Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 21
Posted: 9/2/2014 11:25:02 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:39:52 AM EDT
[#1]
OK, now I've gone from little interest to must have.  

I think this is FLIR's Achilles Heel. They should take a lesson from their competitors and start using high-resolution OLED displays.

The IRH G2 is what a TWS should be / have been all along. Some great innovation!
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:46:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:06:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OK, now I've gone from little interest to must have.  

I think this is FLIR's Achilles Heel. They should take a lesson from their competitors and start using high-resolution OLED displays.

The IRH G2 is what a TWS should be / have been all along. Some great innovation!
View Quote

You'll just have to wait for the FLIR Quark thermals to hit the market in thermal weapon scopes....
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:31:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, I guess that means I want need a thermal scope now......
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:36:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:30:46 PM EDT
[#6]
"Optional Video Cable"?

What is up with that?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:37:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh come on Skypup , let Vic talk about the IR Hunter.

No need to reference FLIR in the thread like you have twice already, you'll confuse the hell out of noobs and dilute the message of IRD's product.

Rant over

;)
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:51:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

No need to reference FLIR in the thread like you have twice already, you'll confuse the hell out of noobs and dilute the message of IRD's product.

Rant over

;)
View Quote

What, you aren't aware of either the BAE 12um or the FLIR Quarks???

Well, at least 12 microns is getting closer to the ledge of no return....
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:00:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rant over

;)

Oh come now, you aren't that dense are you? He was referring to the comment about the video cable.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:19:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Oh come now, you aren't that dense are you? He was referring to the comment about the video cable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rant over

;)

I am pretty dense, you mean the optional video cable you have to pay extra for to take videos with?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:27:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:02:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:23:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:51:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I am pretty dense, you mean the optional video cable you have to pay extra for to take videos with?
View Quote

I hear they let just about anyone teach Molecular Genetics at UF. Low standards, and all that.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:50:01 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

"Optional Video Cable"?

What is up with that?
View Quote

I never understood this either.  It would seem like a win win situation to include a cable and watch all the youtube videos pour in for free advertising.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:54:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Vic, you sure the display resolution is only 640x480?  It looks better than that from the pics.

Anyone get eyeball time behind these vs ThORs vs FLIR RS line?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 6:35:37 PM EDT
[#17]
The display is digitally driven direct from core/sensor.  No conversion therefore a technically "pure" image.

I have zero time behind the FLIR but -

Comparing to a THOR you have to factor that the Ir Defense is a fixed focus system with digital focus control (DFC) while the Thor is manually focused by the front lense.

The clarity of the image is sharper with the manal focus systems, no question.

HTXH
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:44:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I never understood this either.  It would seem like a win win situation to include a cable and watch all the youtube videos pour in for free advertising.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
"Optional Video Cable"?

What is up with that?

No joke, a good video cable is an important asset as all those who take videos know all too well, having it tacked on as an optional accessory just does not make any sense....
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:47:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I hear they let just about anyone teach Molecular Genetics at UF. Low standards, and all that.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I always wondered why these Rhodes Scholars from Oxford, the University of London, and the Pasteur Institute come all the way across the pond just to "learn basic science" here in our laboratory?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:49:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:16:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

That is what we're told....  Going have eyeballs behind one tomorrow night, I will let you know what I see real time.  

Vic
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Vic, you sure the display resolution is only 640x480?  It looks better than that from the pics.

That is what we're told....  Going have eyeballs behind one tomorrow night, I will let you know what I see real time.  

Vic

I've got half a dozen four hundred pound boars that I could use a hand stalking at night, Vic.....I'll try to save a couple for you and Donovan to take out with your new thermal gear, Donny can't miss an eight foot long boar hog.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:17:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:56:26 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Ha, copy on all!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Vic

I've got half a dozen four hundred pound boars that I could use a hand stalking at night, Vic.....I'll try to save a couple for you and Donovan to take out with your new thermal gear, Donny can't miss an eight foot long boar hog.

Ha, copy on all!

Can I come if I bring beer and some ThOR's for comparison.  Night time season just closed in Louisiana.  :(
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:19:22 PM EDT
[#24]
That would be interesting for sure, I certainly could utilize some of your outstanding expertise, your the only one I know that hunts boars bare footed with knives and spears after spotting them with a gyrocopter!
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:30:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Its a fixed wing but no matter. PM me if you want company.  :D
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:46:50 PM EDT
[#26]
PM sent....
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 9:39:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Wow, the images from these look incredible!  Great contrast and really crisp.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 11:10:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Wow, the images from these look incredible!  Great contrast and really crisp.
View Quote

They're beginning to look almost as good as the .MIL displays. Almost.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 11:26:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

And dump the proprietary, internal battery.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 11:37:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Yep from what I've seen on the market the last few years get rid of the small LCD's and go all OLED it makes a huge difference in picture contrast/clarity.Speaking for myself I think I am done buying any thermal without a OLED in the future. To me  its like buying a neutered steer calf to breed your cows
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 7:36:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Question about the "system requires 1x day optic magnification" tidbit from page 1, does this mean that it would only function as a clip-on with a unity red dot/holographic sight or a 1-whatever scope or am I reading that wrong?  Those images look VERY nice, especially for the $, but don't think I would want to be limited to 1x.  In a world where a riflescope/clip-on with a 12um 640x480 BAE sensor and OLED display exists, I can't imagine the FLIR RS line posing much competition especially considering the prices.  Maybe there is a serious rebuttal coming from FLIR soon?  My goodness I love that there is finally competition in this arena...  lower prices and better equipment for all of us
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 10:12:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Question about the "system requires 1x day optic magnification" tidbit from page 1, does this mean that it would only function as a clip-on with a unity red dot/holographic sight or a 1-whatever scope or am I reading that wrong?  Those images look VERY nice, especially for the $, but don't think I would want to be limited to 1x.  In a world where a riflescope/clip-on with a 12um 640x480 BAE sensor and OLED display exists, I can't imagine the FLIR RS line posing much competition especially considering the prices.  Maybe there is a serious rebuttal coming from FLIR soon?  My goodness I love that there is finally competition in this arena...  lower prices and better equipment for all of us
View Quote

I am also interested in the list of comparable optics
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 3:06:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Pricing?
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 6:17:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 6:23:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I like the idea of "back up dots" with magnified day/night optics is why TNVC designed and manufactured the SAR (Scope Accessory Ring) awhile ago.  The ability to mount an MRDS to the IR Hunter and a LaRue mount is a shooters think tank design and one that first intrigued us to start testing the MK1 line.  

Vic
View Quote

Any way to put a piece of picatinny for an IR laser where that RDS is?

Pricing?
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 6:32:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 8:23:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

We got  that taken care of!

Vic
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
"Optional Video Cable"?

What is up with that?

Vic

+1 - see how that works!
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 9:11:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

+1 - see how that works!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
"Optional Video Cable"?

What is up with that?

Vic

+1 - see how that works!

No, not really - explain to us how your comment of no video cable resulted in it becoming a reallity

AND THEN

Show us your true mystic powers by asking "what no DVR, included?"

Link Posted: 9/4/2014 9:49:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

No, not really - explain to us how your comment of no video cable resulted in it becoming a reallity

AND THEN

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
"Optional Video Cable"?

What is up with that?

Vic

+1 - see how that works!

AND THEN

LOL, you just have not quite made it to Internet Special Forces Keyboard Commando Special Forums Operator Delta status as of yet....

Keep trying though, you'll make it!
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 10:24:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL, you just have not quite made it to Internet Special Forces Keyboard Commando Special Forums Operator Delta status as of yet....

Keep trying though, you'll make it!
View Quote

Your response doesn't clarify how you pulled this off but whatever no more irrelevant remarks about it, let's move forward to a serious question.

The video cable, what termination will it have on it and are there any recommended DVRs for ease of use with said termination plug?
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 1:24:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 1:46:16 PM EDT
[#42]
What base magnification were these taken from - thx
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 1:51:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 3:31:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Very nice, thanks for the pictures!
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 2:23:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 11:31:26 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 3:12:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 3:37:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Is this core in production now? BAE stopped by our booth at Shot Show and showed us this prototype core and they were looking for a major company to partner up with so they can send this core to production. As of what I have heard in the industry, they are still not in production.

Vic,
Could you verify this?

Thanks!
View Quote

http://www.baesystems.com/cs/groups/public/documents/document/mdaw/mtg5/~edisp/baes_166807.pdf

http://www.baesystems.com/product/BAES_167267/twv640-thermal-camera-core?_afrLoop=204552155732000&_afrWindowMode=0&_afrWindowId=13uj3qpffj_1#!%40%40%3F_afrWindowId%3D13uj3qpffj_1%26_afrLoop%3D204552155732000%26_afrWindowMode%3D0%26_adf.ctrl-state%3D13uj3qpffj_65
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 3:59:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 4:02:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Sweet, fireproof AND waterproof, can't beat that!

I kid, I kid. That is impressive. I hope the size of the core is an indication as to the overall size and weight of the monocular!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 21
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top