Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2014 6:32:06 AM EDT
Well, I've searched and searched and I can't seem to find a thread that pertains to my particular situation, so here goes.

I'm about to pick up my first PVS-14.  I'm going to be utilizing it on a helmet mount so I'll be purchasing a rifle mounted IR laser here shortly and I'm kind of stuck on where to go.  

My original idea was to go with the CQBL-1.  I like the slaved VIS/IR setup and it seems to be nice and low profile which is kind of what I was looking for.  My dilemma comes in here.  I have experience with Surefire's IR flashlights (primarily the M952V on my work rifle, it's paired with a PEQ-15) and I really like the fact that it has decent throw in IR mode.  

My current plan was to run an Insight WMX200 on my go to rifle (the IR-H model) mainly for the "it's different factor" but also somewhat because of the clone factor.  After doing some research it's seeming like the WMX200 doesn't have very good IR output (I think I read it had something to do with the IR LED being in front of the reflector) in anything outside of room clearing distances.  Basically it has a wide spill but doesn't get very far out there.

After reading this, I started possibly leaning towards picking up a DBAL-D2.  Figured for longer range outdoors target ID I could switch on the IR illuminator and do what I needed to do, and for everything else just use the WMX200.  To be honest though, the D2 seems to me to be way too damn bulky, which is what is making me hesitate.  It seems like a great IR laser, I just can't get over the fact of how fucking big the damn thing is.

Throw on top of this that I've seen some mentions from TNVC that there should be some new stuff coming out in the civilian IR market here very shortly and I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do.

So what do you guys think?  I really want an IR laser that has slaved VIS/IR, an IR illuminator that isn't the size of a hubcap, and relatively smaller profile (something closer to a PEQ-15 form factor.)  

Does anybody have any clues as to what may be coming out soon and when?  Will it include any of these features?  Am I worrying about nothing with just running the WMX200 and a CQBL?

Any and all help appreciated guys.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:43:52 AM EDT
[#1]
The thing about the WMX200 is that it's fundamentally designed to be paired with the ATPIAL (AN/PEQ-15 or LA-5/PEQ), which is why the IR illum is so "poor" compared to lights like the SF V-series.  

Insight assumes that if you're using the the WMX200 you're already using it in conjunction with a Class IIIb restricted laser illuminator, so the WMX200 is designed to "fill the gap" where it doesn't perform as well - namely as a closer range "flood"-ish kind of light, and it more bridges the gap between an incandescent with an IR filter, which it replaced, than it does as a stand alone IR illuminator.  

Unfortunately on the Class I side, there's not really an easily available option, as you've found out, for a single unit that gives you good, useable IR illum in a compact package, as Class I lasers don't appear to be powerful enough to generate the illumination, while LED based illuminators like on the DBAL-D2 are quite large in comparison.  

What you've discovered is why there are a lot of folks (myself included) who've kind of had their fingers crossed for a Class I ATPIAL, maybe with a variance for the illuminating laser for quite some time now, though I also wouldn't hold my breath for it, either.  

The DBAL-D2 looks to be the best "single package" in terms of capabilities, but once again, I agree with you that the size and additional weight of the illuminator is something of a "turn off," especially for the price.  

The CQBL offers a slaved laser in a nice, compact package, but cannot be offset, which some (myself included) are not terribly enthusiastic about.  

At the same time, all the teasing from industry insiders about "something awesome coming down the pipeline" is very nearly crippling when trying to make a decision about what to buy.  Y'all know who you are.  

If you must have slaved at this point in time, you may find that the CQBL is probably your best option, and just work around the lack of offset (if that's even important to you) and maybe couple it with an M300V - or it may be worthwhile to just wait and see what's coming on the slaved VIS/IR and Class I front, and roll with a low cost model like an OTAL, or even a Crimson Trace CMR-201 IR or LaserMax Uni-IR with a WL/IR capable light and see what the future has to hold.  

With all that, I definitely am after a WMX200 of my own at the moment though as I use an AN/PEQ-15 at my "part time job," but it may be a long while before I get my hands on another though, had to pass on a great deal a while back, and been kicking myself in the junk ever since.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:15:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, at this point I don't absolutely need an offset laser.  The rifle this is going on has a FF tubular style handguard so no issue with a FSB.  It doesn't even have BUIS at this point because it's got an Elcan which I have a lot of trust won't take a shit on me.  I may get BUIS in the future but in that case I can bump the CQBL forward on the 12 o'clock rail and mount a front sight behind it.

As to the WMX200 I'm still not sure.  I like my switch options and I want to give it a shot but I don't have it in my hands as of yet.  I guess after I get it I'll mount it on my work rifle and carry it around for a few nights just to get a feel for how it performs with NODs.  If it's not for me i can always pick up a Surefire unit.  Speaking of which, does anybody have any experience with the X300V?  Is it essentially the same as an M300V or M600V in terms of throw and spill?

What I'd really like is to be able to find a PEQ-15 for sale.  I really dont trust the eBay option though and I haven't found anything near local to me so I guess that's a pipe dream.  Either way, thanks for the help Augee.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:37:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah, at this point I don't absolutely need an offset laser.  The rifle this is going on has a FF tubular style handguard so no issue with a FSB.  It doesn't even have BUIS at this point because it's got an Elcan which I have a lot of trust won't take a shit on me.  I may get BUIS in the future but in that case I can bump the CQBL forward on the 12 o'clock rail and mount a front sight behind it.

As to the WMX200 I'm still not sure.  I like my switch options and I want to give it a shot but I don't have it in my hands as of yet.  I guess after I get it I'll mount it on my work rifle and carry it around for a few nights just to get a feel for how it performs with NODs.  If it's not for me i can always pick up a Surefire unit.  Speaking of which, does anybody have any experience with the X300V?  Is it essentially the same as an M300V or M600V in terms of throw and spill?

What I'd really like is to be able to find a PEQ-15 for sale.  I really dont trust the eBay option though and I haven't found anything near local to me so I guess that's a pipe dream.  Either way, thanks for the help Augee.
View Quote

The switchology of the WMX200 is frankly and honestly probably the most attractive feature of the light for me.  

If you look hard enough, I'm sure that you can probably find posts dating back to 2008 at least of me asking for a single click momentary, double click constant on "Insight-style" light.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:56:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Are you wanting a IR/white light combo or just IR?  If you only want IR, check out the Streamlight TLR 1 IR.  I have one that I use with my CQBL it is small and puts out a ton of light.  It has a similar throw to the 952V, but it is a lot brighter and goes further.  It's relatively cheap too compared to other IR light, I think it's like $145 at optics planet.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:06:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Are you wanting a IR/white light combo or just IR?  If you only want IR, check out the Streamlight TLR 1 IR.  I have one that I use with my CQBL it is small and puts out a ton of light.  It has a similar throw to the 952V, but it is a lot brighter and goes further.  It's relatively cheap too compared to other IR light, I think it's like $145 at optics planet.
View Quote

At this point I'm looking for a "one size fits all" solution.  I definitely want to have a white light and I'm not big on the D2 due to it's size and weight.  So that leaves me with needing a dual role weaponlight, something that AFAIK is only available with Surefire or Insight.  Unless of course I run two lights but that leads me to more weight and a tangled mess of activation buttons and switches, something I'm not entirely fond of.

At this point it's looking like I'll need to stick with a Surefire V-Series if I have any hopes of longer range PID when using NODs.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:17:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I know you are not a fan of the D2, but for long range ID "say through a CNVD-LR" it is amazing.

I always figured that for the weight of a CQBL-1 and any other illuminator you would have the same weight and less capabilities.

I own a few D2s

There is no perfect solution.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:32:33 PM EDT
[#7]
There is at least one way to legally acquire "your own" ATPIAL, if you're not happy with the current commercial offerings.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:22:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
There is at least one way to legally acquire "your own" ATPIAL, if you're not happy with the current commercial offerings.
View Quote

Yeah AFAIK that involves a private sale which you'll find on eBay or elsewhere.  The thought of dropping $2k on that sight unseen is not something I like.

I would entertain trying to pick one up locally but I've come up short finding one.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top