Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2014 1:55:40 PM EDT
I had this posted elsewhere on the site for a few weeks, though I would share here for those that are interested in the most commonly available Gen III Binocular Night Vision systems.

'Hoove's Bino NVD Comparison'

ANVIS-6/9

Weight: 18.4 oz
Optics: ANVIS (6 or 9 depending on model)
Image Intensifiers: MX-10160

The ANVIS-6/9 is possibly the most common Night Vision Goggle system around, they are used by both fixed and rotary wing pilots in all branches of the military as well as ground troops (more often prior to the development of more recent ruggedized goggle systems) They also frequently pop up for sale on forums, eBay and other places. They are designed to be a system worn by pilots and crewmembers and therefore aren’t as ruggedized as many other systems for everyday use running around through the woods and urban environments.  I myself have never broke a pair of them but I have seen several broken ones, the most common issues I have seen are broken PAS shelf’s (part connecting the two individual tube sections together) and the ‘mono-housings’ (part holding the optics and intensifier) breaking.

They require special mounts, most often seen are the Aviation Helmet Mounts with adapter plates and an adapter off a Rhino mount. My favorite mount to use with this setup is the Adams Industries SAM, it is very durable and is well worth the high price. They also require a separate battery pack, most are seen with the issued Low Profile Battery Pack however Adams Industries makes a very nice battery pack as well (the Air Ground Warrior Battery Pack).

They are usually the cheapest option to get into bino NVG’s and many good deals can be had. The best part is you can upgrade them down the road to an Adams Industries SENTINEL for a nominal fee if you so desire. Be sure to vet these items before you purchase, there are many stolen Military Issued units out there!

Pros:
-light
-easy to find used, inexpensive
-upgradeable to SENTINEL down the road

Cons:
-no onboard power
-require special mounts and battery pack
-break easy, not designed for ground use

BNVD

Weight: 22.0 oz (Non-Gain adjustable with Lithium AA)
Optics: PVS-14
Image Intensifiers: MX-10160 or MX-11769 (depending on model)

The BNVD is built by Night Vision Depot. It is a custom design that allows either tube (left or right eye) to be rotated up and out of the way. This can be a handy feature to have as it allows you to fire a weapon with your dominate eye or use a thermal device (either handheld or weapon mounted)

It is machined out of Delrin making for a much more durable goggle and has an attachment point on top with a Wilcox Dovetail. It features an onboard AA battery to power the unit and has no provisions to use an external battery pack. It features a PVS-7 illuminator that allows onboard IR illumination (can be very handy!)

I have the least amount of experience with this unit out of all 3 systems but have still used it for many hours. I like the ability to rotate one optic out of the way but find myself fiddling with adjusting the tubes in and out, up and down and never can get them quite where I want them. I also don’t like how far away they sit from my face.

Pros:
-Allows using both or only one eye
-durable, machined out of delrin
-has onboard IR illumination
-Onboard battery (AA)

Cons:
- Hard to get adjusted where I want them
- Sits too far away from my face with AKA2
- Heaviest of the bino’s
-Only available from NV Depot

Adams Industries SENTINEL

Weight: 20.6 oz (with PVS-14 optics, Lithium CR123, Dovetail Mount) 22.6 oz (with PVS-14 Optics, Lithium CR123, ANVIS Mount)
Optics: PVS-14 or ANVIS (either 6 or 9)
Image Intensifiers: MX-10160 or MX-11769 (coming soon!)

The last system is the Adams Industries Sentinel. I received one of the first commercially available Sentinel in 2012 and have had several more since then. I would be lying to you guys if I didn’t say that this one is by far my favorite.

It is designed and sold by Adams Industries. It can be had in several different configurations and also has the ability to use different helmet mount solutions. You can buy it with either ANVIS lens threading (perfect if you want to upgrade your ANVIS) or with PVS-14 lens threading (great for guys wanting to make a bino out of a pair of PVS-14’s) They also can be setup as either a Wilcox Dovetail style mount or an ANVIS Ball and Detent style mount. I have used mine in both configurations but find myself using it with the Wilcox Dovetail and a Norotos AKA2 most frequently. It also features an onboard battery (CR123) but can also use external ANVIS battery packs using the included ANVIS Ball and Detent mount. It has two different IR illuminators on it, a flood type (good up close) and a small spotlight style (good for 25-35 yards)

I can honestly say this is my favorite bino system that I have tried and would highly recommend them to anyone looking to purchase the best thing first or for anyone wanting to upgrade their equipment (whether it is a ANVIS, a pair of PVS-14’s or just a pair of tubes). I will be receiving my newest  Sentinel in the next week or two, it is a dual gain controlled unit (like the BNVD-DG) but adds a whole new element of badass with the Adams Industries HD lens'... it should be a pretty epic system, I will post more details here once I have them!

Pros:
-Can configure as either Wilcox Dovetail or ANVIS Ball and Detent style mount
-Durable, machined out of delrin
-Has onboard IR Illumination (both flood and spot)
-Can be purchased as housing only or housing with optics if you choose to upgrade systems (ANVIS, PVS-14, etc…)
-Onboard batter (CR123) but can also use battery pack

Cons:
-Require more expensive helmet mounts (either ANVIS style or dovetail style
-Slightly heavier and bulkier than ANVIS systems

If anyone has any questions about any of these systems or want to know more info about them please feel free to PM or email me through here and I would glad to help. I have lots of Night Vision equipment (as many know) and I will continue posting up reviews and information on new equipment as it becomes available or I get it.

From Left to Right: ANVIS-6, BNVD, Adams Industries SENTINEL (PVS-14 Optics, Wilcox Dovetail) and Adams Industries SENTINEL (ANVIS Optics, ANVIS Ball and Detent mount)
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:01:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Sweet Hoov!!!

Just curious, but the Sentinels do not turn up out of the way independently. I would view this as their primary advantage over the Sentinels, especially if you're carrying a scoped weapon with, say, a TWS mounted. I can see many instances where this would be invaluable to keep one down at all times and have the other eye available for shouldering and sighting.

The HD Sentinel sounds awesome. Can't wait for that review!
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:07:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sweet Hoov!!!

Just curious, but the Sentinels do not turn up out of the way independently. I would view this as their primary advantage over the Sentinels, especially if you're carrying a scoped weapon with, say, a TWS mounted. I can see many instances where this would be invaluable to keep one down at all times and have the other eye available for shouldering and sighting.

The HD Sentinel sounds awesome. Can't wait for that review!
View Quote

Correct, if you want to be able to rotate one eyepiece out of the way for using with a clip-on (night vision or thermal) the BNVD would be the way to go. For me, the trade off for that lamount of time I am doing that is not worth it, the better fit and feel of the SENTINEL  is more important, if I need to use some sort of clip on device I can swing the binoculars up and out of the way if need be.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:09:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Crikey that's some pretty gear. Good run down!
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:09:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Great review!  How do you go about getting dual gain in the Sentinel?  The ones I've seen are ABC gain control.  I'm also looking forward to what you see as differences for the HD lenses.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:12:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Now that is contributing
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:15:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Now that is contributing
View Quote

Glad I pleased you

Sorry that my sarcasm didn't show through in previous posts... I can be a bit of a sarcastic asshole sometimes, doesn't always end well on the interwebs!
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:16:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Great review!  How do you go about getting dual gain in the Sentinel?  The ones I've seen are ABC gain control.  I'm also looking forward to what you see as differences for the HD lenses.
View Quote

I annoyed the guys at Adams Industries enough saying 'I think you should make a dual gain control... can you make me a dual gain control SENTINEL? You know what would go great with your HD lens, a dual gain control SENTINEL.'

Any day now...
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:25:55 PM EDT
[#8]
My wife really hates you guys!
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:27:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:40:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
That is big advantage for the BNVD's that one can swivel up when needed.  Always nice to have one eye dark acclimated and/or to look at other things in the night which many LE types like.  

Also for your "CON" of the BNVD's, they are not only available from them. We are a pretty big distributor for these units as well along with Adams kit.

Good load outs here.

Vic
View Quote

Sorry, that CON was meant for those who wish to put together their own systems (ie have a pair of MUM's/PVS-14's/ENVIS) and wish to make them into a pair of binoculars. Complete BNVD's are more readily available as you pointed out.

If the BNVD's would sit back a little further and had some sort of retention adjustment I would really lean that way more but as it stands I don't particularly care for the way they sit when mounted... I find myself constantly fiddling with them trying to get them set just right and then if I flip one side back up I fiddle with it trying to get it set back to where it was.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:51:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:58:20 PM EDT
[#12]
No problem, I'm polishing up one with some Clip-On night sights that should be done in the next month or so...
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:33:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:04:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Great post, and I'm not just saying that because I owe you money.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:24:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the review, certainly gives me some stuff to think about for my next purchase!
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 12:24:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Great review, looking forward to the CNVD review!  

Any thoughts on which are the more durable between the BNVD and Sentinel housings?  

~Augee
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 2:11:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Great review, looking forward to the CNVD review!  

Any thoughts on which are the more durable between the BNVD and Sentinel housings?  

~Augee
View Quote

Durability wise I would say they are about identical, both are delrin housings and much more durable than the PVS-14/15/ANVIS housings plastic.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 3:26:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Whats the cost of 2 pvs 14's becoming a sentinel?  Assuming you already have 2 pvs 14's.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 8:05:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Nice review! As a note, I noticed in your pics that your BNVD dovetail mount is the older type that causes it to sit a little far from your eyes like you mentioned in your review. There is a geometry correction block available to correct this known issue. The newer style mount is now mounted on newer BNVDs. Mines has this new mount & the system sits perfectly fine with plenty room for adjustment. Just thought I'd share this so you can maximize your experience with your BNVD.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 8:28:56 PM EDT
[#20]
I have the old style BNVDs and added one of the improved mounting blocks it made a big difference for me!
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 9:01:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 11:01:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Adams Indsutries sent me an email today.  Theyre charging $2500 if you have 2 pvs 14's or even just 2 14 tubes and complete optic sets.  If you have just the tubes then they charge $3295.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 11:28:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Do you think Adams Industries will come out with a Sentinel w/o IR illumination?

Any idea how much weight this would shave off?
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 12:54:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Do you think Adams Industries will come out with a Sentinel w/o IR illumination?

View Quote

I don't know what fraction of a gram a IR LED would weigh but the elimination of IR is not a practical weight savings IMHO.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 3:13:49 AM EDT
[#25]
So the HD kits from Adams are out? Is there any more information anywhere?
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 4:40:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Adams Indsutries sent me an email today.  Theyre charging $2500 if you have 2 pvs 14's or even just 2 14 tubes and complete optic sets.  If you have just the tubes then they charge $3295.
View Quote

That seems kind of high.. I recently had NVDepot convert my two 14's in a set of BNVD's for $1400.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 9:20:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I don't know what fraction of a gram a IR LED would weigh but the elimination of IR is not a practical weight savings IMHO.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ahhh ok, I saw that the PVS-31 doesn't have IR illumination so I thought the removal of IR could shave a decent amount of weight off.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 3:47:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Here is the latest SENTINEL, just arrived this week! The SENTINEL-DGC (dual gain control) is designed for use with MX-11769 and allows fully independent gain adjustment on each tube. I'm looking forward to trying them out with a set of HD lens once they arrive, should make for a nice combo!

Link Posted: 8/12/2014 5:25:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Here is the latest SENTINEL, just arrived this week! The SENTINEL-DGC (dual gain control) is designed for use with MX-11769 and allows fully independent gain adjustment on each tube. I'm looking forward to trying them out with a set of HD lens once they arrive, should make for a nice combo!

http://imageshack.com/a/img901/5315/63ayG6.jpg
View Quote

Sweet!  Very nice setup.  I really want that Sentinel.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 5:32:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top