BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 11:10:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That's the tree I'm barking up. There were very, very few times we did entry with nods. There are so many advantages of using beastly white lights when you get indoors. There are times when it is necessary to use NODs while inside, but I cant think of a time when I would do that in an HD scenario. Patrolling the farm? Sure. Besides, I would look super goofy getting in to a gun fight in my underwear with a suppressed SBR, a helmet, and nods. I think I would look less goofy in the same outfit minus the helmet and nods.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The fact that guys in units that do this for a living typically stow their NODs and use white light when clearing buildings should be a clue...

That's the tree I'm barking up. There were very, very few times we did entry with nods. There are so many advantages of using beastly white lights when you get indoors. There are times when it is necessary to use NODs while inside, but I cant think of a time when I would do that in an HD scenario. Patrolling the farm? Sure. Besides, I would look super goofy getting in to a gun fight in my underwear with a suppressed SBR, a helmet, and nods. I think I would look less goofy in the same outfit minus the helmet and nods.

To quote a line from an old NV book
"Delta prefers to work with white light"
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 11:27:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Sure. Besides, I would look super goofy getting in to a gun fight in my underwear with a suppressed SBR, a helmet, and nods. I think I would look less goofy in the same outfit minus the helmet and nods.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The fact that guys in units that do this for a living typically stow their NODs and use white light when clearing buildings should be a clue...

Sure. Besides, I would look super goofy getting in to a gun fight in my underwear with a suppressed SBR, a helmet, and nods. I think I would look less goofy in the same outfit minus the helmet and nods.

You wear underwear to bed?

Pussy.

Operators go commando.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 1:27:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
if I'd had my mono that night I would have easily spotted those jokers, directed officers to their location, and recovered my property. instead, my stuff got pawned, the money spent on heroin, and one if the theives died frim an overdose. the other was caught on a warrant 2 months later and confessed to everything in a plea deal. he served 2 or 3 weekends. restitution payments eventually purchased my first mono. 7 years later he's violated probation many times, but twice because he still owes me $.
View Quote

This reminds me of the time I did use NV to help police. It was 1989 or so, I spotted a car parked along the road down from my house. Could not make anything else out. Did not see anybody, but I knew nobody had a reason to park there, so unless it was a breakdown, something was up. I had a NV device - a Javelin Electronics monocular, and I could see a guy running to/from a nearby house and loading the goods in his car. He was clever, entered from ROW side, had no lights on interior, and woods he ran through to the back of house were 10 feet away. Almost undetectable.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 2:10:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Pussy.

Operators go commando.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pussy.

Operators go commando.  

I actually laughed pretty hard at that.

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 3:37:36 PM EDT
[#5]
When I used to live in south Dallas I used it 4 times to check out the windows without turning on lights while armed.   Found 3 dogs and 1 pissed raccoon.  Located the commotion without ever being spotted until I yelled.  It is good for that, not for going after someone in your own house.  

South Dallas is the rough part of town in case some here didn't know.  Would hear gunfire 1-2x per week, one thing I never saw in 3 years was a cop.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 3:59:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Operators go commando.
View Quote

That in itself would likely be a good deterrent!
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:55:57 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pussy.

Operators go commando.  

I'll just leave this right here.  (not me)

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:57:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pussy.

Operators go commando.  

I'll just leave this right here.  (not me)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/1609955_770331636332909_8467842902990395645_n.jpg?oh=d43ff2f537c48523ad64df3132b07e8d&oe=545D13C6&__gda__=1415475207_97a1f93e58fb94769061dbd6a70efee9

Ahahahahahahaha! I wish I would have though of that first!
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 8:15:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Thank goodness for drawers!
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 8:59:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 9:41:13 PM EDT
[#11]
He stole my boots!

I guess that is what I get for not sleeping with NODs !
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 3:23:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you think it's still the same now that they use GPNVG-18's?
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 3:39:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm betting no one likes to work with a truck hanging off the front of their face.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 4:21:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Units that are issued 18's still don't use them all the time. There are certain tasks where more traditional NV is more beneficial.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 4:35:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Units that are issued 18's still don't use them all the time. There are certain tasks where more traditional NV is more beneficial.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

From what I understand extremely heavy units like he GPNVG-18 and PVS-21 are used for quick raids that will be done entirely in the dark (think famously the Bin Laden raid). Whereas -15s, -31s, etc... are more routinely used on longer missions or for general purpose NV needs.

It will be interesting seeing how these type of units advance in accordance with SWaP principles. They won't become more affordable, just more useful.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 8:36:05 AM EDT
[#16]
I love the discussion. Good information.

The field of view with a monocular would be terrible vs. going white light too. NVGs are for stealth approach to contact and then white light all the way (Thanks Chappy ).

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:47:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

This.

We live in a hurricane zone, and have experienced at least one event with extended power outages and associated "social anomalies".

For the typical HD scenario.... Glock, SureFire, and LEO next door on speed dial for much more expeditious response than 911.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Much like Joe, a big part of reason for owning and using NV gear for me - not to mention most of my gear is because I like having and using cool gear.  Besides that, I use it to keep my skills sharp and to be better prepared for my "part time" job.

That being said, a "civilian" application that I see as credible at least for some living in, say, a hurricane prone area.  If a bad enough storm hits and the power is out for a prolonged period of time, and law enforcement and emergency personnel are decisively engaged and spread thin, I could see NV capability being incredibly useful - perhaps not necessarily in the application of lethal force, but perhaps even in preventing it if conditions deteriorate to the point of quote "societal breakdown."  

In the case of a power outage - anything that you've spent on home security systems, NV capable or not, may be a moot point - and having lights blaring, ostensibly hooked up to a generator, may be as much of a liability as a benefit if you "over advertise."  

As for your "run of the mill" home invaders, I would agree with most that chances are, NV would most likely not into play in most scenarios.  

~Augee

This.

We live in a hurricane zone, and have experienced at least one event with extended power outages and associated "social anomalies".

For the typical HD scenario.... Glock, SureFire, and LEO next door on speed dial for much more expeditious response than 911.

Yup. We've had a number of weather events, from tornadoes to derechos over the past few years that have demonstrated pretty acutely the usefulness of NV. We were living in town at the time of the last event, and I would have felt a hell of a lot better being able to see without a light. Now we have a bunch of acreage, and it has all sorts of other uses (tracking deer, investigating 'bumps' in the woods, stalking to a treestand in the dark, etc.) For inside the house though, it's rifle + flashlight. Our house is small enough that I'd want to be fast as opposed to geared up. Plus, I don't want the police confiscating my NV in addition to my HD rifle
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:40:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

From what I understand extremely heavy units like he GPNVG-18 and PVS-21 are used for quick raids that will be done entirely in the dark (think famously the Bin Laden raid). Whereas -15s, -31s, etc... are more routinely used on longer missions or for general purpose NV needs.

It will be interesting seeing how these type of units advance in accordance with SWaP principles. They won't become more affordable, just more useful.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Makes sense to me! Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:03:31 AM EDT
[#19]
I would imagine that it depends on where you live. I would guess that from the standpoint of law, the more time you have to prepare, the lesser it makes sense that your life is in some danger. Of course one can argue that if someone is in your home, that it would mean that your life is in danger since you have no where else to retreat. However, some states have laws that protect individuals from harm, even in your own home, depending on the intention of the individual if they are there to steal property or if they are there to do actual harm to you. Coming home to find an intruder walking away with your TV isn't reason to shoot them, but in the same situation, if you caught them and they drop the tv and suddenly start digging into their shirt is certainly a very threatening situation.

For example, you hear a loud crashing sound at night, you grab your pistol with a light attached to it, and you shine it on and see someone in your house with a knife coming at you. You shoot, police comes and listen, chances are slim to none that you'd be prosecuted or charged with anything.

Second example, you hear a loud crashing sound at night, you turn off all the lights and put on your NV goggles, you go down, they can't see you, you can see them, you shoot anyway. Police comes over, finds out the man is drunk and thought it was his own home and they listen to how you "prepared" and you get arrested and thrown in jail. Prosecutors and jurors both agree that given the timeframe you had to prepare and the preemptive strike you did to a target that wasn't a clear threat and therefore a manslaughter. You get tossed in the slammer for 8 years.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:52:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I would imagine that it depends on where you live. I would guess that from the standpoint of law, the more time you have to prepare, the lesser it makes sense that your life is in some danger. Of course one can argue that if someone is in your home, that it would mean that your life is in danger since you have no where else to retreat. However, some states have laws that protect individuals from harm, even in your own home, depending on the intention of the individual if they are there to steal property or if they are there to do actual harm to you. Coming home to find an intruder walking away with your TV isn't reason to shoot them, but in the same situation, if you caught them and they drop the tv and suddenly start digging into their shirt is certainly a very threatening situation.

For example, you hear a loud crashing sound at night, you grab your pistol with a light attached to it, and you shine it on and see someone in your house with a knife coming at you. You shoot, police comes and listen, chances are slim to none that you'd be prosecuted or charged with anything.

Second example, you hear a loud crashing sound at night, you turn off all the lights and put on your NV goggles, you go down, they can't see you, you can see them, you shoot anyway. Police comes over, finds out the man is drunk and thought it was his own home and they listen to how you "prepared" and you get arrested and thrown in jail. Prosecutors and jurors both agree that given the timeframe you had to prepare and the preemptive strike you did to a target that wasn't a clear threat and therefore a manslaughter. You get tossed in the slammer for 8 years.
View Quote

This makes a lot of sense.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:48:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Who in the civilian world is engaging in lethal force incidents with their NODS??? Most of us are to busy looking at the night sky, wildlife, hunting, etc. I'd be more inclined to use NODS to avoid someone with ill intent than engage them.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:22:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe it makes sense in NJ, but in Texas and many other Castle Law states it is a good shoot and happens frequently, sans nods. Lots of shootings involve "preparing" Joe Horn, Carter Albrecht, etc. My preps would include get gun, flashlight, slip on shoes, put on glasses, lights are already off, move family members to safe room, pull up security cams on iphone, call 911, long before going down to investigate.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:21:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:Maybe it makes sense in NJ, but in Texas and many other Castle Law states it is a good shoot and happens frequently, sans nods. Lots of shootings involve "preparing" Joe Horn, Carter Albrecht, etc. My preps would include get gun, flashlight, slip on shoes, put on glasses, lights are already off, move family members to safe room, pull up security cams on iphone, call 911, long before going down to investigate.
View Quote

You just added facts that created a completely different situation than the one dalle0001 outlined.  No straw men here, please.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 8:12:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Who in the civilian world is engaging in lethal force incidents with their NODS??? Most of us are to busy looking at the night sky, wildlife, hunting, etc. I'd be more inclined to use NODS to avoid someone with ill intent than engage them.
View Quote

Don't forget walking the dog.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top