Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 14
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 1:41:07 AM EDT
[#1]
They say it requires OTG capability. However, I tried it on an el cheapo $40 Azpen 7" tablet and it worked. The problem is the tablet didn't have enough power to process the images fast enough. It displayed the images but refreshed at about one frame every 5 seconds. So, it appears it takes a bit of processing power to run it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 2:18:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They say it requires OTG capability. However, I tried it on an el cheapo $40 Azpen 7" tablet and it worked. The problem is the tablet didn't have enough power to process the images fast enough. It displayed the images but refreshed at about one frame every 5 seconds. So, it appears it takes a bit of processing power to run it.
View Quote

Good discover!  I also discovered that you can turn the lens for focusing.

I have a question.  Where are saved files stored in?  Mine saves to the phone memory.  How to change the save location?  My phone have 16gb of internal memory and I have a 32gb micro-SD.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 2:28:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Sorry to keep boring people with pics but I can't help it. It's too damn much fun. I love this thing. I haven't had this much fun in ages.

Oh no it's the police driving by! Will they create joinder?

Just a scan of the neighborhood. Interesting how the streets and driveways retain heat.

Link Posted: 9/5/2014 2:30:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I have a question.  Where are saved files stored in?  Mine saves to the phone memory.  How to change the save location?  My phone have 16gb of internal memory and I have a 32gb micro-SD.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've noticed the storage thing as well. I would like it to store to the card but it always goes to the device. In my Note 3 it went to the gallery but in the Moto G I had to hunt and finally found it in a separate app icon link to pictures. I might email them and see if there's a way to direct storage or maybe they can add that in a future update.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 9:26:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

No I just got back from Wal-Mart and bought a boost mobile Moto-G. It has no service and works fine. I had been using it with my Galaxy Note 3. The Note is awesome with the huge screen but I wanted something I could keep dedicated to the device so it's a grab and go type thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is from their web site:

Based on the Johnson’s criteria, equipped with the default 19mm lens, your Therm-App™ device can spot a moving human target  at up to 500 m (1640 ft.) and a moving vehicle target at up to 1500 m (4921 ft.).

Any problem with the phone not being activated / not having service?

No I just got back from Wal-Mart and bought a boost mobile Moto-G. It has no service and works fine. I had been using it with my Galaxy Note 3. The Note is awesome with the huge screen but I wanted something I could keep dedicated to the device so it's a grab and go type thing.

I mentioned this in the other thread, but try to make sure any android device you buy has a removable battery. extra capacity, double or even triple capacity batteries are really cheap on ebay and amazon

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 9:40:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I realized the Moto G didn't have a removable battery when I got home. The good thing is it doesn't really do too bad at all. I used it for several hours off and on last night and never ran it down. I downloaded an app called screen dimmer. That is super handy. It allows you to dim the screen in 1% increments to nothing if you want. That's handy if you are not wanting to be lit up bright at night and it saves power if you have an OLED screen. I didn't even use the dimmer last night but the battery held up well. I disabled all the screen swipe lock stuff and removed everything but the bare minimum with only the THERM-APP, screen dimmer and photo gallery icon on the home screen. It makes it super fast and easy to use when all you have to do it hit the button to turn it on. I found a small pelican case that I keep it in phone down so the lens is up with the plug out of the phone. I just grab it plug it in and hit the button and it's ready. During the down time I left the phone on with the screen off and it hibernated using very little power.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 2:08:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I never really got an answer to my question - or at least didn't understand the one provided. The 8hz refresh rate on this - is it choppy or is it smooth enough to walk around with?

My major complaint about the L3/Raytheon MX-1 lineup is that is was choppy but this was mostly because it paused every 5 seconds to recalibrate the device. This doesn't any kind of problem like that, does it?

Any major drawbacks? I already ordered mine, either way. I'm just wondering how this will rank against my ATN OTS-X.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 2:18:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Interesting, reminds me of the video game Call of Duty with the thermal image attached to your rifle. I think I could rig this up to my AR-15 side rail. This along with a PVS-14 and infrared laser and the pigs at night wouldn't stand much of a chance.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 2:30:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I never really got an answer to my question - or at least didn't understand the one provided. The 8hz refresh rate on this - is it choppy or is it smooth enough to walk around with?

My major complaint about the L3/Raytheon MX-1 lineup is that is was choppy but this was mostly because it paused every 5 seconds to recalibrate the device. This doesn't any kind of problem like that, does it?

Any major drawbacks? I already ordered mine, either way. I'm just wondering how this will rank against my ATN OTS-X.
View Quote

check out the videos mancow has been posting.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 2:35:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I have been - most are fairly stationary with the subject moving, not the camera moving.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 2:55:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have been - most are fairly stationary with the subject moving, not the camera moving.
View Quote

Interesting. I try walking with that either today or tomorrow.

https://vimeo.com/channels/799242/
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 3:21:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I wish they were better but the road had a high bank in the second video. I should have tried it in town and will later on.

Link Posted: 9/6/2014 3:41:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Looks like a snowstorm.

Link Posted: 9/6/2014 5:39:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I realized the Moto G didn't have a removable battery when I got home. The good thing is it doesn't really do too bad at all. I used it for several hours off and on last night and never ran it down. I downloaded an app called screen dimmer. That is super handy. It allows you to dim the screen in 1% increments to nothing if you want. That's handy if you are not wanting to be lit up bright at night and it saves power if you have an OLED screen. I didn't even use the dimmer last night but the battery held up well. I disabled all the screen swipe lock stuff and removed everything but the bare minimum with only the THERM-APP, screen dimmer and photo gallery icon on the home screen. It makes it super fast and easy to use when all you have to do it hit the button to turn it on. I found a small pelican case that I keep it in phone down so the lens is up with the plug out of the phone. I just grab it plug it in and hit the button and it's ready. During the down time I left the phone on with the screen off and it hibernated using very little power.
View Quote

Mancow, good idea with the screen dimmer ap. Looks like all therm ap owners would like to have this ap, adjustable brightness was one of my main concerns and the extended battery life will be nice.

Seems like you are having a good time with your new toy. Can't wait to get mine. I think it performed pretty good on your video from the moving car. Looks like it will be a good critter detector, while rolling through the woods during the night.

Link Posted: 9/6/2014 8:10:29 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm having a hell of a good time with it. I like the ergonomics. It's so light and the carry handle is nice. You don't get fatigued using it at all.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 12:30:17 AM EDT
[#16]
So, plugged it in and done runned a vid'yo just for kicks.

Check out the resolution (beard) and sensitivity (inhale / exhale and the "hot" airstream).

DoubleStuff the sexy man-beast-lard-ass, over and out!

Link Posted: 9/7/2014 1:02:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Check out the resolution (beard) and sensitivity (inhale / exhale and the "hot" airstream).

http://youtu.be/dYliW3BQ720
View Quote

I think i'm going to be sick....
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 10:42:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ok, here's your answer.  Me walking around at night "Checking for lurkers in the parking lot".

https://vimeo.com/channels/799242/105477862

Link Posted: 9/7/2014 11:10:19 AM EDT
[#19]
I wonder how open they are, if at all to feature requests? I would like to see an invert black white option. Maybe the invert could be swipe left or right.

Also I would like the option to enable audio with the video.

What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 11:53:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Yep. It would be nice if the night vision can be switch between white hot and black hot.  But I will pass on the audio part. Audio will swell up the file size.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 8:35:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was it the tongue?  
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 8:49:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Was it the tongue?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was it the tongue?  

Im just glad it doesnt record sound. Slurp slurp would be too much.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 9:14:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Ok, here's your answer.  Me walking around at night "Checking for lurkers in the parking lot".

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

that looks really good. so does the video of traffic.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 11:16:37 PM EDT
[#24]
The resolution on this looks pretty good. The way the video kind of distorts while walking around is what my concern was. Feels kind of like drunk vision. Lol

It doesn't seem too bad though. Seems really impressive for the price.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 12:12:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The resolution on this looks pretty good. The way the video kind of distorts while walking around is what my concern was. Feels kind of like drunk vision. Lol

It doesn't seem too bad though. Seems really impressive for the price.
View Quote

I must say it does looks kinda funky.  It was the first time I walk around with it.  My reaction was like "hmm..." too.  But than again, it is a damn good tool for stationery scanning and observation.  Still better than Flir One.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 9:58:01 AM EDT
[#26]
So why does it have to be 8.7 Hz? I understand that's the limit for export but we aren't exporting them. We are end users. Is there any reason they couldn't offer firmware updates for US customers to push it to 30 Hz?
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 12:14:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
So why does it have to be 8.7 Hz? I understand that's the limit for export but we aren't exporting them. We are end users. Is there any reason they couldn't offer firmware updates for US customers to push it to 30 Hz?
View Quote

As long as it's not hardware-limited, I don't see why not.

A few ISSUES / REQUESTS on the software:

(1) Reversible Polarity
(2) Screen Rotation
(3) MANUAL RECALIBRATION (!!!)
(4) Audio-Record OPTION
(5) FILE SAVE LOCATION

DESIGN & OTHER ISSUES:

(1) The 19mm lens extends BEYOND the metal rim / shroud. This is a DISASTER waiting to happen! No lens cap is included, either, so it's DIY all the way.
(2) How about some 90* ANGLED CABLES?!?!? DOH! Even the longest included cable has lateral stress because of the NO SCREEN ROTATION ability in software!

I'm sure other issue will arise as I use it more, but those are the glaring ones I've encountered in 24 hours of use.

Link Posted: 9/8/2014 12:34:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

(1) Reversible Polarity
(2) Screen Rotation
(4) Audio-Record OPTION
(5) FILE SAVE LOCATION

DESIGN & OTHER ISSUES:

(1) The 19mm lens extends BEYOND the metal rim / shroud. This is a DISASTER waiting to happen! No lens cap is included, either, so it's DIY all the way.
(2) How about some 90* ANGLED CABLES?!?!? DOH! Even the longest included cable has lateral stress because of the NO SCREEN ROTATION ability in software!

I'm sure other issue will arise as I use it more, but those are the glaring ones I've encountered in 24 hours of use.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

(1) Reversible Polarity
(2) Screen Rotation
(4) Audio-Record OPTION
(5) FILE SAVE LOCATION

DESIGN & OTHER ISSUES:

My main issue is screen rotation.  Cable is too short for Xperia Z.  The usb point on Xperia Z is by the side (length of the phone).  When I power off, I would like to unplug from the phone.  It is too stress out to move an inch.  I need to flip the Xperia around.  I prefer to delicate my Xperia Z instead of my S3 because of it's processor power and screen size.

Link Posted: 9/8/2014 12:45:07 PM EDT
[#29]
The Horta, I don't see the resolution specs on the thermal sensor.
For the same price, FLIR E4 is available (80X60) and no need for smart phone. Have you compared them?.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 12:48:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
For the same price, FLIR E4 is available (80X60) and no need for smart phone. Have you compared them?.
View Quote

There is a youtube review of the E4 and it looks to have similar performance to the Flir one.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 1:11:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

No comparison -- the Therm-App has a native sensor resolution of 384px x 288px -- even higher than a PS32 or L3 x320.

It's essentially an HD19s, with lower refresh.

Link Posted: 9/8/2014 5:58:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Thanks. That is impressive.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 10:34:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

(1) Reversible Polarity
(2) Screen Rotation
(4) Audio-Record OPTION
(5) FILE SAVE LOCATION

DESIGN & OTHER ISSUES:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

(1) Reversible Polarity
(2) Screen Rotation
(4) Audio-Record OPTION
(5) FILE SAVE LOCATION

DESIGN & OTHER ISSUES:

I agree with all of those. We should ask them what they think.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 11:24:02 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

There is a youtube review of the E4 and it looks to have similar performance to the Flir one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is the current batch of E4 still hackable? Thinking of getting one........
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 11:28:39 AM EDT
[#35]
The E4 is still in the lineup with MSRP below a thousand dollars.
P&R Infrared in Beaverton, OR had one last time I dropped in. They have been very nice to me.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 12:02:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Just curious how long it took for Therm-app to ship your device? I only ordered a week ago but did they give you a tracking number or did it pretty much just show up at the door?
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 12:05:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Just curious how long it took for Therm-app to ship your device? I only ordered a week ago but did they give you a tracking number or did it pretty much just show up at the door?
View Quote

It took about 10 exactly 14 calendar days from order (Aug 18) before I received an order update with tracking included (Sept 1). The unit arrived a couple of days later, with no customs delay (Sept 3).

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 12:38:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

It took about 10 exactly 14 calendar days from order (Aug 18) before I received an order update with tracking included (Sept 1). The unit arrived a couple of days later, with no customs delay (Sept 3).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

thanks. You should post an in depth review of yours so I can live vicariously through you.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 1:50:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Not sure if you said this but you can swipe down from the top the screen to change the color pallets on the go and while recording video.   This thing rocks.

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 2:21:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Not sure if you said this but you can swipe down from the top the screen to change the color pallets on the go and while recording video.   This thing rocks.

View Quote

Yes, but we'd like to be able to reverse polarity -- prettymuch like you can in every other thermal device ever manufactured.

Kinda odd that they didn't include that. Jews usually think of everything!

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 2:29:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Could be reverse polarity is not kosher?
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 2:39:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 2:52:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Some pics inside my computer to give you guys an idea what the different screens look like and what they may be good for.

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 2:55:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Just got a email stating my therm app was released from the FDA, who thought it was some sort of medical device and detained it.
Roy from therm app managed to get them to release it. Roy is very prompt to answer all emails, usually within minutes (when during their business hours) and he provides some of the best customer support that I ever experienced. Fed ex has not given a estimated arrival date, but I'm thinking it will be here by the end of the week. Looking forward getting this thing out in the woods for some nighttime critter detection.

Mancow, was it you that bought a cheap phone from walmart, to be dedicated for the therm app?  Any advice as to which one I should buy or what to look for?
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 3:06:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Id say get the best phone you can buy,  It seems to run smoother on my Galaxy note 3 than the wifes s3,  but you can pick up s3's on ebay fairly cheap,  Find one that is locked or on a dead account that is not worth anything.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 3:08:26 PM EDT
[#46]
I just ordered the 6.8mm lens from Therm-App / OPGAL -- but get this...

Shipping of the whole Therm-App imager via FedEx was $60.

Shipping of the tiny 6.8mm lens via the same is $70.  

ETA:  OPGAL is *very* responsive and, without my request, sent me an update informing me that the shipping was in error and they have refunded more than HALF of that charge.

Any emails I have sent to them have been addressed very quickly! I sent the wish list to them for software improvements and they're already working on including some of those in the next iteration of the TA app. They also seem to have switched to 90* cables on new shipments and for those of us who have the straight cables OPGAL will be sending me a small batch of 90* cables at NO CHARGE.

I will freely mail them to anyone here with a Therm-App who received theirs with straight cables. Just IM or email me with your mailing address and I'll send a set once I receive them.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 3:16:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Id say get the best phone you can buy,  It seems to run smoother on my Galaxy note 3 than the wifes s3,  but you can pick up s3's on ebay fairly cheap,  Find one that is locked or on a dead account that is not worth anything.
View Quote

I picked up an HTC One 32GB for $250 on Amazon -- new condition, fully UNLOCKED!

My first Android.

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 3:25:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Ordered on the 25th, received it today. I already used it to determine if it was burned out tubes, or burned out ballast on some fluorescent fixtures on the warehouse ceiling 25ft. high. And these were electronic ballasts with very minimal heat signature and I was able to see the difference. One note though, that Horta mentioned, the lens extends beyond the shroud. Something needs to be done about this ASAP. It's too easy to subconsciously set the phone down on the lens, and I don't know how easy it is to scratch, but I can see this becoming a major problem.

My phone had 3 cables included, all of which had the plug on one end that was at a 90 degree angle so the cable doesn't hang out as much as shown in the picture on their website.

ETA:

Photo showing the slight white bloom from a working ballast.

Photo showing a completely dead fixture.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 3:49:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I just ordered the 6.8mm lens from Therm-App / OPGAL -- but get this...

Shipping of the whole Therm-App imager via FedEx was $60.

Shipping of the tiny 6.8mm lens via the same is $70.

View Quote

Let us know how it works out.  If its great.  I'd be willing to do a group buy and ship from the states.  We could all eat the cost of the shipping and save us some cash?
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 4:02:20 PM EDT
[#50]
that shipping rate doesn't surprise me with it being international.
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top