Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/29/2014 4:34:42 PM EDT
Ideally, I'd like something like my Surefire X300V, with selectable IR and visible light, and an IR laser, but Surefire says the X400V isn't coming until later this year.

I just got a PVS-14, and would like an aiming solution for my USP 45 Tactical, to be used in conjunction with my PVS-14.

Just wondering if anyone knows of a solution that has visible AND IR lights, and an IR laser, that will fit a handgun.

Saw the LDI DBAL-PL, but those aren't out yet, either.

Input is appreciated!
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:50:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Interested in the Streamlight as well, particularly the TLR-2IRW.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:55:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup. That's the one. I'm leaning hard towards it. For the price of one X400V (when they come out), I can get TWO of the TLR-2 IRW, and have both of my USP Tactical's outfitted.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:26:36 PM EDT
[#3]
The problem with the TLR2-IR is that the laser is visible, not IR.  Only the light is IR.  The TLR-IRW has an IR laser but a white light, for whatever reason they don't make a version with IR light and laser.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:28:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The problem with the TLR2-IR is that the laser is visible, not IR.  Only the light is IR.  The TLR-IRW has an IR laser but a white light, for whatever reason they don't make a version with IR light and laser.
View Quote

Yea. I thought that was odd.

I will have a separate IR illuminator on my helmet, so the TLR-2 IRW seems to be the best choice for what I want.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:38:30 PM EDT
[#5]
On one of my guns I use a TLR-1 IR illuminator and a CQBL for an IR laser.  The TLR-1 IR is very powerful for its size, it's considerably brighter than my Surefire 952v and 1/3 of the size.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:02:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

The TLR-2IRW actually fits into my plans quite well because the pistol has TFO iron sights that rock in most conditions. It would be awesome to have white and IR illumination, but of the two, I'll take white light because it will be used much more than the IR would (in my situation). The IR laser would be great on those rare times I'd need to shoot with NODS. Obviously, a unit that did white and IR light as well as visible and IR laser would be optimal. Surefire is getting closer to that with the X400V, but the cost will be high. My experience with other Streamlight products has generally been very positive. The water resistance rating of the TLR-2 IRW is something that concerns me. Submersible would be better...
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 2:01:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

The laser is nice, comparable to the beam on the IR version of Crimson Trace's Railmaster.
Unfortunately it is a white light, 3 positions on the switch, white light, off and IR laser.
Might be better served with an IR Crimson Trace laser grip and a TLR1 IR if you need both  IR laser and illumination.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 6:33:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The laser is nice, comparable to the beam on the IR version of Crimson Trace's Railmaster.
Unfortunately it is a white light, 3 positions on the switch, white light, off and IR laser.
Might be better served with an IR Crimson Trace laser grip and a TLR1 IR if you need both  IR laser and illumination.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I agree, but  CTC doesn't make an IR laser grip for the M&P (yet, anyway). That setup would be best though because and I could continue using my current TLR-3. As you pointed out, switching might be better too.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 7:03:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Just to make sure I'm up to speed, the TLR-2IR is IR illumination and visible red laser, and the TLR-2IRW is visible illumination and IR laser, right?  

I use a 30mm 720nm IR bypass filter on my PVS14s.  I never take them off.  When using them, a 5mw red visible laser is good out to 100 yards with no IR illumination and 30 or 40 yards with IR illumination - it gets washed out.  There is zero bloom with or without IR illumination.  With the same filter, a .7mw IR laser is basically useless under 100 yards with no IR illumination (has about a 12" bloom at 50 yards) and is OK at 50 yards with IR illumination with about a 4 inch bloom.  

If using the filter, and mounting this on a pistol, I think I'd just go with a regular TLR-2.  White light and visible red laser the 98% of the time you're not wearing NODS, and when you are under NODS, just using the red laser is good to go at pistol ranges.  I use the TLR-1IR (no laser) on a carbine, and it is almost as strong as the Streamlight SuperTac IR- same output, just a smaller bezel.  Streamlight's IR LEDs do have a faint red glow, as I think they use 850nm LEDs instead of 940.  It's not much, but I have had deer notice it at 100+ yards.  SkyPup suggested a 850nm IR filter, and I figured out that a 30mm 850nm IR filter fits perfectly into the TLR-1 and replaces the glass in the light just right and eliminates all the red glow that is visible to me.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top