Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/25/2014 2:27:26 PM EDT
I'm looking for the best quad or hexa-rotor coptor / remote for the following electronics package:

On a remotely articulating gimbal:

GoPro or MUVI for available-light video
FLIR M18 Recon or BAE UTM-x for 640 Thermal
PVS-14 (possibly with COTI) and iPhone/Camera attached to eyepiece.
PEQ-15 IR Laser / Illuminator.

The COTI may certainly be redundant, but I like the fusion capability. The PEQ (or other IR Laser/Illum) would be nice for clandestine designation and remote illumination, especially since I don't know how people would perceive visible lasers being shot from the sky. I was thinking Glare MOUT for optical disruption of two-legged feral species.  

Of course, we'd need three different video-out signals to accommodate each optic, plus input for firing the laser/illuminator(s) (both IR and / or visible), plus control of the gimbal.

I know most or all of this has likely been done by someone here already, and I have no experience with this but I'm catching the UAV bug and want to do it right the first time. Obviously whatever device needs to be able to handle the weight, as well as be able to fly a considerable distance from control, and stay aloft for the maximum amount of time, which presumably requires heavy batteries.

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 2:40:13 PM EDT
[#1]
In on this one.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 3:09:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I thought you were planning on using the therm app for that?
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 3:17:34 PM EDT
[#3]
In.

So.in.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 3:18:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Just masturbated!
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 3:21:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I think someone else was / is.

I'm going balls deep.

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 3:23:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'm going balls deep.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm going balls deep.

So it seems.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 3:55:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Horta,

This is the one I've been telling SkyPup we need:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ics6FSKNOk

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 4:11:53 PM EDT
[#8]
First things first did you pick up the UTM on Sat?

Second as to your latest endeavor, when you hear a knock on your door, well more like a pounding just know the people on the other side will have anywhere from three to as many as five letters on their jackets.

Any man who would fly that much cash in the sky wins at life
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 4:14:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah I been checking them out too! Just been wondering what would be the reaction people would get when it is in line at the drive threw with a two way radio so you can make a order.Can I take your order please,would love to see there faces. Might even pay for itself in the long run.Could you imagine a traspasser on your property and you sneak up behind him and yell out ok you rottin bass turd and have machine gun sounds going off.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 4:14:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Gadget to turn ATPIAL selection and hit firing button or remote cable switch would be pretty tricky.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 4:20:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Horta,

View Quote

Interesting. I was thinking of getting this Octacopter

The TurboAce looks awesome!
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 4:22:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Gadget to turn ATPIAL selection and hit firing button or remote cable switch would be pretty tricky.
View Quote

I was thinking just leave it on either low LAS or LAS+ILLUM and have only the "fire" rigged via the remote pad port.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 4:35:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Horta what you want to do is possible but won't be simple or cheap.  

The package you want to lift is at about 1150g or about 2.5 pounds based on some quick googling.  Basically you're looking to lift the same as a dslr and glass, very doable.  Depending on how much you want the project to become another hobby in and of itself, you've got yourself a few options as I see it from my experience.  

1. close to ready made
DJI s1000
Gimbal
You'd have to come up with a mounting platform to replace the dslr mount, but that shouldn't be too hard

2.build it yourself
Lots of options out there, but you're looking at something in the neighborhood of 400kv motors on 6s batteries and carrying between 8-12ah swinging 14-18" props.

Keep in mind, with anything that flies, weight is everything.  The lighter the package you want to carry, the longer it'll stay in the air.

I think this is a cool as hell project, and one I've been playing with for the last 6 months or so.  Just haven't been able to justify the cost of the themal units.  Something like the Flir Tau cameras would likely be a better option over the M18 to cut weight.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 4:35:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Horta,

The only thing i see wrong with that Octocopter is it really looks like one person is running the show there.  I would be very worried about eventual contact, troubleshooting or support issues.  The guys at Matrix build a lot of UAV's and seem to have a support and dealer network in place.  But there are some negative reviews of one of the Dealers named 'WOW' I think, so I would avoid purchasing a Turbo Ace through them if you eventually go that route.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 4:40:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 4:46:24 PM EDT
[#16]
I have no experience with FPV flying machines, but I do have a lot of experience reading about them online
I was going to get into that hobby, but then I decided to waste all of my money on night vision.  Tragic.

1: GoPros aren't the best cameras for FPV transmitting.  I don't know what is, but miniature security cameras are supposed to be pretty popular.
2: Either it's dark out when you're flying, or it's not.  No sense in carrying around a daylight and night time video setup
3: Iphones are heavy and expensive.  Use the miniature security camera behind the PVS14 at night, and take the PVS14 off for day time.
4: >I Think< current civilian available technology limits the transmitted picture to 300-400 by 200-300 pixels.  So a 640 thermal would be a waste of weight and money
5: You don't want three channels to transmit three video signals, you want one transmitter, and a box that decides which of the three videos to send to the transmitter, and that box is controlled by a switch at your controller.
6: Fixed wing will fly a lot longer than multi rotor for any given weight/battery combination.

Edit (and this should be obvious): Make sure that your flying machine works perfectly by flying it line of sight.  Then make sure that your video transmitters work perfectly in the day.  Then test your "Return to home" function if you have one.  Then when you are sure that your flying machine will come back to you, put your 10 grand worth of magic eyes on it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 4:56:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have no experience with FPV flying machines, but I do have a lot of experience reading about them online
I was going to get into that hobby, but then I decided to waste all of my money on night vision.  Tragic.

1: GoPros aren't the best cameras for FPV transmitting.  I don't know what is, but miniature security cameras are supposed to be pretty popular.
2: Either it's dark out when you're flying, or it's not.  No sense in carrying around a daylight and night time video setup
3: Iphones are heavy and expensive.  Use the miniature security camera behind the PVS14 at night, and take the PVS14 off for day time.
4: >I Think< current civilian available technology limits the transmitted picture to 300-400 by 200-300 pixels.  So a 640 thermal would be a waste of weight and money
5: You don't want three channels to transmit three video signals, you want one transmitter, and a box that decides which of the three videos to send to the transmitter, and that box is controlled by a switch at your controller.
6: Fixed wing will fly a lot longer than multi rotor for any given weight/battery combination.
View Quote

All great points. I was considering fixed-wing, but decided I wanted the ability to hover and move around close to trees, cover, etc, and set down if necessary.

Roger that on the GoPro. I know they're popular, but I'm sure there are better and lighter options.

Same with the PVS-14/Camera combination. I saw a recent post Goteron has some digital device over the eyepiece of one of his PVS units which I assume is for recording video. Something like THAT would be ideal.

I like the idea of being able to see all video feed simultaneously for a few reasons, rather than being forced to choose between them. Certainly, during the day, the PVS would not be necessary, but there are environments at night that are still visible to a regular camera and benefit from both i^2 and / or thermal as well.

I also like the idea of having a unidirectional or shotgun microphone that is part of the gimbal apparatus as well. Of course, a Rycote of something will be necessary to cut down on noise from wind / prop-wash.

I *hope* you're wrong on the maximum video broadcast resolution for FPV aerial.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 5:12:31 PM EDT
[#18]
I would think the MUM would be better than the 14 in this application, just due to the weight savings.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 5:18:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Did not Mr.. Bushman have a project like this actually flying and get shut down by the FAA?  

Vic
View Quote

Think he did.  Link

Not sure if same guy who was/is and ARFCOMMER.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 5:26:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Edit (and this should be obvious): Make sure that your flying machine works perfectly by flying it line of sight.  Then make sure that your video transmitters work perfectly in the day.  Then test your "Return to home" function if you have one.  Then when you are sure that your flying machine will come back to you, put your 10 grand worth of magic eyes on it.
View Quote

Fpvlab.com

The frequency used can have better video quality but at cost of range, quads arent 4-5 mile range rigs though.   There are only 4-5 bands to play with for video and if somebody is serious they should get off of 2.4ghz control radios and have a LRS 433mhz tx modded to their control TX.    Lots of sources for that stuff, just get the HAM license if you dont already.     .5 to 1w 433 mhz will give you a much more solid control link while opening door on other frequencies(read smaller antennas on a crowded quad).

Video freqs will be dependant on several things.

Gopros can put off noise that screws with other devices be it the gps, osd, or video.

Some of the security cameras have excellent low light capabilities, search for threads by ibcrazy(owner of one of most popular fpv online retail sites readymaderc).

The project could likely benefit from two video systems, one for pilot with observer on seperate channels on a seperate gimbals through a seperate controller.     I have an FPV plane which may get set up like this at some point, my receiver in the plane is 18+ channels and the transmitter relay can accept 2 inputs from 2 different transmitters.      I coukd be piloting on 900-1.2mhz video while observer is doing his own thing on a better quality/bandwidth 5.8ghz with 4-8 channels to switch things on/off.

Pilot could have 4-8 channels for whatever is needed to fly, observer on a seperate 4-8 channels while communicating with pilot.

Pilot would have OSD for flight while observer could have an uncluttered video feed.

Lots of options.   But quads arent my thing.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 5:37:10 PM EDT
[#21]
I *think* I'm going with the TurboAce Cinewing 6 HL.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 5:40:00 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Did not Mr.. Bushman have a project like this actually flying and get shut down by the FAA?  
Vic
View Quote

Yes, kinda, maybe.  

The FAA and "drone" regulations are such a disaster right now that no one really knows what you can and can't do.

They didn't tell explicitly tell us to stop, nor have they told us that we did anything wrong, yet.... its still "under investigation" which means my hobby has been pretty much ruined.

But holy cow was it ever fun while it lasted.  :)

You can find more stuff at www.facebook.com/louisianahogcontrol/

If you want my advice, go fixed wing.  The multi copters are all the rage but they have very limited flight times and are noisy as heck.

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 5:44:50 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Think he did.  Link

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Vic

Think he did.  Link

Because of that story, the youtube video of me kicking an alligator in the face was played all over national television.  There was even a gif version on the Chive.  What an odd life I have.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 5:46:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Yes, kinda, maybe.  

The FAA and "drone" regulations are such a disaster right now that no one really knows what you can and can't do.

They didn't tell explicitly tell us to stop, nor have they told us that we did anything wrong, yet.... its still "under investigation" which means my hobby has been pretty much ruined.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xMHEyIroLE

If you want my advice, go fixed wing.  The multi copters are all the rage but they have very limited flight times and are noisy as heck.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Vic

Yes, kinda, maybe.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xMHEyIroLE

Hobbyking just came out with a 2.6m version of the penguin.   That and the readymade airtitan look awesome for duration shit.

So far my longest flight is one mile out and 17-18 minutes.    If i can lighten glider it should thermal abd do 1/2-1 hour plus.    Have only successfully ridden 1 thermal for 100-150ft climb.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 5:55:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Also, don't strap your therm monocular on there, buy a Tau.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 5:58:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:37:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

+1.

Sorry to hear about your situation, I never knew the full story but it was great hearing and seeing.

Edit to add, what range did your wireless Vid have, what freq did you use?

Vic
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Also, don't strap your therm monocular on there, buy a Tau.

+1.

Sorry to hear about your situation, I never knew the full story but it was great hearing and seeing.

Edit to add, what range did your wireless Vid have, what freq did you use?

Vic

In a low interference area with low noise floor, 5.8ghz can do 2-3 miles pretty easily with good antennas(usually circularly polarized).

5.8ghz is the weakest of what is available in the US for given power output.    900mhz, 1.2-1.3ghz, 2.4ghz are orders of magnitude better for range at same tx power.   Downsides to video quality and antenna size though.

There are folks going dozens of miles out and back on well setup aircraft.     I think I recall bushmans vids showing him a few miles out at a healthy altitude.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 7:12:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Definately use thermal for flying UAVs at night. But having an IR laser/illuminator will be useful for marking things.

This is the current set up I use with a Military SUAS
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 7:12:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Link budget math says several miles, but I never really flew that far.  It didn't make sense to do so considering the expensive camera at risk as well as the fact that we had to have communications with shooters/observers on the ground.

I used 2.4Ghz most of the time, but I used to use 900Mhz.  As stated above circularly polarized antenna are a must have.

If you do some digging on the FPV forums you can find people who have gone 10 or 15 miles or more on similar setups to mine, but most of them have to fly high to do it.  Our camera lens choice was such that flying over 400ft wasn't needed.  

Below 200ft you start to run the risk of scaring off your targets, unless you have the motor shut off in a glide.

We also had a nice laser to point out the piggies to the man on the ground, but it scared the crap out of the pigs  :) and we never did get around to replacing it with IR.  It was badass seeing that thing beam out of the sky though.  

All in all, it was a totally badass toy.  We had constant recorder troubles so a large portion of the money shots exist only in my brain, but there were some seriously awesome "Look out he's coming right for you" moments.  Hunting pigs in the rice is something that you have to do to understand the insanity of it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 7:54:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Link budget math says several miles, but I never really flew that far.  It didn't make sense to do so considering the expensive camera at risk as well as the fact that we had to have communications with shooters/observers on the ground.

I used 2.4Ghz most of the time, but I used to use 900Mhz.  As stated above circularly polarized antenna are a must have.

If you do some digging on the FPV forums you can find people who have gone 10 or 15 miles or more on similar setups to mine, but most of them have to fly high to do it.  Our camera lens choice was such that flying over 400ft wasn't needed.  

Below 200ft you start to run the risk of scaring off your targets, unless you have the motor shut off in a glide.

We also had a nice laser to point out the piggies to the man on the ground, but it scared the crap out of the pigs  :) and we never did get around to replacing it with IR.  It was badass seeing that thing beam out of the sky though.  

All in all, it was a totally badass toy.  We had constant recorder troubles so a large portion of the money shots exist only in my brain, but there were some seriously awesome "Look out he's coming right for you" moments.  Hunting pigs in the rice is something that you have to do to understand the insanity of it.
View Quote

I would love to see the laser from the sky.

When i was testing my antenna tracker on my ground station I mounted a flash light to it.     It was freaky to have that thing spotting me and the plane no matter where I was walking.      I had some interesting thoughts of things I cpuld do with that.

My question of the lasers and pigs was answered without having to ask.    I guess pigs can see in color.   I am guessing green laser for intensity and ease of spotting?

Something like that would be EASY to mount up on a gimbal and line up to the cameras center of field of view.    Easy to make the switch to turn it on and off as well.  

I am looking to do an aerobatic wing with higher quality video and goggles.    I want to chase jack rabbits.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:10:26 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Vic
View Quote
I thought that as well

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:28:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Because of that story, the youtube video of me kicking an alligator in the face was played all over national television.  There was even a gif version on the Chive.  What an odd life I have.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Vic

Think he did.  Link

Never saw the alligator kick but watched all of your piggy vids I could find and lived vicariously through them.  I'm a biologist and pig eradication is part of the gig and I try to get my hands on all the fun toys I can to make it as interesting as possible, but your videos were always way cooler. Sorry to hear the feds took issue and took away the fun.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:48:43 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm a little rusty on the rules as of lately but here's what I remember. Most of the channels for FPV are on Ham Radio frequencies.  You can get a amateur ham license to legally fly on those channels.   5.8ghz is nice but it loses signal like crazy if anything gets between you and the drone.  Lower frequencies tend to penetrate better, like trees and houses.  900mhz and such are good alternates but with some of them you lose picture quality for signal penetration.

According to the DJI software on my quad there's also a 400 foot rule that applies to flying Rc's, anything over that and it falls into the FAA's turf so it's altitude is locked on the newer software.  

Another issue is a very recent ruling on these that say that you can't do FPV with goggles but for some reason a screen is OK.  

Like it was said above the rules are clear as mud...  I'd make sure to check them over and make sure I'm correct on these rulings or laws to make sure.

If you plan on running all that kit on your drone, I'd definitely suggest something with a Return to Sender mode.  That way if you lose signal you don't lose 10k and sensitive equipment too.

I built a mini drone that folds up to a toolbox size and runs off of a gopro for video.  While it's fairly large it still isn't big enough to carry much more equipment on it, but does get some good flight times at around 17 minutes of flight.

The coolest thing I've seen out is the DJI system that plots via Bluetooth and Google earth.  It has a waypoint mode and is really accurate.  Might be better for a beginner since a drone can be a pita to fly, especially with wind.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:06:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'm a little rusty on the rules as of lately but here's what I remember. Most of the channels for FPV are on Ham Radio frequencies.  You can get a amateur ham license to legally fly on those channels.   5.8ghz is nice but it loses signal like crazy if anything gets between you and the drone.  Lower frequencies tend to penetrate better, like trees and houses.  900mhz and such are good alternates but with some of them you lose picture quality for signal penetration.

According to the DJI software on my quad there's also a 400 foot rule that applies to flying Rc's, anything over that and it falls into the FAA's turf so it's altitude is locked on the newer software.  

Another issue is a very recent ruling on these that say that you can't do FPV with goggles but for some reason a screen is OK.  

Like it was said above the rules are clear as mud...  I'd make sure to check them over and make sure I'm correct on these rulings or laws to make sure.

If you plan on running all that kit on your drone, I'd definitely suggest something with a Return to Sender mode.  That way if you lose signal you don't lose 10k and sensitive equipment too.

I built a mini drone that folds up to a toolbox size and runs off of a gopro for video.  While it's fairly large it still isn't big enough to carry much more equipment on it, but does get some good flight times at around 17 minutes of flight.

The coolest thing I've seen out is the DJI system that plots via Bluetooth and Google earth.  It has a waypoint mode and is really accurate.  Might be better for a beginner since a drone can be a pita to fly, especially with wind.
View Quote

The 400 ft thing is debated.    Pilots have come in yelling from the top of their lungs but I havent seen it to be an actual punishable/imprisonment type of violation.

I know for a fact that comps for gliders as well as various club fields with giant scale are flying above those altitudes.     If anything it appears to be an advisory that the FAA is trying to get changed to hard fast/enforceable law.

There is room for responsible FPV above 400 feet and it will happen regardless of any law written.     Same goes for irresponsible fpv that has idiots with no experience unboxing their shit and just randomly flying it around a neighborhood and opening themselves to fly aways.

Several suits were filed against the FAA last week.   One by a university, one by the AMA, and I forget the other.

I fly out in the middle of nowhere, preferably with a spotter for other aircraft not my own, and if i hear an actual plane in the vicinity I hit the deck with the intention of grounding the plane if need be.

LOS without flying fpv I have hooked thermals that took my 7ft wing span to altitudes that made it a tiny speck, likely 800+ feet.      If anything FPV gives better orientation and ability to recover a remote control aircraft than the stupid LOS shit that the FAA is tryi.g to enforce.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:11:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Is that 400 feet ASL or AGL?
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:16:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:16:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Vic

Think he did.  Link

You have to post that video.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:05:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Is that 400 feet ASL or AGL?
View Quote

I loaded my DJI software up and am not seeing the 400 foot limit so you should be good to go. (mine says 0-2000m limit)  If it were to apply, it would be for "at ground level". (I live 950 feet above sea level)  

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:29:54 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Vic

Think he did.  Link

Oh man..

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:50:44 PM EDT
[#40]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Vic

Think he did.  Link

Oh man..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGf1KI3VZlI

Dude you going for a of Amos Moses type of folk legend?

You are gonna have to keep your videos to scare the shit out of your daughters dates one day.

Bare foot pig hunting alligator kicking night time UAV hunting bushman....
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 11:29:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 11:38:03 PM EDT
[#42]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh man..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGf1KI3VZlI

Liked!

What a cute kid. Do you rent her out by the day or hour?  
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:31:47 AM EDT
[#43]
So, after talking to "Joey" who sells TurboAce I felt I was on the road to Night-Stalking UAV nirvana. For the low, low price of $8,000 Joey was going to take all of my gear in the photo below, add in a couple of small 1080p day cameras -- one for flight, one for the i^2 NOD -- and wire everything for FPV in all three modes -- daylight, thermal, night vision -- in real-time user-selectable. We'd also wire-up the PEQ for IR laser / illumination for remote-fire as well as the Glare MOUT for "visually disrupting" any bad guys who want to shoot me down.

Yeah... I'm going to jail.  

Not really. I'm embedded with the Sheriff's Dept and I'm hoping we can do this under color of prototyping for LE as a proof-of-concept project.

So, in a nutshell, I want to take THIS:

And cram it into THIS:

So I can do THIS!

And THIS:

And oh so much more...  
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:16:15 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
So, after talking to "Joey" who sells TurboAce I felt I was on the road to Night-Stalking UAV nirvana. For the low, low price of $8,000 Joey was going to take all of my gear in the photo below, add in a couple of small 1080p day cameras -- one for flight, one for the i^2 NOD -- and wire everything for FPV in all three modes -- daylight, thermal, night vision -- in real-time user-selectable. We'd also wire-up the PEQ for IR laser / illumination for remote-fire as well as the Glare MOUT for "visually disrupting" any bad guys who want to shoot me down.

Yeah... I'm going to jail.  

Not really. I'm embedded with the Sheriff's Dept and I'm hoping we can do this under color of prototyping for LE as a proof-of-concept project.

So, in a nutshell, I want to take THIS:
http://huntsvillebible.com/images/biff/hexacopter/hexa_goodies_08.jpg

And cram it into THIS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpZzud7JJYk

So I can do THIS!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crgw8SXcQU4

And THIS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqlptPhFmk0

And oh so much more...  
View Quote

There is a big thread in general discussion on quad copters and drones. lots of knowledgeable people in there. the op of that thread just lost a drone to some mysterious flyoff phenomenon. it just decided to bug out in one direction and never stop. so do your research before strapping 40k to the bottom of one.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:43:56 AM EDT
[#45]
Hey guys, there are many fun and interesting ideas here, just one idea i had of my own. With all the money involved here, instead of the iphone id go with an android phone and run this free app called SpaceTracker by developer Running Husky. He uses it to send weather balloons into space and it takes pictures at programmable rates and will send text messages with its position also at programmable rates. He has done countless weather balloon projects and used this to retrieve it multiple times. Just put it in a waterproof case. Id definitely check that out as it could be a great and cheap asset to get your fancy drone back if it goes down. Its like a cheap blackbox for your drone.

Good luck and keep posting updates.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:26:45 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

There is a big thread in general discussion on quad copters and drones. lots of knowledgeable people in there. the op of that thread just lost a drone to some mysterious flyoff phenomenon. it just decided to bug out in one direction and never stop. so do your research before strapping 40k to the bottom of one.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

This is a good point.  There are lost model locators and other tracking devices that might be prudent here.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:17:46 AM EDT
[#47]
I have to admit, the thought of my gear flying off into oblivion is slightly disconcerting.

The iPhone is only for demo purposes. I'll actually be using two small HD cams, one for daytime FPV, the other affixed to the NOD eyepiece.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 12:57:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I have to admit, the thought of my gear flying off into oblivion is slightly disconcerting.

The iPhone is only for demo purposes. I'll actually be using two small HD cams, one for daytime FPV, the other affixed to the NOD eyepiece.
View Quote

Be sure to put one of these on it! $20...  cant beat it...

https://home.thetileapp.com/
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:01:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good idea! I think I'll stick one to each piece of gear on the UAV, too.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:29:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Glad to be of assistance, and glad the guys at TurboAce impressed you as they did me.
Of course, once you get it running you're going to have to come to Florida for a weekend to prove it really works!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top