User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 2:43:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Currahee:
Here are the rough drafts for the two articles I am writing for the website on the subject of NODs.  These are not listed in the menus yet.  Any feedback would be appreciated.

Introduction to Night Vision

Night Vision Camouflage
View Quote

OK, typos aside (and there are quite a few, BTW), I think the "Conclusion" on the Intro article is wanting. I'll try to think of what I'd like to see as someone who is new to the Night Vision world, and the real pitfalls to avoid and how not to get taken when buying such an expensive item(s).

The Camo article is better, IMO, but the "Conclusion" there is weak as well (and more spelling errors ).

If you're up for it, I'll try to be more specific later. Just swamped right now, and ARF is my 60-second sanity break throughout the day.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 5:04:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Currahee] [#2]
Originally Posted By TheHorta:

OK, typos aside (and there are quite a few, BTW), I think the "Conclusion" on the Intro article is wanting. I'll try to think of what I'd like to see as someone who is new to the Night Vision world, and the real pitfalls to avoid and how not to get taken when buying such an expensive item(s).

The Camo article is better, IMO, but the "Conclusion" there is weak as well (and more spelling errors ).

If you're up for it, I'll try to be more specific later. Just swamped right now, and ARF is my 60-second sanity break throughout the day.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TheHorta:
Here are the rough drafts for the two articles I am writing for the website on the subject of NODs.  These are not listed in the menus yet.  Any feedback would be appreciated.

Introduction to Night Vision

Night Vision Camouflage

Any input is appreciated.  I agree on the conclusion for the second article.  I have to go through those several times for typos etc, the program I use to write HTML has me working in a small little window and does some jinky format switching.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 5:19:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Doing the photo's with IR lum  would be good too. That is usually where some of the patterns that conceal well go down the drain.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 1:38:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I recently bought some ASAT pattern camo. The 6-pocket BDUs are mostly cotton, but the long-sleeve T shirts are 80% polyester. Looking in the nods the Ts shine like crazy and the camo pattern is almost completely washed out. The pants look good, the camo pattern stands out well and there is very little shine. I had some 100% cotton Ts with realtree and they look good and do not shine. I sent the poly Ts back and kept the pants. I would have to say natural fabrics definitely out-perform synthetics in this regard. Sorry no pics.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 12:51:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By RamblinWreck:
I recently bought some ASAT pattern camo. The 6-pocket BDUs are mostly cotton, but the long-sleeve T shirts are 80% polyester. Looking in the nods the Ts shine like crazy and the camo pattern is almost completely washed out. The pants look good, the camo pattern stands out well and there is very little shine. I had some 100% cotton Ts with realtree and they look good and do not shine. I sent the poly Ts back and kept the pants. I would have to say natural fabrics definitely out-perform synthetics in this regard. Sorry no pics.
View Quote

This has been my experience.  I still haven't used the IR spray, but I will......someday.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 2:03:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shawnmt6601] [#6]
Originally Posted By Delta4-3:
Doing the photo's with IR lum  would be good too. That is usually where some of the patterns that conceal well go down the drain.
View Quote

I have a PVS14 and a surefire  scout with the vampire IR head on it   IF I can get my 100 dollar camera to take pictures through my PVS14 I will hit some camo with the IR light and take pictures this weekend
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 2:20:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:56:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Agreed Vic. I've been trying a zillion settings and none of them compare to what the eye sees.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:57:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By TNVC:

Quick note about taking pics with IR Lum against cammo.  I have taken many pics over the years showing off cammo through a NOD and when IR lum is used, in most cases the camera does funky things with all the light coming in the camera and the pic is not a true representation how the cammo is really showing.

Vic
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Shawnmt6601:

I have a PVS14 and a surefire  scout with the vampire IR head on it   IF I can get my 100 dollar camera to take pictures through my PVS14 I will hit some camo with the IR light and take pictures this weekend

Quick note about taking pics with IR Lum against cammo.  I have taken many pics over the years showing off cammo through a NOD and when IR lum is used, in most cases the camera does funky things with all the light coming in the camera and the pic is not a true representation how the cammo is really showing.

Vic

I think number 3 of our NVG video series kind of captured that, filming different things through NVG with and without illum.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 12:54:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Curious to see how a pair of old blue jeans stack up against nods
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 1:22:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 7:43:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Currahee] [#12]

Hey Brother, where is that Vid? I may have overlooked it.  

Vic
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Shawnmt6601:

Vic

I think number 3 of our NVG video series kind of captured that, filming different things through NVG with and without illum.

Hey Brother, where is that Vid? I may have overlooked it.  

Vic

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:01:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Great post so far, thanks for taking it!

I'm really pissed I got rid of a set of the old "Grid" pattern camo a few years back - went to goodwill since I couldn't sell it on the EE.  

Anyway, I wanted to point out, if you end up doing some of the other patterns (multicam, ATACs, etc), I noticed that Propper put tags on some of them.  I bought an ATACS FG boonie hat last weekend, and it said that it wasn't treated for IR protection like the 'standard' military ACU/BDU is.

Just an FYI if you decide to get them, they come with and without IR in mind.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 9:23:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Awesome post. Thank you for taking the time to do this.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 3:42:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Spent last night working with NODs in the sticks.  I should have a new comparison vid from it and another one showing the kit we use.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 4:19:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:36:05 AM EDT
[#17]
I thought this was a pretty good read. There is a section in there about building your own "night gates" for concealment.

http://westernrifleshooters.wordpress.com/2014/09/17/repost-bracken-night-fighting-101/

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:12:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 5:05:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Currahee] [#19]
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 5:13:06 PM EDT
[#20]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sLDP1rMEU
View Quote

Nice!
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:46:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Really disappointed in the nightly camo jacket :/
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 11:11:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By pbjunkiee:
Really disappointed in the nightly camo jacket :/
View Quote

Yeah I was ready to head to the surplus store that Monday and buy some.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 11:58:32 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

Good video...
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 12:22:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By stutzcattle:

Good video...
View All Quotes

Good video...

Moral of the story:
Guacamole dye acus or buy multicam....
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 7:47:36 PM EDT
[#25]

Moral of the story:
View All Quotes

Good video...

Moral of the story:

I've been happy with how my standard propper multicam looks under NV/IR, but the denier stuff just washes out completely (but doesn't turn up overly dark or bright). Krylon camo paint actually does a decent job of keeping its relative brightness under IR too.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top