Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 21
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 10:25:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Anyone know what the reticle options/adjustment differences are between the Patrol and the Hunter Mk II? The Mk II spec sheet says 3 types of reticles, while the Patrol says only basic crosshairs/clip-on mode. In addition, the Hunter Mk II specs note Calibrated MOA windage/elevation adjustments, while the Patrol doesn't say anything. I would assume it would be easy to make the software features identical between the 2 units, but perhaps differences in reticles and adjustability are intentional by IR Defense?
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 10:52:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
L4 G24 from Wilcox is $449.00
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/Clutch99/L4_G24_afr1_zpsd4234d0f.jpg

Flip to the side mount is $331.66
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/Clutch99/FlipMount_af1_zps94a1b1b8.jpg

We will be offering packages with good savings with the above mounts once we the Patrols are released.

Vic
View Quote

That's what I'm talking about baby!!!!

ETA-   Forgot to ask, and haven't seen it answered yet:  I own the 19mm 320x 30hz IR Hunter, and am very happy with it. My fault -  I assumed that the battery extender shown on the IRH website, was an actual existing product that you could just slap on, and enjoy longer battery life .  Apparently for the MK  I units (at least) the extra battery adaptor requires the "3 battery" mode setting to be activated, which isn't currently (i) installed on the internal software or  (ii) visible while scrolling through the menus.   Also, the battery extender wasn't, as of the last time I checked, available for purchase.   The only nit I can pick is that the "stock" Patrol unit holds one battery, and the one battery run time isn't great.

Will the battery extenders, and the software adds required to run them, be available at the time these units are released?
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 4:43:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Vic, when can we see video or more pictures taken through this monocular?  Will you be taking Pre-orders for them!?
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 6:45:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 7:33:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Mmmmmm.  Two of those and neck pain!
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 8:50:50 PM EDT
[#6]
From the pictures it does not look like a guy will be able to run the patrol and a PVS 14 side by side.  
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 9:37:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Is the base model made so you can add a dove tail mount later?
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 10:02:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
From the pictures it does not look like a guy will be able to run the patrol and a PVS 14 side by side.  
View Quote

Anything can be made to work with the right mount(s), it just might cost you.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 12:56:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hope this works with my ModArmory dual mount. This year is looking expensive.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 2:27:35 AM EDT
[#10]
It appears the pvs14 would be too far away from ones eye to be used with the thermal at the same time.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 4:03:53 PM EDT
[#11]
No, they would be roughly equal, looking at the placement of the Wilcox dovetail. Most of the extra length is forward of the mount.

Link Posted: 12/26/2014 5:42:09 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

No, they would be roughly equal, looking at the placement of the Wilcox dovetail. Most of the extra length is forward of the mount.

View Quote
That is not what I see in the pictures to my eye.  Yes the it does look longer in front of the dovetail but is also looks substantially longer than a PVS 14 behind the dovetail.  That said I hope you are right but from the pictures it does not appear so.

Link Posted: 12/26/2014 7:29:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Its too bad the thing weighs over a pound. The m24 and others weigh substantially less.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 7:38:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Its too bad the thing weighs over a pound. The m24 and others weigh substantially less.
View Quote

Yeah... but it's still pretty epic for the consumer space. For v1.0 it's an awesome unit.

Looking forward to someone releasing a consumer SkeetIR. At just 9 ounces (lighter than a PVS-14) *with* a built-in IR laser AND with the ability to use it as a clip-on, helmet mounted, or a COTI, that thing is balls-out bad-ass.

Link Posted: 12/26/2014 10:56:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yeah... but it's still pretty epic for the consumer space. For v1.0 it's an awesome unit.

Looking forward to someone releasing a consumer SkeetIR. At just 9 ounces (lighter than a PVS-14) *with* a built-in IR laser AND with the ability to use it as a clip-on, helmet mounted, or a COTI, that thing is balls-out bad-ass.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I waited for a SKEET IR for a while, then I got sick of waiting and bought an LWTS.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 12:36:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
That is not what I see in the pictures to my eye.  Yes the it does look longer in front of the dovetail but is also looks substantially longer than a PVS 14 behind the dovetail.  That said I hope you are right but from the pictures it does not appear so.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am also thinking that the dimension at the rear is about the same.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 1:06:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree it is an interesting advance in many respects, lots of potential.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 12:51:52 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hope so, that would be fantastic, maybe my eyes are deceiving me

Link Posted: 12/27/2014 7:29:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Alright,  patrol has been announced.  Let's get back to some IR Hunter MK II opinions.  Anyone got some of the recent batches?  How ya liking it?  Vic said earlier comes with video cable.  this true?
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 12:29:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 12:36:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 7:12:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 7:58:44 PM EDT
[#23]
oh look.............and I just sold my X320
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 7:05:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 7:24:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Nice!
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 8:16:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Nice!
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 12:59:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Very nice indeed! Any pricing info yet on them?
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 1:30:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 2:32:07 PM EDT
[#29]
The 2x looks a little "slow" (aperture-wise) and seems to introduce modest vignetting.

The 3x looks better in both aspects, but as all optical magnifiers are wont to do some resolution / sensitivity is lost, albeit they're still better than digital magnification.

Link Posted: 12/31/2014 3:19:18 PM EDT
[#30]
I think I would opt for the 3x as long as it's not too much more expensive than the 3x was for the m18.   I was disapointed though with the 3x performance on the m18, it took a serious hit on the sensitivity and performance.  I found that in humid conditions it was almost unusable.  If these pics are real then this 3x lens looks like it will perform well.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 3:50:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 4:09:19 PM EDT
[#32]
I think I would opt for the 3x as long as it's not too much more expensive than the 3x was for the m18. I was disapointed though with the 3x performance on the m18, it took a serious hit on the sensitivity and performance. I found that in humid conditions it was almost unusable. If these pics are real then this 3x lens looks like it will perform well.
View Quote

I was also disappointed with the 3x and the m-18.  Detail really fell off, and the image was really washed out. Of course in the summer around Houston humidity stays above 90%.

Image looks pretty dam good on the 3x with the patrol!
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 4:35:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 11:48:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

And that was just a pic!

Vic
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think I would opt for the 3x as long as it's not too much more expensive than the 3x was for the m18. I was disapointed though with the 3x performance on the m18, it took a serious hit on the sensitivity and performance. I found that in humid conditions it was almost unusable. If these pics are real then this 3x lens looks like it will perform well.

I was also disappointed with the 3x and the m-18.  Detail really fell off, and the image was really washed out. Of course in the summer around Houston humidity stays above 90%.

Image looks pretty dam good on the 3x with the patrol!

And that was just a pic!

Vic

How about some videos then?!
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 10:07:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 2:23:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 8:55:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Even though Vids suck at what the performance really can do...A few use Vids for marketing videos and even the low dollar units look as good as the top end ones at times..  ]I'll see what I can do.  
View Quote

This is very true!  Amazing how bad some of the uploads look compared to actual images. I think photo shack is the worst I've seen.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 9:02:09 PM EDT
[#39]
It all depends on the humidity....

You need a big lens to capture more thermal emissivity to make up for higher humidity, but you lose FOV with the larger lens system.

The difference in thermal view through a 640 core 35mm system compared to a 640 core 100mm system during the rain is incredible.....
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 11:17:28 AM EDT
[#40]
Is the AFOCAL magnifier the same thing as a usgi magnifier for the pvs14 or something different?
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 12:29:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Its the same principle but the lens elements are different material.  Germanium is used instead of glass due to the properties of the wavelengths envolved with thermal IR radiation. Glass is opaque to these wavelengths. Unfortunately germanium is very expensive so even the most basic afocal lenses start at around $1k.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 1:36:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 5:11:46 PM EDT
[#43]
+1,  Thermal imagers in 1987 were worth more than their weight in gold anyways during that time period.  Since almost no Soviet tanks or aircraft had much thermal night vision capability compared to the thermal sights on the old M-60A3, M1, and Leopard 2A4 and Western air assets, it was expected with the thermal systems and other night vision capabilities they'd be able to take back any gains during the night if the Soviets would have made any such gains during the day in a ground war.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 1:33:47 AM EDT
[#44]
Got it, thanks for the detailed replies!
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 1:38:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 2:21:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 8:30:40 AM EDT
[#47]
what about water resistance?

thanks
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:49:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 10:42:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 2:29:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 21
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top