BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:25:08 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This thing is pretty cool... came fully charged too, thanks FLIR!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/dcloudy777/photo40_zpsb4754ee7.jpg
View Quote
This seems to depict a Boston Terrier!

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 10:54:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Damn, i wish this worked on my 5C.  I'd be all over this
View Quote

Dammit, IT doesnt work with the 5c!!!!   I just wept a little!!!
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 11:14:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Mine arrives Monday...
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 11:18:02 PM EDT
[#4]
If I'm having this much fun with a tiny lens 9hz 80x60 imager, you guys with real hardware must have a blast!

How hot was my steering wheel yesterday?

The seat wasn't very comfortable, either.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 2:57:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I ordered on the 22nd and it hasn't shipped yet.  

Shipping Status: Not Yet Shipped

Delivery Estimate: Aug 12, 2014 - Aug 14, 2014

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 7:25:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Can anyone post some photos in complete darkness and the detection range?? How far can you see pig, deer, and dog sized objects?

Cool looking photos have been posted, but I want to see what the unit will really do!!
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 8:20:08 AM EDT
[#7]
I'll let you know when I get mine this afternoon.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 12:27:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Can anyone post some photos in complete darkness and the detection range?? How far can you see pig, deer, and dog sized objects?

Cool looking photos have been posted, but I want to see what the unit will really do!!
View Quote

Don't expect to be overwhelmed at all. I put painter's tape over the vga lens, and it's about like any other small lens 80x60 image. My phone's back in the lifeproof case for the day, but I'll try to snap some later.

ETA: 4-5' away from the mutt:

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 12:48:06 PM EDT
[#9]
So here's an odd question. What if the iPhone's camera doesn't work? Will the One still work properly? My camera on my phone seems to be crapping out right now. I can't take any pictures using the rear camera and occasionally am able to use the front camera (though that won't help with the One since it uses the rear camera). Any app that I have that uses the camera won't take any pictures/freezes up. I will be getting the new iPhone whenever it comes out, but just wondering if it'll be worth it to have the version for the 5 or return it and wait until the FLIR One for the iPhone 6 comes out? Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 3:01:26 PM EDT
[#10]
When the 6 comes out, you'll probably be able to pick up a 5 for a song....
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 4:41:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I need this in my life like yesterday.  And with deer season coming up in a couple of months I think this will be key in helping track down an animal in case it runs off.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 7:09:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote

Agreed.

I'd like to see just how far out it'll detect a heat signature.

10 yards, 25, 50, 100...how far is this thing effective?
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 7:10:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Agreed.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.

That's what I want to know. That will determine whether it's worth it for me to pick one up.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 7:59:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That's what I want to know. That will determine whether it's worth it for me to pick one up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.

This... Can I see something at 100yds or more, Elk sized?
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 11:17:36 PM EDT
[#15]
You won't notice a bunch of ducks on the neighborhood pond from 50 feet on a day with peak temp >100F. My dog spooked them, which startled me away from the phone display. It's also hot enough today that my dog was cooler than the sidewalk. Maybe you'd detect smaller things on a hot day if black hot were an optional palette.  I use it like a cool IR thermometer more than anything else.

"Gray" white hot. VGA cam is not blocked; it's getting dark outside.

It will be interesting to see how things change with more experience and better temp differential. This sidewalk area is shaded most of daytime. It's getting very dark, and hard to see my brindle-colored dog from 20-25 yards with the naked eye. He's a 70ish pound boxer. That was about as far away as I wanted to leave him in a commanded "sit" off leash at night in the darkest part of the neighborhood.

Link Posted: 8/12/2014 8:26:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You won't notice a bunch of ducks on the neighborhood pond from 50 feet on a day with peak temp >100F. My dog spooked them, which startled me away from the phone display. It's also hot enough today that my dog was cooler than the sidewalk. Maybe you'd detect smaller things on a hot day if black hot were an optional palette.  I use it like a cool IR thermometer more than anything else.

"Gray" white hot. VGA cam is not blocked; it's getting dark outside.
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t151/sleepdr/2B8585A4-AE0B-4C8C-800F-174DC1F5F17D_zpskyrjfonf.jpg

It will be interesting to see how things change with more experience and better temp differential. This sidewalk area is shaded most of daytime. It's getting very dark, and hard to see my brindle-colored dog from 20-25 yards with the naked eye. He's a 70ish pound boxer. That was about as far away as I wanted to leave him in a commanded "sit" off leash at night in the darkest part of the neighborhood.
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t151/sleepdr/93D493AE-24D0-472A-A6C8-CC553FF7C95C_zpsrjtzhyfh.jpg

View Quote

Thanks for the photo. Bottom photo is 70lb boxer at ~25yds in no moon conditions? Will you have a chance to take a few more photos from longer distances?

With several of you guys getting these units in your hands now I would think more would be posting photos. Come on guys, we need to see some more photos!!
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 9:36:18 AM EDT
[#17]
I would also like to see how usable this is at night picking up vairous size animals at night.  Also anyone care to try to hold the phones camera up to a pvs14 at night and see how the FLIR one does?
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 10:59:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Remember that the VGA camera and detector lenses are both tiny. One wouldn't expect great results glassing for elk across a field with an iphone instead of a spotting scope. So, too, FLIR One vs a larger imager would presumably compare. My TI experience is very limited, so I'll defer to the known SMEs here for specifics. Please forgive the telegraphic text, as I'm rushing to get kids ready for school and typing.

No pic but more info. Morning, 30ish yards on a cool & wet lawn. Same test subject, because he is more patient with this than wife & kids would be. "Hottest" palette (? similar to Instalert) seems to work best for detection. At that range: heat from nearby houses & structures also shows hot. Too much sky in image confuses the image. Dog is an amorphous blob on thermal but lights up enough red pixels to get attention.

Moonless night/PVS comparisons won't really give much info, but I'll try to snap something thru the PVS this week.

Link Posted: 8/13/2014 1:18:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Good news is mine has shipped......

Bad news is delivery was estimated between 8-12 and 8-14 and tracking info says not until the 19th.......

Damn it, I want my new toy!!!  
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 1:49:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Received mine Monday.

I guess I need to keep it in its proper perspective, but I just think of it as a semi-nifty little toy. I took it out last night and it was completely and utterly useless as a detection tool. My cat in my driveway was a barely-visible blob from 10 yards away in pitch black. My 120 horse John Deere tractor was nearly invisible at 50 yards. And that's a big-ass tractor. In the dark everything beyond 5 yards is nothing more than a nebulous haze, regardless of how often you calibrate.

It's clearly something meant to be used during the day or at personal contact distances in the dark.

So, you definitely get what you pay for here. That said, I can easily see where the ONE will come in handy with HVAC inspections, electricians, etc. in that vein there may be countless uses where it's worth its weight in gold.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 1:54:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Mine was supposed to be delivered Monday but FedX handed it off to USPS instead, so it damn sure better be in my mailbox when I get home from work today. And, hey, I thought it would work as a long range thermal weapon scope out past 1,000 yards?
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 2:56:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
And, hey, I thought it would work as a long range thermal weapon scope out past 1,000 yards?
View Quote

Neither you nor anyone reviewing the device has tried to pass it off as a long range imager. The web brochure does mention finding pets, etc., but the obvious use is for close-range thermography. I find it very handy for that intended purpose, but am also trying to satisfy curiosity about detection. It won't replace an LS64, but an LS64 can't easily snap close-up fusion images and upload them to photobucket. Different tools for different jobs.

Link Posted: 8/13/2014 3:29:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Received mine Monday.

I guess I need to keep it in its proper perspective, but I just think of it as a semi-nifty little toy. I took it out last night and it was completely and utterly useless as a detection tool. My cat in my driveway was a barely-visible blob from 10 yards away in pitch black. My 120 horse John Deere tractor was nearly invisible at 50 yards. And that's a big-ass tractor. In the dark everything beyond 5 yards is nothing more than a nebulous haze, regardless of how often you calibrate.

It's clearly something meant to be used during the day or at personal contact distances in the dark.

So, you definitely get what you pay for here. That said, I can easily see where the ONE will come in handy with HVAC inspections, electricians, etc. in that vein there may be countless uses where it's worth its weight in gold.
View Quote

Man that really sucks. Mine shipped today, too late to cancel, but I think I am going to see if I can return it in the unopened package and hopefully just be out shipping. Maybe they will let me trade it in for one of their reman ps24, which seems to be a much better tool for detection
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 5:21:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Thermalized AKC Grand Champion Scottish Terrier!

Link Posted: 8/13/2014 6:15:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/FlirOne/Aug.JPG
View Quote

Looks like he just had a drink of water.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 6:25:04 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Received mine Monday.

View Quote

Thank you for the review.

The uses for the FLIR One are just not applicable for my needs based on the above comments.

I can see application for it, just not anything I'd ever need it for.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 7:32:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/FlirOne/Aug.JPG
View Quote

Off topic:
Scotties hold a special place in our hearts at the Azygos household. My wife grew up with one. I gave her one as a wedding present, and our tenacious little guy was with us for 11 years before succumbing to bladder cancer.

Link Posted: 8/13/2014 7:59:30 PM EDT
[#28]
So sorry to hear this, but the only place to bury a great Scot is in your heart. We have lost two to lymphoma and we donate to the Purdue University Scottie bladder cancer research fund each year...
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 9:03:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The uses for the FLIR One are just not applicable for my needs based on the above comments.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Received mine Monday.

Same here. I knew it wouldn't be a long-range device, but it got my hopes up when I was reading that it could detect a man-sized object at 100 yards.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 9:32:39 PM EDT
[#30]
I think that under ideal conditions it will detect a human out 100 yards, not in the rain or high humidity though, will have to wait for things to cool down this fall and the humidity to drop for that.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 6:53:39 PM EDT
[#31]
I can report that FLIRONE works excellent for reloaders who wish to recover their hot spent brass, my 556 flings shells about 20 feet out at 2 o'clock and they are all there glowing in the thermal....

Also, be sure to download the FLIR Mobile App, it is not specifically for the FLIRONE, however it allows you to manipulate all the thermal images and has GPS and temperature min and max measurements as well as distance, humidity, ambient temperature, and many other technical features....excellent free software!
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 9:46:04 PM EDT
[#32]
There are a whole bunch of new Flir One apps out now. Panorama, Paint, Close Up, and Time Lapse in addition to Tools Mobile.

FWIW, I'm starting to like switching between the Arctic and Grey/hottest palettes to identify living things.

Link Posted: 8/14/2014 10:01:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Now go out there and kill something!!!

This hog is slowing cooling off tonight....
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 12:52:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Would you believe that for the untold thousands of rounds I've shot, I've never hunted anything larger than a starling or desert rodent/whistle pig? One of these days, I need to find someone patient to rectify that and teach some skills.

Since the only thing to hunt in this neighborhood tonight would be domestic felines, here is some thermal sightseeing of the clouds.

Link Posted: 8/15/2014 7:47:14 AM EDT
[#35]
Nice, and it is way below -32*F too!
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 8:23:33 PM EDT
[#36]
My Five seveN and Sparrow after a mag dump.

Link Posted: 8/15/2014 11:56:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Night time human detection range test I found poking around the web.  Naturally the daylight camera assistance doesn't help outline the image in this case and he quickly turns into a blob, but I guess it's enough to see that something is moving out there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIYYsuTsNRU
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 12:05:03 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Night time human detection range test I found poking around the web.  Naturally the daylight camera assistance doesn't help outline the image in this case and he quickly turns into a blob, but I guess it's enough to see that something is moving out there

View Quote

I think the detection range is helped considerably by the fact that the subject in that video is a lard-ass. Also, he doesn't sound intelligent enough to properly operate a fine piece of technology like the FLIR ONE.

What a loser!
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 9:40:29 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I think the detection range is helped considerably by the fact that the subject in that video is a lard-ass. Also, he doesn't sound intelligent enough to properly operate a fine piece of technology like the FLIR ONE.

What a loser!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What a loser!

probably a peter puffer too.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 10:35:05 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
This is a VERY short range device.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pre-Order opens tomorrow and you ordered and paid for yours already...?

Not sure how not a shill

Dude, ya gotz ta keep on shillin'
"FLIR ONE will be available in the U.S. for pre-orders on FLIR.com/FLIRONE beginning July 23, 2014 at 9 a.m. ET with an MSRP of $349.99. "

"Prior FLIR ONE pre-registrants in the U.S. will receive special access to pre-orders starting today, July 22, 2014 at 9 a.m. ET."

"Pre-ordered units are expected to ship to consumers beginning the week of August 4, 2014. FLIR ONE availability in Europe is expected to begin by mid-August with availability in other regions to follow soon after. Following U.S. and European availability on flir.com, FLIR ONE will be sold on Apple.com and in Apple retail stores, initially in the U.S. and Canada, followed by a worldwide roll-out."

How can this be 350 and a thermal clip on costs 4K?

This is a VERY short range device.

you tube some reviews, I wouldn't spend the money unless you had other uses like looking at electrical faults or something similar.  I guess for $350 it's not bad

Link Posted: 9/8/2014 2:58:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Night time human detection range test I found poking around the web. Naturally the daylight camera assistance doesn't help outline the image in this case and he quickly turns into a blob, but I guess it's enough to see that something is moving out there

View Quote

What a loser!
View Quote

LOL, man you guys have a sense of humor, thought I was in GD for a minute.  

You guys do realize that's our very own TheHorta in that video, right??
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 4:01:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

The inteliscope mount for the iPhone will work perfect.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anyone find a picatinny mount that's FLIR-ONE compatible yet?  

The inteliscope mount for the iPhone will work perfect.

Inteliscope just set up as a reseller for the FLIR ONE. And we are working to integrate their SDK into our App. Stay tuned.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top