Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/15/2014 2:30:28 PM EDT
Background:
In a recent thread, I mentioned that I had previously picked up a Raytheon PAS-13B, which is an impressive military grade 320x240 Thermal Scope. It is large, solid, and the image quality is pretty good for being back from 2005. Unfortunately (for me), the PAS-13B is purely a weapon sight, and until the feral pigs have a greater population density in Michigan, I really am after more of a handheld monocular, which the PAS-13B is NOT. So, I sold the PAS-13B shortly after getting it, and instead picked up this ATN OTS-X handheld thermal monocular, hoping it would better meet my needs. The 336x256 Sensor, 800x600 30hz OLED Display, and pricetag sold me on this device compared to some of the other choices out there.

I've owned a couple of other ATN devices in the past, and have been largely unimpressed. Sorry ATN, but you really have a lot of ground to makeup, because your reputation isn't the greatest when it comes to quality. This is from my own prior experience owning your products, and from your reputation on this site, and others. Given that, I went into this ATN OTS-X purchase with pretty low expectations. I was hopeful because I read that you're one of FLIR's largest customers and all of your sensors come direct from FLIR. I've also read favorable comments about your thermal gear. Fortunately, I got into this device fairly cheap ($2100), so it was a worthwhile gamble. And no, $2100 is not cheap to me, but it sure is cheap in terms of 320x240 Thermal devices. I believe MSRP on this thing is somewhere around $4000.

My Review
The ATN OTS-X is a handheld thermal unit that comes in a few varieties. The version I have is the ATN OTS-X-F314. This version comes standard with a 14mm 1x lens. Other versions of this come with 30mm, 50mm, and 70mm lenses. If ATN would like to supply additional lenses, I would be more than happy to provide feedback, but mine only came with the 14mm.

Size wise, it is roughly about the size of a PVS-14, but in my hand, it feels like it weighs twice as much. It isn't overly heavy, though. The extra weight is likely because the housing is machined from aluminum. The battery housing looks like the same material as a PVS-14 battery housing. The objective and ocular both have adjustable focus. Basically, if you are familiar with a PVS-14, the OTS-X will be second nature to you.

Having owned the 320x240 PAS-13B, I was expecting ATN's offering to be significantly lesser quality, considering how much it cost compared to the PAS-13B's original $20,000-ish MSRP. However, I was pleasantly surprised by this little ATN monocular. In fact, I think the image quality on this sensor is actually pretty good. I know the 800x600 OLED display blows away that of the PAS-13B. On this ATN, the images are crisp and I can even focus on my arms and even see my arm hair! I can actually see very fine details with this scope that I was not able to see on the PAS-13B.

My only real complaint is that this device has some type of Automatic Brightness Control. When I pan around and find a hot object, the entire display adjusts and it makes difficult to see anything else that was previously in the background other than the "hot object" within view.  I've tried recalibrating the device multiple times, but it seems that you can't fix this. If you notice my photos, the subjects are nice and clear, but the background is almost non-existent. I'm not sure how to correct this and there seems to be no way in the menu to disable the automatic brightness control. I'm guessing it is caused because so much of the view window is taken up by the "hot subject", since this didn't seem to be a major issue when I was looking up and down my street it might be a complete non-issue. I'm not sure what ATN feels is the optimal viewing distance.

Usage:
There are 3 buttons and an on/off switch for this device. The buttons feel solid, and the switch feels as solid as the switch on my PVS-14, if not moreso. This thermal monocular feels sold, and incredibly well-built. It is really easy to use, and the inclusion of a quick reference guide is an excellent choice by ATN. The menu is easy to use and is straight forward. The menu options let you specify color pallet, zoom, rotation, OLED brightness, and display mode.

The OTS-X operates off a single CR123 / CR123A battery and should yield a little over 2 hours of battery life. I have a surplus of CR123's, so I'm actually excited to use them! The battery cap attaches just like that of a PVS-14. The included lens cap has a spring retention so it snaps firmly in place and locks securely. I do wish it was tethered to the device though. The rubber eye cup feels thicker than the eyecup on a PVS-7/PVS-14. I actually prefer ATN's eyecup. The ring that retains the eyecup rotates freely and rattles a little, so I have a minor complaint there.

As for connectors, there is a female MCX Video out port. I actually plan on building my own MCX to RCA cable - it should run ~$15, so that is another bonus, because cables for these types of devices are generally stupid expensive.

The overall package for this device is great. The case reminds me of a Hardigg Storm case, which is excellent. There are spots for 2 batteries, and additional lens, and the monocular. My device came with the Monocular, Lens cap, Rubber eyecup, Case, 2 batteries, neck cord, cleaning cloth, and includes a product manual, warranty documentation, and the previously mentioned quick start guide. The guides and the manual are pretty well written, and easy to read. It wasn't difficult to read like some of my electonic manuals.

At the end of the day, I think this device will meet my needs. I'm actually pretty excited about it, and will likely hang on to it. Also, kudos to ATN for inlaying the serial # sticker, and then filling the inlay cavity with epoxy so someone can't just remove the sticker.

Specifications:
   Resolution 320 x 240
   Ergonomic Design
   Fast Imaging (30hz)
   Compact Rugged Construction
   Interchangable Optics
   E-Zoom
   Variable Geometry Display
   Digital Brightness Control
   Icon Based Menu System
   Color Modes
   Black/White Polarity
   VOx Vanadium Oxide Detector
   800x600 Display
   Video Output
   Made in USA

Sensor (microbolometer)320 x 240
TypeUncooled
MaterialVanadium oxide (VOx)
Image Size (output resolution)800x600
Frame rate30 Hz
Video outputAnalog RS-170
Lens14 mm
DisplayColor OLED matrix, SVGA< 800x600
Thermal Sensitivity<50mK
Spectral Response7-14 µm
Field of View25°
Eye Relief27 mm
Diopter Adjustment-1.5
Optical Magnification1X
E-Zoom2X, 4X
Human Detection500 m
Human Recognition225 m
Human Identification135 m
Vehicle Detection1100 m
Vehicle Recognition495 m
Vehicle Identification300 m
Polarity controlWhite hot / Black hot / Multiple Color Modes
Start up time<4 sec
WaterproofYes
Battery type1 x CR123A battery type
Battery Life2+ hrs
Weight0,83 lb /375 grams
Dimensions100 x 61 x 83 mm /4x2.4x3.3"
Warranty1 year
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 2:48:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Does that have a 1/4x20 threaded hole?
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 2:54:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Does that have a 1/4x20 threaded hole?
View Quote

Yes, it in the 4th pic from the top.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 3:22:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 3:29:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
chosos, thank you for an excellent review. I appreciate you doing this for the forum members. You are right that we have an uphill battle but you will see that ATN is an entirely new company now. All our emphasis is on good customer service and offering the customer best bang for their money.

Let me know if you have any questions about the unit. Also there is an image capture cable and software available. That should really help capturing those images.

Yes OTS can also be tripod mounted.
View Quote

Do you have a link to that software / cable? I'm curious as to how the software would work or how this connects to a computer to use the software.

This is also a little confusing because when I google ATN OTS-X Cable, I actually see 2 types of cables mistakenly posted for this device.
This one:

But what I need looks to more closely resemble the cable listed for an ATN Thor:

Can you speak to this?
My only real complaint is that this device has some type of Automatic Brightness Control. When I pan around and find a hot object, the entire display adjusts and it makes difficult to see anything else that was previously in the background other than the "hot object" within view. I've tried recalibrating the device multiple times, but it seems that you can't fix this. If you notice my photos, the subjects are nice and clear, but the background is almost non-existent. I'm not sure how to correct this and there seems to be no way in the menu to disable the automatic brightness control.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 3:35:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey, that looks like mine .  If your like me it's only a matter of time before you order the 2X or 4X lens as I can only dream of how nice the extra mag would be for viewing more open areas. Being able to change lens totally out is a huge plus the OTS-X has in its corner. The more I use and compare my 314 to other thermal thermal viewers in its price range the more I respect it's construction and performance.

Also on the issue you have with hot objects and back ground is pretty normal to all the flir thermal core systems I have seen when viewing a hot object at close range. While in the field viewing animals  at normal ranges I see the back ground just as clear. You may test that outdoors this evening

here's my image capture cable you may try Tyler at UNV if you need one.

Link Posted: 7/15/2014 3:43:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Hey, that looks like mine .  If your like me it's only a matter of time before you order the 2X or 4X lens as I can only dream of how nice the extra mag would be for viewing more open areas. Being able to change lens totally out is a huge plus the OTS-X has in its corner. The more I use and compare my 314 to other thermal thermal viewers in its price range the more I respect it's construction and performance.
View Quote

It would be great if SachalATN had a lens or two for us to review.  ;-)
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 3:46:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

here's my image capture cable you may try Tyler at UNV if you need one.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s100/SteelDixon/305605E2-2C94-46DA-BB32-3552646207A5-30574-0000349885B55DF0_zpsc12539b3.jpg
View Quote

I actually ordered that exact connector from Binder... however, my video out is a MCX port. Do you have multiple pin inputs in your video out port? Mine only has 1 pin.
Like this:
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 3:48:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It would also be nice if he addressed your issue/concern about the background issue instead of just thanking you for the review.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 3:50:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Yep mine is the 8 pin style
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 3:57:07 PM EDT
[#10]
we must have different versions, then.

when i turn mine on, it says:
ATN OTS-X
320x240

Ver 3.2.

I noticed that I have 14 color modes, but I don't seem to have a green mode that some of the product documentation shows at sites like optics planet.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 5:55:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
we must have different versions, then.

when i turn mine on, it says:
ATN OTS-X
320x240

Ver 3.2.

I noticed that I have 14 color modes, but I don't seem to have a green mode that some of the product documentation shows at sites like optics planet.
View Quote

The newest models have the 8 pin connector.

I also have an OTS-X and when compared to other 320 units in the same price range, it can not be beat!!
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 8:08:49 AM EDT
[#12]
I sent a PM to SachalATN about getting my firmware or the data port updated. Hopefully Sachal has good news for me.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 8:17:00 AM EDT
[#13]
On the eye cup the PVS-14 shuttered eye cup fits the OTS-X ocular perfect(also no noise). I am running mine this way for a couple reasons, first being it limits stray light on your face/body if your a hunter. Second last fall using my THOR I noticed on cold nights your breath can fog the ocular if you exhaled while rising the scope/viewer. With the PVS-14 shuttered eye guard it really reduced my fogging issue in half so I added one to my OTS-X first thing.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 8:27:59 AM EDT
[#14]
I wish I had one of these to try a dual NVG/Thermal setup.  Ultimate nerdom.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 8:35:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 8:37:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 9:22:26 AM EDT
[#17]
resent it. thanks. :-)

Quoted:
Because it has already been discussed. That is part of Flirs core.
View Quote

I would love a link where I could read more about this issue, because it'll help me carve out my expectations as a user/owner.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 10:06:51 AM EDT
[#18]
That OTS looks sooo good and the best part is you can screw an 2X, 3X right onto it... Can't do that with my X320...
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 11:01:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 11:05:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 11:10:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 11:21:05 AM EDT
[#22]
I got a question about the OTS. Behind the eye cup, is it threaded like an PVS14? I wonder if I could attach my USNIGHTVISION IPhone mount?
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 1:26:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 3:08:15 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

This happens when you are so close to a hot object that takes up the majority of the sight picture. It's overwhelming the system's contrast. I guess if you were planning on hunting at a distance of 10 feet it would be a real concern. In my experience once you get outside with the unit you wont notice it. Here's an image of the same issue happening when I was arms-length from a pig.

http://www.thermaloutfitters.com/uploads/3/9/7/6/3976953/6621645_orig.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This happens when you are so close to a hot object that takes up the majority of the sight picture. It's overwhelming the system's contrast. I guess if you were planning on hunting at a distance of 10 feet it would be a real concern. In my experience once you get outside with the unit you wont notice it. Here's an image of the same issue happening when I was arms-length from a pig.

http://www.thermaloutfitters.com/uploads/3/9/7/6/3976953/6621645_orig.jpg

It worth noting that this not necissarly an issue with the FLIR core, but an issue with the settings of the FLIR core.

You can fiddle with the settings and not have it do this, but you will lose out in other situtions with different scene content.  These settings can be very confusing and complex and it isn't any wonder that ATN sets them at the factory and doesn't give access to the customer.  I'm hoping in the future the multi pin devices will let you get access to some of these complex settings for advances users who know what they are getting themselves into.

This is a video I made for a FLIR tech to describe some changes we were looking to make to the FLIR Tau on our UAV.  In the end it took a lot of testing and fiddling and candles and cups of cold water to get to optimal settings.

Link Posted: 7/16/2014 3:27:34 PM EDT
[#25]
bushmanLA... I can see you in the next Matt Bracken book
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 3:31:34 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm so jealous I need my own drone aircraft with thermal too
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 3:58:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 5:56:09 PM EDT
[#28]
heres a good question, can you make a jarm work with this? hands free would be awesome.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 6:53:25 PM EDT
[#29]
UNV, thank you for all the info - very helpful.

I hope this thread is helping to inform anyone who might have been on the fence about buying one of these. I'm going to send my device back to the factory to get the firmware updated and the port swapped out to the newer 8-pin style - thanks Sachal.

Link Posted: 7/17/2014 6:15:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I asked this question a while back, but wanted to get your opinion. Do see the need for a small external battery pack for your OTS-X, or are you happy with the battery life you are getting from CR123s?
View Quote

I'm sitting on about 250-ish CR123's, so I'm satisfied with using CR123's. I also am not sure I would want a small external battery pack for the OTS-X if it took CR123's - that would get really expensive. I could see a benefit in an external pack, however, if it took 4 AA's and extended my overall usage time. AA's are easy, and it would be great to have the opportunity to use rechargeable, especially if someone were using this type of setup regularly in a commercial setting.

Link Posted: 7/17/2014 6:23:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 6:30:35 AM EDT
[#32]
I feel the same on a external pack for my OTS-X. Yes one 123A battery goes pretty fast  but when you buy them bulk like me its around $1 a battery and if I used 1-2 in a night say 75 nights a year that less than $100 a year for me. I thought about a extended tube that screws into the OTS-X battery housing makeing it hold two 123A"s? Your not saving any batteries but it would require less battery repalcement in the field.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 6:38:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Thanks for your reply. It would be a rechargeable battery pack with no removable batteries inside. This way it's a one time purchase and you eliminate the residual costs of batteries. The packs are designed to be stable in voltage drop to align with the battery indicator, and a protected circuit. You might have to replace the external battery pack a couple years after heavy use, but it would be a small fraction of the cost of CR123s. The small pack we are using on the ThOR external power adapter runs it for 15 hours.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I asked this question a while back, but wanted to get your opinion. Do see the need for a small external battery pack for your OTS-X, or are you happy with the battery life you are getting from CR123s?

I'm sitting on about 250-ish CR123's, so I'm satisfied with using CR123's. I also am not sure I would want a small external battery pack for the OTS-X if it took CR123's - that would get really expensive. I could see a benefit in an external pack, however, if it took 4 AA's and extended my overall usage time. AA's are easy, and it would be great to have the opportunity to use rechargeable, especially if someone were using this type of setup regularly in a commercial setting.

Thanks for your reply. It would be a rechargeable battery pack with no removable batteries inside. This way it's a one time purchase and you eliminate the residual costs of batteries. The packs are designed to be stable in voltage drop to align with the battery indicator, and a protected circuit. You might have to replace the external battery pack a couple years after heavy use, but it would be a small fraction of the cost of CR123s. The small pack we are using on the ThOR external power adapter runs it for 15 hours.

That helps, but from a usability perspective, I would find more value in having that same rechargeable pack filled with 4 high mAh AA batteries that I could replace on the fly, if needed.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 6:56:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Yep I like AA's also. The Pulsar HD19s thermal I have uses a holder with four AA's internal.  I put in sanyo XX eneloop 2500mAh high capacity rechargeable batteries ran ithe HD19s several hours last night battery meter barely even moved. I expect 6 hours plus run time with that setup it will make running the HD19s pretty cheap in the long run.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 10:10:09 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Yep I like AA's also. The Pulsar HD19s thermal I have uses a holder with four AA's internal.  I put in sanyo XX eneloop 2500mAh high capacity rechargeable batteries ran ithe HD19s several hours last night battery meter barely even moved. I expect 6 hours plus run time with that setup it will make running the HD19s pretty cheap in the long run.
View Quote

Sachal, do the new 8 pin plugs have the ability to provide power to ThORs etc?
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 11:26:50 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 6:25:01 AM EDT
[#37]
I received my ATN-OTS back from ATN today. I sent it to ATN for a firmware Upgrade and 8 port connector upgrade (so I can use the video capture cable). They received it, did the work, and mailed it out the following day. Very speedy service, and everything looks great. I am absolutely thrilled with this product, and can't wait for my plug to get here from Binder, so I can attempt making a cable.

Thanks for going above and beyond to help my out Sachal.

One question - if I make my own USB cable, will my PC recognize the OTS as a disk drive, or do you need special software to view the captured images?
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 6:37:43 AM EDT
[#38]
UNV has the download needed posted in their industry forum. I bought the 2X lens for my OTS-X I will test it this weekend.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 10:37:01 AM EDT
[#39]
keep us updated.  anyone use this headmounted somehow?
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 1:51:09 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I received my ATN-OTS back from ATN today. I sent it to ATN for a firmware Upgrade and 8 port connector upgrade (so I can use the video capture cable). They received it, did the work, and mailed it out the following day. Very speedy service, and everything looks great. I am absolutely thrilled with this product, and can't wait for my plug to get here from Binder, so I can attempt making a cable.

Thanks for going above and beyond to help my out Sachal.

One question - if I make my own USB cable, will my PC recognize the OTS as a disk drive, or do you need special software to view the captured images?

View Quote

As best I can tell the USB transfer cable has a TTL Serial to USB converter inside and possibly another line shorted at the connector to signal the scope that a programming cable is plugged in.

Making your own is somewhat risky unless you have the actual pinout.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 3:50:48 PM EDT
[#41]
I would love to get a pin out for this. Would ATN be willing / able to provide that? It would also give me an opportunity to make a battery pack for it, and possibly put a QD attachment somewhere in the middle, so I could swap from USB to battery to Video Out.

I found these online, and they use the same binder plug. Is the OTS the same pinout? If so, what is on Pins 3 & 4?

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 5:32:55 PM EDT
[#42]
well, the bottom diagram is correct. The AV out cable works great. Now I need to order another plug from binder, or make a quick disconnect to a USB cable. Not sure about the top diagram - didn't try it.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:41:11 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

well, the bottom diagram is correct. The AV out cable works great. Now I need to order another plug from binder, or make a quick disconnect to a USB cable. Not sure about the top diagram - didn't try it.
View Quote
BE CAREFUL!!

The signals coming out of that connector are NOT USB signals.  They are TTL or RS232 level serial data.  The ATN cable has an converter built into the plug.  

DONT just connect this to a standard USB cable.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:51:24 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 7:42:22 AM EDT
[#45]
I want one of these BAD. About to sell a couple vintage Fender guitar amps to pay for one. Prob going to get the F330 model...
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 1:24:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
BE CAREFUL!!  

The signals coming out of that connector are NOT USB signals.  They are TTL or RS232 level serial data.  The ATN cable has an converter built into the plug.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
BE CAREFUL!!  

I made my video cable without issue. It was $22 shipped for the connector from Binder, and I used a plain old Yellow AV RCA cable from an old DVD-Player. It involves soldering 2 wires to 2 tiny pins - so you need a steady hand and a fine point soldering iron. Due to the plug binder sells, it is hard to make this and have it not look professional unless you do not know how to solder electronics and melt everything. The AV cable is actually pretty neat.
Total cost - $22.

I wasn't going to attempt the USB plug until I got a functional diagram for the pinouts. With voltage coming in from USB Power, I'm not prepared to guess the pinouts. If I can get the correct pinouts from ATN, I might attempt it, because I'd also like to attempt building some other accessories.

With the external battery packs, what happens when you plug it in with a battery already in the system? Does it run off the internal battery, or the pack, or both?

I was not able to source a location for the USB / 8-pin cable for the ATN OTS for video capture. I checked various sites and couldn't find it. UNV - do you sell it, if so for how much?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top