Page / 21
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 10:56:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 11:27:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Pretty impressive
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 4:54:34 PM EDT
[#3]
you can use the Patrol XR as a stand alone unit?

thanks
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 2:56:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 5:08:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It is strictly a hand held device if that's what you mean.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

thanks

yes - could it be weapon mounted.

thank you
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:28:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 2:26:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

thank you
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

thanks

thank you

I could be wrong, but I think if you want a unit that can do duty as a hand held or as a weapon mount, you'd want the Reap-IR.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 2:27:03 AM EDT
[#8]
And I have to brag.  3 more yotes bought the farm tonight.  They can't hide from the Reap-IR  Sadly no pics, bodies were in deep brush
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 1:16:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I could be wrong, but I think if you want a unit that can do duty as a hand held or as a weapon mount, you'd want the Reap-IR.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

thanks

thank you

Can this be confirmed? I'm interested for one that can be helmet mounted and rifle mounted, was under the impression the patrol was what I wanted, the XR just might be the one, so clear.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 2:58:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 5:45:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Reap-IR scores another kill tonight.  About 200 yards out.  Hunting partner is so impressed with it that he's looking to sell some of his NV gear to get one.  That makes 6 coyotes since August.

Link Posted: 11/14/2016 12:59:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 5:57:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Nice, is that a RIGID IR light I see on your bumper. Probably the very best driving lights out there in the 940nm IR range.  
View Quote

Yes sir it is.  I use it for "stealth mode" approaches to the hunting grounds.

ETA:  its this model.

http://www.rigidindustries.com/led-lighting/104392
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 8:39:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 9:11:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 8:04:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Just ordered a Reap-IR a couple days ago. Can't wait to get and start slaying some yotes.  Only downside is the 3-5 week wait. But a shout out to Chip at Tnvc. He spent about 45 minutes on the phone with me explaining the ins and out about thermal.    Awesome customer support!!
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 6:16:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 11:27:19 PM EDT
[#18]
I sure hope the wait time is less then I was told. Had coyotes in my backyard tonight and couldn't see them with my bnvd. Thermal is gonna be a game changer around here
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 1:42:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I sure hope the wait time is less then I was told. Had coyotes in my backyard tonight and couldn't see them with my bnvd. Thermal is gonna be a game changer around here
View Quote

Trust me, its going to blow your mind.  Friend of mine is selling his PVS-22 to fund a Reap-IR.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 9:22:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Trust me, its going to blow your mind.  Friend of mine is selling his PVS-22 to fund a Reap-IR.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

It will be worth the wait.  Nothing can sneak by on my property anymore.  
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 12:20:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 8:56:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Unit shipping out today. Upgrading you to 2nd day air. Enjoy the unit!
View Quote

You guys rock! Thanks for the upgraded shipping.  I picked it up friday from fed ex.  After I got it home and started playing with it, it was blown away by it. The detection range on it is out of this world.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 4:51:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 6:07:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 2:46:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Does anyone use the REAP IR as a helmet mounted unit for scanning and identifying targets? Can you use it to scan, then put it on a rifle? Or is it best to have a dedicated scanning unit and a weapon mounted unit?

I'm thinking about getting into the Night Vision game, and I'm trying to decide what would best suit my needs.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 2:57:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Yes the real point of this unit is that is a pretty amazing scanner that bc of the dloc mount can be fairly effortlessly slapped on your rifle.  If you are used to shooting dedicated scopes with larger lenses, well, it's not as "good" of a scope as those, imo.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 5:33:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
We are sorry to hear you are having all these problems. The thumb stick issue we have known from the beginning and it seems to only be a problem with particular guns or loads because of certain recoils. We did however just implement a new thumb stick lock into the REAP-IR and if we get good feedback on it we will put it into the IR Patrol M300W and older M300W will be able to be upgraded when and if we decide the thumb stick lock is a good option. The thumb stick lock is new and we are still evaluating the feature to see the long term benefits, it does require another button push to exit the lock.

As for support IR Defense has a very good turn around and we answer our calls quickly when compared to some other industry giants that can takes months to do anything. We are also launching a new support service in the next 90 days that I believe will make everyone a lot happier and will also make the process a lot easier.

Take care,

Scott
View Quote

sure hope so, i have been holding off on the reap ir because of all of your software bugs that get fixed with new models. a customer or send in option to fix firmware is something you already expected to work right from the beginning should be free, but even at $100-150 for the service would be fair. the upgrade options you offer are great if someone wants a better lens or core, but why piss off your whole customer base that has already purchased IRD by not fixing bugs? word of mouth spreads quick, and i sure hope when i drop 7k all i will have is good things to say about your customer service if any issues arise. also all of the hunter's, mki mkii resale values are killed because people know they are buggy.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:55:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 2:23:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
This has been covered from Scott and what more of all these bugs are you talking of? I started another thread a few months back we took to Trijicon (who aquired IRD) discussing all the points. What do you have to add?

Thank you.
View Quote

i have read numerous complaints that the known bugs from the mkii are still present in the mkiii and reap ir. enough that im just sitting here with 8k burning a hole in my pocket because of the lack of support. i have tried to call IRD directly since the 15th with no answer and left 2 messages with no call back. also had email communications from 2 weeks ago, they just stopped responding after 2 emails and 5 more sent with no reply. i have not even spent any money with them and im already disappointed with the customer service.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 2:38:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

i have read numerous complaints that the known bugs from the mkii are still present in the mkiii and reap ir. enough that im just sitting here with 8k burning a hole in my pocket because of the lack of support. i have tried to call IRD directly since the 15th with no answer and left 2 messages with no call back. also had email communications from 2 weeks ago, they just stopped responding after 2 emails and 5 more sent with no reply. i have not even spent any money with them and im already disappointed with the customer service.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This has been covered from Scott and what more of all these bugs are you talking of? I started another thread a few months back we took to Trijicon (who aquired IRD) discussing all the points. What do you have to add?

Thank you.

Probably because they are in the transition of being acquired by trijicon
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 6:03:27 AM EDT
[#31]
To be fair, the MK II is a design compromise... it's famous for having issues if you twirl the knobs too fast. (Menu freezes primarily...) IRD indicated that they were not going to fix that, primarily because it would effect the performance of the Mk II / Mk III.

I'm not going to tell you that doesn't annoy the crap out of me, but it is what it is.

The IRD devices (I have the Mk III and REAP-IR) are built like tanks; they do,work well.

My experience is that their customer service has been pretty great up until now. I'd give them the benefit of the doubt for the moment.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 10:02:40 AM EDT
[#32]
I have never had the opportunity to use any IRD products; however, after seeing photos and reading users reviews there is no doubt in my mind they produce great image. I was going to purchase a REAP-IR or SNIPE-IR, but they have lost my business. I just can't fathom their approach to customer service nor will I support a company that has so little care for the end user. I understand that products will come and go and products will inevitably be replaced by newer improved versions, but to release a product with obvious flaws at that price point and not remedy the problem for existing users, instead releasing a new product nearly immediately with that fix being the main change?
Blows my mind. It would be like Toyota stating that our product is nearly perfect and we will not be correcting the "sticking gas pedal".
However, we will be releasing a new model without the sticky gas pedal problem.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 4:56:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Well, I'm not going to say that you're entirely wrong, because your point is valid.

Without a doubt they put out a product in the mark 2 and 3  that really doesn't hold up to use when you are adept at using the dials.

And of course, just like most automobile manufacturers, they're ignoring the problem because it would be too costly to fix.

That said, my biggest issue is that they want to charge for firmware related to fixes, as opposed to giving them to you. And it's pretty obvious that they have to charge for it  because they don't have an in-house developer for the firmware.

No the truth of the matter is that in the end none of that really matters. The reason none of that really matters is that at the moment nobody product can compete with the IRD devices.

From a cost-effect  standpoint, you need to go out and buy a device that cost at least two times as much in order to get as well build the unit.

Even now, several years later, other manufacturers are not putting out devices that are as robust physically or comparable electronically.

So unless you want to spend $15000-$20,000,  IRD is your only good option.

Besides, if you buy the Reap-IR or one of the newer models you're going to be just fine...
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 5:07:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 3:14:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Agreed GB.  

I've been to their factory and have seen the making of the units INSIDE and OUT and it's ALL MADE IN THE USA.  We've taken apart so many "other" devices out there (and NO not naming names) and the shoddy construction of parts and assembly is enough to make your head spin to know that some of these other devices are not made to last, they are made for extreme profit (I get that). But with IRD I know where it's made and where it's now heading...It's a great thing and we're happy to lead distribution channels of a truly Made in the USA product.
View Quote

one of the reasons i will still end of with a reap ir here shortly. hopefully they will improve the CS to match the quality of the device.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 8:11:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Well, by my way of thinking, even though this is a TNVC thread, there are two vendors you can go to in order to make the purchase...

(TNVC is one of them... and you can't go wrong with them.)

So long as your purchase is through a good dealer, they can deal with any warranty or upgrade issues you may have.  I really doubt that you'll see a CS issue if you go through TNVC.

I got my IR Hunter Mk II through them.  I had it upgraded to a MK III directly through IRD (and they were great - Got it done during SHOT).  Bought my REAP-IR from the other large vendor...

GB
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 2:55:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
you ... expected to work right from the beginning should be free, but even at $100-150 for the service would be fair. the upgrade options you offer are great if someone wants a better lens or core, but why piss off your whole customer base that has already purchased IRD by not fixing bugs?
View Quote

I have a Patrol M300 and a Hunter (MkIII 60mm).  I am probably a good example.  I am still a quite a bit annoyed that the Patrol does not display x,y coordinates - to me it makes sighting in a game of chance - and delegated the more expensive M300 to dedicated monocular status (which could have been accomplished for several K less).  That said, as annoyed as it made me, it ultimately caused me to get the Hunter because the image is so darn nice.  For me the dials are not a problem, as I rarely need to touch them accept to nuc the unit, or sight it in. 
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 1:14:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I have a Patrol M300 and a Hunter (MkIII 60mm).  I am probably a good example.  I am still a quite a bit annoyed that the Patrol does not display x,y coordinates - to me it makes sighting in a game of chance - and delegated the more expensive M300 to dedicated monocular status (which could have been accomplished for several K less).  That said, as annoyed as it made me, it ultimately caused me to get the Hunter because the image is so darn nice.  For me the dials are not a problem, as I rarely need to touch them accept to nuc the unit, or sight it in. 
View Quote

Yeah, that's actually why I got the REAP-IR... to helmet mount.

I have to agree with you, but there really are not other options at the moment that are as cost effective - in general.

I'm waiting for 800x600 or 1024x768 units... some day....
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 6:18:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 6:52:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
To be fair, the MK II is a design compromise... it's famous for having issues if you twirl the knobs too fast. (Menu freezes primarily...) IRD indicated that they were not going to fix that, primarily because it would effect the performance of the Mk II / Mk III.

I'm not going to tell you that doesn't annoy the crap out of me, but it is what it is.

The IRD devices (I have the Mk III and REAP-IR) are built like tanks; they do,work well.

My experience is that their customer service has been pretty great up until now. I'd give them the benefit of the doubt for the moment.
View Quote

How could fixing the firmware routine that reads the knobs affect the overall performance of the instrument...

I'm called HORSESHIT on this lame answer...
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 8:29:53 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

How could fixing the firmware routine that reads the knobs affect the overall performance of the instrument...

I'm called HORSESHIT on this lame answer...
View Quote

You a programmer? You an electrical or computer engineer?

Imagine you are scanning for input from a knob, a knob that is not a variable resistor.  The rotor is actually more of a momentary switch that turns...

Now, you need to write the operating system for the device so that it scans for the position changes of that switch (which is an on/off or positional; the rotor either registers/ senses a position change momentarily or it knows it's at a specific position).  The OS scans for a position change many times per second, scanning many times per second (10s of 1000s) has the effect of slowing the device down, and scanning a lower number of times per second for a position change speeds the device up (by virtue of freeing up the system for other tasks).

When you change the scan rate, you effect how often a turn of the knob will be detected. In order to ensure proper responsiveness you need to time the scan for a change in input just right.

It's that simple.

The weirdness with the turrets can probably not be easily fixed with firmware (operating system) changes. If the switch were a purely positional one, then the Hunter would probably not have issues with frozen menus.

Also, given that the Reap-IR is using a different system speaks volumes about the solution to the problem.

I'd still take an IR Hunter over almost anything out there... in the civilian market.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 10:56:09 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Imagine you are scanning for input from a knob, a knob that is not a variable resistor.  The rotor is actually more of a momentary switch that turns...

Now, you need to write the operating system for the device so that it scans for the position changes of that switch (which is an on/off or positional; the rotor either registers/ senses a position change momentarily or it knows it's at a specific position).  The OS scans for a position change many times per second, scanning many times per second (10s of 1000s) has the effect of slowing the device down, and scanning a lower number of times per second for a position change speeds the device up (by virtue of freeing up the system for other tasks).

When you change the scan rate, you effect how often a turn of the knob will be detected. In order to ensure proper responsiveness you need to time the scan for a change in input just right.

It's that simple.

The weirdness with the turrets can probably not be easily fixed with firmware (operating system) changes. If the switch were a purely positional one, then the Hunter would probably not have issues with frozen menus.

Also, given that the Reap-IR is using a different system speaks volumes about the solution to the problem.

I'd still take an IR Hunter over almost anything out there... in the civilian market.
View Quote

A couple of ways can be approached to resolve the issue, hardware mod to limit the encoder pulse output to a slower rate, kinda like a governer (not sure if encoders are active or passive with debounce built in).  The firmware re written to handle the the encoders output better with debounce timing as needed, not sure if IRQ's are used to flag input change on data lines to the microprocessor or a simple sample each go round. Processing time is limited and how you do things makes all the difference in the world. Think about driving and now you get a call and all your attention goes to the call, bad things can follow, same thing when a program stops doing what you want it to do to pay attention to a input for too long. I cant see why this issue has not been resolved, but the devil is always in the details.

But one thing that does work is go slow and unit will not lock up

Pic quality is awesome
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 2:20:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Anyone have any input how the new Flir Bosco systems will compare?
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 7:09:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 8:54:17 PM EDT
[#45]
I just picked up a previously owned IR hunter mkII and after unsuccessfully trying to get ahold of IR defense for several weeks prior to purchasing to ask about warranty transferrability, I had to buy it and take a risk or pass up a good deal. I've heard opinions and read posts stating that the remaining warranty is covered but I have yet to get a concrete answer. Can someone help me out? I love the MKII and I'd be a lot happier with the purchase knowing I'm still covered under warranty. Also, are they still doing the upgrade program?
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 9:33:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

It's that simple.

View Quote

Actually yes...

I program u-controllers as well...

Link Posted: 1/29/2017 2:50:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 6:23:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 5:03:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Can I just say it kinda pisses me off that Trijicon feels the need to jack the prices up an extra $500 after purchasing IR Defense on an already stupid expensive item.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 3:13:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Can someone make some comments about how the stadiametric range finder works on the IR hunter MK III.  I am having my unit upgraded and it's a feature I'm not familiar with nor can find information about.  

question

1.  do the brackets placed top and bottom of the subject give range?
2.   If you range a hog in like manner, will it give the correct range? (since the hog is a different height)

I know that when you use a milrad scope, you can figure range based upon the subject and know parameters.  How does this work on the IRhunter?  Thanks.
Page / 21
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top