Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2014 12:41:11 PM EDT
Got my ITAL, oh about 2 hours ago.. was surprised to see the lens cover had an opaque disk in it instead of a neutral density filter.  What would that have cost them, another $3.. Anyway, I went to the basement to see how the bloom was and thought 'I sure could use a neutral density filter'.. I had already bought a NDF from TNVC a few weeks ago to make a filter for my Lasermax uni, so I held this in front of the ITAL and  "it's very nice" (said with Borat accent)

Sure would be nice if it was in the ITAL housing... so I swapped out the opaque disk for the NDF!

Turns out if you stick a small screwdriver between the halves of the plastic containing the lens, the two pieces separate.  So I popped open the NDF housing, and the ITAL lens cover housing.  The ITAL opaque disk was about .29" and the NDF was .35".. so started sanding.  Once the NDF fit into the little grooved segment in the ITAL housing I got out the E6000 glue and a toothpick and glued it back together.

Should work with an OTAL too...

Here's a pic of the opaque disk form the ITAL, and the two housing halves of the NDF cover.

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 1:05:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I would own several OTALs /ITALs if they had variable IR power or maybe a Filter like my D2
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 1:24:36 PM EDT
[#2]
This should serve as a good hi/lo power.. I've got to let the glue dry tonight, but will put it back on tomorrow night and see how it does.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 4:26:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice work! Been meaning to do that myself. I also don't understand why they didn't do it in the first place.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 12:01:22 AM EDT
[#4]
And to think that I once bemoaned the fact that my OTAL wasn't "full military power"...

The dang thing is too bright!
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 7:07:35 AM EDT
[#5]
I know, right.. I took it out last night (quite humid) and could see the beam for a good 200 yards and the spot EASILY at 400 yds (furthest object I see from the porch).  The glue seemed dry enough on the cover I installed the NDF in, so tried that, gave a nice dot on my 140yd steel with little to no blooming (also have 760nm filter on my PVS-14).  I have a feeling sighting in this one is going to be a breeze compared to the Lasermax Uni IR.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
And to think that I once bemoaned the fact that my OTAL wasn't "full military power"...

The dang thing is too bright!
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 5:09:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks, Gareth. Very helpful post! I just copied your idea into my OTAL this afternoon. Worked perfectly. I love the NV forum.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top