BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 16
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 12:03:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 2:53:51 PM EDT
[#2]
And if ya try a shot thru the fence you'll miss the several feet of open air in it and hit the 7/32nd of wire in between.

Distances?
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 11:06:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 8:39:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Getting the hang of the MKII 19mm and IR Patrol.  

Link Posted: 3/4/2016 8:44:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 8:59:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks.  Got hits from 40 yards to 250 with the MKII and 300 blk.  Easy to ID dogs at 300-350 with the patrol.  350-400 with the MKII.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 11:38:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/17/2016 8:42:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 8:35:55 PM EDT
[#9]
A little side by side comparison between the video output of the 35mm mk3 compared to what a GoPro records through the viewfinder.  Both have their pluses and minuses.

Link Posted: 3/20/2016 10:00:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 10:19:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks!

That second video is really great!  I love the mix of the i2 and the thermal.

How are you recording the thermal using the GoPro?
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 10:37:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 8:55:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Root no more. IR Hunter MK3 60mm and .308 . I am using my bolt gun since there is so much moon now. It will go back to within a couple inches when jumping the scope from gun to gun. I can then rezero with one or two shots.

Link Posted: 3/26/2016 6:27:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 8:20:41 PM EDT
[#15]
That's a heck of a couple piles of pork!!  Both the single monster and the pile of little ones!!!
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 2:21:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 2:34:08 PM EDT
[#17]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Root no more. IR Hunter MK3 60mm and .308 . I am using my bolt gun since there is so much moon now. It will go back to within a couple inches when jumping the scope from gun to gun. I can then rezero with one or two shots.

http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r578/VARMINATOR/Mobile%20Uploads/image_14.jpeg
View Quote

This video explains how to swap your IR Hunter between guns and re-zero without firing a shot.

Link Posted: 5/17/2016 1:30:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 1:55:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 1:01:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 7:20:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r578/VARMINATOR/Mobile%20Uploads/image_14.jpeg
View Quote

Boy, baby killer right there
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 8:04:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 4:30:54 PM EDT
[#23]
selfish tag for more inputs
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 8:11:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 11:36:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Here is a review recently submitted by a customer that purchased a MK III 60mm.

Reviewer: Ross B from Sioux City, IA United States

I originally was buying this scope to use as a handheld, to use with my ATN Thor 640 that I had on my rifle.  Tyler told me to be prepared to mount this scope and use the Thor for a handheld.  As usual he was right.  After looking through the MK III, I can hardly use the Thor at all.  

The MK III will easily show me a coyote at 800 yards that the Thor has no idea is there.  The Thor is not a bad scope, I shot more than 30 coyotes with it last season.  It's just that the MK III is so much better.  The sight picture will floor you the first time you look through the scope.  On a clear night with good thermal balance, the comparison between the Thor and the MKIII is like comparing the binoculars that came with your son's toy cowboy outfit to a pair of Leupold 10x50s.  

The clarity is amazing.  The little bit I have tried it, due to this scope's clarity and sight picture sharpness, it can be used as a daytime scope for shots at a couple of  hundred yards. Not a complaint, but the field of view is very tight at 7 degrees. Anything close takes a bit to find, but again not a complaint. I have trouble keeping my hands warm and the 3 turret adjustment system is a God send.  Adjustments are easily made with the heaviest winter gloves on. I found this especially helpful as this scope needs almost constant recalibration.  At least in very cold Iowa weather it does.  Inconvenient, but certainly not a deal breaker.  Some bad points that I have found.  The rerticle you use, unless you use the R1 choice, has to be set every time you turn the scope on.  The reticle is either black or white and you have no control of which the scope uses.  It determines, by sensing the light conditions, which color to be.  I like to think that I am smart enough to choose the color that will  work best in my situation.  The range finder works great on a static target, but try to do the adjusting necessary on a coyote that never stands still for more than a few seconds.  I have never hunted hogs, but if they stand still for more than a few seconds, then this range finder is the thing to have.  When using the set-up screen and setting your vertical height, unless you always want it set to 2 yards, you have to go in and adjust it every time you turn the scope on.  The "manual" that comes with it is lacking some needed info.  It doesn't mention the settings that have to be made each time the scope is turned on: video out must be turned on (if you intend on taking video) and frame rate has to set at 60hz.  As mentioned, the yardage for the range finder goes to default when the unit is shut off, both vertical and horizontal.  It lists ETR as one of the features but doesn't tell you what it is.  I know now, I looked it up.  Minor things but I had to call Tyler and ask why my DVR no longer took videos and told me that there was no input.  Somehow my frame rate had gotten changed to 30hz and that doesn't  work.   If you can afford this unit, then you can afford the external battery kit for it.  It will pay for itself many times over both in dollars and convenience.  The small lithium batteries this scope requires can be purchased in the $25 dollar range for a dozen.  

They will last at most about 2 hours.  I use the external battery and never turn the scope off when I am out.  That avoids making all the changes in the setup screen and the battery is good for better than 16 hours and is rechargeable.   The on-screen battery indicator doesn't work with the external battery but the battery itself has an indicator on it.  All-in-all you couldn't get this scope away from me for any amount.  
I've gone out with this scope when I could barely see the road because of the heavy fog.  You have to look down the gun barrel every so often to make sure you are pointing it in the right direction, but finding targets is not a problem.  It won't "see" as far but I didn't have any problem shooting a fox at 200 yards in heavy.

I was able to detect a ground squirrel at 400 yards and shoot a ground squirrel at 257 yards on clear day.

The minor complaints stem mostly from the reliance of the  easy technology of the day.  A bad button on the TV remote sends us into a rage.  I can remember when we had to get up and cross the room to change a channel.  And then adjust the vertical hold.  In closing, if you are looking for a thermal weapon sight, look no further than this unit.  I guarantee that you will love it.

View Quote

Any software updates that will fix that?
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 8:54:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 2:49:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 10:54:35 PM EDT
[#28]

Which silk tripod are you using.

I did a diy with a section of picatinny rail attached to my quick release and it attached fine to the ar15 quad rail and movement is smooth, but tripod mid section is plastic so it has some flex to it when letting go of the rifle.
I am looking for a tripod not made out of plastic, to eliminate any flex so when I let go of the rifle it stays on target.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 12:27:54 AM EDT
[#29]
FWIW- I used to use surveyor's tripods for my old "Ultimater Tripods" I used to make for groundhogging up in the hills. It worked pretty good With the old Hart Ultimate Tripod swivel joint. Had grand plans to make a rest out of one of those bigger Pana-vice heads at one time. But got sidetracked into boats and outta the hills before I made that happen.
This is the only pic I've found of the old setup. The 22-250AI is set up with rails and a pedestal rest top on the Hart knuckle. The tripod was fiberglass. Very light, very sturdy. It had a full range of smooth motion and locked up very well considering the dynamics of the rig.
The other was an aluminum surveyor's tripod with a Pana-vice mount for the camera.  d:^)  Jake..

Link Posted: 10/2/2016 6:32:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 12:49:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Does anybody make a rubber eye-shade for the IR Defense units that actually stays attached to the scope when you look through it?

Their factory rubber shade is a fucking joke.

Link Posted: 10/13/2016 8:13:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Does anybody make a rubber eye-shade for the IR Defense units that actually stays attached to the scope when you look through it?

View Quote

I use one of these for my MKII  https://tnvc.com/shop/pvs-14-pvs-7-rubber-eyecup/

I haven't had any issues with it coming off yet.  That being said I'm not lugging it around the field or woods.  I set up on my property usually shooting from my front porch or back deck.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 10:49:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 8:41:40 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
  The UNV Shuttered Eye Guard Anchor (SEGA) Ring is a drop-in replacement for the standard PVS-14 eye-cup retaining ring. The SEGA Ring uses more surface area, giving it a more secure point of contact to anchor a standard PVS-14 shuttered eye guard more securely than the standard PVS-14 eye-cup retainer. The SEGA Ring is available now and will be included with all of our IR Hunter units going forward.
http://www.ultimatenightvision.com/v/vspfiles/photos/UNV-SEGA-3.jpg
http://www.ultimatenightvision.com/v/vspfiles/photos/UNV-SEGA-4.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The UNV Shuttered Eye Guard Anchor (SEGA) Ring is a drop-in replacement for the standard PVS-14 eye-cup retaining ring. The SEGA Ring uses more surface area, giving it a more secure point of contact to anchor a standard PVS-14 shuttered eye guard more securely than the standard PVS-14 eye-cup retainer. The SEGA Ring is available now and will be included with all of our IR Hunter units going forward.
http://www.ultimatenightvision.com/v/vspfiles/photos/UNV-SEGA-3.jpg
http://www.ultimatenightvision.com/v/vspfiles/photos/UNV-SEGA-4.jpg
Price for one of these units?  Thanks.

Found it on your website. Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 3:42:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 8:48:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 10:14:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 11:54:32 AM EDT
[#38]

Tyler, is that a Reap-IR in front of your Elcan?
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 12:51:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 2:45:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Nice Hog and a very cool picture Tyler.

I like the look of the Shuttered Eye Guard Anchor (SEGA) Ring. Looks well designed and solid.
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 11:00:03 AM EDT
[#41]
With the Video Recorder. Do you need to reformat the sd card in the recorder every time the card is taken to the computer and then back to the recorder?

I had some test videos work. But I reviewed them on the computer, took the card straight back to the recorder and had my first two yote kills.

The recorder gave me the power on vibrate and I believed it was recording using the trigger like my test videos. But when I reviewed the card none of the video I took from the hunt was recorded.

Using a REAP-IR and UNV Recorder. Which settings should the recorder be on for format style? There are three options.
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 8:07:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 11:29:31 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Only need to format the SD card once. Make sure you are on 60hz and have video output on. There is a vibrate alert function on the MDVR that lets you know if you aren't getting video in the field vs after the event. Hope that helps.

Shot a few last night with the MK 3 60mm.
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d6/tnadair/ARFCOM/29F7E2EB-29D2-469F-BDA2-DA360B824D2C_zpsaxcly1of.jpg

View Quote

Dayum...what part of Texas is that?  
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 11:09:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 7:57:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 10:26:07 AM EDT
[#46]
Didn't get the video from the hunt. Next time.

Managed one opossum on the first night with the Reap-IR.

Two coyotes in 2 sets on the first night hunt. The second set brought in 3 dogs. But I couldn't get the follow up shot on the second dog.

I was worried the low magnification would be a hindrance in our open landscape. And the dogs get very alert inside 100yds so most shots are best being taken around that range.

The Reap does fantastic at that range. One dog was 150 yards and the shot was a none issue. I'd be comfortable with a 200 yard shot using my tripod.

Easily spots deer in a field 1300 yards away. Spotted coyotes 400 yards out and that lone opossum 250 yards out.

I'm extremely happy with the unit so far. Not the best with the joystick yet. But It's better than I expected it would be with gloves.

The setup on my rifle is very compact and clean. Using the HD Recorder and USB battery pack. My biggest complaint is the Video out cable end is very easy to hit when slinging the rifle or setting it down. I'm afraid I will damage the connector in time.

To be able to spot these animals so far out is amazing. I wouldn't want to even consider how much I would have missed with NVG's at these distances. Scanning with the rifle is heavy and cumbersome. Using the tripod and swiveling makes things easier. I find I'll scan and then rest 30sec-2min and rescan for something in the distance. Any more magnification would be very unhandy.

Highly recommended for those on the fence

Link Posted: 11/16/2016 12:42:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 10:30:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 3:03:08 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 2:09:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Will you be renting out the Snipe-IR.  I want to compare it to the Mkii I got from you last year.
Page / 16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top