BCM
User Panel

Page / 10
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 10:44:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just ordered a computar 1:3 25mm lens off fleabay for this project. I think these are 2/3" profile, but better than the 1/2" I have been seeing everywhere. Some folk want way too much money for those things.
Edit: The only ones I could find a listing on that are manual 25mm f/1:3 is the V2513, and 18. Both are 1" profile, sensor size. Any good for the Night Spirit?
View Quote

ULTRAK KL2513VC4 LENS 1" 25MM F1.3-360. I opened it up and removed the autoiris.

G.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 11:56:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

ULTRAK KL2513VC4 LENS 1" 25MM F1.3-360. I opened it up and removed the autoiris.

G.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just ordered a computar 1:3 25mm lens off fleabay for this project. I think these are 2/3" profile, but better than the 1/2" I have been seeing everywhere. Some folk want way too much money for those things.
Edit: The only ones I could find a listing on that are manual 25mm f/1:3 is the V2513, and 18. Both are 1" profile, sensor size. Any good for the Night Spirit?

G.

This one is manual, how is that one working for you? These sound like they come from the same factory.Curious to see it in hand to look at removing the auto iris if it has one.
This is the spec sheet I found for it. http://www.cctvcam.com/computar/v2513.htm
and the auction.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371277899161?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Hopefully I will have a good unit to test it on.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 1:15:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

This one is manual, how is that one working for you? These sound like they come from the same factory.Curious to see it in hand to look at removing the auto iris if it has one.
This is the spec sheet I found for it. http://www.cctvcam.com/computar/v2513.htm
and the auction.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371277899161?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

G.

and the auction.

The lens was great, but I sold my NSP2 a while back but it worked great while I had it. BTW, removing the autoiris was fairly easy, and if you bag every screw the mod can be easily undone. The reason why I went with that one is b/c it was F1.3 instead of F1.4 and b/c it was available, not much of a difference but enough to get it and go to the trouble to remove the auto-iris. I also tweaked the focus so its butter smooth and allowed for like 10 inches close focus capabilities...

G.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 1:59:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Well, this is my first dip into night vision, and this seemed like a workable solution for cheap. As money comes available I may just get one of those new PVS-14's on fleabay without the tube, and build my own. But, for now as a broke ass mo fo I think this will work.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 7:34:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Well I got my 1x lens from Amazon but the post office seems to have lost the adapter I ordered at the same time. Not sure if I even needed it because the lens screws right into the NSP2. Unfortunately it is 100% useless because I can't get it to focus at any range. The edges are a little distorted but I could probably live with that if it was the only problem. It has a manual iris but the only time the image isn't completely washed out is when it's barely open, again I don't think it would be a problem except it can't focus on anything.

Unless the C-Cs adapter is required to change the focal distance or something, maybe I do need it?
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 10:43:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm pretty sure you need the spacer, it adds 5mm.

The C/CS adapter ring connects the C mount lens to the CS mount camera. C mount lens has a 17.5mm back focal length, while CS mount lens has a 12.5mm back focal length. When a C mount lens is connected to the CS mount cameras, this 5mm height C/CS mount ring will adjust the image plane of the lens to where the sensor is mounted.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 11:10:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm pretty sure you need the spacer, it adds 5mm.

The C/CS adapter ring connects the C mount lens to the CS mount camera. C mount lens has a 17.5mm back focal length, while CS mount lens has a 12.5mm back focal length. When a C mount lens is connected to the CS mount cameras, this 5mm height C/CS mount ring will adjust the image plane of the lens to where the sensor is mounted.
View Quote

Wouldn't that 5mm be able to be made up by focusing at a certain range though? I've tried near and far and its nowhere close to being able to focus.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 11:30:52 PM EDT
[#8]
What are you all using to mount these to your rifles? I am interested in purchasing one of these for my rifles.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 11:34:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What are you all using to mount these to your rifles? I am interested in purchasing one of these for my rifles.
View Quote

I don't know if anyone has. It would probably double the weight of an AR15
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 11:39:22 PM EDT
[#10]
LOL whats an estimate on weight? I see a picture where it is mounted.

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 1:08:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Well I got my 1x lens from Amazon but the post office seems to have lost the adapter I ordered at the same time. Not sure if I even needed it because the lens screws right into the NSP2. Unfortunately it is 100% useless because I can't get it to focus at any range. The edges are a little distorted but I could probably live with that if it was the only problem. It has a manual iris but the only time the image isn't completely washed out is when it's barely open, again I don't think it would be a problem except it can't focus on anything.

Unless the C-Cs adapter is required to change the focal distance or something, maybe I do need it?
View Quote

You NEED the adapter.

G.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 1:41:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You NEED the adapter.

G.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You NEED the adapter.

G.

I hate the post office, and I hate Amazon for using them 90% of the time lately
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:46:33 AM EDT
[#13]
On another note, what does everyone think these can handle recoil wise?  I tried looking through the manuals and adds but haven't found anything specific.  I'd be looking at .22lr to start and maybe bumping to .223.  I fear placing one on a rifle will speed up its life expectancy rather quickly..  Maybe a pvs-4 would be better for that.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 12:44:13 PM EDT
[#14]
I can not seem to find one of these 1" sensor lenses for the life of me...
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 1:58:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I can not seem to find one of these 1" sensor lenses for the life of me...
View Quote

Look on ebay for a computar 1:3 25mm lens. They are 1" profile. Picked up mine for 25$, but I see they go up to well over 100$ for the same lens. None of the cheap lenses I looked at were above 1/2" profile.
Here is one for 60$ right now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/COMPUTAR-25MM-LENS-F-1-3-C-MOUNT-RARE-BMPCC-DIGITAL-BOLEX-D16-/121589954028?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c4f5375ec

I don't know how it will work yet. All my stuff is still shipping.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 8:41:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Got my NSP2 from apex. Not as clean as some of the units shown on here. I counted like 20 small burn marks or spots down near the IR. Not in the direct view, but all around the edges. Hmm, don't know that I recommend. The Computar lens fits fine without the adapter, and focuses fine. No vingette noticed around the edges, but at the moment I only have the darkness of the bathroom to test. No front cap, and no C123 adapter. I would say it is worth 350-400$ not 450$+shipping. Don't know that I will ever order from apex again.This is the second time I have purchased something  from them and have not been impressed or even completely satisfied. But, I will put these in a drawer and see what happens. Is there supposed to be a hole in the lens body?
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 11:09:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Got my NSP2 from apex. Not as clean as some of the units shown on here. I counted like 20 small burn marks or spots down near the IR. Not in the direct view, but all around the edges. Hmm, don't know that I recommend. The Computar lens fits fine without the adapter, and focuses fine. No vingette noticed around the edges, but at the moment I only have the darkness of the bathroom to test. No front cap, and no C123 adapter. I would say it is worth 350-400$ not 450$+shipping. Don't know that I will ever order from apex again.This is the second time I have purchased something  from them and have not been impressed or even completely satisfied. But, I will put these in a drawer and see what happens. Is there supposed to be a hole in the lens body?
View Quote

where... pic?

G.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 11:32:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Mine has two holes on opposite sides of the lens, but I can see a small flathead screw buried at the bottom of each hole
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 12:30:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Mine has two holes on opposite sides of the lens, but I can see a small flathead screw buried at the bottom of each hole
View Quote

Thats what they are. What are these for? I cant see any screws in mine. They are pretty dirty. May have been too brash in my review. It is not bad, but there are some burn marks. My son told me to stop being a dick, and the unit was fine for the money spent. He actually thinks it is cool that it has dirt and sweat from afghanistan on it. It works fine, just looks like it was rode hard, and put away wet. Speaking of wet how waterproof can I expect this to be. We get some serious rain out here that has killed cheap scopes.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 3:10:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Thats what they are. What are these for? I cant see any screws in mine. They are pretty dirty. May have been too brash in my review. It is not bad, but there are some burn marks. My son told me to stop being a dick, and the unit was fine for the money spent. He actually thinks it is cool that it has dirt and sweat from afghanistan on it. It works fine, just looks like it was rode hard, and put away wet. Speaking of wet how waterproof can I expect this to be. We get some serious rain out here that has killed cheap scopes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not sure what they are either, I didn't even notice them until you asked. Not sure how waterproof they still are, but I would guess they should hold up fine as long as nothing looks damaged.

Good news! My amazon lens adapter showed up today. The mail carrier put it in my neighbors mail box and she brought it back to me today. The lens works MUCH better now. It is completely useable with the 1x lens and focuses great too. There is a very very small amount of distortion around the edges but isn't really noticeable. Best $30 upgrade in my opinion.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 3:47:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I'm not sure what they are either, I didn't even notice them until you asked. Not sure how waterproof they still are, but I would guess they should hold up fine as long as nothing looks damaged.

Good news! My amazon lens adapter showed up today. The mail carrier put it in my neighbors mail box and she brought it back to me today. The lens works MUCH better now. It is completely useable with the 1x lens and focuses great too. There is a very very small amount of distortion around the edges but isn't really noticeable. Best $30 upgrade in my opinion.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am kinda liking the 1x lens myself. Which one did you buy? I did notice a slight loss of brightness with the Computar f/1.3 1" profile between the stock lens, but I expect that would be the case with such a small lens to collect light. Also, I did not need the adapter with this lens. It focuses fine without it. I am curious about the replacement tubes for these things.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 3:55:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I am kinda liking the 1x lens myself. Which one did you buy? I did notice a slight loss of brightness with the Computar f/1.3 1" profile between the stock lens, but I expect that would be the case with such a small lens to collect light. Also, I did not need the adapter with this lens. It focuses fine without it. I am curious about the replacement tubes for these things.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

this one from amazon and a $4 C-Cs adapter that adds a few mm and magically makes it work perfect. I'll have to try it outside at farther distances but in the dark bathroom it looked great.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 5:45:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The distortion is partly caused by the optical inverter, not the front lens... the tube ouput window isn't concave either so you are bound to get distortion from there too.

G.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 6:39:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
So I finally got courageous and took the NSP2 completely apart. I was itching to see what tube was inside and this is what I found out:

It has a 2.56 volt regulated PSU on the unit, thats the simple stuff, but the tube looks like it has the markings removed (sanded down) the only visible markings are 03010

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/t31.0-8/1957783_670566153057592_2430143533458148199_o.jpg

and  here is a picture with the PSU exposed...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/t31.0-8/1801399_670566149724259_8725216617124159404_o.jpg

I am not 100% sure what tube it is, but it looks like an EPM66G

http://www.ekran-os.ru/epm66geng

However, there are like 6 different variants of the EPM66G and I am not sure if there is any way to identify the tube without the actual lettering that was erased.

Any help would be appreciated.

G.
View Quote

Looking at my NS2 now. Same thing. Sanded down numbers and white lettering 01782. After having this thing apart I would say you should probably add a little grease to the threads if you want this to be 100 waterproof. It seems tight fitting, but there was not waterproofing done outside of the electronics that I could see. If there was it is all dried up now. Also, my intesifyer tube is all black. The ones that I have seen on here have had white potting, and this one is sealed in a all black case.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 6:11:50 PM EDT
[#25]
I got my C-CS adapter today. With the Comutar lens it is not necessary to use the adapter, and won't focus with it. Fucus from 1' to infinity is possible with this lens no problem. To protect the lens a 40.5 mm clear camera lens protection filter fits this lens. http://www.amazon.com/Kenko-40-5mm-Protector-Mullti-Coated-Filters/dp/B00G6J1NL4/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=18GW4GK5XS7188MGK7SQ

This has me curious about using a polarizing filter on NV to see what happens. With digital NV you get an xray effect that can see through clothing.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 7:14:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Looking at my NS2 now. Same thing. Sanded down numbers and white lettering 01782. After having this thing apart I would say you should probably add a little grease to the threads if you want this to be 100 waterproof. It seems tight fitting, but there was not waterproofing done outside of the electronics that I could see. If there was it is all dried up now. Also, my intesifyer tube is all black. The ones that I have seen on here have had white potting, and this one is sealed in a all black case.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So I finally got courageous and took the NSP2 completely apart. I was itching to see what tube was inside and this is what I found out:

It has a 2.56 volt regulated PSU on the unit, thats the simple stuff, but the tube looks like it has the markings removed (sanded down) the only visible markings are 03010

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/t31.0-8/1957783_670566153057592_2430143533458148199_o.jpg

and  here is a picture with the PSU exposed...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/t31.0-8/1801399_670566149724259_8725216617124159404_o.jpg

I am not 100% sure what tube it is, but it looks like an EPM66G

http://www.ekran-os.ru/epm66geng

However, there are like 6 different variants of the EPM66G and I am not sure if there is any way to identify the tube without the actual lettering that was erased.

Any help would be appreciated.

G.

It is probably the same tube, but just different year so different assembly...

G.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 10:20:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Alright, so I got the Computar lens linked earlier by xracer and decided to do a side by side. I will say the Computar is a noticeably bigger image but not by a huge margin. The image below is of my bathroom wall. That is a shower curtain on the left and a hanging towel on the right. The orange lines are the approximate vignetting. Overall I would say the Computar adds about 3-5 degrees to the FOV, which is nothing to sneeze at.

Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:03:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Alright, so I got the Computar lens linked earlier by xracer and decided to do a side by side. I will say the Computar is a noticeably bigger image but not by a huge margin. The image below is of my bathroom wall. That is a shower curtain on the left and a hanging towel on the right. The orange lines are the approximate vignetting. Overall I would say the Computar adds about 3-5 degrees to the FOV, which is nothing to sneeze at.

http://i.imgur.com/7I6dZx8.jpg
View Quote

Glad I went with the Computar lens instead of the elcheapo lens. Did you end up purchasing the one I linked you to on ebay, or did you find a better deal? Thanks for doing the comparison.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 3:30:47 PM EDT
[#29]
It was the same one you linked. Totally worth it. It adds about 1/6th of the diameter to the picture.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 8:45:45 PM EDT
[#30]
For a first time NV user who wants to mount on a helmet and walk around the woods at night, which is the better scope for the money, the PS14 or the Night Spirit? Is the PS14 worth the extra cash? For the guys who have bought them, which are in better condition from Apex?
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 9:35:29 PM EDT
[#31]
is this a good 1x lens for a NS2?

ebay link

or

ebay link 2
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 1:43:42 AM EDT
[#32]
If anyone is interested another Computar manual focus 25mm 1 1:3 lens popped up on ebay. The price for these things is nuts, but I have not seen any cheap ones pop up. I guess I got lucky. ebay link to lens
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 1:52:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
is this a good 1x lens for a NS2?

ebay link

or

ebay link 2
View Quote

I don't think those would work. The auto iris model can be gutted, but these look like they are auto focus as well. No way to focus them. To bad the price is right.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 10:52:57 PM EDT
[#34]
For anyone that bought a PS14 did it use a standard J arm or was it some other type of mount?
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 8:24:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Since they are back on sale, I ordered a Night Spirt 2. Can't wait to get it and try it out.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 10:00:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
For anyone that bought a PS14 did it use a standard J arm or was it some other type of mount?
View Quote

Jarm rhino mount works great (ps14on the left)
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 11:58:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Do you have one yet? They are extremely long and heavy. I wouldn't want it on a weapon
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've read this whole thread (parts a few time) but am trying to figure out if anyone successfully mounted the Night Spirit to their weapon? Would like to mount it behind a T-1 for hog hunting.

Thanks all

Do you have one yet? They are extremely long and heavy. I wouldn't want it on a weapon

I worked for SOC LLC, the contractor company that had these in Iraq.  We had no mounts for them over there, so what I did, just to see if it would work, was take my issued Night Spirit 2 and hold it with my hand behind my Aimpoint (Micro R1 painted black that I supplied myself, set on the lowest brightness setting) and it worked.  Thank God I never had to use that setup for real, but where I was, in a fixed elevated position it would have given me some ability to fight at night.

Then at my camp a National Guard unit with an excess of AN/PAS13's showed up.  Nice guys those Guardsmen.  Wish we could have convinced them to combat loss their thermal optics when they rotated out, but we got to use them while they were there.
Page / 10
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top