Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2014 7:28:04 AM EDT
I've been using the Lasermax uni IR.. and it's ok, but seems to drift around zero a little. So I was looking at the ITAL Classic. However I also see a lot of posts about 'real good stuff' coming this year. So if I don't really need a combo unit (red/green & IR or Illum), should I just go with the ITAL, or wait?

& anyone with an ITAL Classic, what's the beam size at 100yds?
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 3:27:28 PM EDT
[#1]
ok.. so how about this.. Does anyone know of any new inline lasers coming out that might be better than the ITAL?

I guess it's currently not possible to get a dual function IR & visible (red or green) out of one hole/barrel?  I was looking at the CQBL-1, but that won't work on my current setup since there is a separation between the beams.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 3:38:12 PM EDT
[#2]
You're not going to get both an IR and VIS laser out of one aperture.

I would also doubt that you're going to see too many new in-line lasers available, as they just aren't as versatile as offset. The new stuff coming out will most likely be more akin to units that are being used professionally (PEQ-15s, RAPTARs, DBAL variants).

What is the issue with the slight difference between the apertures on the CQBL? What about setup is so special that slight offset is such a huge issue?
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 3:39:26 PM EDT
[#3]
FWIW, I really like my Class 1 ITAL.  It is a hardened device with stupid simple controls that costs less than any other alternatives of such pedigree.  The range capability is consistent with a helmet-mounted monocular.  It is the 21st century version of the PAQ-4C, and is a much more refined design.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 4:10:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Well.. I'm sure I did something akin to blasphemous.. I'm putting this on a Colt 6940 that I removed the pop-up front sight from.  So the inline laser will split the two 'posts' that the front sight use to sit in.  The posts are about 1/2" apart (didn't measure), but I'm sure the dual beams of the CQBL-1 would hit both posts. The Lasermax uni IR goes right thru.   I really like the idea of not having to deal with an offset.  I don't see why they just can make the base so that you can either screw the base to the unit so it's offset, or so it's inline..

Anyway, I want to keep the weapon bare bones for short'ish range pig hunting (out to 75-100 yds is about all I have).  So IR laser, Eotech, and an illuminator (TLR-1 IR right now).  Using this with a helmet or weapon mounted TNV/PVS-14 & 2x mag as needed..

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 12:13:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Jump on that ITAL. The only new laser coming to market is the Surefire X300V with the built in laser.

There is not much profit to be made by manufacturers in the non military IR market.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 12:18:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:22:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Never thought of it that way, but hey we also do not need to have Tie wraps on ITAL's to hold their housings together!

Vic
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
FWIW, I really like my Class 1 ITAL.  It is a hardened device with stupid simple controls that costs less than any other alternatives of such pedigree.  The range capability is consistent with a helmet-mounted monocular.  It is the 21st century version of the PAQ-4C, and is a much more refined design.

Never thought of it that way, but hey we also do not need to have Tie wraps on ITAL's to hold their housings together!

Vic

I guess technically the OTAL would be the 21st century PAQ-4C, but all three of them have the same laser characteristics in terms of power and beam divergence.

Besides the Ty-rap consideration, the ITAL/OTAL also uses LDI's self-adjusting QD mount instead of the USGI thumbscrew or ARMS QD, and that silly and flimsy activation lever is gone.

For the OP, the ITAL is a nice device at a reasonable price, assuming that you are comfortable with either continuous or pressure switch activation.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:51:24 AM EDT
[#8]
You can still find a Burris inline IR laser model #300320.  Burris and LDI are owned by the same parent, and I think Steiner is taking over the commercial distribution, but it's taking them a while.  For $650, you can get an inline IR laser with a Burris Fast Fire III.  The IR laser is a tiny bit different from the ITAL Classic.  The Burris model #300320 is based on the ITAL-A chassis instead of the ITAL-Classic, so you can use LDI's neutral density filters to tame the bloom of the IR laser.  You can't use the ND filters on the ITAL Classic.  They seem to be about the same price point, except you have to buy a Burris Fast Fire III for $200 to get the Burris version.  

Burris #300320

Caveat- I think I'm right on the Burris version being built on the ITAL-A chassis.  For some reason, LDI only offered the civilian version of the ITAL or OTAL built on the "Classic" chassis, which won't take the ND filter, but Burris offered the civilian IR laser in the newer ITAL-A version which does take the ND filters.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:21:17 AM EDT
[#9]
If you are wanting to wait on the next "big" thing you will always be waiting.  At some point you have to get off the sideline and into the game.   I say get the ITAL.  If something else comes along you can sell it.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 12:32:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks all, I decided to jump on an ITAL.. Found it for $430 shipped, new.. so think I did alright..
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:00:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Just tried the Lasermax Uni IR out on the .22LR.. glad I decided on the ITAL for the AR because the Uni is SWEET on the .22...  Coons don't stand a chance!
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:28:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 3:06:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You got in just in time. From what I am told, they are discontinuing the ITAL Class 1. They will only produce OTAL class 1's from now on.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks all, I decided to jump on an ITAL.. Found it for $430 shipped, new.. so think I did alright..

You got in just in time. From what I am told, they are discontinuing the ITAL Class 1. They will only produce OTAL class 1's from now on.

Sounds like the beginning of Steiner-Optik's "streamlining" the LDI product line.  I wonder what will be the next highly desirable device to get the axe?
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 3:27:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Sounds like the beginning of Steiner-Optik's "streamlining" the LDI product line.  I wonder what will be the next highly desirable device to get the axe?
View Quote

Yep.  Too bad.  Kind of reminds me of TCI's assimilation.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top