Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 14
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:28:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

you still need a touch screen to control the therm-app, no?

I think a better idea would be a "case" shaped like a flir e4. handgrip, mount for the therm app on front, mount for a phone as a display, and a "hood" with a viewfinder

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Has anybody thought about using Therm-app + Android Stick + mini monitor to make a thermal monocular?  In other words, I would like to mount TA at the end of the monitor (see link below), then connect the TA to Android Stick.  From Android stick, a HDMI to RCA then plug into monitor.

I wanted to hear what you guys think before I commit to this project.  (I plan on getting TA regardless)

Android Stick
http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/mini-pcs/rk3188-android-mini-pc

1.5" monitor
http://www.ebay.com/itm/291289359647?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

you still need a touch screen to control the therm-app, no?

I think a better idea would be a "case" shaped like a flir e4. handgrip, mount for the therm app on front, mount for a phone as a display, and a "hood" with a viewfinder

Duh, you are correct.   I guess a wireless mouse would work, but it wouldn't be as portable.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 9:20:39 AM EDT
[#2]
http://gizmodo.com/5977938/suction-cup-viewfinder-makes-your-iphone-slightly-more-dslr-like

something like this...

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 10:40:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
http://gizmodo.com/5977938/suction-cup-viewfinder-makes-your-iphone-slightly-more-dslr-like

something like this...

View Quote

Not that it would be worth strapping this whole thing to your face but...

http://www.samsung.com/global/microsite/gearvr/gearvr_features.html
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 11:12:10 AM EDT
[#4]
My friend is using DSLR viewfiner on his Therm-App. I haven't get mine yet.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 8:25:04 PM EDT
[#5]
For anyone looking for a cheap phone.

Best buy has some early black friday deals. Samsung s3 for 79 and an htc desire for 29. Both no contract phones.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/misc/my-best-buy-early-access/pcmcat287300050012.c?acampID=0&id=pcmcat287300050012&ref=8575135&loc=0&CampaignID=650199
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 11:24:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I got an email from Thermapp saying the $999 promo is coming to a close on December 1st.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 12:56:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Dmn that soon huh.....trying to get the scratch together to grab one of these
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 1:00:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I got an email from Thermapp saying the $999 promo is coming to a close on December 1st.
View Quote

Yeah, I recall getting that too. I think it is going back up to $1600.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 1:09:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dont know if i would have bought this at $1600. For a little more i can get an ots-x. I like the pricepoint between $999-$1200.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 5:15:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Getting ready to bite the bullet and grab one of these.... Can anyone tell me how the refresh rate is...what I mean is if your panning the camera left and right is it choppy or smooth?
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 5:19:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Getting ready to bite the bullet and grab one of these.... Can anyone tell me how the refresh rate is...what I mean is if your panning the camera left and right is it choppy or smooth?
View Quote

It is smooth, but distorted. You need to read through the thread, because it is completely explained earlier in the thread.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 5:36:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It is smooth, but distorted. You need to read through the thread, because it is completely explained earlier in the thread.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.... Been trying to get through all 18 pages, have been watching the videos as well. It seems most of the vids are stationary camera and moving subject... Didn't see many with the camera moving.

ETA--Looks like page 3 has some video with movement of the camera. Looks pretty good
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 8:27:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Fellas, I owned a Flir PS24 for a short period of time, I wasn't too impressed and sold it off rather quick after recieving it,

Is this device a night and day difference for those of  you who have expierenced it?

I'm at a crossroads....buy this or pick up a ATPIAL C to go with my anvis tubed pitbull.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 9:05:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Fellas, I owned a Flir PS24 for a short period of time, I wasn't too impressed and sold it off rather quick after recieving it,

Is this device a night and day difference for those of  you who have expierenced it?

I'm at a crossroads....buy this or pick up a ATPIAL C to go with my anvis tubed pitbull.
View Quote

Therm-App absolutely **CRUSHES** any FLIR PS24 or PS32 in IQ. It's so much better it's not even funny.

I've owned both.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 9:29:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Therm-App absolutely **CRUSHES** any FLIR PS24 or PS32 in IQ. It's so much better it's not even funny.

I've owned both.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've owned both.

Thanks Horta......I've seen the gear you run and appreciate your input.....I'm gonna give this a shot.., appreciate the input
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 5:57:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Just placed my order, anyone know if these will work on tablets?  Something like this.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/digiland-7-dual-core-tablet-8gb-black/8610189.p?id=1219354101923&skuId=8610189

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 8:41:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Just placed my order, anyone know if these will work on tablets?  Something like this.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/digiland-7-dual-core-tablet-8gb-black/8610189.p?id=1219354101923&skuId=8610189

View Quote

not sure if that version of android will run it...but you will need a phone size device to mount the therm-app for sure unless you plan on just running a USB cable from device to the thermapp on a tripod.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 11:14:12 PM EDT
[#18]
For the people who ordered one, how long did it take for you to get tracking info / ship out? Placed my order a few days ago, so the waiting game begins.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 12:23:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
For the people who ordered one, how long did it take for you to get tracking info / ship out? Placed my order a few days ago, so the waiting game begins.
View Quote

I think when I ordered mine I got tracking info within a week or so. I was actually really impressed at how quickly it came from Israel to CA

Link Posted: 12/2/2014 10:20:28 AM EDT
[#20]
If anyone is looking for a 6' USB Micro-B to Micro-B, this one wook great.

http://www.usbfirewire.com/Parts/rr-mcbmcb-xxg5x.html#RR-MCBMCB-72GX5
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 12:43:37 AM EDT
[#21]
I am kicking myself for missing the special price cutoff.    
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 4:55:46 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah, me too. I was traveling and didn't realize the price was increasing. On the up side, I don't have to make a buy decision because $1600 puts it out of consideration.

Link Posted: 12/4/2014 5:52:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Yeah, me too. I was traveling and didn't realize the price was increasing. On the up side, I don't have to make a buy decision because $1600 puts it out of consideration.    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah at that price I start leaning towards a dedicated unit.  But the system seems pretty impressive from the videos everyone has been posting.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 5:57:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Yeah at that price I start leaning towards a dedicated unit.  But the system seems pretty impressive from the videos everyone has been posting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

it's nice but $600 is a huge price jump in my opinion. For $1600 it should come with a phone, the 6.8 lens, and a nice carrying case.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 9:08:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

it's nice but $600 is a huge price jump in my opinion. For $1600 it should come with a phone, the 6.8 lens, and a nice carrying case.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or at least the 6.8 lens, minimum. A 60% price increase is pretty steep, but I will admit they were completely open about it long in advance.

It's still *easily* worth $1600. A PS32 and x320 are nearly double that, and it's better in some ways.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 10:38:28 PM EDT
[#26]
I love my ThermApp, but at $1600 I'd have probably been leaning toward a dedicated unit too.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 6:01:42 AM EDT
[#27]
I am a new member here but have been lurking for a while. The early reviews posted here are what triggered me to get my Therm-App back in October.

I have been trying different configurations for the Thern-App (including VERY long USB leads) and plan to try it in due course with a Creator CI20 (like a turbocharged Raspberry Pi) running Android to see if that will work. I'm thinking along the lines of using a small HDMI monitor plus a small mouse to make an installable thermal CCTV system.

So far I have been very impressed with the IQ of the Therm-App, particularly as a photographic tool, and run a user group on Flickr where people have been putting their best images and videos. Anyone is welcome to join and post. There are a few guest images from other cameras for comparison. The main limitation I find with using the Therm-App for this is the wobbly lens, leading to blurry images. The resolution, whilst not the greatest, is much better than a VHS video - and for years we all thought that was fine.

I have the 19 and 6.8mm lenses and one of the things I have been experimenting with is using different optics, mostly by picking things up off eBay.  So far have found a lens that works as a wide-angle adapter for the 6.8mm (making it VERY wide!). Others have been less successful so far, partly because of not being able to screw the lenses into the Therm-App housing. Possibly the most interesting experiment so far was coupling the Therm-App sensor to an astronomical telescope, giving the equivalent of a 500mm lens. The trouble is that it was about f/8, meaning that images are quite dim. Has anyone else done much tinkering like this?
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 11:52:28 AM EDT
[#28]
I think the right pricepoint is somewhere between $1200 and $1300. At $1600, it just makes more sense to get a dedicated unit strictly for resale.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 2:27:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted: Possibly the most interesting experiment so far was coupling the Therm-App sensor to an astronomical telescope, giving the equivalent of a 500mm lens. The trouble is that it was about f/8, meaning that images are quite dim. Has anyone else done much tinkering like this?
View Quote

How? The T/A is a thermal camera. How could it see through telescope glass? Are there THERMAL astronomical scopes out there with 500mm objectives?
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 3:02:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Reflective optics such as I was using do not require glass in the optical path. The primary mirror is surface aluminised and reflects thermal energy reasonably well, bringing it into focus at much the same point as visible energy. Likewise the secondary mirror, also a first surface type, seemed fairly happy at the longer wavelengths.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 10:26:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I think the right pricepoint is somewhere between $1200 and $1300. At $1600, it just makes more sense to get a dedicated unit strictly for resale.
View Quote

I agree with you there. At $1600 I wouldn't have bought it and just saved up for a dedicated unit. I suspect that at $1600, their sales will taper off and they'll drop it back down again.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 11:21:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Reflective optics such as I was using do not require glass in the optical path. The primary mirror is surface aluminised and reflects thermal energy reasonably well, bringing it into focus at much the same point as visible energy. Likewise the secondary mirror, also a first surface type, seemed fairly happy at the longer wavelengths.
View Quote

Thanks for the explanation, so you basically remove the front glass? Or have a SC or other CAT-style scope without any front glass?
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 4:44:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Catoptric arrangements, like Newtonian and Cassegrain telescopes, do not require lenses to form a real image on a plane such as a microbolometer array. Catadioptrics, eg Maksutov telescopes, do have lenses (typically a thin 'corrector plate' at the front of the optical tube assembly.

Of course there is no reason why one shouldn't make a large refracting telescope out of germanium lenses - but if you could afford that, you'd probably be able to afford a somewhat more sophisticated detector than the Therm-App!

In my part of the world, overcast skies are very common and I don't get the chance to play with my telescopes as often as I might wish. However, on the next occasion that there is a combination of clear sky, half a moon and some spare time, I do intend to have another go at thermal imaging with a telescope. It looks as though the superresolution techniques I've started using on video from the Therm-App may well also be useful with moon-gazing.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 8:16:53 PM EDT
[#34]
I was dicking aroud at a RadioShack in Manhattan, KS today and found a 7" tablet for $50. So far it seems to work well with the Therm-App. The web page says $100 but they had a huge pile for $50. It's a tad slower than the phone when images move but seems to work pretty well so far. Now, mounting the device is another matter. I wish they had option larger bracket arms.

http://www.radioshack.com/nobis-nb07-7inch-quad-core-8gb-tablet-%28black%29/2504261.html#.VIY9nXrF8-k
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 11:58:08 AM EDT
[#35]
New ways to use the Thermal-APP, poor man's Thermal Scope

https://www.flickr.com/photos/129775729@N03/15982104071/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/129775729@N03/15798078689/
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 5:22:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

nice!
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 5:29:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

1) Your flip-caps should flip down.  

2) I have the KZ tripod picatinny mount and it works great too!
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 9:19:07 PM EDT
[#38]
My sister-in-law started a couple bee hives this past year. When she found out I bought a thermal camera she asked if we could use it to check on her bees in the winter. Apparently they cluster together to keep warm for the winter. The other day we had the opportunity to check them out. I had never seen inside of them, I actually assumed she'd be taking the lids off the hives. She said she shouldn't do that in the winter, she assumed I could just look at the hives from the exterior. I never thought that was going to work, but it did. The clusters must be right up against the walls.

This shows both hives from the front. You can obviously see the one on the right the cluster is apparently right up against the front wall. I was surprised at how distinct it was.

Here's a shot of the other hive from behind. The warm spot was a little more spread out, but it seems to be good enough evidence that the bees are still alive.

And here's one more shot of the hive seen in the first pic.

Link Posted: 12/9/2014 10:57:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Here are some pics of my 7" cheapo tablet setup. I was having a hard time coming up with a way to mount it since the bracket isn't large enough. I ended up using two plastic electrical box covers placed back to back to form a plastic phone shaped box. They are bolted together and it's held to the tablet by some industrial strength Velcro. It works really well, is very solid and can be removed easily so the only thing on the tablet is the soft Velcro stuff.

" />

" />

" />

" />

" />

" />

" />
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 11:46:54 PM EDT
[#40]
View Quote

Wow, that worked out pretty good. By any chance, did you happen to get any of the cords that have the plug at a right angle? I'm wondering if those might work better and have less strain on them.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 8:51:15 AM EDT
[#41]
No, I never received any of the angle cords and can't seem to find any anywhere.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 12:22:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
No, I never received any of the angle cords and can't seem to find any anywhere.
View Quote

I junked the single-angle cords I received. They all FALL OUT of the unit, and only one end was angled. I'll get the link, but there are dual-angle cords that are like $10 shipped that work GREAT!
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 2:18:12 PM EDT
[#43]
HERE YOU GO

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301228419677?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

HERE IS A 6' CABLE

http://www.usbfirewire.com/Parts/rr-mcbmcb-xxg5x.html
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 3:43:22 PM EDT
[#44]
View Quote

Mancow, that's pretty sweet. Some good Southern engineering

" />

Is this one of the thermography screens? Seems different than mine
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 4:33:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Digital Zoom would be nice in the future software releases.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 4:36:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Digital Zoom would be nice in the future software releases.
View Quote

there is a digital zoom. You just "pinch" your fingers on the screen.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 1:24:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Need Help......

Just got my therm app n.

Using a htc desire 510-  Android 4.4.2 on the suggestion of one of the members who posted it as a Black Friday deal from best buy.

I download the app. And attach the Camera and nothing happens. Reset the phone reinstalled the app. Still nothing.... Tried 2 sets of cables as well

Any ideas?
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 5:32:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Need Help......

Just got my therm app n.

Using a htc desire 510-  Android 4.4.2 on the suggestion of one of the members who posted it as a Black Friday deal from best buy.

I download the app. And attach the Camera and nothing happens. Reset the phone reinstalled the app. Still nothing.... Tried 2 sets of cables as well

Any ideas?
View Quote

I would make sure the phones software is up to date, connect to wifi, and then plug the phone in. Therm-app should automatically start up.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 6:28:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I would make sure the phones software is up to date, connect to wifi, and then plug the phone in. Therm-app should automatically start up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Need Help......

Just got my therm app n.

Any ideas?

Yea tried evreything....decided to return the phone to best buy and pick up a moto G which on the therm app approved list. Works great now...unreal the quality for the price ...I had a flir ps24 and this thing makes that look like a toy.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 7:06:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Those of you using this for spotting during hunting.  How are you liking it?  What sort of range can you get for something like hogs?
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top