User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:29:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This is a good point.  There are lost model locators and other tracking devices that might be prudent here.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There is a big thread in general discussion on quad copters and drones. lots of knowledgeable people in there. the op of that thread just lost a drone to some mysterious flyoff phenomenon. it just decided to bug out in one direction and never stop. so do your research before strapping 40k to the bottom of one.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

This is a good point.  There are lost model locators and other tracking devices that might be prudent here.

There are other solutions as well which send telemetry back to he ground station.   This telemetry is fed into a smart phone or lap top and it will plot the aircraft in real time(or recorded on DVR) into google earth.

I have the ability with ImmersionRC gear to see my plane in real time on my smart phone with its telemetry.

This is hugely helpful for night flying as well as lost model recovery.

The tech that is out there is amazing and only getting better as long as FAA doesnt screw shit up.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:04:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The tech that is out there is amazing and only getting better as long as FAA doesnt screw shit up.
View Quote

Umm... it's the government. It's all they know how to do.

I really think they're going to drop the hammer on amateur / civilian FPV. The best-case "hammer" scenario is that they regulate RC / FPV like HAM, where every user needs to have at minimum a "Technician" license to fly in certain areas and under a certain altitude. After that additional, more comprehensive licensing will open up more areas and altitude. You'll get a designated operator number, like a HAM. Heck, you may even have to file "flight plans" online in advance with the FAA under your number.

That's the BEST-case scenario. We all know what the WORST-case would be, and I wouldn't put it past them.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:29:04 PM EDT
[#3]
And it likely wont change a damn thing.

The hobby is already prolific with people flying without a HAM license.   Why?   Because not a hell of a lot of the test even applies to the FPV stuff.   There are 2 maybe 3 questions pertaining to FPV for video transmission as well as permitting RC control over the frequencies.    Those who fly without a license are unlikely to be caught by Fox hunting HAMs, the flights are usually low enough power and happen so infrequently it isnt like they can coordinate quickly enough to find the spots these folks remotely goto.    As opposed to a jackass just firing up a station from his house and pissing everyone off being a dick, yeah Fox hunters find them quick.

All the HAM freq gear is sold with an advusory of complying with FCC/fed laws but the responsibility is on the buyer.

The laws wont prevent true evil mayhem from happening, it is damn garage/basement tech where an intelligent person can literally do crap like anything such as movie crap like The Jackal to strapping bombs something.

I am gonna wait and see but it isnt like I am flying RC or FPV at any of the local AMA clubs.     I am usually literally in the middle of nowhere and can see people coming from a LONG way off.     A lot of other responsible minded fpv are the same way.

Its the "hey mom thanks for buying me a quad" types that are going to draw attentiin to themselves.    My parents live at the beach and have had multiple quads flown over their heads.

I forsee municipal codes on use long before I see federal action.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:54:26 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I forsee municipal codes on use long before I see federal action.
View Quote

Federal action is already happening.  They just aren't advertising it all that much.

Everything below 1000ft and further than a mile from an airport should be municipal or private airspace.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 3:39:12 AM EDT
[#5]
An el-cheapo beamshot 1000 converted to IR is going to be substantially cheaper and lighter than a PEQ-15. I've built one using the guide buried somewhere in the archives here and it's pretty much just swapping out the vis laser diode for an IR laser diode, of which you can easily get 5mW or 10mW. I found the 904nm 5mW IR laser produced an excellent and easily visible (with NVG's) dot well past a mile.

Carrying it's own power source you'd only need to cut off the pressure switch and rig it up with a relay for the flight controls to switch on.

A pic of the one I built...

Link Posted: 10/7/2014 3:28:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 4:01:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes, but we have to keep it quiet for the moment due to the inclusion of certain things that could bring it to a screeching halt if openly publicized.

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 9:30:40 AM EDT
[#8]
I always thought that this would be a perfect application for a dirigible airship, if the ship's profile was low enough that the wind didn't toss it around. Mucho dwell time + hover capability.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 9:56:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yes, but we have to keep it quiet for the moment due to the inclusion of certain things that could bring it to a screeching halt if openly publicized.

View Quote

Is the rumor I have been hearing true that you trying to arm your drone?
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 10:05:21 AM EDT
[#10]
I attached most of those items to my Phantom Vision. It is more of proof of concept since it only has a 20 minute flight time. But I can cover most of my property in 20 minutes.

I have now backburnered the project until I get a UAV that can fly a pre-programmed course. I think the next generation of stuff from DJI will allow that.

I am also limiting budget to < $2500 to enhance the consumer appeal. Obviously I can do it if I throw enough money at it.

So my goal will be to fly pre-programmed course around my property, feeding back live video while also recording video. I can do that now but have to fly manually, which is risky at night when hard to see. I have to use landmarks on ground the FLIR sees in order to know where I am.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 3:16:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:07:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Badass idea
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:53:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Hey,
My personal preference would be to build a single rotor helicopter instead: I think they are simpler to maintain. Also, if you want to get into UAVs you'll probably need to learn how to fly them first (unless you already know). Its usually a good idea to buy something like the V911 Heli, or a similar grade quad-copter to practice. I also suggest a decent sim too so you can practice even more. Did I say you need to practice?

just be careful about advertising unsupervised operation of any UAV on public boards, as it could potentially lead to the FAA finding out and you could get in trouble. While unlikely, it is worth mentioning. Also, don't even consider arming your multi/heli UAV... people might not like to see an armed UAV equipped with night vision and FLIRs floating around their property; I know, its really cool, and its probably been done; but if the thing has a problem, you (or someone) could potentially get shot (and killed). AMA (and their supporters) might not see that well and state that you always need to have a human pilot behind the controls.

If you're interested in knowing more, let me know.

G.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 4:14:31 PM EDT
[#14]
I'll be posting video, but it will be private and will require a YT account and prior approval so as not to attract undue attention. It's been sucking a lot of my time, but the alpha version is pretty impressive -- though not without its hiccups.

Visible, i^2 and Thermal cameras, visible green "dazzler" / designator, IR laser, IR illuminator, all independently active, but on the same articulating gimbal.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 4:27:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Visible, i^2 and Thermal cameras, visible green "dazzler" / designator, IR laser, IR illuminator, all independently active, but on the same articulating gimbal.
View Quote

You really don't mess around do ya?  
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:55:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Count me in.  Sounds interesting. PM inbound
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top