BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:43:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just ordered one for the Scar 17 to pair up with the Elcan.  Can't wait!
View Quote

That's gonna be a damn expensive gun!!!
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 8:30:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 5:03:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:47:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Can't wait but I waited too long to order. Two week delivery now :(
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:05:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:45:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I ordered the 16th and just got mine. Anxiously waiting for full dark! Oh and BTW, don't attempt to open a TNVC box at highway speeds with the windows down. There's enough packing peanuts in there to choke a elephant! The interior of my truck instantly turned into a life size snow globe!
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:47:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I ordered the 16th and just got mine. Anxiously waiting for full dark! Oh and BTW, don't attempt to open a TNVC box at highway speeds with the windows down. There's enough packing peanuts in there to choke a elephant! The interior of my truck instantly turned into a life size snow globe!
View Quote

TNVC does not skimp on proper packaging. I have had those peanuts scattered about a few times.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 5:39:31 PM EDT
[#8]
No, not at all! Just came back in from a 15 minute inspection. Blown away is a good way to describe what I'm feeling! I have gen 3 already and the clarity of this tube easily surpasses my other tube and my expectations. I didn't even look at this till after I checked out the tube.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 5:41:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Your specs are VERY nice !
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 5:50:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
No, not at all! Just came back in from a 15 minute inspection. Blown away is a good way to describe what I'm feeling! I have gen 3 already and the clarity of this tube easily surpasses my other tube and my expectations. I didn't even look at this till after I checked out the tube. http:// <a href=http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/3975justin/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140730_212143316.jpg</a>" />
View Quote

72lp/mm

Mmmmmm... like buttah.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 5:52:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks Dino, you and CJ7hawk have been very kind over the past few months, answering any and all questions I came up with. And TNVC did not disappoint, thanks Vic and crew! I see a Sentenal in my future, and know exactly where to source it.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 6:04:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Thanks Dino, you and CJ7hawk have been very kind over the past few months, answering any and all questions I came up with. And TNVC did not disappoint, thanks Vic and crew! I see a Sentenal in my future, and know exactly where to source it.
View Quote

You chose wisely and TNVC smiled upon you. One hell of a nice tube ! You will get many years of great use out of it. Go forth and get us some pics ! We love pictures.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 6:51:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Pitchers!? This thread is useless without pitchers! I've honestly taken a much stronger interest in astronomy since discovering NV as well as other cool stuff, so I'll do my best to find something cool enough to share with the hive.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 9:45:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Can't wait but I waited too long to order. Two week delivery now :(
View Quote

Does TNVC charge the card when they ship or when you order?
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 2:22:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Does TNVC charge the card when they ship or when you order?
View Quote

I got the charge upon ordering.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 1:54:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 2:14:51 PM EDT
[#17]
wow 72 lpmm,  how typical is that with this latest batch of L3 tubes?
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:02:47 PM EDT
[#18]
DevillWilllCry - DAMN, nice tube... (wait, that doesn't sound right).. Hope mine looks like that!
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:05:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Well, I'm in.  Damn, I'm good at spending money lately.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:48:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 7:14:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

+1 I'd like to know as well, because I'm very tempted to pick up another. Even at full price

Quoted:
DevillWilllCry - DAMN, nice tube... (wait, that doesn't sound right).. Hope mine looks like that!

Thanks! I have a feeling you will be in for a treat.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 12:54:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 3:09:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
This latest batch had a few more 72's than average.  

In regards to 72LP units, while that is a good number, there is not a drastic difference in resolution. It can be seen with slightly better details of tree branches, leaves, etc. Our big likes along with so many of our customers with our US contract L3 Mil Spec tubes is the all around performance specs themselves, they are superb, REALLY great performers. I cannot say enough how good the L3 tubes as of late are performing.

Thank you to all whom have ordered, your business is greatly appreciated and never taken for granted.

Vic
View Quote

Well, it looks like you guys shipped my L3 tube PVS-14 today. With some luck, maybe I'll have one of those 72LP's
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 9:46:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 6:34:07 PM EDT
[#25]
This was a feat of technological know-how for me btw, so apologies for any perception of iPotato (done manually with the iPhone). The images were really much clearer firsthand. The last tiny image is actually a link to a quick video through the device. The video seems to be slightly more representative of the resolution of using them with the naked eye.

I bought this device from this sale. Having used ITT gen 3 PVS-14 in a professional capacity in the past, and doing actual work with them, this unit is better than my old agency-issued mono! Really impressed TNVC. Thanks.

Moon-less night, scattered clouds & ambient big-city reflected light.

Link Posted: 8/3/2014 10:40:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 5:15:34 PM EDT
[#27]
A great sale is over and my unit ships tomorrow. I absolutely can't wait and have decided that next time Vic has a sale like that that I'm going to jump in on day one.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 8:14:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 4:58:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 5:00:57 AM EDT
[#30]
there going to be any black friday specials on these.. I need to start saving.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 5:14:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 7:14:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Well, it looks like you guys shipped my L3 tube PVS-14 today. With some luck, maybe I'll have one of those 72LP's
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In regards to 72LP units, while that is a good number, there is not a drastic difference in resolution. It can be seen with slightly better details of tree branches, leaves, etc. Our big likes along with so many of our customers with our US contract L3 Mil Spec tubes is the all around performance specs themselves, they are superb, REALLY great performers. I cannot say enough how good the L3 tubes as of late are performing.

Thank you to all whom have ordered, your business is greatly appreciated and never taken for granted.

Vic

Received mine today and just opened it up. Haven't tried it out yet. here is the sheet.

EDIT: Photo of data sheet removed.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 10:04:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Received mine today and just opened it up. Haven't tried it out yet. here is the sheet.

http://i58.tinypic.com/2dme0p2.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Vic

I guess yesterday wasn't your lucky day as you didn't get a 72LP. These are supposed to be Omni VIII tubes, right. Comparing your spec sheet to this post, http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_18/317705_.html , it looks like your specs are between Omni VI and VII. Now the spec sheet for the one shown on page 3 looks more like I'd expect for an Omni VIII. Your FOM (Figure of Merit, calculation of S/N and resolution) seems average at best and is about 15% lower than the tube whose specs are listed on page 3. The Night Enforcers being sold 3 years ago generally all had specs that were equal to and in many cases exceeded the specs of the tube who's data sheet is on page 3. I know comparing an ITT tube to an L3 tube could be called comparing apples to oranges, but if your a numbers or data sheet junkie, I would have expected more from a tube that is supposed to be Omni VIII and 3 years newer than older tubes with better average specs.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 12:48:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Omni VIII specs are actually slacker then Omni VII, due to difficulty in producing the numbers to meet demand. That's not the whole story though, nor the place, but if you look around you'll find the info. Jrpett, looking through a tube is the best evaluation. I had a high spec Omni VII tube that had a bad "screen door" and it pissed my eyes off something fierce. I prefer a clean tube that's easier on the eyes over specs any day. Both? Now we're talking!
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 1:46:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I guess yesterday wasn't your lucky day as you didn't get a 72LP. These are supposed to be Omni VIII tubes, right. Comparing your spec sheet to this post, http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_18/317705_.html , it looks like your specs are between Omni VI and VII. Now the spec sheet for the one shown on page 3 looks more like I'd expect for an Omni VIII. Your FOM (Figure of Merit, calculation of S/N and resolution) seems average at best and is about 15% lower than the tube whose specs are listed on page 3. The Night Enforcers being sold 3 years ago generally all had specs that were equal to and in many cases exceeded the specs of the tube who's data sheet is on page 3. I know comparing an ITT tube to an L3 tube could be called comparing apples to oranges, but if your a numbers or data sheet junkie, I would have expected more from a tube that is supposed to be Omni VIII and 3 years newer than older tubes with better average specs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Vic

Are you insane?! Those are superb specs for a $2800 unit -- and look at the blemishes(!) -- NADA!

Those specs ARE Omni VIII, and it met and exceeded them with flying colors.

Holy crap, man. Seriously?

JRPETT -- that's a frickin' AWESOME tube. It's VERY RARE to get one without a single registered blemish. Even Omni VII specs allow for some blemishes. Your tube will look STELLAR when wearing it.

If you want, IM me and I'll trade that L3 tube for one of my brand new, still-under-ITT-warranty Omni VII contract tubes.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 2:59:08 PM EDT
[#36]
great specs

Also you may consider taking the picture down and just typing your specs in

i read somewhere its no-no to post a pic of the data sheet per ITAR since we have international members on these boards.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 3:18:06 PM EDT
[#37]
I thought those specs were above par at least I hope so it's similar to my tube sheet
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 3:34:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 4:12:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
great specs

Also you may consider taking the picture down and just typing your specs in

i read somewhere its no-no to post a pic of the data sheet per ITAR since we have international members on these boards.
View Quote

I don't see how? Any merit to this?
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 4:15:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 4:24:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Well so are the actual units themselves and videos and pictures are prevalent. So would it be wise to remove pics? Don't need to go to a federal PMINTA prison just yet.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 4:38:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 4:56:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Point taken. Pic removed under protest
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 5:04:36 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Are you insane?! Those are superb specs for a $2800 unit -- and look at the blemishes(!) -- NADA!

JRPETT -- that's a frickin' AWESOME tube. It's VERY RARE to get one without a single registered blemish. Even Omni VII specs allow for some blemishes. Your tube will look STELLAR when wearing it.

If you want, IM me and I'll trade that L3 tube for one of my brand new, still-under-ITT-warranty Omni VII contract tubes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Vic

Eh? According to my specs, it's right in the middle of Omni VIII - Looks like a typical Omni VIII to me? Well, I hadn't updated that table ( problems uploading to ARF ) so I updated it manually.

Anyway, I did some further analysis, and it's pretty close to the standard Omni VIII line - EBI for an Omni VIII should be around 1.6 @ 2100 rising to 2.0 @ 2200 - and it's pretty close to that range (+/- 0.2), so sits in the standard realm for such tubes.

Also, it's going to provide better performance under very dark conditions ( eg, 50 uLux ) than would a tube with lower EBI/PC as long as the temp is below 20c - because it will general more photoelectrons with a PC that high.

And zero blems :)

That looks like a pretty good tube to me - it's close to exceptional, and Omni VIII is only 64 lp... And as I've mentioned several times before, they are two graduations on the same scale - so a 64 means between 64 and 72 and 72 means above 72, but with the high light performance, it's clear that this tube is pretty close to 72, so the human eye won't be able to tell the difference.

Though if the OP is worried, I'm sure he can get someone to put it on a test set and see how far above the cutoff mark it is - but it's going to perform well in excess of the cut-off.

If I had to put that tube in a category, I'd say it will perform very well under dark conditions, with an excellent image, and is more suited to tactical use than Astronomy.

Regards

David.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 5:20:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Just a quick update. I got to play around with it last night, and yeah, it's a spotless tube compared to my 10 year old Night Quest that had a rather large zone two blemish in it. I had posted a picture of it several weeks back. Autogating is pretty neat too, I don't have to keep playing with the manual brightness control now everytime I scan from light to dark areas. And it's definitely "brighter" too, as I can distinctly see the difference in using the aimer & illuminator from the PEQ-2 vs. my old one. I'm pleased with it.

I only have one concern though and I emailed TNVC and they advised it would be OK for me to do this. When I adjust the focus to infinity, it stops just a hair too early. Although the focus is nice, I know it can get better as if I tighten the lens, even if it is a little bit, it still gets clearer. I have the proper .035 allen wrench to loosen the locking ring. How much should I turn it? Enough to allow the lens to rotate another 10 or 20 degrees? If I turn it too much, would it be possible for the lens to overfocus beyond infinity and start to blur again? (I know that's not the right term but I think someone will understand). I'm comfortable doing this but just would like a little advice here as I'm sure someone has had an issue like this before.

-Thanks

ETA: I got it all taken care of. It just needed to rotate another 10-20 degrees and it's spot on now.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 5:28:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Autogated tubes are definitely nice, especially L3 tubes since they are quiet. My ITT tube buzzes like a bee the entire time. This new L3 only buzzes on start up, then its silent. How's yours?
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 5:45:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Autogated tubes are definitely nice, especially L3 tubes since they are quiet. My ITT tube buzzes like a bee the entire time. This new L3 only buzzes on start up, then its silent. How's yours?
View Quote

Funny you should mention that. I totally had forgotten that an autogated tube was supposed to "whine." I was playing around with it, turning it on and off and never even noticed it. The first time I heard it was right before I put it away for the night when the TV's were off and everybody was in bed. I had it about a foot away, turned it on and heard the whine for a half second. It's so quiet that you can't even hear it if it is more than a foot away. And the only time I hear it is right when you first turn it on, other than that it is silent.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 8:30:01 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 10:03:27 AM EDT
[#49]
Hmmm interesting. I shouldn't say mine buzzes like a bee, it's more like a mosquito. Not obnoxious but definitely audible. I don't get the chance to handle anywhere close to as many tubes as you do, but it seems like all the ones I've known are ITT buzz at a db where I notice it. Again not obnoxious, but there. I've only handled two tubes that I knew for a fact were L3, including the one I just got from you and both whined on start up alone then were dead quiet. Not much to go on, or a deal breaker either way, but definitely worth noting in my limited experience.  BTW, the unit I just got from you is easily the best I've handled and is definitely my favorite.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 10:25:56 AM EDT
[#50]
ive never actually been able to hear my ITT tnv/pvs-14 until last weekend

even with it hanging off the front of my face goofing around the woods in the middle of the night.
then one night playing in the garage i was like oh yeah!! let me see if i can hear it buzz.

I literally had to lay my ear onto the unit to hear it.

my gen 1 stuff i can hear as it is hanging on my head.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top