Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2014 3:32:31 PM EDT
I'm in search of a film to filter visible light from the screens of electronics, such as monitors, GPS, phone act... I've found a lot of options for polarizing privacy film but I have a feeling that won't eliminate much of the visible light transmitted through the screen at all angles. Any idea where to find something to eliminate your entire visible spectrum signature while allowing use through properly focused NVDs?
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 5:10:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm in search of a film to filter visible light from the screens of electronics, such as monitors, GPS, phone act... I've found a lot of options for polarizing privacy film but I have a feeling that won't eliminate much of the visible light transmitted through the screen at all angles. Any idea where to find something to eliminate your entire visible spectrum signature while allowing use through properly focused NVDs?
View Quote
Old 3.5" floppy disk do a very good job of filtering all but IR out. That said there is little to no IR in the average LED type screen. But a 3.5" floppies should be a cheap experiment, just remove from the jacket and cut to the desired size.

Edit; I don't think the 3.5" is right I am thinking of the older larger ones, but either will most likely work.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 9:19:41 PM EDT
[#2]
are you trying to make the lights invisible to everything except nv, or are you trying to protect your nv from those lights?

if its the former, this material is an excellent ir pass through filter and blocks visible light. its basically plexiglass and easy to work with, but its ridgid and not a film. this link will let you buy a sample size piece for just a couple dollars shipped. its enough to do several flashlights or one or 2 smartphones.
http://www.acrylite-shop.com/US/us/details.htm?$product=ghojzr93jwz~p

if you are trying trying to do the latter, there is a long thread on ir pass filters that thread onto a pvs14 that block most visible light but allow ir to pass through.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 5:32:07 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm trying to do the former but would rather not add a housing to alreayd water-resistant devices IOT use plexiglass. I saw some on youtube useing film negatives but it took several to do the trick and they aren't the right size.

I'm trying to reduce if not elliminate my perosnal vicible signature while still ebing able to navigate with handheld GPS, cover the preview screen of a camera for taking photos (could be done with tape I suppose) or even communicate via text with PDA/phone while under NVG without being easily detected.

I think i may have a lead on something, my unit started using the samsung galaxy PDAs and I hear they have a film sheet with them but nobody has tried it to see if it's packaging or if it is for NVG use.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 2:56:35 AM EDT
[#4]
There are theatrical 'gels' (light filters) that are big, thin and flexible, and pass IR (while blocking visible).  I don't have a link for you, though.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 4:49:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There are theatrical 'gels' (light filters) that are big, thin and flexible, and pass IR (while blocking visible).  I don't have a link for you, though.
View Quote

Rosco, GAM, and Lee are the big ones.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top