Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:24:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:48:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Interesting, I had thought of trying the front lens from a PS-14 onto a Night Spirit body and seeing how that worked.
Until I started reading this forum I did not realize all the different things you can do to your own night vision units.
I have many customers who customize AK's & AR's with new made parts or adapt pieces from other guns, It never occurred to me that night vision was also "modular" to some degree.

Richard

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
All drama aside, I called ATN and got a 1x lens for my Night Spirit for $45. The only was $12 shipping. Looks like this will end up weapons mounted -- I just have to figure out which weapon and how. My pvs 14 can then dedicate as a monocular/helmet-mount, and I can run an IR with any secondary weapons.

Interesting, I had thought of trying the front lens from a PS-14 onto a Night Spirit body and seeing how that worked.
Until I started reading this forum I did not realize all the different things you can do to your own night vision units.
I have many customers who customize AK's & AR's with new made parts or adapt pieces from other guns, It never occurred to me that night vision was also "modular" to some degree.

Richard

Did you folks sell the USNV PVS-14 you had on GunBroker?
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:14:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 9:33:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Richard

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
All drama aside, I called ATN and got a 1x lens for my Night Spirit for $45. The only was $12 shipping. Looks like this will end up weapons mounted -- I just have to figure out which weapon and how. My pvs 14 can then dedicate as a monocular/helmet-mount, and I can run an IR with any secondary weapons.

Richard

I contacted ATN and apparently they are sold out of the 1x lenses now.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:38:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Is the older ATN Night Spirit not the same device as the Armasight Avenger?  Maybe Armasight has some additional accessories available.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 7:53:54 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Is the older ATN Night Spirit not the same device as the Armasight Avenger?  Maybe Armasight has some additional accessories available.
View Quote

They look exactly the same.  Given that Armasight is a spinoff from ATN I bet you are on the right track.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:03:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

They look exactly the same.  Given that Armasight is a spinoff from ATN I bet you are on the right track.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was wondering what ATN and Armasight had in common, if anything. It seems odd to have two places in San Francisco selling imported NV gear without there being some history there.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 10:31:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I was wondering what ATN and Armasight had in common, if anything. It seems odd to have two places in San Francisco selling imported NV gear without there being some history there.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They were one company under the ATN name. Some internal fighting happened and a few took their ball and went home. They started Armasight. So now we have ATN and Armasight.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 4:06:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Any updates?  Any fitment issues or anything with the 1x lens?
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 12:16:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Can anyone with a Night Spirit verify what style tube these are using?  MX10130?
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 11:14:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Any more pics of the condition? Did anyone get a bad looking/poor performing one? I may have to take a chance on one or more of these.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 2:15:41 PM EDT
[#12]
I've been poking around on various internet boards and have exchanged several emails now with the nice folks at Apex. It looks like these Night Spirits might actually used MX9916 style tubes with MX10130 tubes going into the PS14's.

Link Posted: 8/10/2014 7:42:33 PM EDT
[#13]
I can't say what tubes are in these Night Spirits, but here are some photos. FYI the tube image is inverted without the ocular.

Potato pics

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 7:50:32 PM EDT
[#14]
LOFL... Great thread... Brings back memories... The more things change....

Link Posted: 8/13/2014 11:13:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 11:18:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 1:31:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Is there a web page you can point me to that explains the tube styles?
I have seen the Night Spirit & PS-14 tubes outside of the housings, but can't relate to the "MX" numbers you refer to.

Richard

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've been poking around on various internet boards and have exchanged several emails now with the nice folks at Apex. It looks like these Night Spirits might actually used MX9916 style tubes with MX10130 tubes going into the PS14's.

I have seen the Night Spirit & PS-14 tubes outside of the housings, but can't relate to the "MX" numbers you refer to.

Richard

Maybe you can post a thread here that shows pictures of the tube(s) used in the various optics?  I'm sure Dino and many others can tell us for certain what each one is or what each one is compatible with.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 2:17:39 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm new to the whole night vision deal so what would you recommend between the different options at Apex to mount behind a T-1 and possibly mount to a helmet? Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 6:42:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Richard

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Richard

Post pics...
They are likely russian tubes, but its the format that matters. I.e. diameter of the tube in mm would help, as would if the tube inverts the image or not would be the two most important factors, along with if they use glass input or a fiber optic input.

Any sort of writing on the tubes?

Link Posted: 8/13/2014 7:34:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 7:42:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Does ATN have any sorce for the 1x lens for the Night Spirit? Or will another 1x lens fit?
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 7:51:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
This system uses a proprietary russian tube. Any tube from US manufacturer would not fit in there.
View Quote

EKRAN EPM66G or EPM66G-2?

Or perhaps

EPM221G-00-11 or EPM223G-00-11
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 7:57:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 1:30:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:06:24 PM EDT
[#25]
I picked up 3 of the Night Spirits. 2 of them work great and well worth what I paid for them. Very little cleaning needed. The third one on the other hand is the problem. It has the best image of all 3, but only when it stays on. It wont turn on if the battery cap is screwed all the way tight. If I leave it loose it will stay on as long as you dont bump it or move around. I dont want to hassle with it so I am sending the the third one back for a refund tomorrow. If you are looking for a clear and inexpensive unit I would recommend picking one up.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:32:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Can the night spirit units be mounted to a rhino mount with a j arm?
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 11:07:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

PS-14 from Apex gun parts                                                                                                                 $799
Bell faction helmet from ebay                                                                                                              $27
Rhino bracket, Rhino arm, j arm, mount strap and buckle      ebay package deal                              $59
Maxexpedition battery pouch for counterweight bag  ebay                                                                  $15
USGI chinstrap   ebay                                                                                                                          $16
Streamlight Super Tac ir weapon light             ebay                                                                            $114
Lasermax ir laser                                      ebay                                                                                    $159
                                                                                                                             Total                       $1189

I originally said $1100, it was actually about $1200
I am still very pleased with my purchase. Planning on navigating some trails tonight
http://<a href=http://i1340.photobucket.com/albums/o734/PanhandleAR/300blk_zpse38bdb39.jpg</a>" />

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It appears that Apex is a vendor sponsor. I don't think this thread was ever intended to be any kind of a advertising ploy. IMO, the comments that Apex has made have  been informative and unbiased. As others have stated, this is a good way to test out NV without having to fork out 3 to 5k.
I bought one of the ps-14 units and I am happy with it so far. I know very little about nv, but. I have looked at the TNVC gen comparisons sticky many times, and it looks to be on par for gen 2. I have ordered a skate helmet, mount, ir light, and laser. Everything total is less than $1100, and I think I could recover 75% of my investment if nv is not for me.
If I have even half as much fun as I am expecting, I will probably upgrade to gen 3 or 4 and keep this as a backup or loaner. At that point, I will definitely be giving the guys at TNVC a holler

Hey Pan, mind telling me where you got all your stuff from?

PS-14 from Apex gun parts                                                                                                                 $799
Bell faction helmet from ebay                                                                                                              $27
Rhino bracket, Rhino arm, j arm, mount strap and buckle      ebay package deal                              $59
Maxexpedition battery pouch for counterweight bag  ebay                                                                  $15
USGI chinstrap   ebay                                                                                                                          $16
Streamlight Super Tac ir weapon light             ebay                                                                            $114
Lasermax ir laser                                      ebay                                                                                    $159
                                                                                                                             Total                       $1189

I originally said $1100, it was actually about $1200
I am still very pleased with my purchase. Planning on navigating some trails tonight
http://<a href=http://i1340.photobucket.com/albums/o734/PanhandleAR/300blk_zpse38bdb39.jpg</a>" />

you never said where you got the sweet tiger head
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 11:40:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Which one should have a better image? NVM-14 or PS-14? Just looking for a toy for now. Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 12:15:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Or will another 1x lens fit?
View Quote

Wondering this too. Any ideas?

ATN, is it a proprietary lens mount, or is it some sort of standard one from the camera world?
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 6:37:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Just ordered the ps14 from apex and pretty much got everything for it from the ee. I will update when Brown truck arrives. Apex has labor day sale going on the ps14 and nvg7 just a heads up.

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 11:37:39 PM EDT
[#31]
So far, I'm happy with my ps14. Unless it is behind my vortex, then I hate it. I will play with it more and decide if I want to keep it
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:27:23 AM EDT
[#32]
so the unit focused and amplified well handheld and helmet mounted, but it was absolute GARBAGE behind my Vortex SPARC for some reason. visibility was reduced by atleast 75% when mounted behind it, and you could barely make out a tree at about 50ft.  I mainly bought it to weapon mount, but after lastnight it is clear it won;t work, atleast with my SPARC.  not sure if i want to wait and try a different optic and keep it, or return it and save up to build a gen 3.  opinions?
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:09:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
so the unit focused and amplified well handheld and helmet mounted, but it was absolute GARBAGE behind my Vortex SPARC for some reason. visibility was reduced by atleast 75% when mounted behind it, and you could barely make out a tree at about 50ft.  I mainly bought it to weapon mount, but after lastnight it is clear it won;t work, atleast with my SPARC.  not sure if i want to wait and try a different optic and keep it, or return it and save up to build a gen 3.  opinions?
View Quote

Most cheap optics don't necessarily work well in the IR regime depending on the lens coatings etc used. The aimpoints with NV settings also have lens coatings that let IR light through better.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 4:26:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Anyone got a pic of the $399 scope mounted on an AR?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 4:33:18 PM EDT
[#35]
I just read the entire thread. Saw a few post stating that the Night Spirit had no reticle. I'm guessing this is true for all of them? No red dot, no crosshairs, right?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 4:38:31 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I just read the entire thread. Saw a few post stating that the Night Spirit had no reticle. I'm guessing this is true for all of them? No red dot, no crosshairs, right?
View Quote
Don't know. I ordered one because it said "scope" in the description. That means that it has a dot or something (to me). I will be really annoyed if it's advertised wrong.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 4:45:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Don't know. I ordered one because it said "scope" in the description. That means that it has a dot or something (to me). I will be really annoyed if it's advertised wrong.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Night Spirit has no dot or other form of reticle.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 4:49:37 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Great. Will it work with an Aimpoint pro? Is the Aimpoint supposed to mount in front of or behind the Night Spirit? If so it will go on my Tavor.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 4:51:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Anyone got a pic of the $399 scope mounted on an AR?
View Quote

" />" />
I have not test fired this but seems like it should work.  I think it will be best from prone position, too heavy to be accurate from free standing
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 4:54:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Damn that is big. Cool pic. If I move my Aimpoint further up the rail will it hold zero?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:57:56 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Damn that is big. Cool pic. If I move my Aimpoint further up the rail will it hold zero?
View Quote

Depends on how well the rail and the aimpoint clamp is made.  It will probably shift you a moa or two.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 9:28:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Yea, I just got my helmet in the mail today. Cheap budget build helmet with all parts from ebay. Only been on for about an hour. Feels comfortable walking around in the house. Rhino mount and J arm work perfect
http://<a href=http://i1340.photobucket.com/albums/o734/PanhandleAR/ps14helmet-2_zps5688f5f8.jpg</a>" />
http://<a href=http://i1340.photobucket.com/albums/o734/PanhandleAR/ps14helmet-1_zpsa363c902.jpg</a>" />

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any idea if the pvs-7 would mount to a rhino mount? Has any one tried the ps-14 with j arm and helmet mount? Looking at getting one of these for a walking around set up while hog hunting.

Yea, I just got my helmet in the mail today. Cheap budget build helmet with all parts from ebay. Only been on for about an hour. Feels comfortable walking around in the house. Rhino mount and J arm work perfect
http://<a href=http://i1340.photobucket.com/albums/o734/PanhandleAR/ps14helmet-2_zps5688f5f8.jpg</a>" />
http://<a href=http://i1340.photobucket.com/albums/o734/PanhandleAR/ps14helmet-1_zpsa363c902.jpg</a>" />

good for you a fighting setup for $1,200 much better purchase than the third ar15 or the 5th 1911
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 1:23:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Just got the PS14 from Apex and thought I would give a brief impression, and I have no association Apex or any body else. The PS14 that I got was a little dirty but I knew that before purchase, came in a box nicely bubble wrapped. Took it out behind my house which is a small park located in a suburb after a quick lens clean. The unit is missing what looks like a filter or cap that fits on the front lens but again knew that going in also. So why did I get these: the ps14 will be helmet mounted and used as my "walking around" night vision and a pulsar n750 is mounted up to a 300 Blackout with a torch pro. This setup is for hog hunting at a ranch near Freer Texas and coyote hunting on open fields here in northern Illinois. The PS14 was tested on a pretty bright night, lots of ambient light from nearby homes and clear night with pretty bright moon. The IR was never even used this night and will hopefully test on overcast night soon.
I am by no means a night vision expert or a LEO or military so please keep this in mind. The PS14 has two visible blems, no big deal really, as I walked around I would say they worked pretty well and could walk with confidence seeing out able to recognize changes in the ground: like rocks, start of taller grass, grass to pavement etc.. Seems like distances out past maybe 50 yards things get a blur, but I still need to adjust the unit more (diopter and front more). Bottom line: I like this unit for what it is my walking around night vision. Will I get a TNVC PVS-14 one day, yes, but for now this will work for me. Hope this helps anyone looking at these and here are some pics:

This is after I cleaned up the unit.

Fence is around 20 yards or so

tree at aound 10 yards

Hope this helps and will try to get more field pics in the next few days.

Edit: Just wanted to add this unit uses the AA battery and to work power switch you pull out the switch like a plunger than rotate to on or IR.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 8:34:48 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Just got the PS14 from Apex and thought I would give a brief impression, and I have no association Apex or any body else. The PS14 that I got was a little dirty but I knew that before purchase, came in a box nicely bubble wrapped. Took it out behind my house which is a small park located in a suburb after a quick lens clean. The unit is missing what looks like a filter or cap that fits on the front lens but again knew that going in also. So why did I get these: the ps14 will be helmet mounted and used as my "walking around" night vision and a pulsar n750 is mounted up to a 300 Blackout with a torch pro. This setup is for hog hunting at a ranch near Freer Texas and coyote hunting on open fields here in northern Illinois. The PS14 was tested on a pretty bright night, lots of ambient light from nearby homes and clear night with pretty bright moon. The IR was never even used this night and will hopefully test on overcast night soon.

I am by no means a night vision expert or a LEO or military so please keep this in mind. The PS14 has two visible blems, no big deal really, as I walked around I would say they worked pretty well and could walk with confidence seeing out able to recognize changes in the ground: like rocks, start of taller grass, grass to pavement etc.. Seems like distances out past maybe 50 yards things get a blur, but I still need to adjust the unit more (diopter and front more). Bottom line: I like this unit for what it is my walking around night vision. Will I get a TNVC PVS-14 one day, yes, but for now this will work for me. Hope this helps anyone looking at these and here are some pics:

http://i677.photobucket.com/albums/vv131/firemed13/20140903_191824_resized_zps947b5fb6.jpg

http://i677.photobucket.com/albums/vv131/firemed13/20140903_225121_resized_zpsfd6c3fc5.jpg

http://i677.photobucket.com/albums/vv131/firemed13/20140903_224622_resized_zps652144ad.jpg

tree at aound 10 yards

http://i677.photobucket.com/albums/vv131/firemed13/20140903_224600_resized_zps18bd8d9b.jpg

Edit: Just wanted to add this unit uses the AA battery and to work power switch you pull out the switch like a plunger than rotate to on or IR.

View Quote
thanks for the pics. I hope mine is that good.

Link Posted: 9/4/2014 8:58:32 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://i677.photobucket.com/albums/vv131/firemed13/20140903_191824_resized_zps947b5fb6.jpg
http://i677.photobucket.com/albums/vv131/firemed13/20140903_225121_resized_zpsfd6c3fc5.jpg
http://i677.photobucket.com/albums/vv131/firemed13/20140903_224622_resized_zps652144ad.jpg
tree at aound 10 yards
http://i677.photobucket.com/albums/vv131/firemed13/20140903_224600_resized_zps18bd8d9b.jpg

Just a heads up the pictures are taken thru a android phone so the resolution is not as good as it looks through the device. Hopefully tonight I will have a chance to get out again, might try a more secluded area away from some suburb lights. I also have a surefire m1 IR on the way which will be mounted to my helmet so that help also.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 10:41:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 1:49:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
tree at aound 10 yards

View Quote

I had a similar experience as you with my 699 Labor Day ps14 I'll get some pics up ASAP

Can anyone confirm if a pvs14 j arm rino mount combo will work?

I would say the only negative would be now I have the night vision bug so I'm saving my pennies for a tnvc ps14 now lol
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 4:25:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Here is the helmet setup, have Surefire M1 IR on the other side of helmet.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 2:32:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Thanks for sharing your experience with the PS-14 that you purchased from APEX.
In the pictures taken thru the tube you can see two "indicators" on one side.
One is red and will indicate when the IR lamp is on.
The other will flash white slowly to indicate a low battery.

Speaking of batteries, please do NOT store your Night Vision viewers with the batteries installed!

When I spoke to the ATN & US Night Vision people they had some sad tales about units coming in with dead batteries stuck inside.

Richard
View Quote

Unless you're using lithium batteries, then you will be fine.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 2:33:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Can the night spirit units be mounted to a rhino mount with a j arm?
View Quote

Yes it can, it's heavy though.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top