BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 16

<td style="color: rgb(102, 102, 102); font-size: 13px; list-style: inside;">

<td style="color: rgb(102, 102, 102); font-size: 13px; list-style: inside;">

Reviewer: Muscatine Police Department from Muscatine, IA

Tactical Advantage in the Dark of NightJuly 17, 2014

We (Muscatine Police Department) needed a device that we could use to operate a weapons systems in the dark of night. The tactical turret knobs make it easy to switch settings and the accuracy was as precise as my Acog. The IR Hunter will allow us to effectively engage threats in the dark of night and give us a tactical advantage against our adversaries.

Killin Pigs

Below is the video of 6 out of 6 pigs being exterminated with the IRH.
One important thing to note is that not a single one of these pigs broke
50 pounds. They were all very small for some reason and it's not a great comparison video to
other videos where we have shot bigger pigs. The 1st and 6th pig were
DRT, but pigs 2-4 were recovered about 10 feet deep in the nearest brush line.
Below is an example of one of the pig/rats that were taken. This pig is
the 1st pig in the video.  

[youtube]http://youtu.be/MbGEwLEROVo[/youtube]
Posted: 7/17/2014 5:34:47 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 11:11:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Very interesting, thanks for the review.  When you say you were able to collimate the IRH, how is this done on the the unit?  Is this somehow adjusted electronically?
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 11:40:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 11:56:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There is a clip on mode which moves the scene instead of the reticle. You just align the scene to match your day optic.    Step 1). Bench your gun with zeroed Elcan.
Step 2). Select CO mode and mount the IRH in front of optic.
Step 3). Check your zero, and if its changed at all adjust the IRH scene to match your day optic reticle.

Optional step 4). Go 6 for 6 on murdering small Louisiana pig rats.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Very interesting, thanks for the review.  When you say you were able to collimate the IRH, how is this done on the the unit?  Is this somehow adjusted electronically?
There is a clip on mode which moves the scene instead of the reticle. You just align the scene to match your day optic.    Step 1). Bench your gun with zeroed Elcan.
Step 2). Select CO mode and mount the IRH in front of optic.
Step 3). Check your zero, and if its changed at all adjust the IRH scene to match your day optic reticle.

Optional step 4). Go 6 for 6 on murdering small Louisiana pig rats.

That's really cool.  Prices on these don't look too bad either.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 9:10:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks good but I have thought from day one they need to round off the on/off knob to reduce the chance of the scope getting turned on by mistake.The current switch just sticks out to far.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 2:34:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 1:23:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

We then drove to Louisiana to do some hunting,

View Quote

My phone never rang.  :(
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 3:20:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We then drove to Louisiana to do some hunting,

You have phones in Louisiana?
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 11:08:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 1:59:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 2:03:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 3:06:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It uses a different area to save weapon sight zero from Clip-on zero. So, yes you can easily use as both.    

The image won't be quite as sharp as a manual focus lens like the Janos lenses on the ThoRs, but the IRH has strengths in other areas that are unrivaled. Its a give and take on what features you want.?

Update: the IRH survived a .338 lapua with no shut-offs. More on that later.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Question: When used as a clip on, and you go to CO mode, does the unit use a different screen/processor part or do you loose everything if you had been using
it as a weapon sight and had it sighted in?

Second question: is the 640 units actual picture as good as the Thors?
It uses a different area to save weapon sight zero from Clip-on zero. So, yes you can easily use as both.    

The image won't be quite as sharp as a manual focus lens like the Janos lenses on the ThoRs, but the IRH has strengths in other areas that are unrivaled. Its a give and take on what features you want.?

Update: the IRH survived a .338 lapua with no shut-offs. More on that later.

Will the ThOR 640 5x handle a .338 LM? I've been tempted to put it on mine, but would like a Yay / Nay from Sachal or someone in-the-know.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 3:08:55 PM EDT
[#12]
This is a unit I am very interested in. Thanks for the information.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 3:36:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 6:50:45 PM EDT
[#14]

This is a unit I am very interested in. Thanks for the information
View Quote

UNV has these to rent I have one coming next week to check out. Try before you buy it's well worth it ,plus you can apply the rental cost to your purchase!
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 7:00:13 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

UNV has these to rent I have one coming next week to check out. Try before you buy it's well worth it ,plus you can apply the rental cost to your purchase!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

This is a unit I am very interested in. Thanks for the information

This a good call
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 7:15:25 PM EDT
[#16]
After I check out the IR hunter this week I will have used a RS64 (rented), THOR (buddies scope) and IR hunter(rented) all in the last couple of weeks. Then I will order my favorite model that works best for me. Renting is great for thermal scopes as most places will not let you return a thermal scope after its been mounted on a rifle.  How are you going to know if a thermal scope works well or not if you don't try it first and then if it sucks your flat out stuck with it or sale it at a loss.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 8:40:24 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

After I check out the IR hunter this week I will have used a RS64 (rented), THOR (buddies scope) and IR hunter(rented) all in the last couple of weeks. Then I will order my favorite model that works best for me. Renting is great for thermal scopes as most places will not let you return a thermal scope after its been mounted on a rifle.  How are you going to know if a thermal scope works well or not if you don't try it first and then if it sucks your flat out stuck with it or sale it at a loss.
View Quote
I will await your review

Link Posted: 8/5/2014 12:32:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Spikes08, I’ve only had a chance to use the IR hunter 640 1.5X a couple hours so far, but will give you my first observations.

First the IR hunter housing has “WOW” factor to it very impressive construction. It’s very compact, streamlined and sort of heavy feeling for its size. I like the design a lot compared to other models I have used over the last few weeks. In fact I would go as far to say it’s my favorite thermal scope housing I’ve seen in person.

Battery Housing/Cap is low and tight against the rifle rail so yes it can be a tough to take off if you have big hands. That said this sucker has a Larue mount I have no issue with taking the scope off the rifle (If needed) to install new batteries. I have never had any Larue mount fail to go back to zero in fact I think it’s one of the best mounts made for the money. So like the battery setup or not it shouldn’t be a deal killer to stop someone from ordering this model.    

Battery life, well it’s a thermal they all eat batteries like candy. I ran through the first set of 123A’s pretty quick maybe 2 hours, but I’m not sure if they were brand new as they were already in the scope when it arrived.

IR Hunter Fixed Focus Front Objective:  I prefer the THOR manual focus style you can really adjust it to a perfect crisp image at any range. That said the IR Hunter 640 1.5X I’m renting isn’t “horrible” in actuality it’s about the same as the FLIR PS/LS/ RS models I’ve seen using the same fixed focus. Point blank range (5-10 yards) the image isn’t perfectly crisp focused but plenty good enough to still hammer critters. Mid to long range no issue as far as seeing good detail and shooting. I thought the 1.5X 640 model image looked pretty good overall maybe not the best I ever seen, but far from the worse, so let’s just call it average. Bottom line the fixed focus will never produce the perfectly crisp image at “all ranges” vs. a manual style. That said you never have to adjust the front lens so as far as “speed” the auto/fixed focus lens is ready to shoot always, sort of like the old MK845 1.5X fixed lens NV scope I own.

Controls and Switches:  I love the turrets on the IR hunter, wow they are so nice/easy to scroll through the menu, plus they have a solid tactical feel to them. I don’t mind buttons like on the FLIR RS or THOR for controls as they have some advantages to them also, but the turrets win out for me.

LCD screen and Reticles: LCD screen is big, clear and “Very Nice” that’s all I can say about it. Reticles in my opinion are the best I’ve seen in a thermal scope period.  

Image Contrast: This is a subject most new thermal buyers don’t understand until they have seen several different models.  The IR hunter has “average” contrast to me as compared to my FLIR, ATN, and pulsar thermal systems I’ve owned and used. What does average that mean? Well it means I have seen better and worse. Just kidding, its similar to what you see with the FLIR line up on PS/LS/RS models which does surprise me as with the big beautiful LCD screen the IR hunter has I would  have expected it to look more like the ATN or Pulsar OLEDS which really “pop” image contrast wise to your eye.

I have had zero issues through the first set of batteries everything works like it should no surprises.

Overall, I like the IR Hunter scope the great housing and controls rock. The reticles are bad @@@ and very fine/crisp so it’s easy to pick a small spot on target. Image and contrast wise I have to give the edge to the THOR line up. I think there is still some room to improve the IR Hunter scope even more, but I can say that about the FLIR RS and THOR’s I’ve owned and tested. I have yet to see a perfect Thermal scope, but I hope to see one sooner vs. later!

As of today I have reached my thermal scope buying decision and ordered a IR Hunter 336 2X model this morning from UNV (Thanks for the good pricing and service Tyler!). I also plan to order a new THOR 336 3X or 4.5X very soon.  
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 1:54:37 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Spikes08, I’ve only had a chance to use the IR hunter 640 1.5X a couple hours so far, but will give you my first observations.

First the IR hunter housing has "WOW” factor to it very impressive construction. It’s very compact, streamlined and sort of heavy feeling for its size. I like the design a lot compared to other models I have used over the last few weeks. In fact I would go as far to say it’s my favorite thermal scope housing I’ve seen in person.

Battery Housing/Cap is low and tight against the rifle rail so yes it can be a tough to take off if you have big hands. That said this sucker has a Larue mount I have no issue with taking the scope off the rifle (If needed) to install new batteries. I have never had any Larue mount fail to go back to zero in fact I think it’s one of the best mounts made for the money. So like the battery setup or not it shouldn’t be a deal killer to stop someone from ordering this model.    

Battery life, well it’s a thermal they all eat batteries like candy. I ran through the first set of 123A’s pretty quick maybe 2 hours, but I’m not sure if they were brand new as they were already in the scope when it arrived.

IR Hunter Fixed Focus Front Objective:  I prefer the THOR manual focus style you can really adjust it to a perfect crisp image at any range. That said the IR Hunter 640 1.5X I’m renting isn’t "horrible” in actuality it’s about the same as the FLIR PS/LS/ RS models I’ve seen using the same fixed focus. Point blank range (5-10 yards) the image isn’t perfectly crisp focused but plenty good enough to still hammer critters. Mid to long range no issue as far as seeing good detail and shooting. I thought the 1.5X 640 model image looked pretty good overall maybe not the best I ever seen, but far from the worse, so let’s just call it average. Bottom line the fixed focus will never produce the perfectly crisp image at "all ranges” vs. a manual style. That said you never have to adjust the front lens so as far as "speed” the auto/fixed focus lens is ready to shoot always, sort of like the old MK845 1.5X fixed lens NV scope I own.

Controls and Switches:  I love the turrets on the IR hunter, wow they are so nice/easy to scroll through the menu, plus they have a solid tactical feel to them. I don’t mind buttons like on the FLIR RS or THOR for controls as they have some advantages to them also, but the turrets win out for me.

LCD screen and Reticles: LCD screen is big, clear and "Very Nice” that’s all I can say about it. Reticles in my opinion are the best I’ve seen in a thermal scope period.  

Image Contrast: This is a subject most new thermal buyers don’t understand until they have seen several different models.  The IR hunter has "average” contrast to me as compared to my FLIR, ATN, and pulsar thermal systems I’ve owned and used. What does average that mean? Well it means I have seen better and worse. Just kidding, its similar to what you see with the FLIR line up on PS/LS/RS models which does surprise me as with the big beautiful LCD screen the IR hunter has I would  have expected it to look more like the ATN or Pulsar OLEDS which really "pop” image contrast wise to your eye.

I have had zero issues through the first set of batteries everything works like it should no surprises.

Overall, I like the IR Hunter scope the great housing and controls rock. The reticles are bad @@@ and very fine/crisp so it’s easy to pick a small spot on target. Image and contrast wise I have to give the edge to the THOR line up. I think there is still some room to improve the IR Hunter scope even more, but I can say that about the FLIR RS and THOR’s I’ve owned and tested. I have yet to see a perfect Thermal scope, but I hope to see one sooner vs. later!

As of today I have reached my thermal scope buying decision and ordered a IR Hunter 336 2X model this morning from UNV (Thanks for the good pricing and service Tyler!). I also plan to order a new THOR 336 3X or 4.5X very soon.  

View Quote

I can't tell you how much I appreciate your feedback on this unit.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 2:15:14 PM EDT
[#20]
No problem, I will let you know how the IR Hunter 336 2X model performs when it arrives. If I was only buying one scope it would have been a hard pick between the THOR and IR Hunter for me as each has it's own strong points. I had the choice of buying two 336 thermal scopes or one 640 thermal scope within my budget.. While the 640 systems are super, super sweet I found the 336 systems worked to do 95% of what the 640's did for me with just alittle less clarity/sharpness to the image. I wish I could have bought two 640 systems, but I am blessed to be able to get two new 336 scopes so will smile and be happy!
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 2:26:33 PM EDT
[#21]
For my budget I am interested in this unit

IR HUNTER 3 - 12 x 35MM, 320x240 Thermal Weapon Scope
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 2:40:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Terry, thanks for the write up... Well done
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 9:58:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 10:08:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Looks like the battery extender will move the endcap past the on/off switch allowing for easier access to the battery compartment when mounted atop a flat top AR.

What say you?
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 11:43:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 1:18:49 AM EDT
[#26]
I rented the IR Hunter 320 35mm from UNV. Easy process by the way and an innovative program. This is my first night playing with the unit so bare with the video. I will get out and do some shooting this weekend and hopefully record various animals at various distances. Initial impressions are that the 3x unit shines outside of 25 yards. Anything closer and the image is not as crisp, which honestly isn't an issue for me.

For now I attached the unit to my iPad via the inTelligent iPad case adapter. Here is a quick video I took of the dogs

Link Posted: 8/15/2014 6:11:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I rented the IR Hunter 320 35mm from UNV. Easy process by the way and an innovative program. This is my first night playing with the unit so bare with the video. I will get out and do some shooting this weekend and hopefully record various animals at various distances. Initial impressions are that the 3x unit shines outside of 25 yards. Anything closer and the image is not as crisp, which honestly isn't an issue for me.

For now I attached the unit to my iPad via the inTelligent iPad case adapter. Here is a quick video I took of the dogs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rtaIKvVGOY&feature=em-upload_owner

View Quote

Wow! That little guy stays pretty busy marking his territory. Might want to keep your shoes on a shelf. lol
Thanks for posting the video, the ir hunter has a great reticle. Are the controls easy to use?  I have heard of some POI shift issues. Curious to how it will perform for you this weekend. Renting these thermal units for a test drive seems like a very good idea for such a large investment.

Link Posted: 8/15/2014 9:19:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Be sure to set the ocular focus as perfect as you can get it . Since you have no objective focusing haing the ocular to the perfect setting seems to really make a big difference in clarity with my IR  hunter 320 model.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 11:15:36 AM EDT
[#29]
The 3x mag might be a bit much.  The field of view is limited as a hand held viewer more than I would prefer. As a pure weapons sight between 50-200 yards its money.

The 2x model maybe a better option for those looking to use the scope as a hand held spotting tool and a weapons mounted option.

I have some vids I will process in the next view days. I was able to detect deer at 600 yards, not identify. They were easily identifiable under 200 yards.

I am going to play with an eotech x320 today for comparison.

More to come.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 9:16:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Looking forward to your complete review of the 3X. I can tell you the 336 2X IR hunter is about the perfect magnification me. No issue shooting out to 150 yards also when using the 2X zoom.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 7:23:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 8:05:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
This just in from IR Defense:

The new IR HUNTER MK II is a breakthrough in the 640 category at the lowest priced 640 system ever at $5,495.00 and made to the same quality as the IR HUNTER. Externally the new sight is identical to the existing IR HUNTER with the following improvements.

1.            Sensor is a 640x480 MicroIR BAE 12um thermal engine

2.            12um Micron mean all existing lenses have a 35% increase in magnification over 17um Micron sensors

3.            40% power savings for longer battery life

4.            Battery cap has been moved forward for easier removal and installation

5.            60hz frame rate in a 640 weapon sight – yes 60hz. We also have a selectable 30hz mode for power saving, the 60hz takes more juice to run.

6.            640x480 VGA Emagin OLED for an extra sharp image.

7.            The display size has been reduced by 20% to make it ideal for both dedicated and clip-on operations.

8.            CLIP-ON – the sight will work with a bunch of 1x and variable 1-4x, 1-6x day optics. It works as is with no changes and no need for an accessory. It will work perfect out of the box using the feature in the system to sight it in.

9.            Image capture is improved and not will show the reticles in the images and it saves more images as well.

View Quote

Wow those are some impressive features!  How big of a lens is on this $5500 scope?
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 8:26:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 8:43:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Pretty cool.  It would be really cool to do a comparison between all the units available out there throughout the entire price spectrum, mil-spec and commercial.  I'm thinking like an IR Hunter (various models), FLIR RS (various models), ATN Thor (various models), L3 LWTS, FLIR T70 and T75, and whatever else.  I'm sure it wouldn't be easy to get all that equipment looking at the same scene in the same conditions but wow that would be insightful.  If something like that happens in FL I'd be happy to drive my LWTS to wherever to do some in person comparisons.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 8:45:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 9:15:51 PM EDT
[#36]
This is why I'm selling my D740 and X320 soon with all this great new gear coming out!!!
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:53:00 PM EDT
[#37]

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:54:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
This is why I'm selling my D740 and X320 soon with all this great new gear coming out!!!
View Quote

Doesn't your wife have a spare kidney to give?

It's about time she put some skin in this game.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 11:23:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:22:47 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The 3x mag might be a bit much.  The field of view is limited as a hand held viewer more than I would prefer. As a pure weapons sight between 50-200 yards its money.

The 2x model maybe a better option for those looking to use the scope as a hand held spotting tool and a weapons mounted option.

I have some vids I will process in the next view days. I was able to detect deer at 600 yards, not identify. They were easily identifiable under 200 yards.

I am going to play with an eotech x320 today for comparison.

More to come.
View Quote

Looking forward to reading the comparison. Thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:51:44 AM EDT
[#41]
MK II 1.5X, I can see that model finding its way into my safe when they are shipping out hopefully sooner than later

On the same topic I have really been getting lots of enjoyment out of my IR Hunter 336 2X scope it's become my perfered IR thermal scope it's just so simple and fast to use in the field. I find that a big advantage vs some of the other thermal sights we have been using.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:25:44 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

MK II 1.5X, I can see that model finding its way into my safe when they are shipping out hopefully sooner than later

On the same topic I have really been getting lots of enjoyment out of my IR Hunter 336 2X scope it's become my perfered IR thermal scope it's just so simple and fast to use in the field. I find that a big advantage vs some of the other thermal sights we have been using.
View Quote

That speed-of-use thing seems more and more important. Been playing with the Thor 336 more and love everything except the start up process.

Videos coming soon.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:40:21 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

I share your enthusiasm!  How lucky are we with all this new equipment coming out?  In 2007 I SOOOOOO WANTED to buy a FLIR Thermosight for 9k!  Those were 160x120 units IIRC, but they were available when very little else was for civilians.  Then later I nearly bought a used dpt of energy TAM-14 for $4500 in 2010 which, at the time, was also a steal.  I "subsisted" with my used AN/PAS-19 units from 2009 until 2013 which honestly served me VERY VERY well.  Those things worked very well but had limited resolution, a ~30 second time to readiness, and weighed 5lb w/ mount.  Many critters died at the hands of those elderly units, they very much served their purpose.  At that time a CNVD-T was advertised at $26k new so I just figured I'd never ever have anything like that.  I once again nearly bought the FLIR RS 640 w/ 35mm lens in Feb 2014 amidst all its initial hype but stopped myself because I really wanted a clip-on.  I finally got off the fence in April of this year and bought a mil-spec L3 LWTS for $10k and could NOT possibly be happier that I waited until that time.  I still can't imagine a more perfect thermal sight, not that such a thing is not forthcoming.  Now, if this 12 micron 640 device with a BAE sensor that has both stand-alone and clip-on capabilities actually comes to fruition for its quoted price tag of just over $5k, that will be something else entirely.  When I initially got into night vision, partially by necessity and partially by the whole "always wanted one" mentality, a good thermal sight was limited in its capabilities and also VERY cost-prohibitive to most people (let alone an undergraduate student which I was at the time).  Now, gentleman, we have options.  God Bless capitalism and the free market
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 1:50:02 PM EDT
[#44]
That speed-of-use thing seems more and more important. Been playing with the Thor 336 more and love everything except the start up process.
View Quote

Yep I really like my THOR 336 3X it has great image clarity,sharpness and contrast to the image. I have no trouble to ID targets at my normal shooting ranges and well beyond. The only thing I would like improved is a faster one touch start up process like the IR hunter has I would think that could be done in the firmware. Overall that said I think the THOR 3X is a steal on the market for its performance and construction. My buddy has two Thor sights now and uses them a ton year around they hold up very well to heavy use in the field. The 336 3X is my second THOR and I really like it a lot.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:30:13 PM EDT
[#45]
What do you refer to when you say "clip on"?
Also, is there any advantage/disadvantage to the 35mm over the 19 or 20?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:01:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:26:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:37:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Great more pictures Tyler that's just what I need to see.  

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:47:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 6:07:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top