  I want mine round too.  If it's not an issue that can be fixed and is a design flaw.  I also want to know that information.
View Quote

just out of curiosity, how far away were you in the pics you posted on page 23?

i may get mine out in my apartment tonight and play with it some, unfortunately my indoor apartment range is only about 15ish yards
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:37:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:08:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

i may get mine out in my apartment tonight and play with it some, unfortunately my indoor apartment range is only about 15ish yards
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what about it was on the inside of my home.   I do, however, get the same image outside.   I would of been a bit harder to capture the image at a longer distance.  Being the same as outside, I went with a solid background of inside the home.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:15:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Please read the engineering post above. There is no design design flaws.

Vic
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please read the engineering post above. There is no design design flaws.

Vic

Well, I've read it several times.   From your perspective, it's the same in your non C version as it is on the C version.   The C version is a fixed focus alternative to the regular version.   There are several illuminators that have a round illumination.  From the perspective of the customer, it is a design flaw as you are not getting a round image, but more a rectangular one.  I just don't belive it's impossible to configure the image to be round.  In my eyes, no matter how it's made now,  it's a flaw.  Some may find it acceptable.  Some are getting round images and others rectangular.  Why is this?  My is apparent to the eye, as it would be apparent to some whom have commented on theirs being round.  Not consistent.  There has to be human error in there somewhere.  Even your own pictures upon presentation of the device are round.  Mine are not.   It's an objective finding and not my opinion that there are differences amoung units.  An educated person will ask why.  Vic, we've had this conversation.  I'm not asking for a refund at this point.  I'm measly pointing out that there are inconsistencies in image projection amoung units
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:10:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:14:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 2:07:35 PM EDT
[#25]
IM replied to with my customer info.

So L3 says that's the way it is? Is there anything that can be done? (Unit looks to be pumped full of potting glue and non-serviceable to me). Besides "yeah, we see it. It is typical, not a defect, here is your unit back". This is my concern, dude.

I will send it in and give you the benefit of the doubt. I would prefer my illuminator throw as perfectly round a pattern as Skypup's, please.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 4:01:27 PM EDT
[#26]
I pulled mine out last night to look as well.

its like it wants to be round, but isnt quite there. its a half canted square, I do find it odd now that I think about it that L3 says the IR led's throw a square pattern.
I do some engineering with components on the side and the IR led's I work with throw a perfect circle. Just like a surefire M1 led

I would say the circle from my illuminator is about half of the one displayed with the product images, and canted from about 10 oclick to 4 oclock.

I may try to take some pics tonight for giggles

ETA: I looked at the images on the 1st page again now that i know what im looking for. it looks like they do have darker area's forming a rectangle but the rectangle is vertical in the TNVC images as opposed to horizontal how im looking.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 4:06:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

its like it wants to be round, but isnt quite there. its a half canted square, I do find it odd now that I think about it that L3 says the IR led's throw a square pattern.
I do some engineering with components on the side and the IR led's I work with throw a perfect circle. Just like a surefire M1 led
View Quote

I may be mistaken, but the L3 Engineer in his/her explanation mentions that the 850nm IR Illuminator is coming from an IR laser, not an IR LED, hence this unit has no visible reddish glow due to the laser being much more monochromatic IR light than what you can possibly get from an IR LED.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 4:12:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I may be mistaken, but the L3 Engineer in his/her explanation mentions that the 850nm IR Illuminator is coming from an IR laser, not an IR LED, hence this unit has no visible reddish glow due to the laser being much more monochromatic IR light than what you can possibly get from an IR LED.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

you are correct.
I dont know why im thinking it was an led.

its been a long day today
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 4:16:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 4:22:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:43:09 PM EDT
[#31]
yea I read the info from the L3 Engineer, I think my post may have been misunderstood.

im not meaning to come off like there is something wrong with it and I understand the nature of how it works.
Its a great product, does what is advertised, and I wouldnt hesitate to buy another. I do appreciate the hours spent working with them to bring the civilian version to us.

I tinker on alot of things part of why my hobby turned into a career, mostly just thinking out loud. I wish these suckers were not sealed up I would love to have a look inside of one or chat with an engineer

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:47:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Maybe it needs to be quoted one more time
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:51:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:51:55 PM EDT
[#34]
I'd take some representative NV pics of my ATPIAL-C IR laser illuminator but the almost full moon has been coming up right after sunset pretty much annihilating it.

I does work fine for me out 200+ yards and mutes out the IR laser bloom but it is no where near as powerful as the DBAL-D2 or SPIR or TorchPro IR illuminators.

It works great for what I use it for, shooting out between me and 200 yards though. Nice that you can adjust it to completely encircle the IR laser to pinpointing it in the center of the IR Illum beam.

Pics later once we have some decent dark nights around here.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:12:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I tinker on alot of things part of why my hobby turned into a career, mostly just thinking out loud. I wish these suckers were not sealed up I would love to have a look inside of one or chat with an engineer

View Quote

Break one open for us, Vic?
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:29:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Just got mine! Can't wait to run some drills with it

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:16:57 PM EDT
[#37]
I was able to get some decent representative NV pics of the ATPIAL-C IR laser and IR Illuminator tonight, IR laser filtered and IR Illuminator alone.

You can see that mine is a round circle and the filtered IR laser is AWESOME!.

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 8:54:06 AM EDT
[#38]
I'll tell you what, I am liking this kit even better after spending sometime in the woods with it at night!

That IR filter built into the lens cover is super nice and unless it is very dark I don't even need the IR Illuminator when utilizing the IR laser for shooting.

The laser IR Illuminator is nowhere near as powerful as the DBAL-D2 LED IR Illuminator, the APTAIL Illum only is good for about 200+ yards instead of 600+ yards, but it has no red visible signature and I knew the IR Illum would not be as powerful as the DBAL-DR or SPIR. Really have no need to be using the IR laser at night past 200 yards anyways, mostly it is used less than 100 yards for snap shooting hogs and coyotes.

Since I have been used to using my DBALs for years now, it just takes a little more brain time to remember the switch is on top of the unit instead of on the back of the unit, but am getting used to using that in the dark easily.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 8:03:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Anyone know of an offset sure fire scout mount that works with the ATPIAL? I just tried my thorntail mount and it didn't work. I'm using a quad rail.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:37:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Anyone know of an offset sure fire scout mount that works with the ATPIAL? I just tried my thorntail mount and it didn't work. I'm using a quad rail.
View Quote

Back on page 24, TNVC has a mount coming out that will work.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 11:17:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ya that's pretty nice, but I don't want that whole front sight setup just a light mount
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 1:41:01 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Ya that's pretty nice, but I don't want that whole front sight setup just a light mount
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's the mount base by itself.
http://www.unitytactical.com/shop/vtac-micro-hub/
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 3:39:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 7:30:36 AM EDT
[#44]
I'm IN for the free ATPIAL-C TNVC Free Give Away!
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 7:30:40 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 8:01:27 AM EDT
[#46]
In!
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 8:12:05 AM EDT
[#47]
Great, time to kiss my wife's ass again!
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 8:19:18 AM EDT
[#48]
Tax return time
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 8:19:48 AM EDT
[#49]
Maybe tax refund.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 8:31:38 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I'm IN for the free ATPIAL-C TNVC Free Give Away!
View Quote

Same here. What a great chance to win a great piece of kit.
Page / 18
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top