Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/29/2014 8:53:48 PM EDT
Just wondering if these are still in use? Haven't heard about them in a while. I like mine except the ir illuminator is weak. But I guess if you are using it for close in room clearing that may be perfect so it's not to bright. Or are these obsolete with the night vision pimps
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:45:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I think most would tell you they are obsolete. Personally I think the Vitals are very functional. The main downfall for the Vital is the switch system. Yeah the IR flood is weak but like you said it works for close work.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 5:26:00 AM EDT
[#2]
they work good.......I have one also
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 6:20:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think most would tell you they are obsolete. Personally I think the Vitals are very functional. The main downfall for the Vital is the switch system. Yeah the IR flood is weak but like you said it works for close work.
View Quote

The switch is awful. However the adjustable power is awesome.

I like mine, but I'm not thrilled with the selection of ir units out now so I'll stick with my cheap Vital until I see something better.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 7:58:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 8:08:17 AM EDT
[#5]
I liked the GCP. Not that I ever owned one but I liked it (looks around for WU).
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 8:23:29 AM EDT
[#6]
They are EXCELLENT lasers IMO.  As others have already mentioned, the variable intensity (the VI in VITAL) is the key feature here.  I have used these extensively over the last 7+ years.  My pro/con list after many many hours behind them is below.

Pros:
*Variable intensity beam, you can literally go from nearly invisible to full 0.7mW
*AA batteries, call me crazy but I still prefer batteries I could yank out of a TV remote.  My PVS-14 and thermal also use AA batteries so it makes sense to me.
*Class 1, you're not going to blind anyone w/ them (VITAL-2 is class 1, VITAL-100 is Class 3)
*Returns to zero, I have not ever had one lose zero despite having an integrated ARMS (vs. the preferable LaRue)
*BATTERY LIFE!!  Even w/ alkaline AAs they seem to last forever.  I did an experiment w/ regard to this starting in March 2012, I put new batteries in two units and set one on "off" and one on "steady beam" and put them in the safe.  Note,   "steady beam" w/ these indicates the laser can be activated but NOT that it is actually constantly turned on.  I wrote the date on them and checked every month or so.  The one on "steady beam" I think lasted nine months (I'll have to look).  The one on "off" lasted well over two years and then I ended the experiment since I judged that there was no parasitic drain and the batteries, when the unit is left in "off" position, would likely last as long as they would just lying around.  These were extra units and were NOT used during the experiment except for checking function every month or so.
*Small units
*Truly waterproof.  I filled a trash can with water (about ~2 ft deep) and repeatedly subjected the same unit to 30 minute submerged periods.  The small section of toilet paper inside the compartment came out dry each time AND the unit still functioned 100% when batteries were installed.

Cons:
*Odd battery compartment arrangement, would prefer a simple thread-on like most everything else has
*No constant on function, only temporary paddle switch or tape switch
*Would prefer LaRue mount, as usual
*Illuminator is VERY weak, but those who purchase these generally aren't buying for the illuminator
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 8:54:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

And so is the pressure PAD and ARMS mount!  With that said, outside the Vital, the ATILLA is still one of the best laser/lum units out there!

A bit of history, the Vital, ATILLA and GCP line were initially manufactured by ITT, then NVEC (Night Vision Equipment Company) purchased the rights. When DRS purchased NVEC, they discontinued most of their I^2 line and Nivisys then purchased the rights of these units. Currently Nivisys who is a Industry Partner here is not supporting either the Vital or Atilla any longer which I knew parts where getting harder and harder to come by.  The GCP's are also on their way out.  These systems are now over 15 years old, but the ATILLA has survived the test of time as one of the best units (in its class) ever produced IMHO. I base this on the simple fact having power pressure pads to control the levels for both the IR laser and IR Illuminator (200mW mind you) was and still is paramount and a HUGE advantage to dial up or down your power needs based on your mission and environment.

Why no laser manufacturer has never done this since that time is still a mystery, but when I think back maybe not.  15-20 years ago, many NV products were manufactured with the real needs of the war fighter in mind. Nowadays it's all about costs, and if the Mil unit/contract did not call out for a specific feature no matter how good it may be, it will not be incorporated into the system. I.e.,  PEQ-15 APTIAL from Insight.  When I tested the first APTIAL many years ago I asked a top official at Insight on the why of not incorporating this valuable feature.  Interesting response was, "some pencil pusher in the Army did not put that requirement in the contract, so we had no reason to include that capability".

Anyhoot, did not mean to go off topic, but I will miss this whole Vital, Atilla and GCP line. I have all three and sadly, one day these will all be museum pieces sooner than later.

Vic
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like mine, but I'm not thrilled with the selection of ir units out now so I'll stick with my cheap Vital until I see something better.

And so is the pressure PAD and ARMS mount!  With that said, outside the Vital, the ATILLA is still one of the best laser/lum units out there!

A bit of history, the Vital, ATILLA and GCP line were initially manufactured by ITT, then NVEC (Night Vision Equipment Company) purchased the rights. When DRS purchased NVEC, they discontinued most of their I^2 line and Nivisys then purchased the rights of these units. Currently Nivisys who is a Industry Partner here is not supporting either the Vital or Atilla any longer which I knew parts where getting harder and harder to come by.  The GCP's are also on their way out.  These systems are now over 15 years old, but the ATILLA has survived the test of time as one of the best units (in its class) ever produced IMHO. I base this on the simple fact having power pressure pads to control the levels for both the IR laser and IR Illuminator (200mW mind you) was and still is paramount and a HUGE advantage to dial up or down your power needs based on your mission and environment.

Why no laser manufacturer has never done this since that time is still a mystery, but when I think back maybe not.  15-20 years ago, many NV products were manufactured with the real needs of the war fighter in mind. Nowadays it's all about costs, and if the Mil unit/contract did not call out for a specific feature no matter how good it may be, it will not be incorporated into the system. I.e.,  PEQ-15 APTIAL from Insight.  When I tested the first APTIAL many years ago I asked a top official at Insight on the why of not incorporating this valuable feature.  Interesting response was, "some pencil pusher in the Army did not put that requirement in the contract, so we had no reason to include that capability".

Anyhoot, did not mean to go off topic, but I will miss this whole Vital, Atilla and GCP line. I have all three and sadly, one day these will all be museum pieces sooner than later.

Vic

How does the WIlcox unit compare functionality wise with the ATILLA? Seems it retains many of the same features. From the civilian side I can understand why it didn't take off (the illuminator) but I'd love to find out if Wilcox is working on those angles.

Too bad the Vital is going away. A more modular mount, a new switch, and a higher output LED would make it an awesome choice on the Class 1 market.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 9:32:00 AM EDT
[#8]
As many mentioned already, the adjusyable output is the best part, even at class 1 level. 0.7 mw can boom a bit at close range in a very dark condition. Having that option is always nice. On the other hand, a better illuminator such as m952v can cut the booming down.
A lefty will be stuck with the remote switch since the plug-in switch is pretty much inaccessible with the right hand. One can affix the remote bottom to the top to give a similar configuration as Dbal or Peq.
It's a good design. Wish some company can pick up the right and continue the production.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 9:35:27 AM EDT
[#9]
I want an ATILLA now...
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 9:59:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I want an ATILLA now...
View Quote

IM me if you want to buy mine.  

It's ridiculous. Absurdly, insanely ridiculous. If you need long range air ssupport designation, the A200 is your man.

It's great in that you can dial it down, instead of just having low / high power settings, but that really defeats the purpose.

The illuminator on MAX will melt your NOD and / or eyeballs if you're not careful.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 11:32:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 12:02:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Have to disagree here on a couple of fronts.  Yes the ATILLA could be used for directing a bomb strike  But ability of using 200mW with its Lum port opened wide open, flooding a huge area and also diffusing and regulating the IR pointer at lower power was and is a phenomenal feature. The ATIILA also has one the best beam diameter adjustments of all time but was prone to stripping out at times. Just my 2 cents on a laser that supports all types of engagement profiles.

Vic
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I want an ATILLA now...

It's ridiculous. Absurdly, insanely ridiculous. If you need long range air ssupport designation, the A200 is your man.

It's great in that you can dial it down, instead of just having low / high power settings, but that really defeats the purpose.

The illuminator on MAX will melt your NOD and / or eyeballs if you're not careful.

Have to disagree here on a couple of fronts.  Yes the ATILLA could be used for directing a bomb strike  But ability of using 200mW with its Lum port opened wide open, flooding a huge area and also diffusing and regulating the IR pointer at lower power was and is a phenomenal feature. The ATIILA also has one the best beam diameter adjustments of all time but was prone to stripping out at times. Just my 2 cents on a laser that supports all types of engagement profiles.

Vic

Mine goes a LOT wider than the PEQ, but there seems to be a point where it has more resistance and I've been afraid to give it any more force. Do you think it's OK? I'd LOVE to be able to open it up like a flood.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 12:12:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 12:32:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 1:30:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The ATILLA's have a ultra cool rotating IR Illuminating bezel I mentioned above (left port, looking down at the unit.) You just keep turning it and it opens and closes down the beam by either turning the adjuster clockwise or counter clockwise. The bezel has no stops in their design. Hope this helps.

Vic
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I want an ATILLA now...

Vic

Mine goes a LOT wider than the PEQ, but there seems to be a point where it has more resistance and I've been afraid to give it any more force. Do you think it's OK? I'd LOVE to be able to open it up like a flood.

The ATILLA's have a ultra cool rotating IR Illuminating bezel I mentioned above (left port, looking down at the unit.) You just keep turning it and it opens and closes down the beam by either turning the adjuster clockwise or counter clockwise. The bezel has no stops in their design. Hope this helps.

Vic

Holy CRAP! It was THAT easy!!! I just turned it past its "sticking" point, and now it's nice and smooth.

WTH... this whole time I thought that was as wide as it will go.

Thanks man! Gotta get some playtime on this thing tonight.

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 7:41:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Vic
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Vic

Yea it's sad that the people choosing are not the people using. Then we are all forced to use less capable equipment. And then the ridiculous rules, and I'm not even sure if they are laws, about not being able to sell certain things unless it's to Johnny law has got to come to an end. This actually limits the advancement, because the amount of money spent would allow more r&d. Then the companies that take it upon themselves to say we won't sell it just because, need to be slapped down. I want to see where this stuff has been used in nefarious ways. The worst thing is the guys stealing it and selling online because there is a pent up demand for it because of limits on who only can purchase. Kinda like ITAR has turned into a nightmare for law abiding folks because bad guys could get ahold of stuff. Newsflash: they can get guns and kill you without all the cool gadgets. I can't even go down this road of craziness since it gets me to worked up. But the idea of limiting my freedoms because some asshole might break a law is just wrong.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:04:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 10:34:03 AM EDT
[#18]
I did a conversion from the VITAL pressure switch to an Surefire switch.. Took some work but it works great. I'll post some photos when I have time...

BTW.. Vic I tried to send you a message but your inbox was full.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 11:43:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Vic
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Vic

I like my Vital-2, but I'm definitely low speed high drag.

Where can one source parts for these things, specifically pressure pads or the pin components for one?
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 12:24:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 12:54:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I did a conversion from the VITAL pressure switch to an Surefire switch.. Took some work but it works great. I'll post some photos when I have time...

View Quote

I do not remember the VITAL's I had as I never really kept them long but are the tape switches compatible with the Atilla?
If so, I would like to learn more about your SUREFIRE conversion switch as well.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 1:00:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Yup, it actually looks like I never cut and soldered the two units.. I'll do a write up next week when I get back from the night shoot I'm going to this weekend. here is a hint... The Vital cables and surefire cables are 100% the same under the protective covering. You just have to know what your doing and not be afraid of ruining everything.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 1:09:08 PM EDT
[#23]
I got a VITAL-2 unit from a friend of mine. I don't have anything to verify that it works, and aside from the two cracks on the battery housing part and the missing lens cone; it's in good shape. I wish I owned some NODs to test it with. Been sitting in my spares box forever.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 1:12:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 1:47:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Considering the modular nature of the switch it should be very easy to design a reverse clickie type switch for the Vital. There's enough of these kicking around of there to make it viable.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 2:04:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Any info and pics would be appreciated. Might try this if its not to much electronic kungfoo involved.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 3:05:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I got a VITAL-2 unit from a friend of mine. I don't have anything to verify that it works, and aside from the two cracks on the battery housing part and the missing lens cone; it's in good shape. I wish I owned some NODs to test it with. Been sitting in my spares box forever.
View Quote

I'm going to assume you have a cellphone or smartphone. Just go into a dark room, hold the Vital a few inches from the wall and activate it and scan the wall with your camera, you should be able to see a small reflection or dot (on mine it is purple/violet in color). Being that the Vital-2 is a low power eyesafe laser, you can also aim the laser at the camera from a foot or so away, just try to avoid aiming it straight at your face.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:36:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I'm going to assume you have a cellphone or smartphone. Just go into a dark room, hold the Vital a few inches from the wall and activate it and scan the wall with your camera, you should be able to see a small reflection or dot (on mine it is purple/violet in color). Being that the Vital-2 is a low power eyesafe laser, you can also aim the laser at the camera from a foot or so away, just try to avoid aiming it straight at your face.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmmmm; gonna try that. let you know if it works.

ETA - Well I'll be damned. It does work. :D
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 9:33:48 PM EDT
[#29]
The VITAL is perfectly fine for nearly anyone needing it for home defense, SHTF offense, or plain hunting in my opinion. It's a little heavier than the PAQ-4 but more robust. When you see and feel the activation switch it seems odd but it works perfectly fine. Built like a tank. If anyone is interested, I'll sell mine.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 6:17:25 AM EDT
[#30]
I will go into great detail later when I get back into town how I did it..
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 7:03:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Wiring in a Surefire SR switch with constant on would be nice.

I might have to do this.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 3:17:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Been busy.. I'll get to it soon.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 4:41:53 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Been busy.. I'll get to it soon.
View Quote

Any chance of making a custom switch?
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 7:07:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Ill post an "How Too" step by step with photos.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 7:16:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Ill post an "How Too" step by step with photos.
View Quote

Eeeeeeeexcellent!!
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 7:30:53 AM EDT
[#36]
I might be able to do it today after work.. We will see...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top