Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 10
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 2:23:20 AM EDT
[#1]
"fo" is a reference to an infamous arfcom thread where a member wrote "fuck it I'm foing" misspelling "going"

It was the user's last ever post and a new arfcom word/phrase was created.

to fo is as to decide to go/buy/start.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 7:38:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Okay, so being new to the world of cheap older tech night vision, I wonder if some of the iit's deficiency can't be overcome with a good powerful illuminator.

How would a Surefire X300V or a SPIR or DBAL-D² work with something like the PS-14 or the NVM-14? Should I fo?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 8:50:50 AM EDT
[#3]
ronnl -- thanks for the pics. Mine should be in today. I have an older NAIT tube I can take comparison pics with. Is your PVS14 a Gen 3? (Im guesing so)
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 9:18:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Good information
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 10:00:51 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

<Advertising removed- JLA>  
View Quote

Samson has sold out of the twist off mounts and has no plans on making another run.  They're suggesting the RAM mount for a QD mount that can be used across several platforms.

Link Posted: 7/18/2014 11:05:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Received mine yesterday and took some potato phone pics. I already have a PVS14 and wanted this for a backup or buddy rig. Still not sure what I'm going to do with it. The photos are not as clear as it actually looks. I didn't expect it to be (nor is it) anywhere near as good as my 14 but it is certainly better than Gen1. For the cost, I'm pleased so far. My J-arm will screw into it but it is heavy and I'm not sure that everything will line up right.

The 3x lens will screw off. I'd like to find a 1x lens for it. The adjustment ring near the eyecup appears to be the gain control.

The battery compartment cap has an adapter in it that allows the use of CR123

Unscrew/remove that adapter and a AA will work

Hallway photo with camera phone. Some light around the door visible with naked eye.

View with no IR light

With the built-in IR

Link Posted: 7/18/2014 2:57:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I got my NVM14-CGTI in the mail yesterday from Apex, I LOVE IT.  

This is my first foray into NOGs but it looks pretty good to me.  If anyone is interested, the NVM14 model for sale is the push button power edition, not the one with the flimsy switch. I don't know if thats a newer or older series.

Heres some pics.

Link Posted: 7/18/2014 3:19:02 PM EDT
[#8]
The NVM-14 looks good! Too bad I don't have the cash.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 4:12:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
ronnl -- thanks for the pics. Mine should be in today. I have an older NAIT tube I can take comparison pics with. Is your PVS14 a Gen 3? (Im guesing so)
View Quote

Yes. Pinnacle tube with pretty good specs and low (like 10) hours.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 5:51:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Just got my Night Spirit.

It's great! Zero burn marks on the tube, and the scope itself seems to be in good shape. I put it on the USGI PVS14 weapon mount I got off the EE, and it sits a bit angled due to the tab on the mount, but I suspect you could dremel that off to have it flat. I don't think the slight rotation would matter though since there isn't a reticle. The image quality is significantly better than my older NAIT, which I always thought was a Gen 2 tube. I'm starting to question that though -- maybe that has a Gen 1 tube.

Is there a focus adjust on the Night Spirirt? I've only tested it in my basement so far since it's still light outside. There is a bit of fisheye to the lens as you can see in some of the pictures posted earlier, but overall I'm happy with it.

EDIT: Focus adjust is the turnable ring near the eyepiece -- it isn't gain adjust.

Manual: HERE
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 5:54:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Stop. Im going to go broke.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 7:37:53 PM EDT
[#12]
I ordered the PS-14. Hopefully mine will look as good as your NVM. Should know Monday.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 7:57:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Does any one know can the ps-14 or the nvm-14 use the standard mounts (same as regular pvs-14) ?
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 8:03:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Does any one know can the ps-14 or the nvm-14 use the standard mounts (same as regular pvs-14) ?
View Quote

Looks like the PS will use USGI PVS-14 mounts going off the pictures on Apex's website.

Link Posted: 7/18/2014 8:46:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Well, I really didn't need to spend the money, but I just ordered the 3x scope.  Guess I'm finally getting into night vision.  Good thing when I bought my Eotech I got the XPS-3  

Link Posted: 7/18/2014 11:06:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Well, I really didn't need to spend the money, but I just ordered the 3x scope.  Guess I'm finally getting into night vision.  Good thing when I bought my Eotech I got the XPS-3  
View Quote

Let us know when you find a good 1x lens. I want one too.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 11:50:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

The only ones I've been able to find are part of a $280 scope kit
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 12:32:29 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
+1

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Ok, I know next to nothing about night vision.  I do know that if I mount this behind an eotech I would prefer a 1x lens.  Is there any other reason I wouldn't want it behind an Eotech?

OTOH, I do have a lathe, and lenses are readily available......maybe I could build one.

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 4:20:53 PM EDT
[#19]

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 5:58:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

NVM-14 also has the lens for IR spotlight
View Quote

What does this mean?
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 6:21:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

What does this mean?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What does this mean?

it has an onboard ir flood light and a swing down lens that turns into into a spotlight.

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 7:56:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

it has an onboard ir flood light and a swing down lens that turns into into a spotlight.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What does this mean?

Aha!  Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 11:10:01 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I got my NVM14-CGTI in the mail yesterday from Apex, I LOVE IT.  

This is my first foray into NOGs but it looks pretty good to me.  If anyone is interested, the NVM14 model for sale is the push button power edition, not the one with the flimsy switch. I don't know if thats a newer or older series.

Heres some pics.

http://i62.tinypic.com/2dkixi0.jpg

http://i59.tinypic.com/sctan4.jpg

http://i62.tinypic.com/qqqpw5.jpg

http://i59.tinypic.com/14aeyo.jpg

http://i59.tinypic.com/1072994.jpg

http://i57.tinypic.com/33e4v46.jpg

Armasight mum transfer adapter. Most expensive piece of my kit outside the optic.

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 9:09:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Received mine yesterday and took some potato phone pics. I already have a PVS14 and wanted this for a backup or buddy rig. Still not sure what I'm going to do with it. The photos are not as clear as it actually looks. I didn't expect it to be (nor is it) anywhere near as good as my 14 but it is certainly better than Gen1. For the cost, I'm pleased so far. My J-arm will screw into it but it is heavy and I'm not sure that everything will line up right.

<a href="http://s588.photobucket.com/user/miker84/media/2014-07-18090535_zps38d7013d.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss328/miker84/2014-07-18090535_zps38d7013d.jpg</a>

The 3x lens will screw off. I'd like to find a 1x lens for it. The adjustment ring near the eyecup appears to be the gain control.
<a href="http://s588.photobucket.com/user/miker84/media/ARFCOM/2014-07-18090847_zps0e4cd54f.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss328/miker84/ARFCOM/2014-07-18090847_zps0e4cd54f.jpg</a>

The battery compartment cap has an adapter in it that allows the use of CR123
<a href="http://s588.photobucket.com/user/miker84/media/ARFCOM/2014-07-18090707_zps169503ca.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss328/miker84/ARFCOM/2014-07-18090707_zps169503ca.jpg</a>

Unscrew/remove that adapter and a AA will work
<a href="http://s588.photobucket.com/user/miker84/media/ARFCOM/2014-07-18090609_zps200378fc.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss328/miker84/ARFCOM/2014-07-18090609_zps200378fc.jpg</a>

Hallway photo with camera phone. Some light around the door visible with naked eye.
<a href="http://s588.photobucket.com/user/miker84/media/ARFCOM/2014-07-18085750_zps15666d60.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss328/miker84/ARFCOM/2014-07-18085750_zps15666d60.jpg</a>

View with no IR light
<a href="http://s588.photobucket.com/user/miker84/media/ARFCOM/2014-07-18090018_zps2c43a093.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss328/miker84/ARFCOM/2014-07-18090018_zps2c43a093.jpg</a>

With the built-in IR
<a href="http://s588.photobucket.com/user/miker84/media/ARFCOM/2014-07-18090252_zps3f201ac4.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss328/miker84/ARFCOM/2014-07-18090252_zps3f201ac4.jpg</a>
View Quote

What J arm are you using?
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 2:38:46 PM EDT
[#25]
OST
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:23:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
What J arm are you using?
View Quote

Just the milspec one that came with my PVS14 Rhino mount.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:28:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Interesting,  the ATN rep made it sound like there weren't any mounts for the Spirit model monocular.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:37:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Interesting,  the ATN rep made it sound like there weren't any mounts for the Spirit model monocular.
View Quote

Well, it screws into it, but I can't say that it will all line up and work exactly right on my helmet (haven't tried it yet).
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:53:40 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm debating on keeping it when it gets here or send it back and upgrade to the PVS-7
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:22:05 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Well, it screws into it, but I can't say that it will all line up and work exactly right on my helmet (haven't tried it yet).
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:23:23 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for the info

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:04:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I just spotted this thread, I don't usually look in the night vision forum.

snip...

Richard

View Quote

Pure coincidence that you happened upon this thread where your shills are pimping this 2nd or 3rd rate gear?  Let me guess, do you also have some "waterfront property" along the Gulf of Mexico coast for sale at a very low price per acre?

Geez mods, this is so transparent...
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:09:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Pure coincidence that you happened upon this thread where your shills are pimping this 2nd or 3rd rate gear?  Let me guess, do you also have some "waterfront property" along the Gulf of Mexico coast for sale at a very low price per acre?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

snip...

Richard

Popcorn!

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:02:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

snip...

Richard

I noticed it as well. They were having so much fun with it I kept my mouth shut. Even when I judged the quality of the PVS-14 on Gunbroker everyone just kept saying how great they are so I gave up... It is a thinly veiled sales thread though. Had the guy that sells these not magically appeared it might have passed the smell test.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:45:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I noticed it as well. They were having so much fun with it I kept my mouth shut. Even when I judged the quality of the PVS-14 on Gunbroker everyone just kept saying how great they are so I gave up... It is a thinly veiled sales thread though. Had the guy that sells these not magically appeared it might have passed the smell test.
View Quote

Yeah, I have no affiliation with Apex...

Not everyone wants to spend $1500-$5000 on a toy, so when reasonably priced things come along it shouldn't be shocking that people are interested in them
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:55:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Not everyone wants to spend $1500-$5000 on a toy, so when reasonably priced things come along it shouldn't be shocking that people are interested in them
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a good thread (to an extent) if one is interested in cheap beater NODs, but Apex is advertising without a dealers account. That's a slap to Vic and all the other reps who pay good money to sell here if it's allowed to continue. The fact that this thread is being allowed to continue while so obviously in violation of the rules shows the good nature of some of our vendors.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:55:40 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

I have multiple projects going right now including a custom bolt gun.  I don't have a spare $3000 laying around for a new PVS 14
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:56:42 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the thing... Their beat to shit PVS-14 is running $1500-1600!
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:51:57 AM EDT
[#39]
So let's see what we have here hardware wise:

-Devices that were low performers even when they were brand spanking new.
-Devices that have clearly been beat to crap.
-A seller who claims to not know much about NV and published specs that are vague.
-A seller who didn't even bother to clean the dirt off the devices.
-A whopping 7-day warranty, which is most certainly better than a "no returns" policy.

Pretty much everyone including me is a cheap bastard, especially when the purchase being considered has some significant $$$ associated with it.  But there is a big difference between good value and just cheap.

What concerns me about this thread is that crap is being peddled as "good" stuff.  It starts with a shill OP, the seller coincidentally jumps in 11 hours later even though he never has posted in this forum previously, and then a few folks who also never post in this forum rave about how good the devices are....if it quacks.

I think that is wonderful for good value options to be presented in this forum for folks with a lower price point limit because it gets more individuals exposed to the wonderful technology.

But when these beat up mediocre-to-begin-with devices start crapping out, folks who might otherwise have had a favorable I^2 experience will have had a negative one instead, and that is not good for the community.

So long as the buyer accepts that they are taking a very significant risk on something like this to get a low performing device such that they can claim "I have NV", it is all good.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:17:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
So let's see what we have here hardware wise:

-Devices that were low performers even when they were brand spanking new.
-Devices that have clearly been beat to crap.
-A seller who claims to not know much about NV and published specs that are vague.
-A seller who didn't even bother to clean the dirt off the devices.
-A whopping 7-day warranty, which is most certainly better than a "no returns" policy.

Pretty much everyone including me is a cheap bastard, especially when the purchase being considered has some significant $$$ associated with it.  But there is a big difference between good value and just cheap.

What concerns me about this thread is that crap is being peddled as "good" stuff.  It starts with a shill OP, the seller coincidentally jumps in 11 hours later even though he never has posted in this forum previously, and then a few folks who also never post in this forum rave about how good the devices are....if it quacks.

I think that is wonderful for good value options to be presented in this forum for folks with a lower price point limit because it gets more individuals exposed to the wonderful technology.

But when these beat up mediocre-to-begin-with devices start crapping out, folks who might otherwise have had a favorable I^2 experience will have had a negative one instead, and that is not good for the community.

So long as the buyer accepts that they are taking a very significant risk on something like this to get a low performing device such that they can claim "I have NV", it is all good.
View Quote

"D-3"

"HIT!"

"You sank my Battleship!"
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:20:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Edit, nevermind, it isn't worth arguing. That's what the ignore button is for.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:51:29 PM EDT
[#42]
So tell me how my gen 2 export tube is inherently low performing because..... It wasn't sold by tnvc and you didn't spend 2k on it. Arfcommers would sell their soul for a good deal on any given Sunday.

I happened to score a very decent deal on mum series monocular but that makes me a shill because it disrupts this exclusive PVS-14 only community? Of course that makes perfect sense.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:54:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
So tell me how my gen 2 export tube is inherently low performing because..... It wasn't sold by tnvc and you didn't spend 2k on it. Arfcommers would sell their soul for a good deal on any given Sunday.

I happened to score a very decent deal on mum series monocular but that makes me a shill because it disrupts this exclusive PVS-14 only community? Of course that makes perfect sense.
View Quote

That's not what anyone is saying.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:55:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Well, the Apex auction has come and gone with zero bids.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:11:07 PM EDT
[#45]

I've done business with Apex before (although not involving night vision) and have been pleased.  I don't see them making any false claims, besides some typical advertising puffery about these being used overseas.  I don't think anyone is expecting Gen III quality out of these, and the guys who have received them so far have been happy with what they got for the money.  Not everyone can shell out the money for a top of the line unit.  Personally, if the image quality matches what I've seen so far then I'll be pleased with what I got for $400.  I will post pics when it gets here.

Regardless of the quality of the hardware, I wonder how murderman is so certain that OP is a shill?  If he is, he's had quite a few posts before he started shilling for Apex.  I would refrain from accusations and personal attacks without proof.  This isn't GD.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:17:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed. I didn't want one of you guys to get screwed buying that piece of junk PVS-14 for 1600 bucks. I guess I am wrong for that. The point is it is a shill thread and against the rules. The scopes are low performing and "well" used. Some may be a good deal and others junk. The guys here are trying to make sure others with less experience know exactly what they are buying. I have no issue with guys getting into night vision on the cheap.

I built scopes from parts back in the day because I could not afford a new one. I share what I know in hopes that others don't lose money like I have in the past trying to learn. We didn't have the benefit of these forums and information was hard to come by in the past. Most of the "old" guys learned by trial and error. I am not trying to come off as a PVS-14 elitist at all. I mostly use a PVS-7 anyhow...

The fact that paying dealers and others have "looked the other way" shows how they are pretty generous. I don't think anyone is threatened by someone selling some beater scopes. It gets more people interested in night vision which is good. They will one day want something better which will benefit paying dealers. I am never going to sit back and lie to folks though. If it is junk I am going to tell you regardless of whose feelings get hurt.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:31:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

By definition, legal export tubes are FOM limited, and are thus "low performing" by current US standards.  Are there some snobs here including me, absolutely, but that isn't the point at hand.

The important consideration is not that these devices will perform to moderate standards, but for how long?  They have been advertised as rode hard and put up wet.  For the price, that doesn't represent good value from a risk-reward perspective when compared with other options at similar price point.  

One might get lucky, or one might not.  Considering the context of not having boatloads of discretionary income, that factor becomes ever more important

I have used some really nice Gen2+ devices, so I am not at all opposed to that concept even though I can afford higher resolution and SNR.

Roll the dice, and hope for 7 or 11.  Repeat that 100 or 1,000 times when you go out in the dark.  Might as well buy a lottery ticket while you are at it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:37:48 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

I'm debating on keeping it when it gets here or send it back and upgrade to the PVS-7
View Quote

If you ordered from APEX just contact my SALES office, my people will be happy to assist you.

The contact info is on the web site, the APEX Gun Parts banner at the bottom of this page will take you there.

You can call or e-mail customer service.

Richard

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:50:57 PM EDT
[#49]
It appears that Apex is a vendor sponsor. I don't think this thread was ever intended to be any kind of a advertising ploy. IMO, the comments that Apex has made have  been informative and unbiased. As others have stated, this is a good way to test out NV without having to fork out 3 to 5k.
I bought one of the ps-14 units and I am happy with it so far. I know very little about nv, but. I have looked at the TNVC gen comparisons sticky many times, and it looks to be on par for gen 2. I have ordered a skate helmet, mount, ir light, and laser. Everything total is less than $1100, and I think I could recover 75% of my investment if nv is not for me.
If I have even half as much fun as I am expecting, I will probably upgrade to gen 3 or 4 and keep this as a backup or loaner. At that point, I will definitely be giving the guys at TNVC a holler
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:06:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
It appears that Apex is a vendor sponsor. I don't think this thread was ever intended to be any kind of a advertising ploy. IMO, the comments that Apex has made have  been informative and unbiased. As others have stated, this is a good way to test out NV without having to fork out 3 to 5k.
I bought one of the ps-14 units and I am happy with it so far. I know very little about nv, but. I have looked at the TNVC gen comparisons sticky many times, and it looks to be on par for gen 2. I have ordered a skate helmet, mount, ir light, and laser. Everything total is less than $1100, and I think I could recover 75% of my investment if nv is not for me.
If I have even half as much fun as I am expecting, I will probably upgrade to gen 3 or 4 and keep this as a backup or loaner. At that point, I will definitely be giving the guys at TNVC a holler
View Quote

Put some pics of the PS-14 up when you get it.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top