BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:26:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Cool. I'm surprised that you'd invest in a company that, how did you put it, doesn't treat civilian consumers to better service as well as FLIR does. Why the change of heart? Does this mean the signal-to-noise ratio for FLIR products will decrease and you'll be spending more time discussing L3 offerings? That would be a refreshing change.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My shares in L3 are going up and up thanks to jcriley!!

Cool. I'm surprised that you'd invest in a company that, how did you put it, doesn't treat civilian consumers to better service as well as FLIR does. Why the change of heart? Does this mean the signal-to-noise ratio for FLIR products will decrease and you'll be spending more time discussing L3 offerings? That would be a refreshing change.

I blame it all on you, but where do you get your ATN stock certificates from?

I only discuss the products that I own and use, which happen to be genuine FLIR and you have such a problem with me owning and using these?

What brand of rifle do you suggest that I use, what brand of ammo do you think I should use, what day optics do you suggest I use, what IR lasers do you want me to use, what suppressor should I use specifcally to please you?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:41:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Interesting that anyone here would believe that, but jcriley has posted this over 50 times, so obviously he has convinced himself!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
There's more people that agree with you than you may realize. He's already done a good job chasing the ATN guy out of this forum. Now he's ripping on L3. How long until he finds fault in the thermapp? In a way I can't blame him though, it's in his best interest to pimp products for a company in which he has a financial interest as a stockholder.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Why yes, it is. The THOR appeared to be the first serious contender to FLIR in the thermal weaponsight field, and it was generally well received by people who either had, or had the opportunity to use one. But once the FLIR fanboys felt threatened by it, the threads ALWAYS regressed into discussing ATN as the company, rather than discussing the sight. It went so far as SkyPup going over to ATN's industry forum and trolling it to the point that his posts had to be removed. So yes, he did chase him out of the forum, and prevented readers in this forum from hearing about something other than FLIR products. Deliberate censorship, regardless of whether it's from the operators of a site, or by it's users, is not a good thing.

Interesting that anyone here would believe that, but jcriley has posted this over 50 times, so obviously he has convinced himself!

If the facts are on your side, argue the facts.  If they aren't, attack the character of your opponent.  Standard loud mouth debate tactics. You are wasting you time on this one, pup.  Let's keep the information on track.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:46:40 PM EDT
[#3]
10-4, but just for the record, I do not post on ATNs Industry Site, primarily due to the fact I do not own any ATN gear.

And, since this is Fordkickasses thread, I am sorry to have muddied it up, but I do not believe he thinks that I come into his thread to degrade his LWTS.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 4:01:28 PM EDT
[#4]
UPDATE:  I spoke with SPI on the phone today and, according to our conversation, they are going to make the whole missing video cable thing right with me and send one today at no charge.  When I ordered back in April they were running a promotion that included a free video cable (~$500ish retail from them) with each LWTS purchased from them.  Despite my order being during the promo and mentioned at the time of sale, I didn't receive one.  The promotion ended a while back and they emphasized on the phone that THESE ARE NO LONGER FREE, but since I ordered during the promotion period and never got one that they would go ahead and send one out.   I will update in a couple days when it will hopefully arrive.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 4:03:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I think your forum posts and resulting backlash against SPI have given them a black eye (a good thing, IMO) and they're compelled to make it right.

Link Posted: 10/7/2014 7:03:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Does the LWTS have threads on the objective lens for the possibility of adding an extender lens?
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 8:17:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Does the LWTS have threads on the objective lens for the possibility of adding an extender lens?
View Quote

Not a good idea for a collimated weapon thermal scope...
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 8:19:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
UPDATE:  I spoke with SPI on the phone today and, according to our conversation, they are going to make the whole missing video cable thing right with me and send one today at no charge.  When I ordered back in April they were running a promotion that included a free video cable (~$500ish retail from them) with each LWTS purchased from them.  Despite my order being during the promo and mentioned at the time of sale, I didn't receive one.  The promotion ended a while back and they emphasized on the phone that THESE ARE NO LONGER FREE, but since I ordered during the promotion period and never got one that they would go ahead and send one out.   I will update in a couple days when it will hopefully arrive.
View Quote

Whoo Hoo!

Now I wanna see some KILL VIDEOS!!!
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 8:43:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good point but it might me useful if you were using it non-mounted like a standalone spotting monocular like I would use it
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 9:06:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Yep it is threaded so it could take a magnifier if they decided to make one.  Of course it would then have to be collimated with that lens if you wanted to use it in the clip-on mode.  For stand-alone, as you mentioned, you're right that would work nicely and would make a great addition to the unit's versatility.  All that being said, I am absolutely in love with it as it is with the OEM lens setup. My horizontal FOV is 14.2 degrees at 1x and 7.1 degrees at 2x.  This amounts to a LARGE FOV at the native 640x480 resolution, MUCH larger than other units I have owned in the past on top of having infinitely better contrast, detail, and image in general.  

I've paid a great deal of attention to SkyPup's posts regarding his T70 vs. T75 and have come to the conclusion that I don't think I would necessarily want a monster objective lens with its associated smaller FOV.  The last night shot I made on vermin that was actually over 200 yards was in 2007 and done w/ a PVS-14 behind a 3-9 cheapo scope.  While it would be nice to have the capability, I just can't see tailoring my setup for shots that are the exception rather than the rule.  For an optional add-on magnifier, however, you would have the ability to drop it on when you plan on doing long range shooting.  So, yes, I would VERY much dig it if L3 released something like that

As for the videos, as soon as that cable gets here I'm going to be trying it.  I'm excited to do some video since there really isn't much out there.  Pics are nice, but I think some good video will really show off the incredible image quality produced by this spectacular device.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 9:36:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Most of us, me included, have a difficult time placing precision thermal kill shots on hogs and coyotes at night over 300 yards anyways after proper ID.

My take is that if you cannot stalk up any closer than that, you shouldn't be hunting at night....or using great big lenses...
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 11:53:34 PM EDT
[#12]
On a related note to my finally getting a video cable for my LWTS, I need a DVR.  I was waiting to actually get (or confirmation that I would be getting) the cable before bothering to buy a DVR.  Aside from this application, I have no use for one, so I wanted to make sure it would have a purpose before I spent any money on it.  Are there any devices on the market that would record thermal video AND do something else useful like take good daylight footage?  I have no true camcorder, just my phone and my canon digital camera, so I wouldn't be opposed to a decent camcorder even if it was a little more money.  I dislike buying something w/ only one use.  I have searched google for camcorders w/ video in but haven't had much luck tonight.  I think SkyPup uses the SPI DVR and the UNV DVR, and I was leaning toward the UNV DVR due to the features, but again, I'd like a multipurpose device if possible.  I am open to any suggestions, especially from you tech-savvy guys.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 11:58:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Man it sure does suck having to spend one of my vacation days out at the farm zeroing my LWTS on my different night guns  First world problems much?  Pics to follow tonight when I can get to an actual computer.
View Quote

So it has the ability to save multiple zeroes for different rifles?
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 12:14:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Man it sure does suck having to spend one of my vacation days out at the farm zeroing my LWTS on my different night guns  First world problems much?  Pics to follow tonight when I can get to an actual computer.

Yes, in a couple different ways.

1.  There are two user adjustable reticles that adjust independent of one another.  One is tailor made for the M4/M16 series of rifles with a bullet drop compensator for battlesight zero out to 500 yards.  The second is meant for the M136 (AKA AT-4 rocket launcher) that has a drop compensator out to several hundred yards as well (I forget how far since I don't regularly use that one).  You could have a rifle zeroed to each and just switch reticles based on which rifle you're using.  The M136 drop is pretty steep so it would maybe suit a subsonic cartridge well but you would need to figure out where each hash mark worked for each individual range of your particular subsonic cartridge.  Both reticles work as if they were in the first focal plane, meaning that they remain faithful regardless of whether you are at WFOV (1x) or NFOV (2x).

2.  Regardless of which reticle you're using, the X/Y axis (windage/elevation) values are visible so you can record what values are accurate for each rifle/ammunition/range combination you have.  I have an Excel document in which I record the platform, type of ammunition, X/Y reticle values, rail slot #, and range zeroed at.  I have done this w/ previous thermal scopes, it worked for them and it works for this one too

ETA:  When I am finished compiling zero information, it will be recorded on a small piece of paper affixed to the bottom of the LWTS's LaRue QD mount.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 1:07:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Yet another delightful feature that I may or may not have mentioned is the fully adjustable LED display brightness.  This is especially useful when zeroing on a rifle in the daytime.  I was EASILY able to adjust the brightness enough to compensate for a cloudless FL summer day so I could still get a perfect image and zero my Daniel Defense 5.56 and TACCOM 22 upper in stand-alone mode.  Aside from the absence of image capture, I don't know of anything the designers of this wonderful sight could've done to make it better.  I've mentioned the controls again and again ad nauseum but it is for good reason.  The controls are so intuitive that it becomes second nature after a couple uses.  It is truly a well thought out piece of equipment.  The only thing I've purchased in recent years of comparable price was my beautiful wife's engagement ring...  I must say, I am ALMOST as happy with my LWTS as I am the results of said engagement ring.  My wife is AWESOME in every single sense of the word  When I purchased this, her only words about it were "well, you always wanted one and you earned it."
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 11:37:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Well, better late than never...  SPI came through  My video cable adapter came today, I will be checking function this weekend.  While I would have preferred a 90 degree angle for the cable adapter, I am VERY grateful for this one and the fact that they finally made good on their offer from last Spring.  Thank you, SPI, for making this right!

Link Posted: 10/10/2014 2:53:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Glad you got one for free, but IMO its very kludgy in form factor, like it was designed for test, not the field. Still a very cool scope, and I'm jelly.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 4:53:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Glad you got one for free, but IMO its very kludgy in form factor, like it was designed for test, not the field. Still a very cool scope, and I'm jelly.
View Quote

Yep I'd have to agree with you, it's not at all ideal in size or shape plus it is NOT flexible.  BUT, I won't be using it every time I use the scope (not by a long shot) so it'll work for what I want/need.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 11:27:04 AM EDT
[#19]
That cable works!!    One very nice thing I wasn't expecting is that ALL of the symbology is exported as well!

Link Posted: 10/11/2014 12:30:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Having the video out turned on will power down you batteries in a hurry, so be sure to have spares on hand when using it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 12:48:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Having the video out turned on will power down you batteries in a hurry, so be sure to have spares on hand when using it.
View Quote

Sound advice, I found that out the hard way on one of my earlier thermals.  That one used big 6v rechargeable batteries though so replacing a dead battery wasn't as simple as robbing my Xbox or TV remote.  I've been keeping a second full set of AA lithiums in the pouch but I have been extremely impressed w/ the battery life thus far.  The one complaint I had about my X50 thermal eye was the crazy short battery life.  

The LWTS tagged along while walking the dag this morning, holy cow what a stunning image!  It seems to provide a nice crisp image regardless of conditions, but when it is coolish and lower humidity like it was this morning...  it really must be seen to be believed.  I remember getting my first thermal in 2007, this is sooooooooo far advanced from that device that they really shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 9:27:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Chihuahua?
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 10:12:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Chihuahua?
View Quote

Nope but we did look at those.  We wound up getting a puppy from the Sarasota shelter in August and have NO idea what breed he is.  HE IS AWESOME!!  Obligatory non-thermal dag pic below, he loves to hang out in between my knees while I arfcom

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 5:44:35 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Thanks for the nice pics and glad to hear that you are enjoying your new thermal, it has been a long time coming and now that you have it you will enjoy many fine night hunts with it.

It is truly amazing how well insulated ducks and other birds are. When I first got my LS-64 I thought it would be great to for retrieving ducks in the lilly pads, you'd thing it would work great with a hot duck laying in cold water, but that is not the case, their feather insulate the heat so much the have little to no thermal signature except for their head and feet.

A video cable would be nice, you'd think that would be part of the kit to begin with as it is a thermal video camera after all and has a video out port? Kinda sux that is not part of the package but hope you get your hands on one soon.
View Quote

I agree.  Considering the amount of money I spent on my LWTS, I consider it almost criminal that they want $1300 for a cable that should have beeb part of the package.

But I knew that going in, so my complaint is a bit pointless.

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 12:12:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
That cable works!!    One very nice thing I wasn't expecting is that ALL of the symbology is exported as well!
View Quote

Wow! That is a very nice picture, the OSD overlays are fantastic. No breakup or any pixels out of sync as almost all other OSD overlays have some issues from what I see.
You know when the horizontal lines disappear on the armasight or the atn thermals when the video is recorded. It looks like L3 used a higher resolution to place the OSD then re sampled the display for proper rs-170 video output, not something that happens by accident.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 2:32:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k277/cake5150/20141011_111211_zps6d9f2782.jpg

Wow! That is a very nice picture, the OSD overlays are fantastic. No breakup or any pixels out of sync as almost all other OSD overlays have some issues from what I see.
You know when the horizontal lines disappear on the armasight or the atn thermals when the video is recorded. It looks like L3 used a higher resolution to place the OSD then re sampled the display for proper rs-170 video output, not something that happens by accident.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k277/cake5150/20141011_111211_zps6d9f2782.jpg

I take it that is a good thing?  I'm rather naive on audio/video technicalities, any chance you could translate?  I was expecting a significantly grainier image, but it was beautiful and smooth even on my 51" plasma
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 3:24:56 PM EDT
[#27]
When video is output composite video signal, yellow rca jack on vcr's or rca style composite video in on tv sets.

The digital image quality is much better inside the thermal and gets converted to a video composite signal for output to the video jack ie. video output

It's a lower quality output, well how the converting is done makes the difference between a good stable picture or a picture that is jumpy or an overlay that looks like it was put on top of the picture.

The OSD display looks like it was part of the picture not just put on top floating around, when you see a good background image and a overlay like cross hairs.
When the cross hairs move a little that is a sync issue, when they disappear in the recording probably an overlay mixed with the video signal and depending on the recorder may showup with thick lines or may have 1/2 the line disappear. Well if the two, video and overlay are combined and resampled  digital to analog conversion, like listening to a mp3 music recording. The digital information will sound like hissing, but when it is converted to analog then it sounds like  music. The conversion process makes the difference, the video output will look like a seamless picture like the one you posted when it is done properly.
vs an old atari video game with the score floating around in the corners.

Others may chine in that have more knowledge on the inner workings of the devices, I doubt that I could get any schematics on any of the thermals out there. The schematic is the key to the kingdom , all the greatness and all the screw up the engineers did will be revealed.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 3:33:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
When video is output composite video signal, yellow rca jack on vcr's or rca style composite video in on tv sets.

The digital image quality is much better inside the thermal and gets converted to a video composite signal for output to the video jack ie. video output

It's a lower quality output, well how the converting is done makes the difference between a good stable picture or a picture that is jumpy or an overlay that looks like it was put on top of the picture.

The OSD display looks like it was part of the picture not just put on top floating around, when you see a good background image and a overlay like cross hairs.
When the cross hairs move a little that is a sync issue, when they disappear in the recording probably an overlay mixed with the video signal and depending on the recorder may showup with thick lines or may have 1/2 the line disappear. Well if the two, video and overlay are combined and resampled  digital to analog conversion, like listening to a mp3 music recording. The digital information will sound like hissing, but when it is converted to analog then it sounds like  music. The conversion process makes the difference, the video output will look like a seamless picture like the one you posted when it is done properly.

Others may chine in that have more knowledge on the inner workings of the devices, I doubt that I could get any schematics on any of the thermals out there. The schematic is the key to the kingdom , all the greatness and all the screw up the engineers did will be revealed.
View Quote

Thanks, that makes a lot more sense.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 3:40:47 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Reading this thread is a bit like reading a thread discussing the merits of a Ferrari 458 versus those of an Aventador.

View Quote
yeah this. Also thermals are illegal here,

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 3:43:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Does your thermal have a connection for an external power supply?

This is what I made for my zeus 5 75mm 60hz thermal

after a little paint

8+ hrs runtime and rechargeable, plus the internal 3-5hr batts.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 3:53:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Does your thermal have a connection for an external power supply?

This is what I made for my zeus 5 75mm 60hz thermal

http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w381/Hard_ware/Zeus518650_zps6ee2b3aa.jpg

after a little paint
http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w381/Hard_ware/B18650BatteryPack_zps8fc2aa87.jpg

8+ hrs runtime and rechargeable, plus the internal 3-5hr batts.
View Quote

No external power connection on this one that I know of.  That is, unless the elaborate 19pin connector was intended for that also (ETA:  yes the connector does also function as an external power connection w/ a factory L3 cable).  We had an external power jack on our AN/PAS-19s that was really handy when shooting from a vehicle, but those were battery hogs.  This unit seems to be remarkably efficient so I don't feel the need for that as much as on the 19.  The manual states 7 hours for a full set of four AA batteries and, while I haven't actually timed my use, I believe that to be at least accurate if not somewhat conservative.  It also comes with a second battery cartridge with protective waterproof case so you can just pull out the dead ones and throw in the new ones when the time comes.  If it had image/video capture to a micro SD card and an InstAlert equivalent mode I would consider it perfect IMHO.ower jack on our AN/PAS-19s that was really handy when shooting from a vehicle, but th
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 4:14:35 PM EDT
[#32]
With that amount of runtime off 4 AA's no external pack needed.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 12:40:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hard_ware, is this why the FLIR video on youtube that addresses zeroing the RS device appears to show the horizontal crosshair turn into dots rather than a line at every other elevation adjustment?  I had some downtime after church today so I looked at other videos trying to get a visual of what you are describing.  Now knowing that the video out will have all symbology, I'd like to get a good video running through all the menus and functions.  As soon as I decide on a recording device or otherwise get the use of one I will be doing this and uploading.  I've never really uploaded video on the interwebs before, is photobucket the best method of doing that or is there a better way?  That UNV DVR looks pretty appealing but, being that I don't ABSOLUTELY NEED one right now I'd hate to buy one and then regret it after the SHOT show (a problem many of us face yearly regarding new stuff).
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 12:03:45 PM EDT
[#34]
These are not water proof need to be put in case, but record in HD the lowest mode will capture full composite video resolution
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-HD-1080P-LCD-DVR-HD-DVR1-Motion-Detection-Video-Photo-Surveillence-Camera-/140852976906?pt=US_Surveillance_Digital_Video_Recorders_Cards&hash=item20cb7ddd0a
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 9:37:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Got my OD Tavor today, it is quite a well-balanced weapon...  even w/ 1.8 lb of awesome at the end of it  It turned out to be a perfect fit for where I wanted my 1-6 optic.  It even has a tritium front sight post in case all my other NV/thermal fails.  After handling the Tavor for 15 min I can't imagine why I didn't buy one sooner, this is a really handy little rifle.  Hopefully it shoots decent

Link Posted: 11/2/2014 10:55:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Nice, I like it, post some kills shots with it!
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 12:31:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Nice, I like it, post some kills shots with it!
View Quote

So far no joy finding somewhere to hunt hogs down here, I'm stuck at the range  All dressed up and nowhere to go!
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:57:19 PM EDT
[#38]
I just had to post this here for completion's sake, I will be investing in a UNV DVR soon so I can record the next one.

Tavor, PA 1-6 gen2, L3 LWTS clip-on, 69gr Privi...  and it was pitch dark out w/ the cloud cover, canopy, and light rain.  It was like someone yanked the carpet out from under her when that thing went through her grape.  One shot, one kill.  FIRST HOG EVER FOR ME!!  I got to learn how to skin and quarter it and got a TON on pork out of the deal!  Next time I'll have my SDN-6 w/ me so I won't need earpro

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:16:59 PM EDT
[#39]
+1
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:35:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Schweet.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:41:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Congrats
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 3:33:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Just got my UNV MDVR to record video, check out this quick one of the dag.  UNV took good care of me and got it shipped out FAST, thanks a bunch!  Parts of the icons (horizontal lines on M16 reticle) seem to appear or disappear depending on zoom but other than that it looks pretty good.  More to come!

hot dag

ETA:  I just watched the photobucket link and it appears to be slightly degraded compared to the file on my computer.  I suppose that is to be expected.  So far I really like the MDVR, it's smaller than I anticipated
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 1:49:49 AM EDT
[#43]
The UNV MDVR is marvelous.  I got some great videos this week including a good one of the thermal seeing subsonic 22 LR rounds all the way into their target...  awesome.  I should've gotten that DVR sooner, this is a blast.  Hopefully will get to upload tomorrow or the 26th.  Also some suppressed SMG action
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 11:19:58 AM EDT
[#44]
Now try that on a coyote and pull the trigger!
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 12:32:18 AM EDT
[#45]
Here is a clip of me shooting some cans filled with water and also my steel trap.  Notice that you can watch the subsonic 22 rounds flying through the air  Who needs tracers when you have an LWTS  The 10/22 was being a jammomatic but other than that it was a lot of fun!  It is sort of rough on photobucket maybe due to the "processing" they do to it after the upload completes.  

22 through thermal

ETA:  It helps if you let the video load all the way before actually playing it, I hadn't been doing that.  Much smoother if it is all the way buffered or whatever.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 8:49:57 PM EDT
[#46]
nice video

Link Posted: 2/2/2015 2:52:43 AM EDT
[#47]
I have had numerous emails/IMs in the last two weeks asking about my LWTS.  How well it does with certain degrees of magnification, what batteries I use, how is the FOV, what is it like at 2x, toughness, lots of other stuff, and if I regret my purchase of such a high dollar item.  Interest has increased lately especially with the advent of the IR patrol, which I have not used.

1.  I do NOT regret my purchase, this thing has an image quality that is basically black and white reality.  I've used numerous other thermals and nothing else comes close.
2.  Batteries, see earlier posts for full details.  Long story short, it uses AAs, as few as two of them.  
3.  The FOV is excellent, MUCH better than those others that I've used.  See below numbers for comparison, these are taken from the MFR's PDFs
 a.  LWTS:  14.2 degrees horizontal (native 1x 640x480), 7.1 degrees horizontal (NFOV 2x 320x240)
 b.  T-70:  9.4 degrees horizontal (1x), 18.8 degrees horizontal (1/2x), 4.7 degrees horizontal (2x)
 c.  IRD Patrol:  22 degrees
4.  Image quality is hard to judge because it is so subjective.  BUT, being that I have now looked through both the L3 LWTS AN/PAS-13G and its competitor, the FLIR T70, which lost the US Army competition, the LWTS (IMHO) is completely superior.  The only thing I would actually want off of the T70 is the crazy battery compartment.  Other members of snipershide had echoed these thoughts but it was only during this past month that I got to see these things myself.  "The PVS-14 and the W1000-9 thermal scope have killed more hogs than you ever could" was said to me last week.  I don't get to hunt often.  Still that is like saying an F-15C is superior to an F-22 because of its kill count.  
5.  Toughness:  I've now put four hundred rounds underneath it.  Nothing has changed.  It should not change though, it cost me more than my last car (I'm cheap and cars do nothing for me).  
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 8:58:01 AM EDT
[#48]
"The PVS-14 and the W1000-9 thermal scope have killed more hogs than you ever could" was said to me last week."

Haha, that is PHUNNY!

An my T-70's, that lost a government contract, continue to kill more hogs than anyone else I know too.

LOL, it is not what you have, it is all about your passion and what you do with it!
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top