Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/18/2014 4:33:42 PM EDT
Is there much value in using an IR only laser on handguns in conjunction with monocular NVG?
Would using regular night sights, combined with monocular NVG, allow the brain to "super imose" both images?
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 4:36:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd guess the night sights would give a huge bloom that close. Probably have to cover them up with tape to use the IR laser. Even the IR laser will probably have big bloom close up on reflective targets
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 4:40:19 PM EDT
[#2]
The laser (CMR 201IR) does bloom quite a bit. If I am lucky, I may get to try it tomorrow at an indoor range.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 4:48:12 PM EDT
[#3]
A RMR works incredibly well.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 4:54:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Good point about RMR. I just tried night sights. They actually work. The image is a little "blloomy" but I am able to see the three dots distinctly.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 6:14:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good point about RMR. I just tried night sights. They actually work. The image is a little "blloomy" but I am able to see the three dots distinctly.
View Quote

Yeah they do work pretty well. I was impressed by the RMR. It doesn't bloom at all. It is somewhat tricky sometimes to index correctly and see the dot. Plus side is if you have a monocular you might be able to pick it up with either eye.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 7:42:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Is there much value in using an IR only laser on handguns in conjunction with monocular NVG?
Would using regular night sights, combined with monocular NVG, allow the brain to "super imose" both images?
View Quote

It absolutely has value!
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 8:04:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It absolutely has value!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It absolutely has value!

Can you elaborate? What scenarios/conditions?
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 9:04:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Go to this thread below and scroll down and watch the first vid. You will see a pistol mounted IR laser being used. It is fast, can be fired from any position.
You can also see the bloom or Halo. I do not know what IR laser unit was used but most are to powerful and thus put off a bloom. Does it make the laser unusable, no
but the introduction of additional IR illumination helps eliminate it. As I recall a couple of companies are working on lower powered Class 1's to help eliminate this.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_18/428037_New_Unity_Glock_23_NVG_Capable_Hush_Puppy.html
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 10:30:46 PM EDT
[#9]
It's possible to reduce the output of your ir laser so it's more usable at closer range.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 6:36:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Some folks say they can use their pistol night sights, but it doesn't work for me. An IR laser is the way to go.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 7:30:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 11:22:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

More stuff has been killed on my ranch from this combo than everything else combined.

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 12:33:27 PM EDT
[#13]
The big advantage of the IR laser is that you are on a singular plane of focus. You are looking at the target, your NVG is focused there, and your dot is there. With night sights, a RMR, etc, that sighting system is in a different place and may not be in focus.

Another advantage is you do not need any sort of weapon alignment in order to see your point of impact.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 3:06:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The big advantage of the IR laser is that you are on a singular plane of focus. You are looking at the target, your NVG is focused there, and your dot is there. With night sights, a RMR, etc, that sighting system is in a different place and may not be in focus.

Another advantage is you do not need any sort of weapon alignment in order to see your point of impact.
View Quote

To be clear : With RMR. you are also in a single focal plane

As has been pointed out, night sights can work but take practice and are tough to be precise.   With infinity focus, the night sight dots are more like olympic rings than dots under goggle.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 4:27:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He is saying you do not even have to look at your gun/sights with a laser. This is very handy with a pistol since you can point it in all different directions with ease. For example I can use a tree for cover, look around right side and shoot around the left side.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 4:38:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Just tried PVS14/nigh sights at the range. Definitely NO GO. While I could pick the night sights up, it took too long and they were too faint. Of course, I left the lazer at home, so couldn't try it the other way.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 6:44:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

He is saying you do not even have to look at your gun/sights with a laser. This is very handy with a pistol since you can point it in all different directions with ease. For example I can use a tree for cover, look around right side and shoot around the left side.
View Quote

I understand what he is saying.  He said RMRs required dual plane focus which is not true.  His other point about lasers making it easier for positional shooting is true as you point out.  Bloom from IR lasers makes a much larger and less precise dot than the RMR.

See Goterone's videos in this thread for an excellent comparison at pistol ranges.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_18/428037_New_Unity_Glock_23_NVG_Capable_Hush_Puppy.html
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 7:38:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 5:39:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I understand what he is saying.  He said RMRs required dual plane focus which is not true.  His other point about lasers making it easier for positional shooting is true as you point out.  Bloom from IR lasers makes a much larger and less precise dot than the RMR.

See Goterone's videos in this thread for an excellent comparison at pistol ranges.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Renegade is correct you are reading into what I said.

"With night sights, a RMR, etc, that sighting system is in a different place"
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:45:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:01:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
IR only laser on handguns can be useful with NV, while shooting in traditional "stances" and even more helpful for unorthodox positions, where you can't necessarily orient your pistol out and extended.

Using regular night sights over your dominant eye and night vision over the non dominant eye, absolutely does not work. (meaning not relying on your monocular eye to get the sight picture)  Your brain doesn't superimpose the two images together. I have heard people argue it on here before, but believe me I have tested this theory with myself and multiple other students until I am blue in the face. Can you get rounds on paper on a human silhouette at 3 or 5 yards? sure, it isn't going to be with precision though. But that's not because your brain merges the images together to be useful. It's because your bodies natural ability to be able to line up the pistol at center mass at short distances.

I am a huge fan of using red dot optics on pistols for night vision. I like this method and prefer it over an IR laser on the pistol, because I can use my red dot optic during day or night firing, whereas with the IR laser, I can only use it with night vision. For me, I can justify the red dot method over the IR laser, when it comes to a pistol.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
IR only laser on handguns can be useful with NV, while shooting in traditional "stances" and even more helpful for unorthodox positions, where you can't necessarily orient your pistol out and extended.

Using regular night sights over your dominant eye and night vision over the non dominant eye, absolutely does not work. (meaning not relying on your monocular eye to get the sight picture)  Your brain doesn't superimpose the two images together. I have heard people argue it on here before, but believe me I have tested this theory with myself and multiple other students until I am blue in the face. Can you get rounds on paper on a human silhouette at 3 or 5 yards? sure, it isn't going to be with precision though. But that's not because your brain merges the images together to be useful. It's because your bodies natural ability to be able to line up the pistol at center mass at short distances.

I am a huge fan of using red dot optics on pistols for night vision. I like this method and prefer it over an IR laser on the pistol, because I can use my red dot optic during day or night firing, whereas with the IR laser, I can only use it with night vision. For me, I can justify the red dot method over the IR laser, when it comes to a pistol.

as I am considering going into NV soon, is there a light involved?

If it is very dark I have to guess IR light?

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 2:00:57 PM EDT
[#22]
If it's I^2 (image intensification) technology, then yes, you need at least some light. There are plenty of IR spectrum illuminators/flashlights and PVS14 aslo has its own illuminator.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:25:31 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
More stuff has been killed on my ranch from this combo than everything else combined.

http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz314/Umbrarian/Guns/Glock-AA1722.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What holster are you using? Or are you?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:55:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

London Bridge.

I use that mostly for pest control around house. When I see evidence of problems (digging, droppings, etc). I set up wireless IR camera near problem area which connects to my home network. Video feeds to app, app beeps when motion is detected. Then go out shoot, come back in and watch TV.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:26:51 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
London Bridge.

I use that mostly for pest control around house. When I see evidence of problems (digging, droppings, etc). I set up wireless IR camera near problem area which connects to my home network. Video feeds to app, app beeps when motion is detected. Then go out shoot, come back in and watch TV.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Originally Posted By Renegade

London Bridge.

I need that.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:33:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

What do you do with the bodies? You don't have a hog farm by chance, do you?  
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:37:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
What do you do with the bodies? You don't have a hog farm by chance, do you?  
View Quote

Buzzards gotta eat, same as the worms (you knew I was going to write that).
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:29:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Renegade,

I like that setup.  What type of IR unit is that?   Something like that would rock with my pvs14.  I've got unending coons around here.  Neighbor shot 63 in 2 weeks near his silage pile and he wasn't even actively hunting them.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:34:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Renegade,

I like that setup.  What type of IR unit is that?   Something like that would rock with my pvs14.  I've got unending coons around here.  Neighbor shot 63 in 2 weeks near his silage pile and he wasn't even actively hunting them.
View Quote

Renegade's Glock is sporting a UNI-IR laser.  I have a couple, but for use on a pistol, the Crimson Trace Rail Master IR is better than the UNI, IMHO.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:49:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Renegade's Glock is sporting a UNI-IR laser.  I have a couple, but for use on a pistol, the Crimson Trace Rail Master IR is better than the UNI, IMHO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Renegade,

Yep, AA 22LR kit, AAC/Prodigy Silencer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top