Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/5/2014 2:53:31 PM EDT
New to NV and want either one of the TNVC PVS-4s or an M845.  Interested in using it on a rifle as well as for just hand-held observation. Price is about the same for these two, hence the comparison of two very different units.

What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 3:06:01 PM EDT
[#1]
PVS-4. Both are good units but IMHO the PVS-4 is a better platform. The main advantage it has is extremely good optics and interchangeable reticles. Parts for the PVS-4 are plentiful and they are easy to work on. I really like both scopes but the PVS-4 is my favorite.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 4:36:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd have to say it really depends on what you are doing with it. Are you hunting hogs in ridiculously thick mesquite? If the answer is yes then the M845 wins out by a large margin. Are you hunting over a set of feeders from a blind or other static position? PVS-4. Open fields? PVS-4. River bottoms? M845. It all depends on how you plan to utilize it.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 5:44:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd have to say it really depends on what you are doing with it. Are you hunting hogs in ridiculously thick mesquite? If the answer is yes then the M845 wins out by a large margin. Are you hunting over a set of feeders from a blind or other static position? PVS-4. Open fields? PVS-4. River bottoms? M845. It all depends on how you plan to utilize it.
View Quote

Why the difference? Do you just think the weight is easier to handle on the 845?
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 1:51:24 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm going with the 845 for the main reason...WEIGHT!!!  It is also built very well and I'd have one if I didn't have an D740 TNVC FTW again...
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 6:03:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I love my gen 2 m845.  I use it hand held occasionally.   I would say Pvs 4 if you are not going to use it hand held.    You will be happy with both so don't worry to much.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 6:34:58 AM EDT
[#6]
I use my pvs4 as a handheld unit and it's just fine. It's kind of heavy but manageable.the image quality is fantastic.  Both are using old tubes if I'm not mistaken. I would go pvs4 and not look back.  The red dot is appealing but the pvs4 reticle is just fine.what rifle are you wanting to put it on?
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 8:17:57 AM EDT
[#7]
The M845 has 1.5X and 2.8X options.  It is also less weight and bulk.  The PVS-4 has approx. a 4x lens.  It is also much heavier and bigger.  You can add a 6x lens off of a TVS-5 to the PVS-4, but you really add weight and bulk to it.

The PVS-4 really works well, although the M845 is no slouch.  While the big front lens makes the PVS-4 big & heavy, it also gathers a lot of light.  It has an adjustable gain feature, which helps you set it to the conditions you are in.

Link Posted: 6/6/2014 10:39:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 7:12:29 AM EDT
[#9]
I am in the exact same boat as the OP my choice is between the PVS4 Gen II or the M845 genII 2.8x. My hunts are from stands where the feeders are around 50-100 yards out. I wont be doing any stalking and can dedicate a rifle just for a night vision scope. I seem to be leaning towards the pvs4 but not too wild about the sight picture but could work around it.
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 6:27:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 7:41:46 AM EDT
[#11]
For my application, which is hog hunting in brush country, I picked the M845 for 3 reasons:

1. lighter weight - for stalking and off hand shooting.
2. red dot - for picking up running hogs faster
3. it uses standard aa batteries.

The pvs 4 seems to have some great features but didnt fit my application as well.  For stationary, longer range hunting the pvs 4 would probably be a better choice.
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 11:47:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You mean the reticles? Those can be changed.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am in the exact same boat as the OP my choice is between the PVS4 Gen II or the M845 genII 2.8x. My hunts are from stands where the feeders are around 50-100 yards out. I wont be doing any stalking and can dedicate a rifle just for a night vision scope. I seem to be leaning towards the pvs4 but not too wild about the sight picture but could work around it.
You mean the reticles? Those can be changed.

Yes sorry thats what I meant, the reticles, and I didnt know that they could be changed. Can the m845 be sighted in during day time?
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 1:08:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 1:28:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
No. I would advise against it. The thing is, even with the cap on, there is going to be too much light entering the tube, and prolonged exposure WILL cause tube damage. My advice is to wait until the sun has almost set for the day (approx 30 minutes left of daylight) , and sight it in, while still using the scope cap.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can the m845 be sighted in during day time?
No. I would advise against it. The thing is, even with the cap on, there is going to be too much light entering the tube, and prolonged exposure WILL cause tube damage. My advice is to wait until the sun has almost set for the day (approx 30 minutes left of daylight) , and sight it in, while still using the scope cap.

To add to what Eric said the M845 only has a pinhole cap which would probably get you on paper during dusk or dawn use with the cap but won't be accurate at night when the cap is removed. To be dead on you need to sight it in without using the pinhole cap.

There is a reason the PVS-4 has three holes in the cap with various filters to sight in or use during the daytime hours. The M845 does not have this type of lens cap. This link at CJ's site explains why a pinhole cap will have a POI shift once it is removed.

http://anvf.blackice.com.au/cgi-bin/nightvision/forum?index=discussions&story=poishift

This is another advantage a PVS-4 has. It can be accurately sighted in and even used during daylight hours. It was designed with this in mind.

Link Posted: 6/9/2014 2:34:29 PM EDT
[#15]
I like the ability to sight in during the day,but it only takes 5 minutes to sight a scope in a night.
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 2:52:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I like the ability to sight in during the day,but it only takes 5 minutes to sight a scope in a night.
View Quote

True, but it is nice to be able to go out in the daytime before a night hunt and put a couple shots down range to make sure everything is dialed in. You never know what got bumped hard on your way out to your hunting area. I still like both scopes. I have to defend the pvs-4 though !
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 2:58:16 PM EDT
[#17]
I^2 aiming systems can also be laser bore sighted offline just like a day optic to get on paper, so long as one has access to a "dark" space.  I find most residential garages without windows to be large enough and plenty dark enough even during daylight hours.
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 4:28:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Based on what others have said above looks like the pvs-4 might be the winner for me. I like the fact of being able to sight in day time. Plus I like the current price TNVC has for a gen 2, should be able to order soon.
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 5:19:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

True, but it is nice to be able to go out in the daytime before a night hunt and put a couple shots down range to make sure everything is dialed in. You never know what got bumped hard on your way out to your hunting area. I still like both scopes. I have to defend the pvs-4 though !
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cant argue with that! I have an IR laser on most of my rifles so I make sure they are both in tune with each other, but a lot of end user's are not set up that way. PVS-4 is a great scope. My only issue is that I have the upper body strength of a toddler and hunting companions wear their peltors not because of gunfire but to block out my whining.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 10:06:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Great info, guys.  Thanks a lot.

I think it's clear to me that I need a PVS-4 now.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 1:16:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Just got sent here and appreciate it.

I FULLY REALIZE this is a different animal all together, but the ATN X-Sight 5x HD Digital Night Vision Riflescope looks intriguing.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 4:00:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Just got sent here and appreciate it.

I FULLY REALIZE this is a different animal all together, but the ATN X-Sight 5x HD Digital Night Vision Riflescope looks intriguing.
View Quote

It seems like atn keeps delaying the release date makes me kind of wonder.
Edit: ATN response in industry section said mid July release for x sight. Did not mean to sound negative towards ATN apologies to Sachal.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 10:03:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top